Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » What's up with these projects? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't heard anything about these proposals in a while. Was wondering if any forumers, new or old, had any new information on them. I put them on one thread to consolidate it all. Sort of a one-stop shopping for information on developments. If anyone has any questions about developments I forgot, please feel free to add them.

Fine Arts Building: The building next to Kales. The one that Ilitch's son supposedly likes so much. They are conducting structural assessments and looking for proposals last I heard. They sandblasted its door so it looks nice and the even added exterior lighting. From what I heard, it would be hard to save due to interior damage but someone is putting at least a little money into it.

Detroit Life Building: On Park across the street from Centaur. The Ilitches said the planned on restoring it, but I have seen no activity around it since that announcement.

United Artists Building: On Bagley near Grand Circus Park. The city and the Ilitches are supposedly marketing it with the Statler site. The big sign is still on it and lit up. I guess that's a good sign.

Guardian Building parking garage: On Woodward adjacent to Guardian Building. Plans were announced last year to replace the black-box of a building that's there with a parking garage that looks like the Guardian Building. Since then I saw one story where the planners backed off a timetable for building it a little bit. There has been no activity there in months.

Lafayette Building: Near the Lafayette and American coney islands between Lafayette and Michigan. Peebles Corp. apparently wants to turn it into 100-plus condos. I can understand the delay if they're waiting for the Book Cadillac deal to go through that would build the parking deck that would supply parking spaces for the Lafayette project, too. I have seen new plywood put up to block borken windows and some of that fake granite tiles come off to expose the original fascade. That's promising. But last I heard the developer was dragging his feet a little bit.

Riverwalk: Specifically the connector space between the Ren Cen and Hart Plaza. They have finished about a third of it in the middle. However, works seems to have stalled. Lots of people are walking around it on Atwater for now. The Riverfront Conservancy hinted at it being finished this summer, but didn't come out and say it clearly.

Madison-Lennox lot: On Madison near DAC. The Ilitches bragged about a "landscaped" parking lot. The last time I walked by it was all asphalt with not one sign of any working being done on it.

Lindell AC Building: On Michigan and Cass. I think it's supposed to come down for the new mass transportation hub. They took the old awnings down a few weeks ago.

1403 Woodward and Eastern Wig & Hair buildings: The red buildings on both sides of Woodward and Grand River. They did a lot of work on 1403 before the Superbowl. That all came to a stop after the big game. However, the lofts for sale signs are still up and everything is intact. Also, didn't the DEGC purchase the Wig building a several others close to it? Some work on the ground level was finished but not much else. What's the plan with these buildings?

Vinton Building: On the corner of the Congress and Woodward. Work is obviously going on. The windows have also been removed from the second and third floors. I remember something being said about it being finished by late fall. Is that schedule still intact? What about the buildings adjacent to it? Any ideas about what might end up on the ground floor?

UDM Law School expansion: Plans to build on the empty block between Congress and Larned behind the current building surfaced a few years ago. Haven't heard anything about it in a while. No signs of any work.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 315
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know about the UDM law expansion.

When I talked to the Dean of the Law School a couple of weeks ago, he stated that this project probably wasn't going to happen.

Bummer, but maybe in the future.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1440
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd think they might need more square footage. They should look to see if there is enough interest in student housing (they don't offer any, right?)

Of Hemingway's listed projects, the Vinton is the only one that is off and running. But yes I can't wait to find out what will be in the first floor. It is one prime spot there with the thousands of workers at One Detroit Center and City Hall. I hope it is legit development (chain if neccesary, and this is likely given the visibility of that location) and I hope it is something we need, not a duplicate of what we already have (i.e. we wouldn't need another chain sandwich shop or coffee place.)

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was amazed that the UDM law school had no plans to expand. Taking a look around inside the building, I was surprised to see that the inside of the building was quite ratty in some places. On the top floor I could see through the roof to see light on the outside. The building could certianly use some updates. It is downright depressing in there.

In fact, the state of the facilities was one of the major reasons why I didn't choose Detroit Mercy Law School. Why pay twice as much as Wayne for older facilities?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1757
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can put the probability of a chain in the Vinton Building at 0%.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you know if it will be restuarant or retail, or both??

Ndavies

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do know.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 755
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alright

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do know.

Ya tease.

:-)

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 72.240.58.198
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU Law School is expanding though

http://www.media.wayne.edu/rel ease.php?id=2279

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 68.61.194.66
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ground floor of the building immediately next to the Vinton (the five story that used to have the horrible coney)will be a downtown McNally's Deli, of Corktown fame. Does that make it a chain now? The facade will be restored over the next year or so.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4044
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A slow ecomony in Detroit means less development. The Housing market in Detroit is a all time low. Most of them homes and businesses are not worth selling without a good ecomonic base. Looks like we Michiganders aren't catching up to the national ecomonic GDP growth. And we kept on crying to Grandholm and her legislatures for HELP!!!!! Therfore development in Downtown Detroit and inner ring suburbantopia will slow down this summer.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have no clue, but can we talk about these "Super Bowl buildings" that have YET to start (as expected)?

Danny

Post Number: 4046
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx,

When the Super Bowl gone the money went, too. So all of Downtown Detroit is left a manicured Woodward Corridor waiting for a another developer to come. Aftet he Super Bowl there are absolutely NO further retail business along thr Woodward corridor, YET!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 551
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the ground floor of Vinton supposed to be an upscale men's clothing store by Mr. Porcher? It's been discussed in one of the many Vinton redevelopment articles.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original proposal was for a Men's clothing store. This is no longer the case. The gentleman who was originally going to open the clothing store dropped out. He wanted a better deal than the rest of the team were willing to give him. This occurred shortly after Mr Porcher joined the Vinton team. The floor was subsequently transferred to Mr Porcher and one of his business partners.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 67.38.81.149
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to follow up on WMUChris' comment. (UDM Law '05 here) The ever changing expansion/new building/renovation "plans" were a popular topic of discussion while I was there. The plans were first announced in probably 2001... they've never really made it out of the idea phase. One of the major early stumbling blocks was a pretty messy dispute with the University and the Law school and Law Alums over the university's desire to move the school to UDM's campus over on McNichols. Apparently the Law School convinced the powers that be that having a law school near all the courts and the major firms might actually benefit the school. So, its going to stay there.

The new building plans were overly ambitious at best and completely unrealistic at worst. The last time I talked to anyone at the school, the plan is just to renovate the existing building. (that may explain the holes in the ceilings) During my time there, renovations were going on constantly; new heating and a/c, installation of WiFi, new lighting..etc. (Yet amazingly they couldnt seem to fix the overflowing urinals.) The building is still pretty ratty by any standard, and every time we heard about the new law school building "plans" in the news...well, lets just say it was a big joke to say the least.

With all that said, I feel I received a pretty good education there. In reality, the building itself is the least important thing about any school. Also, UDM doesnt enjoy the taxpayer subsidies that a state university has which results in less money for bricks and mortar type projects. As to tuition, WSU was quite a bargain...however it is catching up in recent years. My cousin is a 3rd year there and has seen major increases every year he's been there. WSU is now up to about 18k a year now...UDM is around 22k.

Danny

Post Number: 4056
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Villages of Woodward is not yet being developed due to RED TAPE and a slow ecomony.

The Hotel Eddystone on Park and Temple had not being developed due to slow ecomony.

The Book Cadillac Hotel on Washington Bvld. has NOT being developed due to RED TAPE from King Kwame's THUG MAFIA and a slow ecomony.

The lofts at the Arsonia building at Cass St. has not being developed due to RED TAPE and a slow ecomony.

The Manhattan Building next to the Masonic Temple on Third St. has not being developed due to RED TAPE ans slow ecomony.

The construction of the Vinton Building in Downtown has been stopped due to RED TAPE between Mr Porcher and the owner.

WHAT'S NEXT!!!! for Detroit future NO GDP GROWTH FOR DETROIT MEANS NO ECOMONY AND NO MORE JOBS!!! And we can't go our great oracle named Granholm for help. We must create a ecomonic structure for Detroit Don't rely on our leaders to cook, fix and clean our city. They not our parents.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1521
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, of course, right.

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but whatever happened to Como's going up on Woodward? It seems like everything has just came to a halt.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.