Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Photo Du Jour - April 27th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5506
Posted From: 67.70.119.112
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 141.211.222.223
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Hotel Yorba sign on the lower right side

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3718
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice typical Detroit lonely street scene, ala Edward Hopper. Total lonely and apart.

The bldg. looks intact to jjaba, with rear brick wall. May have been bldgs. tight to the left earlier.

Could have been a corner drug store. We have plenty of them back then. Typical, the owners lived upstairs or rented it out. That way, the patients could ring the bell after hrs. and get medicines.
jjaba.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that whole area over there is depressing, one building here another 4 blocks down. My aunt lives near the Buchanan /Scotten area and she is the lone wolf on her street. It makes for good photos, but thats it. Sad...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 666
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That photo serves as an example of what the rest of Detroit has become after so many years of neglect.
The downtown may be hopping but what about outlying areas?
There are tons of great, decaying architecture throughout the city. It's a shame. It is like looking at a once beatiful person that is now ravaged with cancer.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5510
Posted From: 67.70.116.187
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion, it is depressing yet beautiful at the same time.

That area of Fort Street has seen some new factories in the last decade...

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1600
Posted From: 69.209.180.160
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Saturdays I often drop off my mail at the main post office. Heading west from that point up to maybe Junction, Fort is like a ghost town. Amazing what I-75 did to the traffic flow on Fort. I've seen old pictures of Fort where every block was filled with businesses and activity(probably could say that about most of Detroit's major streets).

Very nice building on Fort for the Arvin Mecator(sp?)company. Also, DPS did a nice job of refurbishing Southwestern High School's football field. However, south of Fort is another world. The fact that people still live in this area(Delray) is amazing. I couldn't take the smell coming from Zug Island.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.