Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Gotta love our neighbors to the North « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7278
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't we always hear how Detroit/HP needs to clean up their own mess before asking others for help. I wonder how much of our mess is actually from others:

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060501/M ETRO01/605010347/1003/METRO

quote:

A truck driver accused of dumping almost 24 tons of dirt from Oakland County in a residential area has until Wednesday to appear in 30th District Court in Highland Park on illegal dumping charges. City attorney Maria Alfaro Lopez said Richard Peeples Jr., a driver for Block Construction Co. of Royal Oak, was ticketed April 19 after a huge mound of dirt was dumped at 2:40 p.m. on Third near Florence. Lopez said tests are under way to determine whether the soil, which came from Bloomfield Hills, was contaminated. The truck remains impounded.

I would hope that anyone that does business with Block Construction send their business elsewhere.

Jt1

Post Number: 7279
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do wonder where Mr. Peeples is from since it wasn't listed. Is he a Detroiter/HPer working for a company in RO and destroying his own neighborhood or does he live elsewhere.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate that people take advatnage of the city like this. We have many vacant lots and open areas which aren't secured and people come and just dump thier crap here and further tarnish our image. I hope they hit him and his company hard with fees and charges.

Jt1

Post Number: 7285
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And community service in the city. Tons of community service working on clean up projects should be required for the driver and the business owner(s)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 141.217.214.203
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess maybe I should think twice now about dumping my garbage at the intersection of Orchard Lake and Maple. I thought people liked cleaning up my **it, but I guess that must just be in the city.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1091
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very commom problem in Detroit. Just a note: While I was on the traveling crew for my division, I caught a guy dumping his shrubbery waste from a landscaping company he owned. the pile he created over a few weeks was massive. I reported him and it was learned that he was bringing his rubbish all the way from Troy to Southwest Detroit. He was arrested 2 days after I reported. I was pleased with this because when i was following him, he flicked me off, called me a name and said that he was just dumping this trash where it belonged. He was charged with multiple dumping violations and even some neighbors identified his truck and him with photos.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3811
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work, brokenmain. Keep the H2O flowing.

Illegal dumping is a world-wide problem. Detroit doesn't & Highland Park doesn't need this nonsense.

jjaba.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a common problem everywhere although Detroit probably gets most of it. In my suburban neighborhood when I walk my dog I can easily fill two store bags with trash from fast food even pizza boxes lying on the sidewalks and in the street. The little grocery store owner down the street tried locking his dumpster, but if people couldn't put their trash in it, they just left it alongside of it. Trashiness exists at all levels.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2595
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo broken_main!

That "Do Unto Others..." analogy fits right here. I hope they ticketed him and threw the book at him! It's dopes like him that make regular folks like us want to get his address, go heave a couple of truckloads of rubbish on his front lawn and see how he likes it.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1095
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's terrible...In the same area, I was checking a station(on the midnight shift) and I was doing a perimeter check inside of the fence. I called the police and the humane society on people in an alley. These people were dumping dead dogs on our lot after dogfights. These were not all locals either. I don't know what happened withn this case but there were a lot of dogs being hung on city property as well as dumped there after their dogs lost.

I am not out in the field any longer but i know that my whistleblowing efforts along with the neighbors help stopped the dumping in this area for as long as I was out there. That, of course was 3 years ago.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putting his name in Yahoo People search there is someone with the same name at Grand River and the Southfield. That is right near where our van was found after it was stolen from Grosse Pointe. It was found at Pilgrim and Lindsey. The biggest crooks were the guys at Michigan Auto recovery, they charged 5 buck a mile to the insurance to bring it back to the east side, since the only thing wrong with it was a punched lock they knew the insurance would pay it.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

While I was on the traveling crew for my division, I caught a guy dumping his shrubbery

ROGER THE SHRUBBER??? oh, no!

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 24.148.60.142
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another article in the Detroit News states that Dearborn, like Detroit, is looking to install security cameras to catch these illegal dumpers. I hope one day cameras can be used to secure every block of greater downtown Detroit. I think sometimes security and economic development to fight poverty trump small privacy concerns.

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200604 26/METRO01/604260355/1003/METR O

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.