Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Allergic to Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 35.11.234.205
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our fair city gets some of the most peculiar labels and titles. According to an AOL News article http://articles.news.aol.com/n ews/article.adp?id=20060419170 309990001&ncid=NWS000100000000 01 , Detroit has been ranked as one of the nation's seasonal allergy capitals for 2006. Detroit was ranked at fourth place by the Allergy and Asthma Foundation of America.

However, this might be pretty accurate. I am studying in mid-Michigan, and even here my allergy symptoms have been very intese.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5712
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weak immune systems, the whole lot of you.

You would have few if any debilitating allergic reactions IF you strengthened your body's defenses.

I struggled against a ten-year sinus infection and was growing increasingly allergic to EVERYTHING...including severe reactions against chemicals and perfume...until I addressed a yeast problem in my intestines.

Took a few years of diligence, but after only a few months I was able to have the wind to jog more than a mile.

Now I jog marathons two to three times a year, have NO weight problem, and only occasionally react to cats in a closed environment.

EVERYTHING else fell away.

But EVERYTHING I did is poo-poo'ed by the established medical industry because it MAKES THEM NO MONEY when I eat healthy, and exercise, and get ALL the rest my body requires.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little skeptical. I lived all over the country and had never had any real allergy problems in my 10 year tenure in Michigan, until I moved back down south and all of a sudden I'm miserable. The same goes for most people who move down here, where seasons are pretty much nonexistant. In fact, last week I came to Detroit for a few days and felt 100% better.(that is until I left)

It really depends on what you're allergic to.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 902
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Gannon...

Give us your tips...what exactly did you do to kill this 10-year sinus infection?

My personal theory about why so many of us have these problems is that southeastern Michigan was built on a swamp ...

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1027
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm fine until the cottonwood trees start their yearly action. Just seeing it starting to fly makes my nose run. Doesn't last long though.

And Gannon, that's the first time I ever heard of a yeast infection in someone's gut. All I can say is you are what you eat.

Gannon

Post Number: 5716
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Problem is rather the shock to your system when you move or travel to another location.

Lessee...first go to http://www.wholeapproach.com/ , read the testimonials and order their stage one treatment.

Depending upon the depth of your condition, you might have to do this for a while...like three months.

Then stay away from any and all pre-packaged foods, especially fast foods unless you are THIS ( >|< ) close to starvation.

Eat only foods closest to their natural state, except for broccoli...which I recently learned releases more good shit when it is steamed or otherwise carefully heated.

Never eat anything specifically engineered for diets...and as long as you drink a few good glasses of some fresh squeezed citrus fruit for vitamin C cholestrol (whatever they decide is good or bad this week) will not be a problem.

Never eat anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. Never eat any sugar substitutes that are NOT simple stuff closest to it's natural state.

Stay away from processed white anything--especially sugar, flour, and rice.

Drink 8 eight ounce glasses of distilled or pi-water daily...I'm not yet into my pi-water experiment, I'll let you know in a few months what happens.

Keep a good intake of plain yoghurt (sweetened with local honey or fruit if you must), REAL oatmeal (like that Irish steel-cut McCann's that Farmer Jack's doesn't sell any longer...I might have to go to an Irish import store again to find it), and all the fruits and veggies you can stand.

Buy a juicer, and USE it. Come down to the Eastern Market and buy some oranges and lemons...and get your local honey and Grade C Michigan Maple Syrup from the dudes next to each other in the shed.

Meijers has OK organic oranges and lemons most of the time, the ones in the Market are not organic.

Greatly reduce meats that have been raised with growth hormones and anti-biotics. If you wouldn't eat it directly, don't let them feed it to you through a dumber animal's muscle. Try NEVER to eat any animals nervous system pieces.

Cut way down on your caffeine...the body grabs the molecules the moment the first ounce hits your system...most everything else is just an extra tax on your kidneys and bladder.

Exercise...then when you go to sleep stop using an alarm clock. If you don't get up on time, get to sleep earlier tonight.

Never turn on your television, except to watch DVD's that YOU can pause, stop or rewind.

Never turn on your computer, except for essentials...don't burn your life on video games. (or excessive posting on internet community blogs, heh!)

I'm full of it...I know. It just gets worse, you asked.

Oh yeah, check out the relatively insane cleansing procedure of Dr. Stanley Burroughs...my daily non-water or espresso drink now is a version of his lemonade recipe. Unless there is a pint of Guinness nearby, of course!

I guess, in a nutshell, get your body healthy, then think before you chew, but when you do...chew well.

Get off yer butt and move so your lymph system can move all those dead cells and poisons out of your body...the cardio system has a pump, but the lymph depends on full-body muscle movement to function fully.

That's all I have time for now.

This is NOT suggestion for medical treatment...it is MERELY what has worked for me over a decade.

Pffft

Post Number: 903
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks...

You can get those Irish steel-cut oats at Trader Joe's, by the way, and at a very decent price.

Holiday Market in Royal Oak has steel-cut oats as well.

Gannon

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonger,

No doubt...from what I understand, I was beyond hope after two decades of basically a strict orange candy, Pepsi, and McDonald's and WonderBread diet.

Theory goes, once the yeast roots in your intestines the immune system is SO distracted keeping it at bay it cannot do its REAL work fending off attacks from without.

The medical industry gathered together to bring the author of The Yeast Connection far into disrepute...but I'm living proof that at least some of what he discovered is true.

It also dovetails with the stuff that slick-willie salesman talks about on TV...the FDA is much more a capitalistic profit generating enabler than an agency focussed on the health and welfare of citizens.

I trust them as much as I trust the rest of the government...and other corporate enterprises that have forgotten to value HUMANS in their profit equations other than a source for labor or income from the marketplace.

I'm also investigating the things covered by Dr. Richard Gerber through his books, including A Practical Guide to Vibrational Medicine.

He happens to be a client of mine, and the fellow who first diagnosed my ailments. He wanted me to simply buy the pill form concentrate of the organism in yoghurt (lactobacillis acidopholus)...but I went to the health food store and bought every book that had allergy and yeast in the same chapter and my life has NEVER been quite the same.

Gannon

Post Number: 5718
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, study years ago showed that the majority of femine yeast infections were caused by their beer-swilling lovers.

Gannon

Post Number: 5719
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft,

Thanks for the lead on those oats...if I step into an Irish imports store I know I'll just buy another wool sweater...

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 938
Posted From: 146.9.52.32
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you are a god to me.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 69.223.214.2
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish steel-cut McCann's...my local Meijer has it, too, in the foreign food isle. Good stuff. Good tips, too. Simply turning off the TV helps a lot.

Gannon

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't go there, Crew.

Thanks for the compliment...but I ain't no god.

Hell, I can't even get to Pontiac on time...

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 939
Posted From: 146.9.52.32
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

true dat

Bongman

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys sure know how to ruin an Arby's & Coke.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2569
Posted From: 129.105.104.217
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird. I don't have any allergies and I lived in Detroit all my life. I thought places such as New York City would be worse!

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allergies are a mystery to me. I'm getting uncontrollably runny/tingly nose syndrome often lately, but usually my sinuses are worse in fall — probably ragweed.

As far as diet, I just try to eat a varied, wide variety of healthful foods and couple it with regular exercise. But I ascribe preventive powers to the following: garlic, ginger and chile peppers.

Gannon

Post Number: 5724
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock,

That's the nature of a taxed immune system, there is evidence that even the most difficult of auto-immune disorders like Lupus and MS are the result of a disfunctional immune system disabled by a COMBINATION of environmental causes.

OH yeah...intake all of those good things, too.

I do the spicy stuff regularly, but need to get better with garlic and ginger.

Found out that (dis)Honest?Johns will make a killer cheese, garlic and broccoli omelette...even though garlic is NOWHERE on their menu that I could see.

Gannon

Post Number: 5725
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonger,

Just take another hit, you'll forget all this and get your appetite back.

Promise.

Cheers!

Bongman

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting until 4:20pm on 4-20. It should be about the bottom of the 3rd by then. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 5727
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. That is TODAY?!

Damn, I'm out.

Lack of forward planning on my part constitutes an emergency today. (bastardizing that cutesy commentary)

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of Gannon's long rambling post, here's what the great Satchel Paige says to do to not get sick.

1. Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood.
2. If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
3. Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
4. Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society, the social ramble ain't restful.
5. Avoid running at all times.
6. And don't look back, something might be gaining on you.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3685
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good advice Tayshaun22.

jjaba, sneezing on the NW side.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 69.208.126.136
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if i'm wrong here,...but I think people who are allergic to a lot of things would theoretically have a Stronger immune system--in that your body's immune system is reacting to the slightest change and attempting to fight it.

Also, don't know if this has been said above, but air pollutants are a cause of many allergies. The region has its share of factories and everyone drives a car--thus making Detroit's air-quality blow.

Gannon

Post Number: 5729
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless you Jjaba...

...and Blessyouboys,

NO, I don't think that is the case.

We are bombarded by alergens constantly.

Anything MORE than a simple sneeze...if things affect your breathing system beyond your initial 'filter' mechanism...then the immune system isn't doing the best job it can.

Certainly the man-made components in our environment have muddied up the mix that the immune system has to deal with...when your body reacts poorly to a smell, don't inhale that air.

Hold your breath until things clear up.

The immune system should allow you to exist in a relatively normal environment without violent reactions or asthmatic choking or other much worse effects...anything that keeps you from getting lungfuls of 'life force', what the yogi's consider oxygen.

You get enough water and oxygen, you'll feel supercharged.

May that force be wit'chall today.

(Message edited by Gannon on April 20, 2006)

Bongman

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of humorous how Doctors are instructing the parents of young children to let them get dirty more often. Play on the floor, expose them to pets, play in the dirt, all to build up their immunity systems. No need to wash that fake nipple every five minutes anymore.

As far as holding my breath to make things clear up ? Sorry...not the effect I'm looking for today.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When jjaba was coming up, he used Asthmador, a tin of green power made up of Jimson Weed and Belladonna. It smells like marajuana. Man, talk about a nice way to relieve the asthma.

Then Joe Mc Carthy and the anti-dopers came to power and Dr. Schiffman's Asthmador disappeared from the dime stores. Does the Forum know about Asthmador or any other remedies to relieve asthma?

jjaba, wheezy asthmatic since age 3.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There you go JJaba, still on the market.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Old-M edical-Tin-Asthmador_W0QQitemZ 7405422215QQcategoryZ1210QQcmd ZViewItem

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3720
Posted From: 141.217.119.161
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is amazing to me is how all those alternative medicine gurus never make a nickel off their ideas, potions, and remedies the way evil doctors just cash in on sickness. Look at Gary Trudeu selflessly explaining to us how we all lived in perfect health until 200 until modern medicine came along.

I'm not saying all alternative medicine is BS (acupuncture appears to have stood the test of time for instance) but I resent the notion that Dr. Salk and my physician are "in it" for the money. True we should probably all skip McDonalds in favor of apples and lettuce but when the cancer sets in pump me full of as much chemo as I can absorb and you can keep the apricot seeds and colonics.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3694
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova, I tried to smoke it, but that tin was a sonofabitch to get hot enough. But thanks. That was wonderful nostalgia for jjaba. If anybody knows where you purchase that remedy, plase post it. jjaba would rather light up the contents. Just a spoonful and good results.

jjaba, Westside Asthmatic.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 468
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MI is the mother of all mold states. The Great Lakes probably are the culprits. Pray for snow cover.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 68.250.41.176
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my allergies and asthma are by far worse off in Detroit. But I'll be damned if I go back out to the suburbs....

Its strange, whenever I leave the area my allergies mysteriously disappear and my asthma is almost non-existant.

Pffft

Post Number: 910
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds grosser than it is, but for my fellow coughing Detroiters I must recommend ...nasal irrigation. No, this isn't an agricultural deal, you buy a little setup at Meijer's or Walgreen's in the sinus aisle, it involves a plastic bottle with a bunch of packets of saline solution.

You fill the bottle with saline solution, and then jet it up into one nostril. It will reliably come out the other nostril. You repeat with the other side. This washes out a lot of bad stuff and makes you feel like your nose had a shower.

Should be given out to everyone who passes through the Michigan border.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2026
Posted From: 4.229.105.228
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember "The Road to Wellville" movie about the famous Dr. Kellogg (of cereal fame).... all you need to get your body back in balance is a 5 quart yogurt colonic..... :-)

Pffft

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 68.248.6.1
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Errrr I'll stick to nasal irrigation.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 67.38.9.9
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had bad "seasonal" (aka year round) allergies for much of my life that most allergy medications and even two years of allergy shots couldn't touch.

My allergies here have always been a lot better than they were when I lived in SC and even now every trip back to my parents sends me into allergy attacks. I like to think that I'm allergic to rednecks. =)

That being said, when I lived in San Francisco, the air was so horrible that nearly every single day I was having horrible asthma. It was bad, far far worse than Detroit.

Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C, just not the regular acidic ascorbic acid) has been the biggest help for everyone I know. It's a pain in the ass to find (anyone who can find a local place that carries it will gain my love forever!) but within 10 minutes of taking it, my nose clears up, my eyes stop watering, and the sinus mess goes away. It's wonderful.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 67.38.9.9
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember "The Road to Wellville" movie about the famous Dr. Kellogg (of cereal fame).

How ironic that a cereal started by a health nut is so revolting now.

It drives me up the wall that some parents think "vitamin fortified" cereals are healthy when they are nothing but high fructose corn syrup, dye, and BHT. No wonder so many kids are so fat and hyperactive.

It drives me even more up the wall that the use of HFCS is just to save the greedy POS companies a few pennies.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 68.42.169.179
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot where I heard this but I heard having sex is a good remedy for releving allergy symptoms temporarily.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 20.137.2.50
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not tonight, dear Cmubryan, I have hayfever.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 597
Posted From: 68.41.109.36
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 30 years old 75% of the population devolops an allergy to something. Weak immune system has nothing to do with it.

Oh by the way, allergies are your immune system working really hard, so hard in fact that its harming you!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.