Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Old London Chop House? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mkgirrrl
Username: Mkgirrrl

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.42.169.141
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know what's up with the space? Has a new club opened?

Crment
Username: Crment

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 167.236.0.61
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is now a new lounge called Prive. They have nice weekend crowds, the interior has very nice decor.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 199.67.140.84
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theurbanflavor.com/ content/public/default.aspx?id =359

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That website states that the London Chop House was a "favorite hang out" for Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand. Wasn't the Caucus club attached to the London Chop House? (it was the bar for the LCH?) Babs worked at the Caucus club in '61, Matt Michaels was her accompanist. Many Detroit professionals (folks who could afford a night out at the CC-LCH) had the drop on Babs before she made it big. She played the Roostertail after that.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 837
Posted From: 69.217.228.163
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the chop house was/is in the basement of the murphy telegraph building. the caucus club is across the street (congress) in the penobscott.

56packman

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks RSA-my family never had the kind of scratch it took to dine at such a place. As a kid I thought Uncle John's pancake house was high dining!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 69.217.228.163
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol pakman! the caucus club is still there if you have the scratch now. it's touted as the last of the "classic, fine dining establishments in the city." i've never been tho, so i can't necessarily review it for you...

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 69.212.214.147
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chop and the Caucus were both owned by Les Gruber.

The Caucus is still open, still very good, although a little run down and not nearly as busy as it was in the good old days. It's owned by Mary ____________, former hostess/manager
of the place when Les owned it. Everyone was extremely nice to her because she determined where you sat if she decided to give you a table, not always easy to get in the old days.

I haven't had the ribs there for a long time but they used to be the best in the city, bar none; most people ordered them w/ "Pancho sauce," created by the chef, Pancho __________, who later became chef at the DAC and a couple of other places before he retired.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1194
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Prive will accept my combination London Chop House/Caucas Club credit card? Maybe by now it's a collector's item.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1477
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing more classic than the Caucus Club Dover Sole.

That is old time fine dining. And pretty damn good, too.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1783
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you name a club after an outhouse. (Oh sorry, my mistake. There was an e on the end not a Y.)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 475
Posted From: 172.133.96.67
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the planned Smallz with a "z"? Is Prive merely a name change? If so, it was a good move.

As for the Caucus Club, it is still an outstanding dining destination. A great place to impress business clients for lunch or dinner. It might seem stuffy from the outside, but nothing could be further from the truth. You don't need to be dressed like a lawyer to enjoy the place. Places like the Caucus Club are essential to Detroit's fabric. Cities need institutions of all kinds to maintain their vitality and diversity. The venerable CC is a Detroit gem.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.174.38.160
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having been out of the state for a number of years, what happened to the original London Chop House? Why did it close or got sold?

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dabirch: whole Dover sole, with the roe, and a touch of almondine. Boned at the table (I always did my own.) You got it right.

The_rock

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caucas Club-Best dover sole in the world, served at your table by Charlie, now serving the angels in heaven with that wonderful service and smile. Their Penobscot salad was my luncheon favorite.
Mary, current owner, actually greeted you from her post at the back entrance of the Caucas rather than at the front entrance. But she dictated where you sat. Wonderful lady.
Across the street at The Chop, you had their "mess of perch", or a Doc Greene salad, named after the famed Detroit sportwriter.
Celebrities in town or visiting from out of town were seated in booth #1.
You could pay $5 at the bar when your offspring was born, they took your name and his/her name, and when he/she turned 21, you brought in your kid for a "free" drink.
Christmas time at the Chop..brandy Alexanders.. Wow!

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, there's a bunch of old guys on this thread.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2042
Posted From: 4.229.6.70
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember the Savoyard Club on top of the Buhl Building? I was there once in 1986 for the wedding of building owner Jerry Luptak's neice. An awesome place with stunning views of the riverfront and downtown.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 71.247.148.240
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an intern for the Wayne State paper, we were treated by the staff for a lunch at the Caucus Club. Remember a number of the Free Press staff hanging out there. I would say very old school; dark wood ambience, classy waiters, and drinks served on the rocks. Though this was the 70s, it could have been the late 30s.

The_rock

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok---I remember the Savoyard well.. We had a membership there. Top floor of the Buhl Bldg.
You played dominoes on the lower lever, your waitress ( now called a wait person) was Fanny. Wonderful lady. Went over there as a rookie lawyer with my law firm, Always remember--let the senior partners win. They were paying for the lunch!
Upstair were luncheon specialties. Always a good crowd. Lots of lawyers and tenants of the Buhl, Penobscot and Guardian Buildings.. Fri lunch was a perch special. Excellent. And an wonderful view of the river, too.
We had our law firm's Christmas party up there for many years. Pleasant memories at the Sayoyard Club.
Jerry Luptak and his "syndicate" owned the Buhl building. So he (and they) always had the same table by the window. I had a buddy who was a member of his firm.
3rdworldcity is right. There are a lot of old people on this thread. I am the oldest but still recall memories of the places that are no longer with us. Sorry 3rd world.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caucus Club...Barbra Streisand got her start there with Matt Michaels on piano. The late Judge Myron "Mike" Wahls worked with a trio at the CC for years...Wonderful man, fine pianist...

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't want to hijack this thread, but while we're on the topic of classic old restaurants, anyone remember the Money Tree down there? I think it was on Congress. I took my date for senior prom there in '89, don't think the place stayed open much longer. Great place, wonderful food.

Or, to really get the knees of the old-timers in here wobbly, how 'bout the beloved Joe Muer's? Man, that was a restaurant! I remember the large tanks full of lobster you could see from the dining room, the silver platters of cottage cheese and navy beans they brought out to your table and the cool bar area. Didn't it have a blue, undersea theme on the walls? I learned how to love food in places like these.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 681
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Money Tree stayed open in one form or another until about 1996. But it wasn't the same after the 80's.

Didn't Yvonne Gill cook there?

I used to love the restaurant in the Buhl Building, I think it's a cafe now. Also the Wine Cellars.

The_rock

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvonne Gill ran the Money Tree in our building, 333 W Fort. It was never the same after she left and went to Oakland County. Her's was a classic.
Ponchatrain Wine Cellers was run for many years by Joe Beyers and his wife, Mollie. EXCELLENT, and they were gracious hosts. Cold Duck!! The building is still there on Congress, ended its days as the Mexican Cortina or soemthing like that.
Joe Muer's was the best seafood house of all time. I am afraid that many thought that since he never kept his restaurant menu continuously changing and upbeat, but always had the same thing, he was getting stale and the place closed. Nuts!! The selection was the best, and his official greeter (Jeff) opened a "Joe Muers" on Sfield near 13 mile and it finally closed too. So much competition. Joe always blamed Mayor Coleman for his downfall and the city's for that matter.
Buhl Bldg restaurant was The Savoyard on the top floor, but it's gone too. There was another restaurant on the main floor, but it did not last very long.
Then there was Jim's Garage which was interesting, kinda like the Jockey Club in NYC, but its long gone like everything else. Too much suburban competition.
The Best?? London Chop House--but each year fewer remember it. Memories.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 68.251.227.237
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been an enjoyable tthread for youngin's like myself. :-)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 738
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

despite the obvious namesake concern - wasn't carl's chop house a place

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 66.146.173.34
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you ever happen to see the Paul Newman movie "The Secret War of Private Frigg" (or some such title) you will hear the name London Chop House Detroit dropped in its dialogue.

The_rock

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl's Chop House on Grand River is a Detroit institution, but struggles. The owner, a local GPer also owns Mario's. He and his son work hard to keep both places going, though it appears that Mario's gets the nod.
Carl's was probably in its hay-day when the Red Wings played at Olympia up the street on Grand River. Before gametime, it was packed.
If you went to the livestock competition at the State Fair Grounds each Fall, you would see many blue ribbons for the choice beef, and Carl's Chop House had its own tag next to the winner indicating it would be purchasing that prized beef.
They had a lobster tank as you enterd the restaurant. Better know for its beef, however.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5848
Posted From: 69.242.213.167
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was chatting with Mr. Lark at his restaurant and asked about the painting above my booth, a dramatic reclining nude female. He told me that the subject was his sister. The painting hung in the London Chop House. Mr. Lark says he got posession of the painting when the London's furnishings went up for auction.

The_rock

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sister, huh? Interesting.
But I think the painting of the reclining nude in the Tap Rook of the DAC has it all over the LCH nude. Both are works of art, but I will expect your assessment in a subsequent post.
When the London Chop House closed, they sold much of their furnishings. The several charactertures done by famed artist Hy Vogel were especially prized.They hung throughout the whole restaurant. My former law partner has a couple of them.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 172.164.48.84
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently the name is "Prive Smallz Ultralounge." The concept as described seems pretty cool. The name ..... well, as was said on an earlier thread, nothing screams class like a "z" on the end of a word. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060503/ENT 05/605030453. I hope the place does well.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ponchartrain Wine Cellars. Thanks The_Rock for that memory. I ate there once or twice a week for 15 years. Pete Waldmeir at the little bar waiting for a table like the rest of us every time I was there. (Although Joe or Mollie always snuck in the regulars ahead of unfamiliar faces.) God, those potatoes were great although to save on calories I usually ate only the "crust." A couple of the PWC waiters went to the Roma after PWC closed and I think they are still there. One or two also went to Joe Muers for awhile as well.

And Muers. Best seafood restauranty in the country, although Fortune Magazine once rated it "in the top five."

I hope Joe and Mollie are operating a little place up in heaven. Better clean up my act so I can visit them there.

56packman

Post Number: 246
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, Jim's Garage, the Ponch wine cellars--I really miss those places. I did have enough scratch to eat at those fine establishments in the 80's. I remember Carl's (when Carl Rosenfeld owned it) the wonderful matronly waitresses, who were professionals in every sense of the word. The last time I was there one of the "Marios" running it bitched out one of the young ladies waiting tables (not the professionals the old gals were) right in front of our table, instead of going into the back. Does anyone have fond rememberances of the 1940 chop house? Loved that all Black angus beef menu. Back then all of the truly great restaurants were in the city--the suburbs didn't have much to compare, and the western suburbs (are you listening Livonia?) never did, and still do not.

The_rock

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd world--enjoyed your commentary. Joe and Mollie are living in Dearborn. Joe is a really gung-ho Spartan, having played on the varsity basketball team after the war.
Some of his stories about the restaurant business and the customers to whom he catered are real clasics.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock: Thanks for the update. I could have sworn Joe passed away several years ago. I think he used to live in Gr. Pointe.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5853
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the receipe for the Wine Cellars' Potatoes Delphine, if anyone wants it.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the_rock...thanks also for the info. the last time i was at carl's was new year's eve 2001. it was bittersweet to be in the presence of its former glory. it's my understanding that carl's was the place where the auto industry upper-crust came to be seen.

and how could i have forgotten mario's, when i had my wedding rehearsal party there?

mario's is always packed when the lions are playing, and i believe they run a shuttle to ford field. some nights, they do pretty good business, as evidenced by overflow parking.

The_rock

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank has done a wonderful job keeping Mario's going. Nabeel is my waiter there. 35 years!
Mario Lelli was the original owner( Not to be confused with Lelli's Restaurant that used to be on Woodward just North of The Blvd- also very good), and I understand Mario is still alive and in his 90's now. Big guy, quite an imposing figure. Right out of the Godfather. Rough on the outside and soft on the inside.
One day, I remember asking him for a credit card application. Rather than using MC or Visa or AM Express, he had his own credit card like the Chop House/Caucas Club did. "Keep down the costs".
Mario said he would get me the application form. I thought-oh, oh, here we go again...fill out a tedious long form with bank, social security #, employer, references etc. Those applications were pretty long and envolved back then.
Mario's application was on a single sheet of paper. It called for your name, address, and telephone number!! That was it.
I used his credit card til he sold the place to Frank..

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 68.77.163.47
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we signed our lease in the Penobscot Building the former owners, Mitchel Wolf and ? Hoffman the last hands on owners the building had, took my grandfather, father and me to luch at the Caucus Club. I have eaten there many times in the 15 years since......It's said that the biggest problem there is they EXACT same problem we all suffered from down there and that is the lack of people. Anybody with a cash regester knows exactly what I mean by that....Yes there was a time when Mary decided IF, because they were busy and they may have regulars they have to serve before you.....Nowadays.....if you have money in hand she will seat you and anyone one else you are buying for, ANYTIME.....

What kills me is that none of these places are open for late night dinner. I like to eat late and by 10pm EVERYONE (high end) is closed in the Midtown-Downtown area.

Rock,
Let's do lunch at Mario's....
I live at the end on the alley off Second. I eat there many tuesday nights for dinner.......
Pick the day and the time, I'll be there.........

The_rock

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman--I would gladly do lunch at Mario's, but the word out on the street is that you actually are the financial controlling interest in Traffic Jam and Snug next door.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 68.77.163.47
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the check was big but not that big.......

Rock, email me at adamlbrook@hotmail.com and we will do lunch

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff: Thanks for the offer for the Potatoes Delphine recipe. I'm going to pass because I can't eat much of that stuff anymore.

I had his recipe for Gazpacho but lost it. The best in the state. I must have consumed a 100 gallons of that stuff.

The_rock

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday's Freep had a write-up on the new up-scale Prive nightclub. I note the article talks about the decour and the fact that there are "candle-lit tables" and "light brown silk drapery hang(ing)loosely from the ceiling..."
That sounds a little scarey. I am sure that the Fire or Safety Dept has inspected the premises or Prive would not have been allowed to open. But the thought of a fire in that restaurant would still be of great concern to me. Some were even concerned when the Chop House was there.
The area is entered only by entering the building from Congress,and walking down a somewhat steep,narrow set of stairs,the same as during the glory days of the LCH. There is no other entrance/exit for the public to use( although the wine cellar is under Congress and a tunnel connects the area to the Caucas Club in the Pebobscot Bld.) The rebirth of the restaurant as "an upscale cigar bar" to again quote the paper is great, but I hope everyone is really careful when it comes to table-lit candles and ceiling drapes. And pleae watch your lighted cigars, too.

56packman

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

match books

here is my collection of old line Detroit restaurant match books. The dark one in the lower right is Schweitzers.

The_rock

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schweitzers---great old spot. Foot of 375 south of Jefferson. Great German cuisine.

Run those other names by me,packman. My eyes are not what they used to be. Looks like you have Savoyard/Ponch Cellars covers there,too.

56packman

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

starting upper left, Creager's Pickwick house (Grand River/Outer Drive), Buhl building (front), Savoyard (rear-I have two of those),Caucus Club, Uncle John's pancake house,
Detroit Club, Pipers Alley, Detroit golf club, Ponchatrain wine cellars, Little Harry's (thanks Anita, you bitch), DAC, Schweitzers.

The_rock

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the Chop? The bestest of 'em all! But thanks for your identification. Neat what you have done, packman.
Then there was Red Kemp's, Stouffer's, The Brau Haus, Jim's Garage,The Old Place, The Bronze Door, Nicholson's, Russell's Steak House,The Lion's Den, Victor Lim's,and The Stockholm to name a few more. Shoulda saved you some match covers.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great collection and presentation, 56packman!

P.S. Whose Anita and why is she a "bitch"? Is she the one that tore it down?

Livedog2

56packman

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ooooooo, Oooooooo, sweet love" the urban copulation music songstress whose hubby defied a court ordered stay of demolition (have those ever been effective?) and tore that Schitt down.

Hey, while we're on this subject, where was Berman's steak house? I ate there in about '79, had a great meal, but can't for the life of me remember where it was.

The_rock

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Berman's, I believe, was on Clifford, just below Bagley. They gave out match covers to avid collectors.
Quit picking on Anita. She's a GPer. Amazing how her place was torn down. In spite of a Court Order hanging on the front door , the wrecker's ball became the last customer.

56packman

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Harry's (a 140 year old mansion) was booped to make way for..............an IHOP.
hey, remember that 50's-60's phrase "well, you can't stand in the way of progress"

more syrup, please

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shame to lose such an important historical institution in Detroit over such a stupid reason!

Livedog2

56packman

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 24.208.234.52
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock--one name you did not mention in your post was Topinka's on the blvd. Just down the street, the Normandie.
Did you ever eat at the Royal Eagle in the Parkstone apts.? All but a dim memory now.

The_rock

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topinka's---right you are.Nice spot. Neat atmosphere,too. Bavarian motiff.
I believe it was owned by the Nicholson family from Birmingham and they also had the Country House on 7 Mile and Telegraph. That was a popular
road house" for west siders. I believe it was destroyed by a fire.

The Normandie was always a place for Fisher Building tenants and GM employees to eat. It was a favorite watering hole of the late J.P. McCarthy of WJR radio.

56packman

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Country house was at 7 and telegraph (I grew up at 7/evergreen) As a kid I liked Sant's sleigh and reindeer up on the roof every Christmas. Our neighbor was the hostess there.
It burned up real good!

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock: Close on Berman's. It was 1/2 block west of Clifford on that street that runs behind Trolley Plaza. I think it's now a night club open on weekends. Building is now painted silver.

Remember the paper thin fried potatoes they were famous for? Like potato chips. One of the cooks used to slice them in view of the patrons and he was so fast with the knife he looked like a machine.

The former owner, Joe Stanich, has owned a place called the Cracker Barrel, which used to be on Grand River north of Bagley but has been on Bagley in the Michigan Building for many years. Great shot and a beer joint with great food (very limited menu) at lunch. Alway 2 kinds of home made soup, a lunch special, and the best grilled chicken sandwich in town... and for only $2.50.

Mostly regulars, and when he decides to stay open in the evening, they may not let you in if they don't know you.

The_rock

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd world--you got it right! Those little streets in there, Times Sq., Park Place, even Grand River as they come up and meet Bagley all seem to run together. I can't tell 'em apart anymore. I just seem to get to where I am going, and I guess that's what counts!!
I was not a big Berman patron, only a few times for lunch. I did have a buddy, now living in Florida, who proposed to his wife about 50 years ago while dining at Berman's!!
I am glad Joe is still going strong.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.