Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Real Detroit fans left out of games! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the Canadiens versus the Carolina Hurricanes and I noticed the crowd was loud as hell. Kinda makes you think that maybe the once proud Red Wings fans are left out of the games because of all the suits that sit quietly and sip their martinis. The quiet sissy fans are ruining it for the wings. I mean the Carolina game sounded like a European Soccer game

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 69.136.148.83
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or like a pistons game.

Chitaku

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4821
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and your suggestion for a solution is....

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 381
Posted From: 69.209.173.102
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...maybe because it's in Carolina where people don't know how to spell hockey? Supply/Demand?

(Message edited by blessyouboys on April 24, 2006)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 960
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have the Wings play better than they did the last two games - the crowd was plenty loud when they disagreed with a call or a play

turn up the crowd mic when the games are on tv (crowd noise on tv or radio isn't necessarily accurate folks)

Chitaku

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about the Wings lower ticket prices like most other teams did

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2386
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most raucous crowds I've ever heard at hockey games are the ones in Montreal (and I've seen games all across Canada and the States). Now granted tonight's game was in Carolina and it is a playoff series so maybe that's why they were a little louder than usual.

The Montreal game I saw a few years ago was a mid-season, relatively unimportant game in the season (against Carolina too) and you'd swore it was a party before, during and after the game. We had people around us howling, cheering, singing and really really having a good time. Granted a few of them had a couple of Molson's in them but they were all having a grand raucous time throughout the game- not just during a fight or a bad call; it was constant. Even on the ramps after the game (Montreal lost that night) the crowds were still singing in unison some French drinking song all the way out to street level.

Other great fans are the ones in Toronto- another passionate bunch as well.

But I do have to concur that as loyal as we are to our Red WIngs, we are one heckuva reserved quiet crowd- even during the playoffs and noticably quiet during the regular season. it's not that we don't care but I think here in Detroit, we do have so many other entertainment choices we get a little spoiled too. In all of those other cities- their one hot sport might be all they have to cheer for. I use Indiana basketball or Nebraska football as an example.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1109
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... build the new olympia to seat 40,000... The wings are just about the only hockey team that could sell that many tickets... and u can build all the massive suites you want for all the reserved chanpagne drinking folks that get angry when someone wants to stand up and cheer for blocking their view.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1408
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its a Michigan thing. Most people around here don't like to get on their feet and be loud. They want to go to a sporting event and sip on beer and look around. Even for Lions games--and football is normally an intense affair--people don't get into it. I have to say, metro Detroiters seem to be less passionate and more deflated than people in most other places.

This is a good idea for a thread.

Pistons games aren't that intense either...perhaps above average by NBA standards, and this isn't saying much. Most of this is attributable to the spirit that Mason brings in to the house. I guess I don't like NBA games in general, especially after going to college games.

The Wings games are nothing like '97. Perhaps we're spoiled. These playoff games feel like regular season games. I don't buy it when people say that hockey games aren't usually intense or well-suited to fan involvement--check out a UM game or just about any Canadian venue...or Carolina.

I'm also hoping to see a little more fan involvement at Comerica Park. This should come if the team continues to succeed, because a baseball playoff hunt brings some of the greatest tension and excitement in all of sports, IMO.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 436
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to be kidding? Even Toronto and Montreal didn't build new arenas that big. What happens team when the team is in the tank? That's a shitload of empty seats

Alexei289

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... theres other events than hockey...
you could build the place so that seating areas could be easily converted into suites... which bring in more $$$... or you could have alot of places for advertising...

im sure you could build it into the arena...

OR... its Detroit, why couldnt they just build a fuking HUGE ass parking garage by it and make money on other events?

Not only that, but in this day and age, most big developments are beefed up by a retail or residential development as well to recoup some costs JUST for that specific reason.

but it sure would be nice to have 12$ seats wouldnt it?

Chitaku

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not all the fans. The real blue collar Detroiters are being left out, thats why it's quiet. Real D sports fans want blood! Remember the Silverdome?

The_aram

Post Number: 4822
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So lowering ticket prics would automatically cause the more affluent metro Detroiters to stop buying tickets?

Lowering prices will do jack shit aside from giving them a nice discount.

Nor do I think you have suitable evidence to suggest that the people who aren't being loud enough aren't "real blue collar Detroiters."

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

40,000 is still a lot seats to fill there are few events that command a crowd that large. How often that does something that crowd that happen a Ford Field? It'd be better to build something normal sized and compete with the Palace who gets most of the concert business.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 662
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way things are going around here, you won't have 40,000 with jobs to pay for those seats.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1743
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carolina is an extremely loud area but it is not your typical hockey crowd. First off it is the only place I've been where they tailgate for a hockey game and they have cheerleaders. They also go crazy when there is an offsides because they think it is a penalty.

Since when do you have to be blue collar to be a sports fan? Just because you don't want to paint your face and screen like a jackass doesn't make you a bad fan.

Chitaku you sound bitter because you cannot afford to go to the games.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Palace is quiet? What? WTF, are you deaf?

This regular season was a bit more lackadaisical compared to recent history, but that's just because the fans (like the team) have been spoiled by recent success. They're saying "get on with the playoffs"

It was loud as F in there Sunday.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7222
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does someone making more noise mean they are a bigger fan?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1750
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, crowd noise on TV doesn't mean shit. I was at Fridays Wings Game. The crowd noise was deafening.

Just because you don't have connections to get tickets doesn't mean the people who are there are any less enthusiastic than you.

And after living 4 years in Montreal I can tell you Montreal has some of the quietest hockey fans anywhere. They have a rep for quitely sitting back and politely clapping for great plays.

Chitaku

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually i go to alot of games

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 382
Posted From: 69.209.146.149
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also go crazy when there is an offsides because they think it is a penalty.

haha

The_aram

Post Number: 4823
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for cheerleaders at hockey games, that's pretty commonplace in college hockey. When I was in Grand Forks, North Dakota for the NCAA regionals this year, both Minnesota and North Dakota had cheerleading squads that skated aorund on the ice in between periods and such, on top of running around the seating area. Northern Michigan has them, too, as do a number of east coast schools.

It's an interesting dimension, to say the least.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had cheerleaders in Phoenix too. I think it is more common nowadays in new hockey markets.

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 199.67.140.83
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bumber

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 663
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music is so loud at the games it's enough to make you go deaf. It is an artificial way to get folks pumped. Real fans don't need cheerleader tactics to get them going.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 69.81.52.28
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't make noise, it doesn't mean you're not a big fan, it just means you're a big fan that should watch the game at home. I don't understand these people who pay $150 a ticket for great seats 5 rows from the ice and then spend most of the game watching it on TV in the Olympia Room. Maybe Ilitch should just sell expensive tickets for the Olympia Room and sell the seats to somebody who would appreciate them.

Wings games are only deafening when one of two things happen: 1- The wings score. 2- When the scoreboard says "make some noise." And when the scoreboard no longer says that, everybody stops and it sounds like a Mausoleum. It's hilarious. You'd think the scoreboard said "BE QUIET! They're about to drop the puck!"

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Hooha.

I don't like when people go to Michigan football games just to "observe" rather than get in to the game. Sell your freaking ticket to a huge fan out there who will no doubt be thrilled to just be there.

Jt1, it is definitly sports etiquette to get in to the game at certain points. 3rd downs in football....or any defensive stand if you're at the Big House. Or if your pitcher is about to work out of a bases-loaded one-out jam, you get on your feet to urge him on, i.e.

I'm suprised no one reacted to my statement about Metro Detroit apathy/laziness. Don't some of you share the observations that most people go down to games just to sip on an eight dollar beer and sit on their ass like they were at home? Perhaps this isn't unique to this area, but it seems to be most prevalent.

btw, the Palace is probably the most raucous NBA venue (and it should freaking be in DETROIT, therefore I've never gone).

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 315
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hardly say that the crowds in Toronto are loud. Those attending the Leafs games include a heavy number of suit and tie people. I would not say that Toronto has one of the louder, crazier buildings -- even though Toronto in general lives and breathes Leafs hockey. Most "real" fans cannot afford to go to the games more than once or twice a year.

For too many people in Toronto, having tickets is more about status than about cheering on the home team. I would say that Toronto and Detroit are in the same boat.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, I long for the days of standing in the cold, outside of the CPR or CNR Train Stations and getting the box scores from the Telegraphy Operators. Big Train Lionel Conacher and his brother Charlie who played for the Leafs along with the “Kid Line” were my favorites.

Then it became so modern when Foster Hewitt started radio play-by-plays from The Maple Leaf Gardens broadcasting gondola. That’s when I lost interest in hockey.

But, Charlie was always my all time favorite NHA, oh, did I say NHA? I don’t want to give away my age. I meant favorite NHL player of all times.

conacher

Livedog2

Ndavies

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bunch of pompous holier than though crap. What gives you the right to judge how someone else should enjoy a game. If they want to sit quietly by, drink a beer and watch the game that is their business. They paid the cash to go. It makes them no less a fan than if they stood up pranced around like a 15 year old total jackass.

There's nothing more irritating than a drunk off their ass 20 year old who can't hold their liquor and won't let anyone else around them enjoy the game.

Not everyone is 20 years old and needs to be the center of the universe.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Ndavies.

Don't be jealous of the people that can afford the tickets.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 797
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There's nothing more irritating than a drunk off their ass 20 year old who can't hold their liquor and won't let anyone else around them enjoy the game.

Which is why I'll never go to opening day.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1153
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies--You said it right and you said it best.I think I am devoted to my Michigan football games as much as anyone in that stadium( which needs boxes, suites and renovation), but I don't have to go bananas over every play, pass, td or interception.
Plus I have binoculars in hand for every play even though in row 63 you really don't need them. But with program in one hand, binoculars in the other, I am not one to jump up and down every two seconds and bellow. There are others around me who more than make up for my lack of continuous outbursts.
And if you feel you "are left out of a game," go to Notre Dame for a football game and sit in the press box which are considered "prize seats". No sound, no crowd noise,windows are sealed. You look down at the play and up at the tv monitor above you. It's like being in operating room #12 at St. John Hospital watching heart surgery on one of the 5 plasema tv monitors. That's really being "out of the game".

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys should all be sitting in luxury boxes.

Sure we all have different ideas of enjoying ourselves...

I have a difficult time getting into a game if there are three sixty year olds next to me that have sat silent, simply caressing their beers and reading the program or something, during the duration of the game. I don't want to offend them by being too loud in support of our team (they're just enjoying themselves, right?)...boooo for spoil sports.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the 60 year old have sense enough to realize the game is just entertainment. When it's over there are much more important things in life to jump up and down about. When you stop being a child you'll realize it too.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1154
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

caressing beers? In Michigan stadium? That's a no-no, a violation of stadium policy. You must be talking The Joe or The Palace.
But I like your unwaivering approach, mackinaw. I used to sit with the med students when I was at AA. We would fill oranges with vodka using a hyperdermic needle and would suck on the oranges during the game.The ushers thought we were health nuts. By the 3rd quarter, we sometimes didn't even remember who we were playing.
Ah, those were the days, my friend. And keep up your enthusiasm. I will bring you a vodka/orange to the Vanderbilt game. And I promise to stand and whoop and holler after the first 5 Michigan touchdowns. But you gotta hold my program and binoculars.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Ndavies (mr. stodgy) being an enthusiastic fan requires being undignified, or drunk, or child-like?

This is what I'm talking about....a typical attitude. You're a bunch of stodgers!

(Message edited by mackinaw on April 25, 2006)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesssss. Thank you, The_rock.

You understand the student view, and I respect you because you still know when to be enthusiatic, and you represent a different type of fan...you are engaged in the event in a different way.

I was talking about Tigers/Wings/'Stons games re: the alcohol.

The worst of the worst is when it looks like people don't even want to be at a game. And then they leave halfway through! Again, sell your ticket. How will all of you defend these people??? They're enjoying themselves by leaving early???

Chitaku

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some people on here just don't get it. Lets face it the Carolina crowd was loud as hell and our Wings crowd, well is sad. It has nothing to do with who is sitting in the seats. Whoever was at the last game was quiet. I am a college student who attends about 5 wings 5 Pistons games a year and when I am there I get my moneys worth and support my team. Not sit there and be quiet like I am at a movie.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Chitaku!

This isn't entirely an age thing, but it will be painted that way b/c we're both in college. I've seen some lame-ass fans here at UM, not many, but there was the one girl in the Big House who sat down and read a book during two different games.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all well and good, mind you, but is someone going to start the "Metro Times fans left out of games" thread any time soon.....?
anyone?

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not entertainment Ndavies, it's life.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience, outside the student section, most UM football fans are lame. This is the school who threatened to seize tickets for people who stand during games.

Chitaku

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what does the metro times have to do with anything?

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan games rarely get loud outside of ND and tOSU games. During the tOSU game I had to stand all game, but that was the only Saturday where that happened. The University actually wanted to kick out the grad student section in the south end zone because they stood all game.

Ndavies

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry it is an age thing.(or more precisely a maturity thing.) When you turn thirty and you have a life and maybe wife and kids, suddenly yelling and screaming at a game holds much less fascination.

I now leave the yelling and screaming to things that truly are exciting. (Like launching my ass down a 40 foot Couloirs on a snowboard.)

(Message edited by ndavies on April 25, 2006)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 64.241.37.140
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree,

everyone just sits there, acting like big Hockey connoiseurs. Sure the cost of tickets have something to do with it.

Maturity has nothing to do with it. Its about enjoying yourself and cheering for your team.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah if you can't "let loose" at a sports event, when can you? Comerica Park or the JLA isn't the Fisher Theatre. You can get involved. This is not mandatory...like I said, I can respect The_rock, and people that want to follow the game so closely that they have binoculars or a radio...but don't leave early, and don't complain to management if other people want to get on their feet from time to time.

Alexei289

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if there was more seats, they could fit the rich people and the poor people into the same stadium.

S_marshall
Username: S_marshall

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 70.28.83.215
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the way it is here in Toronto too. Suits take over the lower bowl seats, and don't even bother taking in the whole game - there's a lounge for the corporate expense account set.

Any noise-making real fans are in the upper bowl - out of sight. There's a big difference 90 minutes away in Buffalo - where you can get inexpensive seats, and HSBC arena is smaller than Joe Louis and the ACC.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 164.76.205.164
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is the home of the fan people! Let's not get all silly and say that we have lost our passion for hockey, or any other sport for that matter. When the Wings play the way they did on sunday they dont give the fans anything to cheer about. We are probably the most knowledgeble hocky fans in the entire U.S. therefore we cheer when there is something to cheer about, unlike in Carolina where they are cheering just becuase there isnt anything else to cheer about in the whole state. I bet if you look into the actual facts JLA would be among the loudest and toughest venue for road teams to play in. And im not sure what s-marshall is talking about but last time I was at the Air Canada centre in Toronto I almost got my ass kicked for cheering for the wings, so they havent lost their fire either.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3724
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"how about the Wings lower ticket prices like most other teams did"

Why? They have a waiting list for season tickets and strong support throughout the region even among people who don't attend games in person. Given the economic situation of the NHL, one could argue that regular sell-out teams like the Red Wings should raise ticket prices (say 10%) and that additional revenue should go into a general revenue sharing fund to support weaker teams. After all the Wings, Leafs, and Canadians need opponents.

The alleged lack of "noise" hasn't exactly hurt the Red Wings success over the last decade. And as much as some jockocracy color commentators like to ramble on about crowd noise, what impact does it have on the game really?

The Blackhawks old building was amongst the loudest in professional sports and they haven't won a Stanley Cup since 1961. In 2002 Carolina couldn't sell out it's playoff games and yet they went to the Stanley Cup finals.

To use some cross-sport examples, Atlanta stopped caring about the Braves ten years ago yet they've won 14 straight division titles. I guess you might assert that the lack of crowd noise hampered their playoff efforts but if that's true then why didn't they have more playoff success in the early 1990's at the height of the Tomahawk Chop?

And then there are our Lions. The Silverdome was a loud building at it saw but one playoff win and far more losing then winning, even with the advantage of the greatest running back in NFL history.

The value of crowd noise is one of those silly fairy tales of sports like the five-tool can't miss prospect in baseball. The scout said he looked like a ball player. Yeah so did Mike Laga.

And as a fan I'd rather watch the Wings win while sitting at the corner bar, then watch the Tigers lose from a box seat behind the on-deck circle.

Jelk

Post Number: 3725
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and nothing makes me sit on my hands like a scoredboard instructing me to make noise. I am a pretty serious sports fan, I cheer when the action on the court/field/ice/course deserves cheering. Not to feel part of "the 12th man" or some equally innane marketing gimmick.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Superfan #1 (John Green, cup thrower):

Detroit Superfan #2 (Bryant Jackson, Chair thrower):

All you people who go to sports games with your kids and are just trying to have a good time and enjoy the game peacefully are just pussies. The "real" fans are the ones who scream obscenities every three seconds whenever the ref makes a call against Detroit (whether justified or not). You get "superfan" bonus points for spilling your beer on the person sitting in front of you every time you jump out of your seat. All you "family" types with your kids, STAY HOME, you are taking up seats that rightfully belong to drunks and loudmouths (AKA REAL Detroit fans)! We represent here in Michigan, all of our fans should look like this:

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 69.81.52.28
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't say that crowd noise has no effect on the game. The players certainly notice. For example, a few years ago at Michigan Chris Perry suggested that the university hand out paper cups with the bottoms cut out for the fans to use as megaphones so we could improve crowd noise, and I know you've seen defensive players doing the "pump up the crowd" motion when it's a big down. The athletes thrive on the energy and intensity of the crowd to give them a boost.

Also, I think some of you are confusing vehemently supporting your team with acting like an asshole. When I'm talking about making noise, I'm not referring to getting drunk and swearing and screaming for the hell of it. It's doing the cheers, belting out the fight song (at college games), and being loud when the players want you do be loud.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Precisely.

Chitaku

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edmontons crowd was loud as hell. hear em singing the national anthem in-sync?

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An example of good loud support would be the chants for Ozzy when he knocked down Roy.

Jelk

Post Number: 3726
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The athletes thrive on the energy and intensity of the crowd to give them a boost."

Huh I would think the seven figure salaries and the glory of a championship would be all the motivation a pro athlete would need. But they need me to clap like a trained seal as well.

The assertions that crowd noise affects the outcome of game go unchecked but I haven't seen any quantitative analysis that is makes a bit of difference.

It is amazing the sports myths shattered in the last 25 years by solid research. I suspect this will be among the next one to end up on the ash heap of sports history.

The only proof ever offered for the value of crowd noise is the occasional player (ie the Chris Perry example) making an off hand remark about it. That stikes me more a off-the-rack cliche then useful information. I'm just happy to be here and I hope I can help the club. You could really hear the crowd out there today. You gotta play them one game at a time and the good Lord willing things will work out.

(Message edited by jelk on April 26, 2006)

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't think opposing teams do worse when facing Duke or the Cameron Crazies? Or how about unruly rednecks in the Shoe? Show me your research. What are you going to tell me? Road teams fare better than the home team? Please...

Jelk

Post Number: 3729
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know and you don't either. Several factors could play into why road teams fare worse than home teams over the long run. The point is I refuse to swallow the value of crowd noise assertion simply because some half-witted color commentator from the jockocracy says so.

I suspect the idea is false. There is certainly enough anecdotal evidence to suggest it is false as there is that it is true.

And lets say the crowd noise theory is true. Where is it true? High school sports? Division II and III college sports? Division I? Minor pro leagues? Major leagues?

We don't know. What I do find interesting is everyone is so willing to believe something suggested by fat ex-athletes in bad sport coats but the minute a contrary idea is suggested suddenly you all want to see research and hard data.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.