Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » New Towers on the Expressways? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the Towers that are popping up on the X-ways all over town? On Channel 4 they kept on saying next story about what they were, but that usually means last story in the newscast and I couldn't wait to see it. Thanks in advance. JJ

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 396
Posted From: 70.229.123.158
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe those are solar generators. Not sure what they're powering however.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 71.65.15.68
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are traffic counters, similar to those that are embedded in the concrete, only more servicable (they don't have to tear up the road if a sensor dies). They relay traffic flow back to central control via cellular communication.

It was a joined effort between MDOT and traffic.com. Both use the data to monitor how fast cars are travelling to report slow-downs.

Supposedly the technology doesn't work yet on freeways with concrete walls (such as 696), so for now that road will continue to use the in-ground sensors.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1771
Posted From: 69.212.226.184
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are solar powered radar units. They do traffic counting and speed detection. They were paid for by Federal and private money. You can look at some of the output on the MDOT website.

http://metrocommute.com/cgi-bi n/metro/zoommap.pl?region=intr o&area=detroit&control=off&inf o=Headline&info=Accident+Alert &info=Delay&info=Special+Event &info=Cameras&pgtype=mdotmap

Not all are online yet

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when they put the sensors in the pavement, I wondered how long they would last. I think that is when they put in all of th cameras too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.