Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Downtown Gyms « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 246
Posted From: 69.137.219.205
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me how the downtown area gyms compare.

I'm thinking about the Fitness Works at the New Center, Powerhouse on Jefferson or the YMCA

I've heard that the Y does not have many free weights, which is mainly what I am looking for.

Any thoughts on what's best. What are the crowds like?

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in downtown but I live in midtown and use the highland park powerhouse. If you like free weights that is the place.

The crowd there is there to work out. No frills. It is by far the most affordable if your over 30. It also has good hours 5am - 11pm.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Courtyard at Millender Center offers a good set up with a very affordable price. Price goes down when you sign up for six months or a year.

I looked at both the Y and here, as well as the New Center gym when I was cancelling my Fairlane Club membership. Courtyard at Millender Center filled my needs.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 826
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtown Y, isn't for the big time lifter, but it does have pretty much everything you need - two flat benches, incline/decline, smith machine, dumb bells up to 120 lbs.. there is at least 2 of everything, so when I go (8 pm during the week, early on the weekend) you rarely have to wait. plus at those times you can almost always park right out front. plus there is a rock climbing wall, pool, and a ridiculous amount of cardio equipment.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10019
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must have upped the dumbells then, when
I toured the place they only had up to 100 lbs. Either way, for a free weight lifter who isn't into all the extras the Y has to offer, you can get a much better deal at either one of the Powerhouse Gyms. I joined the one on Jefferson a few months back, has everything I'll ever need, and dumbells up to 150 lbs.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 69.242.218.76
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, the Downtown YMCA is a great addition to the quality of life in downtown Detroit. One of the best features of the Y is the attitude, encouragement, and concern of the staff. I am greeted when I arrive and any concerns are directly dealt with. There's plenty of cardio equipment, two pools, a gym, free weights and machines, racquet ball courts, a track, a 38 foot rock climbing wall, and much more. I have not found it to be over-crowded and the facility is kept clean.

Atperry, stop in for a tour at the time of day when you'd be most likely to use a gym and see the free weight room and then you'll be better able to judge if it can meet your expectations.

I am very satisfied with the Y and, while it is somewhat expensive, I feel that I more than get my money's worth.

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 69.215.244.198
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So no one has tried out the New Center?

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 462
Posted From: 4.229.90.224
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy,
The powerhouse is back to closing at 10pm. But still one of the best deals around.

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fitness Works in the New Center rocks in terms of services and equipment. Well worth it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.