Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » David Byrne ponders the ruins of Maya, and Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1031
Posted From: 67.38.29.148
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from a lengthy journal meditation on Mayan culture at http://journal.davidbyrne.com/ about half way down. Seems to have come to a conclusion similar to Lowell's...

"Ogling ruins is way of meditating on our own inevitable deaths, and also, one assumes, of acknowledging our own hubris and that of our own civilizations. A humbling reminder that, yes, it all does return to dust, no matter how tall, massive or impregnable the buildings might be. There is, I admit, impressive survival — the tombs of Egypt — but it’s all for nothing in the end. The collapse, one senses, is always inevitable, despite leaders’ claims to eternal good and greatness.

I asked myself, 'Where are the contemporary ruins? Where are the ruins in progress? Where are our once great cites that are being abandoned as these ones were?'

I came up with Detroit.
(Sorry, sports fans.) Vast stretches of the city are already uninhabited, crumbling. The central temples, yes, are still in use — the temples for sports, conventions and ritualistic music concerts — but for how much longer? Will the beautiful deco buildings erected as working shrines by what were once the largest companies in the world (GM, Ford) soon be abandoned? They’re already surrounded by a no man’s wasteland; it seems only a matter of time. And then how long before people wander into that zone and ask themselves, 'Who built this incredible building?'

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1481
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I asked myself, 'Where are the contemporary ruins?
I asked myself, where are the ruins in progress?
I asked myself, Where are our once great cites that are being abandoned as these ones were?'

Ever get the feeling that David Byrne was actually singing those questions to himself?

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 20.137.2.50
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3734
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what David Byrne is saying is that I live in a wasteland? Or is he saying that he hopes Detroit becomes a wasteland for his own amusment?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 248
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Byrne from talking heads?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1118
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the other one. (Yes, the one from Talking Heads.)

What he's saying is thought-provoking, but I think he is ultimately incorrect in the case of Detroit, for this reason: Detroit is a part of the United States, a generally stable and wealthy country. Sure, it's a neglected and scorned corner of the country, but for a city this large to truly become ruins, there would have to be something much more serious going on, such as a war with another country or a destabilized national government.

I am certain that the center of the city with its beautiful deco buildings will be in better shape in 50-100 years than it is now. (Of course, I live here, which may make me more of an optimist.)

Detroit may end up something like Vienna, a city past its prime and perhaps longing for the old days, but not ruins.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 794
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry about the government.

Or David Byrne for that matter. He's failed to take into consideration the changes which can occur within a community over extended periods of time. Rome, for example, was once a pretty bleak place to be. It survived and thrived again. There's no telling if Detroit is down and out or just down and drunk until morning.

(Message edited by 1953 on May 03, 2006)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2467
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Al_t_publican, David Byrne?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 252
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe this is a post! David Byrne is just some musician, granted Talking Heads are good but his opinion is not important. Maybe the Heads can do a Detroit revival show if he is so concerned

Gdub

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is notable for the similarity to Lowell's notion of modern urban 'ruins', and shows that other people out there, when coming up with a contemporary equivalent to what happened to the Aztecs, thinks foremost that Detroit fits the bill (or post-industrial urban America in general). Granted, one of the photos on his site is of the Madison section of the M-L while it was being torn down, thus looking more 'ruin' than it really was.

Incidentally, David Byrne did ride a bike, not too long ago, from downtown out to Alter Rd. and back. Not a typical sightseeing method for people from out of town to embark on. He does at least consider this an interesting place, and not in the flippant way that out-of-state people/celebrities usually remark on (or joke about) Detroit.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 796
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He rode a bike here? Fantastic.

I love the idea of a Detroit benefit show. We could get all of the hometown artists and their friends, plus concerned artsists like Byrne, to play for the municipal budget!

Gdub

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, cynical jerks. I try to introduce some discourse on comparing the ruins of one culture to those of another, but as usual everyone drags it down to ripping on celebrities. Should I have made up a fake name and put "Dr." in front of it instead?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 686
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, why is it that Detroit is a "no man's wasteland" that "nobody lives in" when there are 900,000 people there.

I think it's just disrepectful.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 748
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"six cities" by supersystem...

The forest has trees the mountain has snow on its peak
And the earth has secrets the ocean helps keep
Like a language everyone knows how to speak
But forgets each morning when waking

There was once a city that was made of steel
All the Buildings were shiny and clean
The people wore the same clothes and ate all the same meals
They knew black and white and little in between

There was once a city that was made of glass
All the buildings you could see right through
Each and every person there had opinions there
And each and every one of them was true

There was once a city made of plastic
All the buildings were flimsy and sheik
The smoke from a fire there made everybody sick
So they all left town with the few things they could keep

There was once a city made of marble
All the buildings were beautiful and cold
The people had solutions for anything that fell
So they spent their lives being helpful and alone

Like a language everyone knows how to speak but forgets
Each morning when waking from sleep

There was once a city that was made of stone
All the buildings were smooth and gray
The people living there all felt trapped and cold
Even on a pretty warm spring day

There was once a city that was made of wood
All the buildings were sensible and sound
Everyone there did what they wanted while they knew they could
Because one day a storm would knock their buildings down

Like a language everyone knows how to speak
But forgets each morning when waking

Like a word explaining how all this should be
That’s forgotten the moment we first learn to speak

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3642
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One can't but help see his desire for his idea of the city to be completely fulfilled. Too many people have a morbid fascination with Detroit as a city that's already died.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 66.146.173.34
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Bryne isn't me. I'm wondering what happened to my take of a few days ago about Detroit as a potential Angkor Wat. I visited the Cambodian ruins in Feb and thought of my birthplace Detroit as I took in the ruins.

I'll say one thing about Detroit, and that's it doesn't take twenty dollars to get in like Angkor.

I don't think Detroit will ever be a Macchu Pica(sp), do you?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.