Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit/Hamtramck Jew -- 2nd Lt. Raymond Zussman, MOH « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd Lt. Raymond Zussman was born and raised in Hamtramck, Michigan and entered the service at Detroit, Michigan. Our Brother and Native Son served our country during the Second World War in the ETO (European Theater of Operations). He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in the face of heavy enemy forces during the battle at Noroy le Bourg, France in which he gave the last full measure of devotion and his precious life.

Medal of Honor Citation at the bottom of the page for Zussman, Raymond:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohiib2.htm

In the City of Hamtramck there is a park called Zussman Park. It is located right across the street from Hamtramck City Hall at 3401 Evaline Ave. I believe Zussman Park is bounded by Evaline Ave. and Yemans St on the south and north; and, Winfield and Falcon Sts. on the west and east. To my knowledge there is not a marker, sign or memorial plaque of any sort saying it is Zussman Park. Why is that?

If anyone has better information than I have just stated about a marker, sign or memorial plaque, please let me know. If not, I would like to look into getting something installed and dedicated at the park to 2nd Lt. Raymond Zussman a great American and patriot.

Let me know what you think.

2nd Lt. Raymond Zussman credit the Hall of Heroes
zussman

Livedog2

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3657
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a nice effort Livedog2. You'd think the Jewish Historical Society of Michigan would be interested. jjaba knows the park.

So folks are right. There was a residential Jewish community in Hamtramck as well as a commercial/industrial group.

jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/ fg.cgi?page=gr&GSin=Zussman=Ra ymond&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all& GSob=n&GRid=7977418&

Livedog2

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about something along the lines of getting the military/fraternal organizations in Detroit and/or Hamtramck like the Polish/American Vets, Polish Legion of American Vets, etc. to possibly sponsor something like this or at least take a lead or help out in some way.

Your suggestion Jjaba concerning the Jewish Historical Society of Michigan possibly having an interest is a good idea. I would welcome any suggestions, ideas or support for this idea.

I have no idea how to go about doing something like this but since Zussman Park is probably City of Hamtramck property then they would have to be involved. Maybe they would assist or even take a lead.

I have no idea what kind of plaque, memorial, sign or whatever would be appropriate or what the cost would be. But, I can say I will pony-up $50 and invite others to make a pledge too if we can get some interest for this project.

Obviously, this will be a process that requires much discussion, thought, ideas and feedback. So, I am open to any of these steps along the path.

Livedog2.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2905
Posted From: 69.215.245.97
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog, contact Greg Kowalski, chair of the Hamtramck Historical Commission, about your idea for a marker. He can be reached at gkowalski AT ameritech.net

The most that's there now is a small stone marker either by the flag pole or just across the street from City Hall. It's been so long since I walked through there looking for it, I can't remember.

Why's there nothing more, you ask? Because until very recently, Hamtramck was full of people who either knew who Ray Zussman was or knew him or his family. The thinking was, Why have a marker for somebody we all know?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck Steve tells it like it tis. And while you're at it, ask Mr Kowalski for a package of Polish sausage and some dill pickles.
jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2491
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I learn something new every day up in here. Good find Live Dog.

Livedog2

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okey-dokey -- I've got three things on my list to get from Greg Kowalski:

Polish sasuage
polish sasuage

Dill Pickle
dill pickle

Marker for 2nd Lt. Raymond Zussman
marker

I'm on it!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, you make JJABA laugh.
You go girl!

jjaba, walking Holbrook looking for his friend Jimmie Hoffa.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.