Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » You ate too much, you ate too fast.....Michael Coleman's problems « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 525
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw an article on Radio and Records online www.radioandrecords.com that Michael Coleman, the erstwile WDET general manager is going to be facing charges of embezzlement in connection with the WUOM, er, thing. The story was attributed to The Detroit News, and said Coleman accepted food and drink in exchange for on air mentions. Gee, no traidouts in public radio? They're no fun.....

On the other hand my brother, no Coleman fan, would probably quote J. Giles. "Serves you right to suffer..."

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 69.245.78.228
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did you hear that 1 of the dudes is gonna roll on the MC? dime him out in court

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 899
Posted From: 69.221.67.48
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been all over the Detroit papers, you hardly have to look at a synopsis in Radio and Records to find out about it.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2257
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like what he has done to WDET.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 632
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love what he has done to WDET.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I love what he has done to WDET.

What, turned it into WEMU?

I know that something had to happen in order to raise more money at WDET. But I really don't understand why people would welcome this kind of change at WDET. IMO WDET is now just another Michigan Public Radio Station.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 901
Posted From: 69.221.67.48
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waaah no more Pat Metheny. No more U2...

Detroit needs a classic public radio station. In today's world, if boring "adult" music turns you on, there are infinite ways to find it, internet, satellite radio, and in the case of what Martin Bandyke played, a lot of it is on commercial radio.

Programming that kind of music all day for a mass audience clearly didn't work. Not only did they fall short at the last three pledge drives, their listenership was plummeting since they dumped the NPR shows (and the bluegrass and folk) in 2004.

Logic leads you to the inevitable decision that something had to change.

Their tanking happened at the same time Michigan Radio was doing great. So what would you do, stay the same?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 633
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My joy can be summed up in two words - Democracy Now.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pffft,

Check out 90.9 WRCJ for classical public radio. They switch to jazz at night, but it's all classical during daytime.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tree, think it's 'classic' not 'classical' public radio...
WDET used to have dozens of diverse programs that pretty much covered the interests of the entire Det area community. That was classic public radio. Some thought it was un-focused but it really was interesting - every program had its own agenda, viewpoint, and value system. Drove the Managers nuts.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5686
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The enthusiastic loyalty for Michael Coleman from the people I know who work at the station sold me after a reluctant first few months of the changes...I am once again a volunteer and supporter of WDET.

That BBC world-wide talk show can take a flying leap, though.

I learned over the weekend that long-distance running to classical music is just NOT the same as hoofin' to Jon Penney's lovingly delivered rhythms. That guy really knows how to share his enjoyment of life over the airwaves...sure wish they'd get him back.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.