Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » GM's Future in NASCAR « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 149.149.4.196
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.autoextremist.com/page3.shtml#fumes

The company they're talking about in this article is GM. My Dad works for Dodge's motorsports operations and mentioned that this might have some credibility. Interesting to say the least.

(Message edited by tndetroiter on April 24, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's easy to hypertext link. I did it for you...

Thinking The Unthinkable

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 149.149.4.196
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so grateful that I have you looking out for me.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1112
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... who fukin cares anymore... If Detroit was smart, we would have toyota factories filled with ex GM employees... and our bills would be paid.
If Detroit was smart, we could give a rats ass what GM fukes up on because there would be some investment company to apply at, or some nanotech startup with a bright future, or for factory workers, a Merck factory that makes cholesterol medicine. but NO

this town has GM, and FORD.. and well.... party stores, meijers, and a few wallmarts.

so ya... i guess this really does suk for our future.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 208.0.106.126
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about SanDisk? They are saying that will probably need more wafer fabrication plants.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/se mi/showArticle.jhtml;jsessioni d=RTKRAQPJTCPY4QSNDB OCKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleID=18670 0580

Would metro Detroit have enough workers?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh! Is this the site you meant for SanDisk?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better to have Toyota spending millions of dollars of their profits here in the USA in pursuit of a NASCAR championship instead of just sending it back to Japan.

However, the old justification given by manufacturers for participating in NASCAR ("Win on Sunday, sell on Monday") no longer works. Most folks know that there is no longar anything "stock" left on these so-called "stock cars", not even the body silhouette.

Why should Chevrolet continue spending big bucks in NASCAR if they do not see any tangible evidence of a return on their money?

Besides, NASCAR is to auto racing what the WWE is to wrestling - entertainment perhaps, but certainly not legitimate sport.

NASCAR "jumped the shark" the day last season when two pit crews started fighting with each other over an on-track incident involving their drivers. Now even drivers like Jeff Gordon feel compelled to push and shove fellow drivers once they are out of their cars.

NASCAR has become a joke and the France family - and apparently Toyota, too - do not even realize it. However, I am sure that Toyota views their coming participation in NASCAR as just another line item in their advertising budget dedicated to convincing Americans that they are just another American car company.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 525
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if the manufacturers drop out of NASCAR, the millionaire owners and their sponsors will still be there. NASCAR is a huge draw, fan-wise, and I'll probably keep watching for the entertainment.

One sore spot for many, especially here in Detroit, is that NASCAR fans usually are from those many "red" geographical regions on the political map.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

NASCAR "jumped the shark" the day last season when two pit crews started fighting with each other over an on-track incident involving their drivers. Now even drivers like Jeff Gordon feel compelled to push and shove fellow drivers once they are out of their cars.

'Cause we all know there was never any fighting in Nascar in the past.

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 525
Posted From: 68.76.54.108
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why GM wants out of NASCAR. NASCAR is the only reason people buy Monte Carlos. I can't count how many Montes I see with NASCAR stickers all over them.

I've never seen an Intrepid/Charger or Tauris/Fusion done up like a NASCAR though.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1022
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nascar is boring and promotes manufacturers in name recognition only. I say put the money into the product, not some spec series where the cars don't even resemble those in production.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you guys watch nascar?
I always thought it was a drinking game.
How many beers can you finish before the next crash or when they make something other than a left turn.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 529
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine has a point that hasn't been lost on the likes of Richard Petty, who pointed out about 10 years ago that the relationship between the brand of a NASCAR race car and the actual car on the street is really loose at best. I couldn't come close to describing the engine, transmission, or anything else except the Goodyear Tires on Terry Labonte's Dodge Charger. This never was a problem with a Hemi powered Superbird.....

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 592
Posted From: 75.7.173.249
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM should get out.

If your going to pay to race, race the Vette, CTS, GTO, as they have been doing. Gm is earning more credibility outside the states.

The US market will not support 25% market share, GM should start looking to increase market share outside the US, and they have been. They are doing much better in Europe and doing great in China.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.