Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Note to self: don't ask for directions at the car wash at Harper/94 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1022
Posted From: 4.229.66.163
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad story. I guess by asking for directions "her mouth wrote a check..." you know the rest. More random, senseless idiot violence, and more people who won't be coming to the city to spend time and money once they hear this story.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/9014288/detail.html

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7240
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disgusting. I hope they catch the 2 punks that did this and put them away forever.

My heart goes out to this woman and her husband/fiancee.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god i'm getting really fucking sick of this shit!

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 12.15.1.161
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another senseless stupid act of brutality.... here's another one that's equally disturbing

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/8994998/detail.html

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1025
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's some SERIOUS bullshit.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 136.182.2.221
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't go ordering coneys if you can't pay the billlllllllllls. Part of livin in the ghetto!

Chitaku

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That shouldn't be a part of living anywhere

Jt1

Post Number: 7241
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's let the comments mocking Super D go seeing the horrible tragedies of both of these incidents.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3364
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gots to be keepin it real!

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3032
Posted From: 129.137.201.92
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperD is a horrible tragedy.

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to start the whole capital punishment debate in this thread, but what is the appropriate punishment for those responsible in these situations? Is there any justifiable argument that any of the guilty parties should ever have the opportunity to see the light of day again? Or for that matter should they ever have the opportunity to see another day? Both of these stories make me sick to my stomach.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 172.128.169.183
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The coney island murder is horrific. The perpetrators are poster children for the death penalty. They will be caught no doubt. They will be caught because they will be unable to resist the need to get their props from their thug peers, so undoubtedly one or more of them will disclose their involvement. Once that happens, somebody will inform the authorities.

In the interim, I hope they can be satisfied with the high fives they exchanged after the beating, and with the respect they earned from their friends.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what is the appropriate punishment for those responsible in these situations?"

Meathooks through the scrotum swinging from a 30 foot pole, in a public place, for all to see. Privately executed capital punishment is too good for these stains of pig shit.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capital punishment will not stop these things from happening again. See Los Angeles for proof.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1023
Posted From: 4.229.66.163
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time someone complains about businesses not opening in the hood, tell them to go ask the owners of Classic Coney how happy they are to operate in that location.

Wabashrr1

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Capital punishment will not stop these things from happening again."

Maybe not.. One thing for sure though, it'll stop THESE thugs from repeating thier acts. Let 'em swing.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capital punishment will certainly stop the one who did it from doing it again.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe not.. One thing for sure though, it'll stop THESE thugs from repeating thier acts. Let 'em swing.

And there will be a million more right behind them to do the same thing unless you address the real problem.

Kinda like how giving crack heads extensive criminal sentences, instead of rehabilitating them didn't address the problem. All of a sudden, replace crack with meth, and swap a couple other variables in the equation... and everybody suddenly sees that criminalization isn't solving the problem.

Jt1

Post Number: 7243
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Addiction is a much different thing to deal with than these low lifes.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5497
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"He pulled out the gun and told me don't move," said Hanna. "I drove fast and they shot me."

Not to make light of the situation, but had she just surrendered her car, could the story have ended differently? Is a car worth being paralysed?

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shut up Aiw

Aiw

Post Number: 5499
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, I'm being serious. It seems to me she did not do her utmost to avoid jeopardizing her safety. Driving away from armed asailants probably wasn't the best idea.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 466
Posted From: 172.128.169.183
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartthed states

quote:

Kinda like how giving crack heads extensive criminal sentences, instead of rehabilitating them didn't address the problem. All of a sudden, replace crack with meth, and swap a couple other variables in the equation... and everybody suddenly sees that criminalization isn't solving the problem.

True enough, but this misses the point when it comes to capital punishment. Deterence isn't necessarily the focus of capital punishment. Far from it in fact. The goals of sentencing for convicted criminals also include goals or elements of pure punishment and, in certain cases, societal retribution. The death penalty for these predators serves this last goal quite well.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another one, three Detroit men were arrested for murder after kidnapping another Detroit man, taking him to a crackhouse where they shot him multiple times in the legs and left him to bleed to death. The reason? The victim was an FBI informant.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060425/NEW S01/604250329

"the charges against the defendants -- Detroiters Robert (Rob-Bone) King, 36; Marlon (E) Scarber, 25; and Eric (Suge) Taylor, 32 -- are state counts of first-degree murder, armed robbery and kidnapping."

(nice nicknames BTW)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 141.213.196.136
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, stop being an idiot. Either way she could have been shot. Recall the KFC clerk who was held up, and despite complying with the robber, he tried to shoot her but the gun was empty? Didn't think so...

Aiw

Post Number: 5501
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try but it probably won't be easy. Reading most of the posts around here lately has really increased my idoicy.

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"....It seems to me she did not do her utmost to avoid jeopardizing her safety. Driving away from armed asailants probably wasn't the best idea."

While I agree that no material object, such as a car is worth risking your life over, you can't seriously be trying to assign ANY of the blame for this to the victim?

I've never had a gun put in my face and had someone demand my car. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation. As I'm sitting here thinking rationally, and my heart isn't surging with adrenaline, of course I will say "I'd give them the car" without a second thought.

However, when confronted with that situation, who knows how a person would react? I would think panic would be a pretty standard response, in which case I can't say what I would do. I might want to get the h*ll out of there as quickly as I could.

Aiw

Post Number: 5502
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you can't seriously be trying to assign ANY of the blame for this to the victim?

Not at all. Just raising the point that her driving away may have been the key factor in her shooting.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty good slogan, actually.

"Welcome to Detroit. Do what we say and nobody gets hurt."

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw I totally agree - if someone pulls a gun on me I'll be giving them the car. It's just a car.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 209.104.144.90
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW is not being an idiot. And he is not blaming the victim. Any cop will tell you, and I've attended crime prevention seminars where they said it over and over and over, if you are a victim of a car jacking give up the car without a fight. Very few car jackings result in the victim being shot. Those that do are almost always cases where the victim tried to resist. Basically the same for hold ups.

This is just basic street smarts. I agree that no one knows how they would react in this situation and taking off like a bat out of hell sure seems like a totally natural reaction, but the truth remains that doing so greatly increases the odds of getting shot.

Again not blaming the victim and not in any way trying to justify or minimize the senseless, evil violence of these MFs who should be put away and suffer for the rest of their lives.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 192.85.50.1
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people just plain panic like she did. You never know how you will react untill it happens to you.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 404
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With these idiots, if you give up the car, they may still shoot you. What I don't understand is that these idiots carry guns around and are not even afraid of getting caught with them. They shoot people without even thinking of what could happen to them if they get caught. They aren't afraid of going to jail...not at all. Jail doesn't scare them. So what is the answer? I still say dump all their butts on an island in the middle of nowhere with nothing and let them fend for themselves. But of course America would never do that...it would be violating their rights or some crap like that!

Meadows
Username: Meadows

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 67.77.148.187
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

what is the appropriate punishment for those responsible in these situations?

Have ya seen the movie Hostel yet?

Warriorfan

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, cooperate with your carjacker and nothing bad will happen to you, just ask the family of Robert Reynolds who was a Deacon at Trinity Community Presbyterian church in Detroit. He was killed during a carjacking in the church parking lot. Witnesses told police that Reynolds begged for his life and pleaded for the carjackers to just take the car, he was killed despite his "cooperation."

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 68.250.43.213
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe you guys are jumping on Aiw like this, what the hell?

What is the first thing people tell you about what to do if you ever get mugged? GIVE UP YOUR SHIT!! All he is saying is, if she just got out of the car maybe they wouldn't have shot. Its a hypothetical question and you guys want to bite his head off.

Think of it this way, if you were on foot, and someone put a gun in your face and demanded your wallet, would you turn and make a break for it or would you hand it over? Seems to me, she paniced, and thought that she could get away fast enough, which is totally understandable given the situation, but in this case it didn't work out for her.

These are tragic stories, and nobody is saying otherwise, but honestly, if she gave up the car she would have had a better chance of not getting shot.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 67.38.87.62
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says they wanted her car?

"He pulled out the gun and told me don't move," said Hanna. "I drove fast and they shot me."

I think if I was in a car, I would have bolted.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got lost on her way home from work ???? It sounds like this may more to this story then whats being told how many of you have gotten lost on the way home from work with a friend ???
It may be all true but I`ve seen stories like this in the past end up being a drug deal gone bad lets see what develops in the next few days ..
either way its still senseless violence

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW - I understand the point you are trying to make, and it is valid. I guess my point is that there is no way that any of us can discern what the right response to this situation is.

With respect to the car-jacking incident. Maybe the people robbing her were intent on shooting her from the very beginning. None of us really know the answer to that question, only the person who shot her does. However, if that was the case, then my thought is that she responded correctly, since she at least gave herself a chance to get away, albeit unsuccessful.

In that situation, what do you do? Of course you give up your car, it's obviously not worth your life. But, how do you believe that the person that is threatening your life, won't kill you even if you comply? Maybe there was something about his actions or his demeanor that made her believe that he was probably going to shoot anyway.

Look at the guy in Pontiac last year. Got carjacked at the gas pump. Let the robbers drive off in his truck. Waited until they drove away. Then he went inside to call the police (who wouldn't?) and they came back and killed him.

I think I go back to the first post from Wabashrr1 regarding these kinds of people. It won't stop them all, but it will stop them from repeating it.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 771
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should hunt down, as a community, the person(s) who did this and take revenge.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3601
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As terribly tragic as this senseless violence is, I can't but help to see the gross amount of double standards, here. By the response this particular thread has garnered, and people damn near asking the world be turned damn-near upside down so that they can satisfy their own revenge and bloodlust, I can't hlep to think that given a different victim that this would have garnered such a disgustingly vengeful response. I hate if this seems to make light of the situation, but innocent civilians are killed in Detroit every month, regardless of the particular circumstance, yet we only seem to see these kind of responses when the victim is of a certain ethnicity and location. I hope and pray that the perpetrators are caughts, and prosecuted to the full extent on Michigan law, but I'm equally disgusted at some of these responses.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 66.174.92.166
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There can be no tolerance for this type of violence. It is sickening. I'm no fan of Giuliani, but I think he was on to something in NY about nipping it in the bud with respect to minor, quality of life type crimes. Pissing on street corners, breaking windows, etc. When we send the message that these minor crimes will no longer be tolerated, prayerfully, we will send the right message regarding the bigger crimes.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 146.95.15.36
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, as a civilized society let's stoop to their level and kill them for their crimes.

Never understood why we still have capital punishment. But we are in good company, right?

China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the USA account for 94% of the worlds executions.

And the one girl didnt even die and someone said the criminal should be executed. Jeez

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2652
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Good point Lmich and I dont tell yu that often...

But like you say, there have news reports within the last two months where victims have been shot and killed in the D (a phenomenon that happens on a daily basis here anyway damn near), yet this is the most agitated vindictive thread I have seen about one particular case!

I mean what did the other cases that happen in Detroit on a regualr not warrant this level of emotion and vengence? Or is it merely becuase you can 'relate' more to this particular victim?

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1163
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We should hunt down, as a community, the person(s) who did this and take revenge."

Amazing to see the lynchmob mentality still reigns supreme. I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander after all.

(Message edited by Shave on April 26, 2006)

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 405
Posted From: 24.192.134.204
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey now, don't generalize, just because the lynchmob mentality reigns supreme with one guy on the internet doesn't mean it reigns supreme with all of us.

I understand your frustration though

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She wasn't strapped with a gun. This will never happen to Supersport, he's always got his glock in his waistband.

Aiw

Post Number: 5504
Posted From: 67.70.119.112
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I mean what did the other cases that happen in Detroit on a regualr not warrant this level of emotion and vengence?

You must have missed that thread during SuperBowl...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No actually I didn't, however these two victims do have a 'common trait'...

Think on that...

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 68.43.117.118
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like a good argument for the Bill that is now at the State House for "shoot first if threatened". This is based on the new Florida law.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DStylin, what's that... living while white?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 141.213.39.167
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't gonna say it... but I was thinking exactly what Ddaydave said.

Even if more came up about it, though, I doubt the media would report it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2019
Posted From: 4.229.186.76
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Am I the only one here who knows Detroit Geography?? Obviously Clickondetroit doesn't.

Where the hell is I-94 & Harper?? That could be anywhere from Woodward (where Harper begins (right next to I-94) to Hillcrest (2 blocks north of Moross) at Detroit's eastern border with Harper Woods. That's a LONG stretch of roadway, maybe 8 miles long, where Harper straddles I-94.

So just where did this happen? Van Dyke? Gratiot? Conner? Dickerson? Chalmers? E. Outer Drive? Berkshire? Whittier? Cadieux? Or Morang?

Sloppy journalism!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is starting to look like a detnews.com survey thread...

Chitaku

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering the same thing. I94 and harper goes all the way to 8 mile/vernier

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously that woman who got lost didn't know directions either. Just think, if she lived in Detroit she would know her way around. That's what she gets for being a suburbanite.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not implying anything. ALl I am saying is I would like to see the same amount of outrage for EVERONE in the city that becomes a victim of crime, we all know how biased the media is, and even when the ethnicity of the victim is known the reaction is SO MUCH DIFFERENT between one victim and the other.

I think the two that committed this crime are foul as hell from jump street, but you will NEVER see me react to one victimn one way and another one diffrerently, like alot of these forumers...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assumed that they meant the Harper exit from I-94... and I think that's the exit before Cadieux if I'm not mistaken (I'm not an eastsider).

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 68.60.148.230
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Violence is violence, color and race have nothing to do with how outraged we should all be about this.

The gentleman that was beat down and then shot to death in the coney island was black, the girl who was shot while being carjacked was white. Both of these incidents are equally reprehensible.

The issue here is random senseless violence perpetrated on innocent people. What in the name of god does race have to do with it? It's not a blacks vs. whites issue as some of you seem to want to make it out to be.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3603
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfre,

You are obviously new, here. If you think this was a typical response on this forum, than I can't help you. I'll forgive you for being so incredibly naive. At least, I hope it is naivety. Maybe for you, you judge all sensless acts of violence the same, but you lose all credibility with me when you try and say that all acts are treated equally, here. The mob mentality, again, is just as digusting as the act of violence, IMO.

If you believe that this act would have illicted the same responses, here, if that picture wouldn't have been up, then you need a good dose of psychology 101.

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 26, 2006)

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.241.236.181
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People look for vengeance when the state fails to provide justice. Look at the city of Detroit's clearance rate for serious crimes like aggravated assault, homicide, carjacking, or attempted homicide. They are quite low compared to other cities. When the state can't provide justice, people will turn to vengeance. The real question is, why can't DPD do a better job at solving crimes?

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 64.228.210.201
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever watch the movie "passion of Christ" ? that type of punishment should be given to these fricken losers. they are useless pieces of shit. Never in history has there been a better time to punish like they did in the good old days when men were real men. none of this human rights bullshit. these guys should be hung right at campus martius. and we would soon see how fast crime drops.

Wabashrr1

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As terribly tragic as this senseless violence is, I can't but help to see the gross amount of double standards, here. By the response this particular thread has garnered, and people damn near asking the world be turned damn-near upside down so that they can satisfy their own revenge and bloodlust, I can't hlep to think that given a different victim that this would have garnered such a disgustingly vengeful response."

What is truely amazing, or maybe not, is that people here are locking onto the first story, while apparantly, ignoring the second (coney island). It is these thugs I refer to in my post. And to the one that says "millions will follow", let 'em. Just make sure they see the swinging assholes on the way in.

BTW, Lmichigan, The dead man in the second story was black.. Or did I miss something in the photo shown of him. So what's your point in saying "I can't hlep to think that given a different victim that this would have garnered such a disgustingly vengeful response."??

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.241.236.181
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the chances that the suspects in either case will actually be caught and convicted? Not great, I'd bet. And I bet this is what makes people really mad. To think that killers get to walk free on the streets of your city.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 69.51.137.10
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Obviously that woman who got lost didn't know directions either. Just think, if she lived in Detroit she would know her way around. That's what she gets for being a suburbanite

Moderator please move this to the justification thread

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 68.60.148.230
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich - It really doesn't matter to me which of these two incidents we are talking about. They both suck, and that's the only point I was trying to get across.

Are people more outraged about the white girl being shot or the black gentleman being shot? Both of these crimes upset me. The first post of this thread was the carjacking story, so it kind of follows that most of the posts in this thread would be about that topic. I posted the link of the man in the coney island, as that was one of the first stories I heard in the news this morning and it seemed to me to ring the same kind of note - an innocent person being attacked for no apparent reason.

I personally am not keeping score over which of these two crimes gets more sympathy on this forum.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, assuming that she does give up her car, then what does she do? Walking at Harper and 94, she will probably be raped, shot, and then dumped into the Detroit River.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 772
Posted From: 65.54.155.41
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...I'll qualify my earlier bloodlust...

A random shooting like this is absolutely unexcusable. Someone who commits such a crime must be punished severely, if not to send a statement to other would be lunatics, then to remove any future threat posed by the individual who would do such a thing. Domestic crime - even drug crimes - are just as ridiculous, though their motivation is understanable on some level. Random violence againts passersby isn't.

If society establishes laws that punish violent, senseless murder with premediated murder, it isn't stooping to the level of the criminal - it's taking an agreed upon action against a threat to everyone.

Anyone who would shoot a woman for asking directions is a detriment to society. You cannot rebuke this with the slipperly slope argument - who decides who is a detriment to society? Murder is the most severe of all crimes. Period. If we choose to punish it severely, we are justified.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all those who have played the race card, I direct you to this thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/23585/27557.html?1095481 351

It's a rather long thread about a BLACK carjacking victim! Imagine that, maybe everyone here isn't a racist. People were calling for blood on that thread too. I guess LMichigan, DetroitStylin, and the rest have selective memories and only remember threads about white victims, maybe you guys are the ones who are racist if the only thing you can see is color.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2533
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a breath everybody. I am always amazed how these "if it bleeds, it leads" news stories can whip up revenge fantasies enjoyed from the safety and relative anonymity of the fanatizers' comptuer.

Please read Detroit Stylin's post 2656 and get some balance.

Or tell us what you personally are going to do to solve the crime, not what you would like to do.

Otherwise you are simply using some victim's sad misfortune to enjoy revenge fantasies. The media simply supply you with the pornography.

We know nothing of the chain of events, typical of the get-it-out-now news. It is not blaming the victim to ask questions in such a situation. Situations like this have occurred from bad dope deals. [But then no ever comes to Detroit to buy dope, right? So how dare I make such a suggestion.] My point is: We don't know. So find the truth, get the perps, and let the law exact punishment.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10002
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I still say dump all their butts on an island in the middle of nowhere with nothing and let them fend for themselves.

Australia II? LMAO

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. She got lost on the way home from work? Was this her first time she drove home from work? She was lost while traveling on I94? Was she new to the area or something? Anybody who works downtown and lives in the suburbs basically takes one of the major freeways to get home. It's also common knowledge where 94 or 75 will take you. This story just seems a bit fishy to me.

Sorry, but I've not seen enough evidence to tell me she wasn't buying drugs somewhere and the deal went bad. All we have thus far is "She got lost on her way home from work." Seriously, after a day or two, doesn't most everybody know their way home from work?

Gistok

Post Number: 2022
Posted From: 4.229.81.118
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Supersport. And Harper is so very intertwined with I-94... it crosses I-94 at least 3 times, and is never more than 200ft from the freeway throughout its eastside meandering. If you drive on Harper, it is hard NOT to see I-94 nearby in Detroit.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2442
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But there's only one "Harper" exit in Detroit - probably the location in question.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 69.212.55.20
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For starters__ how the hell do you get lost going home__ 'y-t' was sniff'n round the 'hood' trying to buy some drugs and almost got her white ass 'smoked' in the process!

Here we go again with the same bull****media bais supporting 'y-t' in distress!

Rule#5 if you can't find your regular 'caller' don't try to buy yo' drugs from strangers!

Maybe if a few more whites get smoked in the hood' something good will come out of this....

Perhaps one of the most intriguing and undervalued areas of overlap between these so-called 'senseless' killings of 'y-t' and the social disorganizations of the hood' is the struggle with the problem of evil.

In Theological circles the thought that can deal with this harsh reality of violence we face is Theodicy__right! To understand and explain why bad things happen to so-called 'innocent' people.

Obviously we ain't gonna see change as long as 'brothas' are smoking each other!

As far as the bias ass media__we know that if you are white and blond, and if you are in distress that the world will be watching!

We know that if you are a white female or white male who is in distress and you send all the symbols and signals of being in distress....and you through no virtue or fault of your own possess certain characteristics and elements which invokes in the collective amerikkkana conscious and imagination of thousands of whites similiar too you such as daughters, friends of daughters, nieces, perhaps mothers and aunts, 'white victimization' symbolizes for thousands of white 'amerikkkans' what it might mean to be similiarly vulnerable, then, of course the world will be watching!__ the F.B.I. will get involved, special services will get involved, police will get involved, local minicipalities will get involved and perhaps the national press will become an extension of your PR machinary.....right?

Buuuuutttt!__ if your name is Tamika Jones__ if your name is Sha'nene Jones__ if your name is Danel Jones, ain't much love in the heart of the city for you.

So we know that the signals and significations and symbolism of white identity will secure for you the incredible pouring and simpatico and empathy and concern of the nation for you....

But if you are a Black Man or Women, if your a person of color there will be little empathy for!, simpatico for!, sympathy for you!

super d(motordetroit)

Diggelicious
Username: Diggelicious

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 68.42.176.240
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, someone died, and people are justifying her death for a possible "drug deal" which has never been mentioned by the press or anyone... you need some serious help.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the charges against the defendants -- Detroiters Robert (Rob-Bone) King, 36; Marlon (E) Scarber, 25; and Eric (Suge) Taylor, 32 -- are state counts of first-degree murder, armed robbery and kidnapping." ---which will get plea bargained down to bare bones time in the joint, and these creeps will be back out to do it again in 5-10 instead of 20-99!!!

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More of the same.....

http://wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_ news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924 _4652451,00.html

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, Detroit will never be anything again unless ALL stop using the race issues over and over again as an explanation for any wrong doing in the city. If it was a white person......if it was a black person, yada, yada, yada. What a waste of time.

Work on reviatlizing Detroit into a place where folks want to live. As long as these heated race issues stand in place that's not going to happen and the only folks that can make that happen are Detroiters, black and white. Put the crap behind you, it doesn't matter who was right or wrong, work on a new day.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1036
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My heart goes out to any family that has had their lives interrupted in such a cruel fashion. My family has never had to deal with losing a loved one or close family friend in that way, and I hope we never do. I can't imagine the pain that goes along with an unexpected loss of that magnitude, and how many lives are touched.

The color of the blood is always red, but the tears and pain are colorless.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4040
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to the woman who was killed by those who don't give a care about themselves or other people. The " VEIL OF IGNORANCE " abhors the human mind. but the POWER of GOD will release the "VEIL OF IGNORANCE" from out of our minds and renew us with a clean heart. Behold O American politicians! As this state experienced a slow ecomony, you shall see that brothers are killing brothers, sisters are bickering sisters for they couldn't find a good job to satisfy their needs. As soon they kill innocent victims and rob homes and businesses. They will get you as well. GIVE THEM JOBS, NOW!

Chitaku

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is kind of shady though because most suburbanites do not travel up off 94 in fear of the ghettohoods on the east side. SO it is a little shady that she "just" went up there.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2522
Posted From: 69.221.38.241
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how someone of Middle Eastern background is suddenly classified as White when it suits a particular agenda (blaming the victim, downplaying negative news about Detroit, race baiting, city vs suburbs). Yet at other times, they are our (Black people/minorities) "Brown brothers".

The fatal flaw in assuming that cooperation with assailants will not result in harm is assigning logic to someone that is already committing an illogical act.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1026
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn't there a car jacking at woodward and willis over the winter where some guy handed over his keys to the assailant and still got shot?

complying with an assailant is a last ditch effort to avert the outcome of a cumulative series of negative events that shouldn't have had the opportunity to flourish in the first place.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply amazing. Already at least 6 or 7 people (including the board admin) on this thread have speculated that she was there buying drugs, and based on what? No facts at all. How many drug deals take place at gas stations right off of the freeway? She said she was there to ask directions. I don't know about you guys, but when I need directions on the road I STOP AT A GAS STATION!!!! Sounds reasonable to me, it's not like she was asking for directions at a crackhouse. But I guess anything you guys can do to pass the blame onto the victim and excuse the crime problem is justified in your minds.

God forbid something should happen to one of you guys one day in Detroit, I'd hate to see what the rest of your DetroitYES forum members would be saying about you, imagining various ways in which you "brough the situation upon yourself" or were "asking for it" or were otherwise to blame based upon pure speculation that is not based in fact.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3603
Posted From: 68.249.236.154
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumb-ass Metrowhatever: The USA (spelled GOVERNMENT) classifies all Arabs as WHITE!! Get a book and learn something .....

Black-atcha .....

Solarflare

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Already at least 6 or 7 people (including the board admin) on this thread have speculated that she was there buying drugs

and some of these same people were just complaining about when the Police profile them in the same way...

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2523
Posted From: 68.248.4.2
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for taking the bait Rasputin (one of the biggest phonies on Detroityes). Funny how YOU call Middle Easterners and Hispanics your "Brown Brothers" when it comes to something that is anti-US yet attack them when it comes to their stores/clubs/gas stations in Detroit, Mexicantown, etc. Perhaps "Congress should award (the latest carjacking victim) a Purple Heart". Maybe the perps were some of Rasputin's "Detroit youth being trained as snipers for the race war".

Solarflare

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit youth being trained as snipers for the race war

I must have missed the memo on THAT one. Some kind of new YMCA program?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2525
Posted From: 69.221.93.85
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solarflare, Rasputin has previously made claims on this forum that he was training Detroit youth as snipers with an M1 rifle (WWII/Korean War era standard issue weapon) at a distance of 1000m.

Note: the training distances used by the Army with its standard issue weapon (now M-16A4) is 350m and for the Marine Corps it is 500m. Also note that a standard issue weapon is not what would be used in sniper training. Also note that Congress does not award the Purple Heart. It is awarded by the Department of Defense/branch of service.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lay off Rasputin, his insight is healthy for this community.

(Message edited by Tayshaun22 on April 27, 2006)

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 689
Posted From: 199.67.140.84
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not over yet Lee Harvey - this is disgusting

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060428/NEW S11/60428005

Gistok

Post Number: 2029
Posted From: 4.229.147.132
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun22....You've got to be kidding..... Rasputin's insight is healthy???? If he wasn't so filled with hate against anything white or European, then yes his insight might be healthy.

And his condescending Ad Hominem attacks are rather juvenile. If he thinks a black forumer is an Uncle Tom, then he posts some nice pictures of Steppin Fetchit and Aunt Jemima dancing along for the masta....

You call that insightful??? I think "inciteful" is a better term....

(Message edited by Gistok on April 28, 2006)

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2336
Posted From: 12.75.20.196
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think tayshun is a plant...

a sarcastic one.

Exit_9
Username: Exit_9

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 69.136.136.118
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How many drug deals take place at gas stations right off of the freeway'"

You would be suprised my dude...I know of a FEW...Gas Stations stay banging..

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard anymore on this story have anymore facts come out ??
It may be all true but something just doesn`t seem right about it how many times in the past has the press giving detroit a blackeye for something like this and a few weeks later the real truth comes out

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some say Rasputin is created by Lowell, but I don't think even the great Lowell could create such a character that speaks in such eloquent terms. You need to read between the lines on Ras's posts, and think before you respond. Maybe then you can understand the deep thoughts of his...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4059
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun22,

Rasputin is actually a yound white 20 something guy thinking he's all black and he's discover the REAL truth behind the white man's corrupt past. He's has been friends with Mr. Boileau since the old Cass Corridor days. WHY because I saw him, IN PERSON!

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Danny, you learn something new every day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.