Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Rock Financial « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the prognosis with the Rock Financial headquarters?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why should Rock do much publicly about that now when there are still more than three years for them to decide upon extending its leases (2010? timeline)? It has a better bargaining position if it keeps up its noncommittal.

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good to know. What's Geeley's (sp?) position then?

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 706
Posted From: 68.21.44.129
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they need to be out by 2010, they would need to make a decision fairly soon, if they are building new (downtown Detroit)

Geely has recognized Detroit because of its large Mandarin speaking population,and because of the auto base in the area, but that could mean anywhere in Metro D.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 481
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When GM downsizes to the point where it will be smaller than what Ford is today and when Visteon won't need much or any of its downtown office space, there should be plenty of available office space in the city.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 708
Posted From: 68.21.44.129
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the RenCen would be an option, but I bet that they would build new otherwise. And the 1 Kennedy Square Building is much to small for Rock...visteon only has one or two floors there anyway.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ripple effect of auto firms' downsizing will have deep and nasty effects for other firms that deal with them for goods and services after their accounts are downsized or eliminated. Besides, it's not important just where headquarters and other offices are anymore. They don't even have to be located anywhere near the rest of their facilities.

The moon anybody? Wanna get transferred there?

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious that they'd have to take up the Hudson's block. That is... unless they build in another part of the city, maybe sprucing up the neighborhood there.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 917
Posted From: 69.220.232.15
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely heard that the top of Compuware's parking structure fit like a glove for them :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3149
Posted From: 68.79.118.181
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northend,
Those "voices" in your head. They don't always speak the truth. :-)

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 919
Posted From: 69.220.232.15
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing short of Joan of Arc :-):-):-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3150
Posted From: 68.79.118.181
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Throw a few more faggots on the pile!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 84.156.62.23
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... a faggot pile!

I miss ALL the fun....

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 69.246.55.57
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hines has proposed to Rock Finacial a building along the East riverfront by the Ren Cen. I'll see if I can get a copy of the conceptual drawings.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.42.220.61
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler site seems like the best option. They can bring daytime foot traffic to Grand Circus Park. Hudson block is def not going to be used. It's development has already been awarded to a southfield based company who will release a development plan in June sometime. The only Campus Martius possibility really is the Monroe block, which I think would be much better served as some sort of residential/ground level retail or larger mixed used building. However, we should be expecting an announcement from Rock sometime this summer from what I've heard

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Apbest, welcome ... Details on Hudson block???

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So most likely,the Rock Financial maybe on the Hudson block, the Statler or the Monroe Block if things is according to the plan.If the company has a plan for the location in downtown.I'll be forward to hear it!!!!

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 728
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest,

the development plan is due in June, but it is not company specific. Rock could be the company tha utilizes the plan....Personally, I think the Statler site is more likely, and I also think that it would be a GREAT step in reviving northern downtown

(Message edited by motorcitymayor2026 on April 23, 2006)

Detroitkev
Username: Detroitkev

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 70.88.123.166
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that Rock will be going to the Hudson's block, but The Statler site makes sens from the free advertising by having their sign atop the building for fans at Comerica to see during every Tiger home game.

Who knows, if the company continues to grow, maybe they will be on both the Hudsons & Statler sites. Can you imagine, Quicken on the Hudsons site, and Rock Financial on the Statler site. Each building with 3,000+ employees. Would be awesome.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 729
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detrotikev,

where did you here this?? Any other inside information??

Speaking of the free advertising in comerica, a couple buildings have started taking advantage of that. The Milner Hotel and Barden Companies both added signs to the back of their buildings that view into Comerica Park....I am surprised that Comerica Bank hasnt put a big sign atop its HQ though.

Detroitkev

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My source says that all parties are working towards the goal of being on the Hudsons block. This was as of 2 weeks ago...things can change though. Deals can fall apart at any time.

Rock grew 33% in revenue last year. They have also added 1400 employees in the past year or so. That kind of growth may not continue at that pace, but it's not unrealistic to think that they could be 7,000+ employees within the next 5 years.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 68.61.11.146
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well who is the source? An insider at Rock and Quicken or who? I would rather see them build on the Statler site because the Statler Site is going to be harder to find a developer for. I would like to see Quicken and Rock take the harder to develop land and leave the Hudsons Block for another thing. Detroit needs this BIG TIME. If we get 4,000 employees walking around that part of downtown we will get some of the parking lots built on and more of those vacant buildings occupied. One big project creates many more little ones and maybe some more big ones. If Rock and Quicken take up the Statler Site, I do hope that they take up the new thing of creating real estate. Rock can use the UA Building with some needed renovations. Quicken can build a new 30 story tower on the Statler site. Then the company could invest in building a new residential tower on the Tuller Site or renovate the David Whitney Building into residential units. But this is all a dream of mine. Sorry for rambling on and on.

Detroitkev

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hudsons site will not be developed unless the developer has signed tennants. Not sure what other companies are talking with Redico, but I'm guessing that Rock is one of very few. I wouldn't mind having Rock on the Statler site, but not if it leaves the Hudsons block empty. If Rock goes to the Hudsons site, it will help the entire Woodward corridor & Campus Martius area, making the area more attractive for big retail. The Statler site should be mixed use (residential, retail, office, hotel). It's definitely a big enough space.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.61.160.221
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard,

Lets not forget that General Motors is still the third largest company in the U.S.A.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.61.11.146
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward Block is probably double the size of the Statler Site. The Campus Martius Master Plan for the Woodward Block was for a Hotel, Residential, and Retail Project. The Woodward Block is more suitable for this because it is in the main district of the city. Residential belongs in this area especially since it is near Campus Martius Park. Residential makes an area more attractive for big name retail because it shows that there is a demand for the retail. If a Banana Republic and Gap is surrounded by office buildings they will probably not get as much business as one surrounded by residential. The Statler Site is the right place for Rock and Quicken because they can build up instead of having a limit of 20 stories (Woodward Block). There is a demand for retail in the area too. Having a building being built makes more room for retail. Detroit needs to wait on the Woodward Block so the city can get the best possible development instead of something created quickly like One Kennedy Square. Redico was granted money to build on the Kennedy Garage and they began right away. The project would have been of higher quality if they would have put another month into the planning.

Apbest

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 72.245.37.5
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I tend to agree. I favor the design I saw on the Kraemer design group's website about Hudson plans. Something like a mid-rise hotel/condo building with ground floor retail that sort of angles in for public space...I really liked the design of it. I cant link you because it's a Flash site.

But you can see it if you go to
http://www.thekraemeredge.com/
Our work -> Consulting -> Woodward Block

4 renderings

Detroitkev

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing you are forgetting is that the Woodward Corridor is already home to over 200 lofts, and there is room for more than 1,000 by converting the existing old office buildings. However, I agree residential would be a nice compliment to the Hudsons block.

I don't think we will see a high rise built anytime soon...for that too happen, you would need to surround it with blocks of parking garages. I'd rather see Rock have a building on each site in more sensibly sized buildings. I would love to see high rises being built in Detroit, but until a mass transit system is realized, the likelihood of 30+ buildings seems slim.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lets not forget that General Motors is still the third largest company in the U.S.A."

Let's not forget that the federal goverment is far larger than GM. Notice the high level of vital goods and services it provides - not!

GM--still a very large corporation--has a market capitalization (net worth) which is very low for a firm a fraction its size, and its capitalization is diminishing year after year. It still provides jobs locally for its employees and for those firms it contracts with. Notice that many of those jobs will be incrementally downsized or outsourced for at least the rest of this decade.

Remember the US industry that once made stereos and TVs during the 1950s through the 1960s. Well, they're all gone now and have been for close to three decades. That's what will probably happen to the two remaining US auto manufacturing firms. Over half of the Tiers will also be gone soon.

When was the last time that anybody remembers the industry giants back then. RCA, which owned NBC, had extensive military and consumer goods manufacturing. It probably was the leader in vacuum tubes and CRTs--the RCA "shadow-mask"--among others. Long gone, swallowed up by General Electric many years ago. Zenith, Magnavox, Sylvania, Motorola's Quasar are just of few of the once biggies that nobody even remembers anymore.

GM and Ford might also be like that within another human generation or two in the future, possibly much sooner. Fading memories...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 23, 2006)

Apbest

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 68.42.220.61
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmm...were drifting

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 593
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I hope they go to the Statler site. It would give them a distinction from the other big companies in the CBD and it would help to grow business for retail and further residential, not only around their building, but inbetween GCP, CMP and Foxtown. Bring in a well integrated Hockey arena into the area and the retail and residential potential continues and spills over I75 into Cass Park.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 68.30.173.226
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just picture some of the views (in every direction) from a high-rise on the Statler site.

later - naturalsister

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1508
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the general consensus that the Statler block is the most ideal place to see Rock put up a building from the city's standpoint.

If I were Rock, though, I would prefer the Hudson's block. Could you blame them? Less expensive / more space, parking in place, near Campus Martius, right on Woodward, etc. They are altruistic enough to consider moving downtown (although that is not without advantages, also). I would hope, if they move downtown and if they choose the Hudson block, that everyone is excited that they are moving to Detroit instead of complaining that they didn't choose the location "we" think they should choose.

Secondly, we've talked about this before - can we move past the Geely thing? They are not moving downtown - it just defies logic for them. Because:

1) It makes sense to have the headquarters and the tech center in the same location for efficiency purposes and building cost purposes - esp for an operation as small as theirs will be initially.

2) You aren't going to put a tech center with test cells and hazardous classified environments in a downtown building. You'd be in the position of having office space on top of (or below) a classified area. Not happening.

There's plenty of people who would benefit from a downtown location. Geely is not one of them.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.40.107.39
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about geely in techtown?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1517
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That might be a possibility if they could pull enough space together.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.