Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Volunteering « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a thought. I am not quite sure if it actually happens in Detroit. If it does, I have not heard about it so I apologize.
In Baltimore, we have two special events that occur every year for the past 10 years or so. Both events are aimed at volunteering to help improve the city. One is a work day that people can volunteer to go to a site in the city to make improvements. The companies they work for let them have the day off with pay in exchange for volunteering. They go to schools, parks, hospitals, etc. and spend the 8 hours painting, sweeping. building, etc. As an example, about 10 years ago, a group of abour 100 people joined with my neighborhood to hit the local elementary school and paint the entire building--rooms and hallways. Places that want the volunteers must apply for it and the materials needed to have it accomplished. Neighbors must also volunteer to be part of the process. The stuff that is done every year is amazing---parks cleaned, playgrounds built, buildings cleaned and painted, homes repaired and it goes on. Afterwords, there is a big party put on by the city with food, music, and even beer. Everyone who has been part of this has loved it and it gets bigger every year.
The second event is more for just the city folks but many burbans partake also. That is the annual spring clean up. 1000s volunteer to go thru parks, alleys, vacant lots, streams, whatever and pick up all the shit that accumulated over the winter. They collect the stuff in big bags and then the city comes along and picks it all up and dumps it.
Both of these events create a good aura about the city and assist in its slow transition for the better.
Again, if these events do occur in Detroit already I would like to know more about it because I have never heard of them occuring from folks I know who live in the city or the surrounding burbs.
Thanks for your patience reading this. Would it work there????

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 773
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spring cleanup, yes.... the month of may is Motor City Makeover month....more information on other threads...check it out!

the other idea sounds great

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/kc c/motorcity.htm

Thanks Motormayor---I looked up the info and above is a link for any and all who may be interested.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"spring cleanup, yes.... the month of may is Motor City Makeover month....more information on other threads...check it out!"

these would be the other threads:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/71656.html?1146448 367

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/71880.html?1146687834

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 998
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are also a lot of non-city sponsored opportunites, too
Last Saturday Friends of Belle Isle ran a clean up campaign. This Saturday Comerica's Hug Belle Isle will do the same (hopefully not totally redundant) and there's also a project at Fort Wayne. Other such groups do things through the season.

What I really wish we had is a website that lists all such opportunities for volunteerism in the area (or is there and I've missed it?).

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could use some help with my gutters and weeding the flower beds...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 795
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check Detroitsynergy.org

We've got all sorts of event and opportunites. In addition, if you've got an idea for one, come out to a meeting. Anybody can present and run or help run a project / event.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.