Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Broadhead Naval « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royfel
Username: Royfel

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.241.251.134
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am interested in getting contact info on a group or person trying to preserve the Broadhead Naval Armoury on Jefferson

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 834
Posted From: 69.215.247.28
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know if there is such a group. the city of detroit public works wants to use the space as a garage for equipment. also disheartening: when the marines left, they neglected to mothball the building. the result was no heat and running water. [this is most often the first blow in the deterioration of a building.] in the winter all the pipes froze and burst, filling the basement with water. all of the wooden floors are ruined. word is that the murals on the second floor are safe, but no word of the plaster reliefs in the back hallways...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1298
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try contacting Rebecca Binno Savage through the Detroit Art Deco Society.

Here's a DADS article on the Armory:
http://www.daads.org/modern/11 01/brodhead.htm

And a list of their contact emails (use the one for President to contact Rebecca):
http://www.daads.org/contact.h tm

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother served there on the weekends back when he was a reservist Marine. I heard the government leased the building for only a dollar a month. It is a piece of history and architecture worth preserving...

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 4.229.60.17
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the result was no heat and running water. [this is most often the first blow in the deterioration of a building.] in the winter all the pipes froze and burst, filling the basement with water. all of the wooden floors are ruined.

Is this true? If so, it deserves publicity and accountability on the part of the Kilpatrick administration. The departure of the Marines has been planned for a long time. The city fielded more than one solid proposal to purchase the Armory within the past two years, but all offers were rejected by the City because they had better, grander (read, looking for a Kwame "friend and family" type to hand it over to) plans for the building. If the city assumed possession of this landmark building without taking minimum steps to mothball it, heads should roll.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2030
Posted From: 4.229.147.132
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my "pipedream" for the future of the Broadhead Naval Armory (and I don't mean "crackpipe"!):

Local Philantropists Robert & Maggie Allesee donate an endowment for the maintenance and utilities of the Armory (to be called Allessee Hall) with the city leasing it to an umbrella organization for $1 per year.... with the understanding that all Detroit area preservationists band together under the "Detroit Conservacy" banner and make it their home. This would include Preservation Wayne, Cityscape, Detroit Synergy, Detroit Area Art Deco Society, the Parade Co., and many other such organizations that promote the history and culture of Detroit. Even "DetroitYES" should have an office in the complex.

The huge drill hall at the front of the building could be used for regular flea markets, and the building could be inaugurated with a visit from "Antiques Roadshow" (they were last here in 1996.... in Southfield!!!!). The grounds around the building could be manicured and maintained by local preservationists (all you downtown loft owners need to get out and get your fingers dirty once in a while!).

This way we could preserve Michigan's best collection of Depression era artworks, in a fabulous location. And it could also bring together a rather spreadout network of historic and cultural organizations that have a lot of overlap.

(Message edited by Gistok on April 28, 2006)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3189
Posted From: 70.229.125.71
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
Add in conference and banquet facilities and you might have a winner. Help pay the rent.

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also artwork from the Works Progress Admin., post-World War stuff, in there. Any word on the preservation of that?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 225
Posted From: 24.208.234.52
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the Broadhead become the property of the COD after the Marines moved out? If so, look for it to become a low-rise Lee Plaza.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 4.229.27.62
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the artwork in ther is WPA funded, so the above descriptions cover that issue.

2 rooms of plaster fresco murals, the plaster relief hallway images, and the incredible woodwork reliefs= WPA

Jams

Post Number: 3203
Posted From: 70.229.46.50
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
Damn, you've got me thinking. With Gabriel Richard park next door, that could be a great addition to the city, adding money to the coffers, as a banquet and conference centre.

Instead of letting it sit vacant, rent it out for a variety of events, not unlike the Grosse Pointe War Memorial, as well as using it as a day-to-day facility as you suggested for non-profit offices paying rent for the space.

It won't pay off the deficit, but it could turn a profit.

Jams

Post Number: 3205
Posted From: 70.229.46.50
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent off a couple of emails, I'll let you know if any response.

Anyone else with an idea for reuses of the facility, step-up. It would be a shame to see that building face a bulldozer.

Could also be an idea to save the Boat Club building. Same management for both buildings.

(Message edited by JamS on April 29, 2006)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 69.222.54.70
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boat Club building has had a standing offer on the table for at least three years from the rowing club that is based there.

Council keeps taking them to the brink and then someone floats a conflicting big dollar deal in front of them which they decide to sniff out(inveitably the deals never are attainable). Its all very remeiniscent of Coleman Young's days when people couldn't develop because of his "big plans" that never happened.

The Detroit Boat Club Crew never left the building. They are the oldest rowing crew in the world (you read that right), and they continue to provide some of the top talent in the country for high school, college and club level competition.

My understanding is that they have been maintaining the building and deducting the cost of maintenance from their rent to the city.

They have been trying to cut a long-term deal with the city that would give them the security to make major capital investments in the building, but the above mentioned stalls keep happening.

The last vision I heard was for an aquatice center that would be used not just for crew but kayaking and other activities.

Of course I am laying this all out as an outsider, so anyone involved can free to correct me or tell me to shut up because I am screwing up the deal by talking about it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.