Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » KK to reinstate residency requirements at request of CC « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1401
Posted From: 75.10.25.142
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that KK is about to reinstate the residency requirement for his appointees only. As a Detroit resident, I welcome this. If you don't believe in this city enough to live in it, then don't work here. You obviously don't have much faith in your own abilities.

In the article, Collins plays the race card again for no apparent reason other than to blow some hot air and keep herself from floating away. When do we get to unelect her again?

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060418/METRO /604180318

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 583
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"It's a racist law," Watson said of the state law during a council meeting.

How is the state residency law racist? I like the idea of government workers living where they work, but a law that allows them to reside elsewhere is hardly racist.

JoAnn Watson is so bigoted, she thinks that any opposing viewpoint is racist.

People like JoAnn Watson cripple the movement to combat real racial problems by constantly crying wolf. Judging by her actions, it seems that she is more concerned with grandstanding and fanning the flames fueling the racial divide, and less concerned with fighting for real change and equality.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3558
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I simply take her for what she is, a sad caricature and parody for a small subset of the population. It's unfortunate that she was elected into a position of authority, but she's simply shown the extremist that she is, and fortunately for Detroit, as loud as she's been, she's wielded very little power over the rest of the council.

As for the issue, I've mixed feelings on it. But, regardless of my opinons on this, how is Kwame going to skirt the fact that the requirement has been ruled unconstitutional?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3982
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's Right!!!

The Michigan Legislatures had signed the city residency requirements for those who worked in the city and live in the suburbs into law since 1999. KING KWAME can't change the law that allows all city workers and politicians to live in DETROIT in order to work in the DETROIT.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1503
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

The law was for those who workied in the city and were forced (rightly or wrongly) to live in the city. The law lets people live anywhere they want.

Kwame wants to make all city workers live in the city. Again.

Workers were always allowed to live in Detroit.

Llyn

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAnn Watson,

Not everything is about race.

I'd like to see her time and my tax dollars spent on solving crime, deficits, city lighting, bulk trash pickup, etc. What a poser.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1583
Posted From: 69.215.246.115
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Llyn, where would be as a community if that happened?

Llyn

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better?
:-)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 69.212.59.166
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's racist

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1623
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since these positions are political appointees, it is believed that they can be exempt from that law.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7203
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time Watson opens her mouth it just leads to more divisiveness in the region. I love in the city and get fed up with her non-sense. I can only imagine how people that live in the burbs think of her and the fact that she is a representative of Detroit.

Sad indeed. What is also sad is that there is a real problem with racism in this region and country. Every time she drops the r word in a non-sensical manner she diminishes the real racial issues that are alive and kicking.

I think that the law was put in due to Engler and his dislike for the city but it is not a racist law as it stands.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2259
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am for appointees living in the city (also fire and cops to)...just remember the press doesn't want to paint a positive picture of Joann Watson...I doubt they print the entire comments. I have met her on several occasions. She is a VERY nice lady and treats all people white/black/brown the same. She does care for african americans - she should - someone should. Blacks have gotten screwed for a long time and she is fighting for their rights. She is not against whites at all...she is just protecting black people.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4801
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And she gives loving hugs, blah blah blah... Who the hell cares? She should think before she opens her mouth.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8336
Posted From: 67.71.59.252
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Residency requirements are a great idea. The person who is hired has a more vested interest in their city.
As for the racist call...typical Watson hyperbole! She needs her face plastered all over TV or the newspapers or else she feels "left out". But that could be because both medias are racist.
Who voted for this twit and why?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7205
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD - That may be the case but even if they are only printing half of what she said it is still something that a representative of the city should not be saying.

I know some people that are caring and intelligent but you wouldn't know it once they open their mouth. Maybe that's the case with Ms. Watson. She should be intelligent enough to understand the regional political climate and realize that nothiing good can come from calling everything racist. It may help her get re-elected but it certainly will not help the city or the region.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...If I remember correctly, when I served the government as an elected official, we had the same law on our books. The State Supreme court struck it down as unconstitutional. That was 12-13years ago.......The Legislature at the time (under John Engler) may have "backed it up" with a law, but it was ultimately the Supreme Court...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 357
Posted From: 68.42.176.190
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think high ranking employees and officials should be required to live in Detroit. I think it should come with the territory... I agree with the idea of if you work in the city and make major decisions for us and are in a position of trust by the people, you should live here.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3356
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you shopuld live where you serve? I guess a Bloomfield Hills firefighter MUST live in Bloomfield Hills as well.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any other cities in Michigan have a residency requirement?

I know we are not all employed by cities, but how many people live where they work(city)?

I have heard that some fireman, have to live within 30 miles of their station in case of emergency?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 172.162.128.189
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a home rule issue. And Joann Watson is right, it's a racist law. And yes, Ms. Watson damages regionalism practically every time she gets involved in issues that have regional ramifications.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its instructive to note that of the dozens of fire fighters who went to the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, ran up the smoke-filled stairs carrying their emergency packs and ultimately generously gave their lives in the line of duty, most did not live in NYC.

There is no relationship between the place of one's home and the inner workings of conscience, ethics and duty. This residency concept that insists that people who live in Detroit will do their jobs better is a red herring for some other issue.

I ask you - is there any empiracal evidence that the DPD's Black cops living in Detroit are braver, more dutiful, more honest, more compassionate, more quick to action and problem-solving than white cops who live somewhere else? I am not asking for someone's intuitive sense, but for evidence.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read where City Managers in various Michigan cities must reside in the city they serve. If true, how is what the mayor requiring (for appointees only) wrong?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick - It is different for Detroit. IF there is a homeland emergency how will these people get there to take care of us? The rule is that they have to live within 18 miles of the city (I believe it is 18) - 18 miles is a a long way if there is a problem. BH is different it is surrounded by suburbs and is a smaller territory. I do think that police and fire should live within a few miles (if not in the city of BH)...for Detroit they should live in the city that pays them. The DIA requires all their employees to live in Detroit and they are hardly emergency response personnel.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 209.104.144.90
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's totally riduculous that high level policy making officials do not live in the city. What's next? Granholm living in Hawaii? Or GWB living in Mexico? Yes I know they are elected, but elected offficials are elected in part for the kind of people they will appoint. The appointees are really part of the elected political apparatus. And they serve at the will of the elected official.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2508
Posted From: 69.221.94.165
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So "Ilovedetroit" you're not claiming to be Black for purposes of this thread?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - What are you talking about?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2510
Posted From: 69.221.94.165
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you talking about "Ilovedetroit"? You previously said that you were Black (among other things, then denied, then reclaimed). Now you're speaking of us in the third person. You couldn't have been lying (like everything else that you have claimed)?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3559
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morena, city managers, in other cities, are counterparts to a mayor, so of course they need to live in their city. Now, if you're talking about department heads, that's a different story. What the mayor is mandating is that his appointees.

BTW, someone said something earlier about this requiring firefighters and police officers to live in Detroit, which is completely false under the current mandate. That was deemed illegal and dismantled years ago. What the mayor is requiring, again, is for his appointed department heads to live in the city; his cabinent, in essence.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2266
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmichigan - I said I AM IN FAVOR of it ... I didn't say the mayor...but I think they should live here.

Metro - You need to clean out your crack pipe cuz you are not making any sense.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who are you talking to? I don't think I ever asked a question of you.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2520
Posted From: 75.10.19.150
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're claiming to live in Detroit now "Ilovedetroit"? And what happend to you being "Black"?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I probably have never said this before... but JoAnn Watson AND Kwame Kilpatrick, at the same time. Mayoral appointees, elected officials AND city employees should be expected to live within the city. People wouldn't think twice about requiring a state employee to live in Michigan, or a federal employee to be, at the very least, a permanent resident of the U.S. But when Detroit wants to require employees and elected officials to live in the city of Detroit, the community that they serve and the one that supports them, it's suddenly an absurd requirement and "limiting personal freedom".

How do you expect a community to accept and support their police officers when the police officers think they are above living in the community that they serve?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.