Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Michigan represents big in Boston. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1900
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earlier today, two runners who run with the Rochester Hills based Hansons-Brooks Distance Project placed 4th and 10th overall in Boston Marathon's Mens Division. I realize this is not big news to 95 percent of the people who read this board, but it is something you should know. This is a HUGE accomplishment. The Hanson brothers and the Brooks-Hansons team might be the single biggest factor in why Americans are making a comeback in long distance running.

Be proud. In the long distance running community, The Hansons, and the state of Michigan are known commodities.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1396
Posted From: 75.10.25.142
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay for Hansons!

In high school I reluctantly went to Hanson's for my first pair of real running shoes at the recomendation of my track/cross country coach, even though I knew I'd pay a premium there over Foot Locker, etc.

I really enjoyed the experience and decided to pay the premium for my new shoes, despite my meager part-time fast food wages, because of the great service and encouragement I received from the staff. I bought many more pairs of running shoes from them over the years and received lots of encouragement both in the stores as well as local track and cross country meets. What stores do you know of that show up to high school events just to cheer on their customers?

The Hanson brothers have done a lot to support local runners, everything from the newbies in high school to the folks running for fun/fitness to those who have aspirations of greatness like those who placed in the top ten in Boston.

Here! Here! to the Hanson Bros.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's huge news. Looking at the splits, Brian ran a great first race in Boston.

I also buy all my running shoes from them and try to do the Thursday night group run from the Royal Oak shop every week.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 571
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1209
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is truly awesome. Local boys make good.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1134
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother and I ran the Boston in '58. WOW-that was 48 years ago!! Not really popular then as it is now but it was still the King of American Marathons. Maybe 2500 runners(?), but really dedicated ones at that. It was well before the running craze hit America, only two or three brands of jogging shoes were on the market etc. I think one of the Kelly Brothers won it that year.
We were both students at U of M, had only the track in Yost Field house to train on as well as the cinder track behind the I.M. Building. Both flat, no hills.We should have trained on the golf course. Little time to really concentrate on training. We drove all night to get there on time. And it all caught up to us in the Big Run in Boston.
I got 13 miles, my brother 18. That was enough for both--everything hurt, and there is something pyschological depressing when a sound truck passes you at the 13th mile mark and bellows "Only 8 more miles"!!
Brother Ed, a second year med student, missed a surprise anatomy exam which was given while we were in Boston. The anatomy professor announced during the exam that it would count 40% of the final grade and the only excuse for missing the exam was "for health reasons."
On returning to AA, ED learned about the missed test, met( humbly) with the professor who said "I understand you had to travel all the way to Boston for health reasons". He was allowed to take the exam later that week.
I had an understanding professor too. Got to make up a Philosophy mid-term and managed to get a hook and still passed the course. Maybe both of these professors, at least inwardly, respected this great American tradition even "way back then".

2 more years we would like to go back for our 50th Anniversary. Lots of luck qualifying!!

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is kick-ass news. My results list shows 16 Americans in top 25, 7 of them from the Hansons team. These are the studs you see during, say, the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot sprinting down Woodward toward the finish line while you are trudging toward the mid-way mark. I do need to get my ass out to one of their group runs some time.

I agree that Hansons staff are knowledgable and helpful, but I must say I think their stores could be upgraded from a marketing/aesthetic perspective. Other stores, such as Running Fit, design showrooms that are inviting and appeal to runners and non-runners alike, while Hansons seems content to substitute stacks of shoe boxes for decor.

I still shop there, however, and I commend them for their success.

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 68.75.240.133
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the Hanson Brothers put on the foil before the big run?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.