Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » "Un dia sin immigrante" "A day without an immigrant" may 1st protest/march « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Compn
Username: Compn

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 65.29.121.215
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone going to support em?

http://www.actionla.org/Campai gns/NoHR4437/events.html

Detroit

Time: 10:00 AM

WE WILL BE GETTING TOGETHER AT 10 AM AT ST.ANN CHURCH ON ST.ANN STREET

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1174
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ilegal o legal o ambos ?

Compn

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

er, this one is for the support of immigrant rights. also a no vote on HR4437. it is also a boycott of goods, supply, work, school, etc.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060428/BUS INESS06/604280368

"At least one rally seems definite in Detroit. MOSES, a faith-based organization that emphasizes the religious, racial and ethnic diversity of metro Detroit, is organizing it. The rally is at 10 a.m. Monday at Ste. Anne de Detroit Catholic Church, 1000 Ste. Anne St. in Detroit. About 100 people are expected to attend, said organizer Juan Escareño."

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy, that's a MAJOR topic in the Northleft corner of this fair land. If it wasn't for migrant and resident alien labor, you'd be hard pressed to find a fresh Washington apple. It's estimated in some circles that if you took illegal workers out of the workforce, the fruit crop would be cut in half.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2137
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll support legal immigrants in a heartbeat.

Illegal aliens (read:criminals) on the other hand need to be shown the door...

Compn

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guess somebody doesn't like APPLES.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 285
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, I support them. I'm all for people braking the law.

Nothing makes me angrier than when I go to anoher country and they expect me to follow their laws.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2547
Posted From: 66.167.58.162
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see immigrant work stoppage on Monday... That means parents in California only have two days to learn their kids names.

Line from Jay Leno Show last night.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 979
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday is "day without an american day". Nobody go to work, to prove how important americans are.

Oh, that's right, you'll get fired. We shouldn't get fired! We're here LEGALLY.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1932
Posted From: 216.203.223.93
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we changed the law, most of us would be here legally.
Laws can be changed, remember?

Quote: i guess somebody doesn't like APPLES.

You don't understand Compn. The illegal-immigrant obsessed want the illegals to go away, AND they still want someone to pick their fruit and slaughter the beef for their burgers.

I think that Rush Limbaugh calls that "An entitlement mentality".

I even know of one immigration-loudmouth who has an illegal nanny raising his kids, (because "she's not like the rest of them".
That's why this issue is perpetual.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 559
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess on Monday it'll be less of a secret about which crooked businesses are hiring crooked employees.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone tossed me an interesting idea earlier today.

We already have a system in place to reward tips for car theives, software piracy, etc, why not set up a system to reward someone (possibly through tax credits of say $500/person) for each illegal/employer who gets turned into ICE? The tax credits can even be offset by the fines collected from those businesses/individuals caught hiring illegals.

It'll save on the resources needed to track illegals down when you'll have a steady source of tips flowing in.

Barnesfoto, can even drop a dime on his nanny-hiring acquaintence, get paid for it, and watch them get socked with a huge fine/jail time.

Douglasm

Post Number: 535
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many complex issues involved in this whole immigrant reform thing, and I don't pretend to know even a small portion of it. What I do know is that you can't get anglos to work the orchard and field jobs done by migrant labor. I do know that two of our area's biggest growers are currently 2500 people short in seasonal labor, immigration is a mess and someone somehow better come up with a workable solution.

BTW, do the cherry orchardists in the Grand Traverse Bay region hire seasonal workers, and if so where are they from? How 'bout other agricultural growers or producers in Michigan?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2444
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cherry orchards use cherry shakers, but there is still a Mexican work force up there to pick apples, still living in shacks, and still sitting at the back of the church Sunday mornings.

Hey, I'll pick apples all day for, ohh, ~$45,000, dependent on benefits. I love working outdoors.

Compn

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plus all the free wormy apples you can eat!

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mpow makes a good point -- bounties.

Why do "illegals" sneak into the USA?

For jobs.

Who gives them the jobs?

Why, sputter, Americans! American employers.

Cut off the jobs, cut off 95% of the illegals.

Indeed, bounties on American employers, jail and heavy fines for those Americans convicted. Clearly the risk of hiring illegals does come anywhere near matching the penalties on American employers. It's not even close. They laugh at it, all the way to the bank.

There are not enough jail cells to jail all the soon to be criminalized illegals.

But there are enough for the American employers who are drawing them here.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cherries, apples, tomatoes and a bunch of other labor intensive crops would still be available without illegal laborers. The price would simply rise to account for the added cost. That being said, few are arguing to totally eliminate migrant laborers, just to reduce the number of ILLEGAL ones who have either out stayed their visas or have illegally crossed the border.
The factories, farmers, slaughter houses, cleaning companies, restaurants and landscape companies all hire illegal immigrants for one reason TO SAVE MONEY (AND MAKE MORE MONEY)! I have little sympathy for anyone who is blatently breaking the law in order to further their own interests.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's go on a big shopping spree Monday and make the honest owners of those stores wealthy way beyond their wildest imaginations. And take heed of which shops were closed and assume that a significant percentage of their employees are probably illegals, working for little pay under sweatshop conditions that no Americans would ever endure.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 29, 2006)

Johnnny5

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but many of tomorrow's "protesters" are here legally; they're just supporting their friends and family. It will be impossible to determine which business employs illegal immigrants by basing it on whether or not they are open on Monday.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 563
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow is still Sunday, according to my calendar system, so some of your protester buddies must be having a dry-run practice in advance of the main event.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry my clock is ahead of the website's by 8 minutes. =)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait to get going (or staying), eh?

Johnnny5

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't support the protesters at all. The news videos that I have seen have shown groups of people marching in the U.S carrying Mexico's flag. IMO they are mocking both the U.S and it's laws by protesting, but they are still within their rights to do so (assuming they are here legally).

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 566
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A country without borders is not really a country. alipac.us just sent me one of its emails, which contained this comical bit: "May 1 is FIRE AN ILLEGAL ALIEN DAY! Tuesday May 2 is HIRE AN AMERICAN DAY!"

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnes keeps trotting out that old tired argument of "who will pick our fruit?" There are 11 million undocumented (illegal) aliens in America, are you seriously asking us to believe that there are 11 million fruit-picking jobs? I don't think anyone is saying that deporting 11 million people will ever happen, so your precious fruit-picking jobs will continue to be filled even if we crack down on the border. The point is that some illegals are doing jobs that Americans won't do, and other are doing jobs that Americans WILL do but not for the slave labor wages that illegals will accept. Or are landscaping and construction considered "jobs that Americans won't do" because I know PLENTY of people who work in those industries and I also know that in other parts of the country, those fields are dominated by cheap Mexican labor and Americans can't compete. Any blue-collar, manual labor type of job can be filled with illegal labor so an unsustainably-large population of illegals hurts poor Americans.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 200.65.7.199
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lowell you mistaken mcp001 for me.

I live in Mexico right now. I just got back from Zacatecas and Jerez. These pueblos are missing a large majority of young people because they are off working in the States, meanwhile sending tons of money back to Mexico to support their families. If there was a better immigration system in place maybe more of this money would stay State side.

Money from the United States is the second biggest GNP maker for Mexico after only oil revenue. Remember that Mexicans working in the United States are consumers as well, they spend lots of money to maintain themselves helping the American economy. Their low wages from the goods and services they produce help maintain cheap prices for middle class Americans.

I really don't understand the hate on this issue but I do see a lot of reality. The hard fact is that we in the United States must realize we live in a global world and goods and services are moving depending on where money is at. I think in the near future we may even see Americans leaving their own country because the world economy dictates them to do so.

We will all be Mexicans one day.

Put THAT in your taco amigos.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1933
Posted From: 66.2.148.130
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mpow, quihubloe, mi cuate! Cuando vienes a vernos?
Barnes is not just talking about fruit and vegetable picking.
Barnes is also talking about meat processing.
The meat processing industry used to be heavily unionized and offered good pay for the hard work.
That went out the window with Ronald Ray-Gun. Can you spell
deregulation? Deregulation was supposed to free the hands of business from the shackles that were preventing it from creating wealth. How many of you voted for Reagan? And how many of you consume fast-food? The fast-food industry is one of the largest beneficiaries of illegal immigrant labor. Or do you think that they slaughter the livestock in the back of McDonalds?
So now, the common language on the shop floors of many slaughterhouses is Spanish.

So sorry if this argument is "tired" but not one of you has proclaimed that he is tired of supporting the problem and is buying his food from the Amish.

Of course some of these folks want to work in construction, and landscaping. But for all the whining, I've yet to hear any stories of jobs lost from any of the whiners. The only individual that I've met who lost a job to an illegal lives in CA. The guy wanted a job as a prep cook, but the management of the restaurant told him
"you don't speak Spanish, so you can't work in the kitchen!"
They made him a bartender instead.
One last story. I live within spitting distance of a "hole" in the border, a train tunnel that goes from Windsor to Detroit.
It used to be routine for people to sneak thru this tunnel.
Now they have a border patrol agent watching it most of the time. A guy sitting in a car making what, 30k a year? That's one hole.
Now, how many guys would it take to plug the current "hole"
in the border, which is a big swath of Arizona?
It would be a lot cheaper to charge these people cover, let more of these people in, there's plenty of room for them in Southwest Detroit, which has been largely reborn due to an influx of immigrants from Mexico, some legal, some not.onions

Mcp001

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really shouldn't be too difficult to pick up on why American's are so ticked off right now.

We have been, and are still being invaded by a large mass of people from Mexico. This is to say nothing about who else might be traveling withing this mass (read: terrorists) and what they may be carrying (read: any communicable diseases or viruses.

Our elected "representatives" are turning a blind eye towards this problem due to two reasons. Those who wish to differenciate themselves by calling themselves "republicans" (and who have lost most of their base by capitulating on their "beliefs") are afraid of a massive hispanic backlash at the polls in November. Those who call themselves "democrats" (and have alienated most of their base by not really standing for anything and have repeatedly shifted their beliefs fasters that those who refer to themselves as "republicans") are looking for a new pool of voters to enticing with "entitlements", thereby guaranteeing their continued support.

Americans are also taken aback by the blatant hypocrisy displayed by the illegals from Mexico and their supporters.

In Mexico, illegals from Guatemala (those who aren't raped, robbed, assaulted, or killed), are intercepted by the Mexican military and sent packing back over their southern border. Not only is this due to the drain that the illegal aliens from Guatemala have on the Mexican economy, but it is enumerated in the Mexican Constitution!

And this argument that illegals do the jobs that Americans won't is a slap in the face to the American worker.

The one thing that is missing from the "jobs American's won't do" mantra, is one key phrase: for what the market will bear.

These cries are being made by people who do not want to pay the going rate to have the work they want done and are looking for an easy scapegoat.

It's simple Econ 101: Supply & Demand. If the supply of the workforce isn't at the level that you are looking, then you aren't paying enough for that position. For an example (and this isn't a knock towards these professions): why do you think that garbage collectors & plumbers make as much as they do?

Unfortunately, I'm forced to agree with Mpow's statement about American's potentially needing to leave the country to find work. Given Washington's propensity towards being the leading jobs bank for other countries such as India, China, and now Mexico, to say nothing about its uncanny ability to spend money like a crack-whore in numerous vote buying schemes, I'm concerned about where this country will be in the next 10-20 years.

Douglasm

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny5....
....don't know if the fruits and veggies you mentioned would be available, especially the short harvest season ones.....

Mikem....
....thanks for the info on the Grand Traverse cherries. I forgot that it's mostly pie fruit. You can't use a shaker in the fresh market, they have to be picked by hand for quality purposes.

Like I said before, I have no idea what the answer is, just that something has to be done. I live in an orchard community that's about 40% Hispanic. Doesn't give me any great insite on the issue. It just reminds me that there are many sides to this complex problem, and like most complex problems, simple answers won't work.....

Compn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa there...

"This is to say nothing about who else might be traveling withing this mass (read: terrorists) and what they may be carrying (read: any communicable diseases or viruses."

didnt the '19 hijackers' of 9/11 all have the proper visas and identification?

i mean, if you want to believe bin laden is coming in thru mexico, thats your right. but spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) will not help anything.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what should be done:

1) Make it EASIER for people to come here legally to work.

2) Crack down on the border.

3) Prosecute anyone caught using illegal labor.

I understand that agriculture and the meat industry rely on cheap Mexican labor, that's where number one comes in. Number 2 is designed to keep out the terrorists, drug runners, gun runners, human trafficers, and hardcore criminals (MS-13) who under the current system can cross the border freely whenever they choose without fear of being caught.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3375
Posted From: 69.209.168.39
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a day without detroityes

Mcp001

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said bin laden, Compn, I said terrorists.

At least the 19 terrorists we were able to get some information on because they went through some screening. It doesn't take much to figure out who would come in if the wasn't any screening at all.

To say nothing about who might be coming in with H5N1 or whatever has the CDC/WHO concerned that week.

This was mentioned before, the solution to the problem of illegals in an easy one.

Deploy our military across the border, put a clamp on any further illegals coming into this country. After all Mexico does it as well on their border.

Impose a 500% tax on all international wire transfers to those who cannot prove their legal status. This tax can be used to hire more border partol agents.

Require that anyone requesting social services of any kind be required to prove their legal status.

Impose heavy fines/jail time on CEO's/business owners employing people who aren't here legally. 10 years and/or $10,000 for each employee should be a strong deterrent. Institute a tip line to generate leads with a portion of the fine going to those who made the tip. The remainder can be used to hire more border patrol agents.

This one at least should make the anti Wal-Mart crowd happy. If this had been in place when they were busted in '03 for hiring illegals, Lee Scott whould be in prison until the year 4456 & Wal-Mart would have had to cough up at least $2.5 million.

The other added benefit would be welcomed boost to the economy. With no jobs to go to and no way to send money back, illegals will have no choice but to go home. The resulting void would present
an incredible job opportunity for American's looking for work, especially when the market will dictate that employers will have no other choice but to raise their pay in order to attract employees.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Johnny5....
....don't know if the fruits and veggies you mentioned would be available, especially the short harvest season ones..... "

We should disregard the laws of the U.S so that we can have fresh cherries in the summer? The production would obviously decrease, but the price increases would eventually make up for the decreased volume (assuming our government is willing to halt the importation of fruits and vegetables that can be grown here).

" And this argument that illegals do the jobs that Americans won't is a slap in the face to the American worker.

The one thing that is missing from the "jobs American's won't do" mantra, is one key phrase: for what the market will bear.

These cries are being made by people who do not want to pay the going rate to have the work they want done and are looking for an easy scapegoat.

It's simple Econ 101: Supply & Demand. If the supply of the workforce isn't at the level that you are looking, then you aren't paying enough for that position. For an example (and this isn't a knock towards these professions): why do you think that garbage collectors & plumbers make as much as they do?" Quoted from mcp001.

^^Perfectly describes how I feel about the issue.

Prices WILL go up if the illegal immigration issue is addressed, but wages for the poor and working class will also increase. The ones who will not benefit are the business owners employing these workers, Mexico and the consumers who have become accustomed to the reduced prices.

"Of course some of these folks want to work in construction, and landscaping. But for all the whining, I've yet to hear any stories of jobs lost from any of the whiners." Barnfesto.

I've lost many landscaping jobs and property maintenance contracts due to the fact that my competitors use illegal laborers. It is virtually impossible to compete with companies who hire illegals that are paid low wages, no over time and no benefits. I've also been unable to increase my emloyees wages as much as I would like to, as that would make it even more difficult to compete.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mpow, in bits and pieces, I have stayed a year in Mexico. I love Mexico and the Mexican people who are the warmest and most sharing people I have ever met in all my travels. I am totally aware of their hardships which I know you see on a daily basis.

My point is that the problem lies with the employers. They are being allowed to illegally hire millions for substandard wages and living conditions and then pocket that money. The net result is to depress the labor market here which hits the poorest of our society and depresses everyone's wages. Even if one takes the free market approach, they get unfair cost advantage over their competitors.

Meanwhile migrants live in constant fear and a huge criminal underground emerges to service and exploit them. Hundreds dies in the desert and unregulated work conditions as a result. Migrants who play it by the rules are screwed and don’t get to come here.

If illegal employment was stopped, the flow of migrants would stop. However, there will still be demand for that labor they did but a humane and fair guest worker program could now be implemented.

I do not believe in the criminalization of the migrants, just as much I do not believe in rewarding the employers and criminals who are making the real money off this process. The current survival of the fittest approach is bad all the way around and must be encompassed within a legal framework.

You being an artist are probably in Mexico for some of the same reasons I was there, access to an incredible artistic assets and environment and a very low cost of living. You know that an average Mexican could live very comfortably on 10k a year, indeed would be middle class. Workers here can’t live on that.

This is a very wrenching issue and needs to be handled humanely and fairly. We need to figure how to bring Mexico up toward our level of prosperity, not bring ours down to theirs. Mexico should be our number one aid development project.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1935
Posted From: 66.2.148.4
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good thoughts, lowell. You mean that neighbors should help neighbors? What a concept! That sounds like the teachings of a Jewish carpenter with a Mexican name.
I'm an agnostic, but the idea that neighbors look out for each other is partly where I'm coming from.
MCP brings up the way "illegals" are treated in Mexico. That's a valid argument. Mexican immigration policy is far stricter than ours...I've spent a bit of time dodging Mexican immigration in Chiapas, where they don't like foreigners going to visit the Zapatistas. You're pretty naive if you think that those risking their lives to scuttle across the sonora dessert have the luxury of thinking about what happens to Guatemalans.
As for the cudies issue and the "terrorist" issue, I'd be more worried about diseases spread by thousands of homeless people living, sleeping and defecating in the streets of our cities.
And I can't quite picture pious islamic terrorists hanging out in Mexico, where every other dish has pork in it. They'd stick out like sore thumbs...
Food prices are already going to increase because of rising fuel costs. It would be interesting to see what would happen if growers had to pay people 10 bucks an hour to harvest produce, and meatpackers had to return to pre-Reagan safety regulations and wage laws.
As for deploying the military on the border, sure, that would do the trick, but where are the troops going to come from?
I'd say we have a better chance of seeing a third party win elections in this country, or of seeing MCP raising his own food.

Douglasm

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two seperate issues here. One deals with undocumented workers working in year round jobs---powersewing (sweatshop style work), kitchen help, construction and the like. The other is agricultural. I don't know a great deal about the former, so I'll speak to the other.

Yes, food costs will go up. Some. What will dramatically change will be where some of the goods will come from. Apples from China and Chile are good examples. Canned asparagas, which used to be a major Washington crop now comes from Peru. Fresh asparagas is still grown and harvested, but the canneries have pretty much closed, putting those people out of work. But that's not the main problem in our end of the country.
40 years ago, every teenager had money in his pocket at the end of cherry season. Picking would start just after the end of school and run for about 3 weeks, and the kids would go pick....and probably spend the cash at the lake the rest of the summer. But there were only a couple of drive-ins in town. Nowadays the kids won't pick fruit. First off, nowadays it's beneath them, and second, where employment opertunities for teens were limited, there are plenty of them now. We've gone from 1 to 14 franchise fast food places since I've moved here, not to mention 2 shopping centers, 5 big boxes, and the like.

The other problem is the transant nature of the job. Except for the packing sheds which generally go year round, picking is seasonal. You've got a month long cherry season, a 45 day gap, then a 3 to 4 month apple harvest, with limited peach, apricot and pear harvest thrown in. "Arkies" used to do the migrant thing before WW II. During the war, we (as a country) began to import workers from Mexico to work the field in California and the fruit up here, sending them back at the end of harvest. By the early '60's, the anglo fruit tramps had pretty much gone away, and orchardists ended up relying on immigrant migrants.

Where the rub is is (?) in the olden days, migrants would start in California and work their way north, ending up in Washington. But with changes in farming and production, the California season is near year round. Still can't find any anglos to do the back breaking work, but there's plenty of jobs for those willing to work. Up here, changes in farming and production have increased both quality and yeilds, but there's no workers, so the growers literally hire anyone with anything that looks like a document. It actually pays pretty well (most of the payments are piece rate) but the season is not long enough to let people make enough money to live year round.

The sad part is our government has tolerated the exsisting system for 40+ years. Sure, there's an occasional grumble, but it sounds like a politician talking two weeks before an election. What has to happen is an immigration policy that is fair to both the employer and the employee, allows for enough potential employees to fill the need, punishes those people who do not follow the rules, AND IS ENFORCED.

There are a ton of economic problems starting with the grower who'se getting $22 a box of Fugi's that maybe cost him about the same to grow. Less competetion in the marketplace with only 5 or 6 major grocery chains keep the price down, and the chains buy on price because grocery isn't a high margin business anyway. It's a real mess......

Mcp001

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You're pretty naive if you think that those risking their lives to scuttle across the sonora dessert have the luxury of thinking about what happens to Guatemalans.

Never said that I knew what they were thinking when the illegals were sneaking in. I'm just pointing out the blatent hypocrisy in their position, that's all.

quote:

As for the cudies issue and the "terrorist" issue, I'd be more worried about diseases spread by thousands of homeless people living, sleeping and defecating in the streets of our cities.

Never knew that bums were capable of creating bio-weapons. Poor hygiene, yes. Bio-weapons, no.

Getting back on topic: Just countin down those hours 'til the malls open...

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1938
Posted From: 66.2.148.5
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their position? That's the Mexican Government's position, and the Mexican Government is under pressure from the US Government to cut the flow of immigrants from Central America. But some still make it through.
Blatant hypocrisy is consuming products produced by illegals while denouncing their presence. Enjoy your lunch!

Mcp001

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Foreigners are those who do not possess the qualifications set forth in Article 30. They are entitled to the guarantees granted by Chapter I, Title I, of the present Constitution; but the Federal Executive shall have the exclusive power to compel any foreigner whose remaining he may deem inexpedient to abandon the national territory immediately and without the necessity of previous legal action.

Foreigners
may not in any way participate in the political affairs of the country.

- Title 1, Chapter 3, Article 33 of the United Mexican States Constitution

quote:

Mexicans shall have priority over foreigners under equality of circumstances for all classes of concessions and for all employment, positions, or commissions of the Government in which the status of citizenship is not indispensable.

- Title 1, Chapter 2, Article 32 of the United Mexican States Constitution

OABTW, this was done back in 1917. I don't recall the US having very much pull back then.

Unless our government has access to a DeLorean or TARDIS that I'm not currently aware of?

Still trying to decide to go to either Buddy's or BD's, I'll let you know how my lunch went.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went up to Vernor this morning to buy a coffee at McDonald's. So many places closed down with signs saying they are supporting their workers.
As I mentioned once before, my Irish Canadian Grandmother was an illegal immigrant. She just moved across the border, married and stayed. So I have one of the terrible (potentially terrorists)in my family. How many of the people on this board have friends who have worked overseas as au pairs or in other work in violation of the local immigration and visa laws? How many Americans are living tax-free retirements in Mexico in violation of the local laws?

I do believe that the Mexicans deserve special consideration for their immigrant status - just as the Berliners early on enjoyed free passage through the Berlin border - the US Border with Mexico is a convenience for the US government and possibly represents a robbery of ancestral lands and ties.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 69.222.54.70
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going shopping

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1031
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

traffic going out of the city (reverse commute) seemed extra light this morning...

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE have a super serious problem!!

WASHINGTON (AFP) Immigrants' rights advocates, elated by the resounding success of Monday’s "National Day of Action," which drew the backing of hundreds of thousands of protesters across the United States, now are planning a national boycott which they hope will have an even greater resonance. Organizers are planning the May 1 "Great American Boycott," urging illegal immigrants -- who cannot vote and who have only limited political power -- to flex their economic muscle. Protesters are being urged to refrain from shopping, and to stay away from school and work.

You should take a moment to let that sink in.

This is a movement orchestrated by people who entered the US illegally, and then want to scream about their "rights." WHAT RIGHTS? YOU DON'T BELONG HERE! Let's take a look at some of the many benefits that illegal aliens have blessed our great country with: Street gangs, graffiti, drugs, skyrocketing healthcare, depreciation of property value, illiteracy. The list could go on. What they actually have to offer (cheap labor) pales to what they have given our country to deal with. I'll take expensive vegetables over expensive healthcare any day! And now, like terrorists, they are going to attack our economy -- the one entity that makes our nation stand out from all the others. The backbone of our nation. The country they came to like locusts so they could reap the benefits is now the focus of their boycott. You've seen it on TV: Marching on our American streets waving their flags, boldly showing that they can be more racist than whom they accuse of, and yet the obvious is totally oblivious to them...... IF YOU'VE GOT IT SO BAD HERE, THEN LEAVE!!!

To all real Americans, you can do one small thing on May 1st, 2006. It won't be racist, nor will it be violent. It will not be boastful, arrogant, selfish, or distasteful. It will not be any of those things that our "guests" have already displayed. What it will do is nullify a movement. All you have to do is buy something on May 1st. Make up for what they will try to take away. It doesn't have to be a new car or house (unless you were already planning on getting one). It simply needs to be a day of trading. Hold off grocery buying until May 1st. Take your wife out to dinner that night. Get the kids pizza, hamburgers, whatever! Make several trips to the convenience store. Buy your meals at work. Shop for clothes, furniture, and outdoor equipment. If it needs to be bought, BUY IT MAY 1st!

Those are just a few suggestions. We're not asking you to spend your life savings that day, but just to spend more than you normally would. Even if it's only a few dollars, this will help soften the blow that the illegals will try to inflict on our economy that day. It sounds trivial at first, but if this idea gets around, what the illegals set out to do will fail.

HAPPY SHOPPING AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!

"Viva La Causa"

American Heroes
heroes

Illegal Zeroes
zeroes

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1451
Posted From: 69.221.66.56
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give amnesty now!

Then work on simpler, more liberal immigration laws!

The key to all of this right now is "illegal immigrants...flex[ing] their economic muscle." This should be a reminder of how devasting mass deportation would be (it's impossible and inhumane in the first place). Clearly amnesty is the only solution.

I'm not seeing the urgency for making immigration laws less liberal. Over the last year unemployment, outside of Michigan, has been at or below the long term average of 5 percent. Wages have increased 5 percent year over year according to numbers I read this morning, beating a relatively quick inflation rate of near 2 percent quite handily. Several million jobs have been created since 2004, and the stock market is reaching all time highs. I just don't see why the huge cry to limit immigration has come on over the last 2-3 years. People's attitudes seem to be based on economic fallacies, or nativism.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardly, some of us actually do live in Michigan.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday's NASCAR race at Talladega was rained out and rescheduled on Monday in total disregard for the illegal alien nonsense. It appears all the fans showed up in addition to all the race drivers.

Oh the humanity!

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on May 01, 2006)

Mcp001

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1940
Posted From: 66.2.148.26
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: How many of the people on this board have friends who have worked overseas as au pairs or in other work in violation of the local immigration and visa laws?
I have. After being stuck at a job I disliked for 5 years, and with not much money saved, I moved to Mexico City in 1996. I spent a total of 16 months there. I figured if so many folks from Mexico could come here, I could go there. And I did. Worked illegally as a guest house manager/handyman, Photographer, English Instructor and voice-over artist. Also did some work with a Human Rights group in Chiapas documenting government sponsored terrorism.
That put me in violation of some of the clauses from the Mexican Constitution so kindly cited above by MCP.
Of course, when stopped by Mexican Immigration or Army, whose presence in the Southern State of Chiapas has dramatically increased since the start of a low-intensity insurrection in 1994, btw, I always played dumb and stated that I was going to see some ruins.
I guess that makes me, in the eyes of some, a dangerous, swaggering, predatory criminal. Perhaps I am even responsible for street gangs, or traffic jams, two of the more absurd things I've seem blamed on illegal immigrants recently.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/ 01/dobbs.immigrantprotests/ind ex.html

"The meat packers are confirming what we know," says University of Maryland economics professor Peter Morici, "and that is that this large group of illegal aliens in the United States is lowering the wage rate of semiskilled workers, people who are high school dropouts or high school graduates with minimal training."

In fact, a meat-packing job paid $19 an hour in 1980, but today that same job pays closer to $9 an hour, according to the Labor Department. That's entirely consistent with what we've been reporting -- that illegal aliens depress wages for U.S. workers by as much as $200 billion a year in addition to placing a tremendous burden on hospitals, schools and other social services.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1944
Posted From: 66.2.148.26
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who deregulated the Meat Packing Industry? Could it have been Ronald Reagan, elected in 1980?
Did illegals storm into our country demanding that the meatpacking industry be deregulated? Or did a gullible American Public buy into the idea that government regulation of business was a terrible thing?
Please read Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation". It describes the process in depth.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You stole a job from a Mexican, Barnesfoto???

I'm shocked!!!

All kidding aside, I didn't see any effects of a "Day without a Criminal, er I mean illegal alien, sorry, I meant immigrant" yesterday.

Went over to Eastland, Macomb Mall, & Lakeside yesterday...no visible ill-effects from any boycott (picked up an MP3 player in the process, a chainsaw, & bought some DVD's).

Had lunch at BD's and got to pick up some lumber & drywall yesterday for one of my friends @ Lowes.

Lunch was uneventful & neither was my trip to the mecca of hardware supplies.

Did anything get shut down in town yesterday?

Oh yeah that's right, according to the news just about every business in Mexicantown.

OABTW, Where does negatively impacting hispanic businesses & eventually shutting them down due to a prolonged "boycott" fit in to their overall plan?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2462
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you think it would have any effect around here?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 802
Posted From: 68.79.94.221
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Immigrants typically live in the same neighborhoods, shop in those neighborhoods and work in those neighborhoods. Obviously many of us gringos can also live, work and shop in those neighborhoods but we're the minority.

That's why I think that a lot of folks in Detroit and probably some other cities didn't notice a difference during the day without immigrants (and lets be honest, its a day witout Mexican immigrants, no other immigrant groups were represented)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.