Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Urban Exploration « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as proud detroiters, what are your opinions of urban explorers? note, these are not vandals or thieves, (that's a different case) but rather those who break/sneak into abandoned buildings and take pictures, and the majority of the time nothing more. discuss.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they do the community a service in their photography. I would hope that in years ahead they consider donating their photo collections to an appropriate facility, such as the Detroit Historical Museum, the Burton Collection, or the WSU archives. I, for one, am grateful to them for what will be a last look into many Detroit landmarks.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 383
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good point ray the people how people who take these pictures seem to have a real love of the city and the buildings the harm I see being done isn`t by these people..
To me more harm is being done by people like the ones who own building like the wurlitzer building buy it for 220,000 and won`t sell it for under 2 million while the roof rots and vandels destroy it

(Message edited by ddaydave on April 17, 2006)

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 65.29.97.102
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Historians

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4794
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

andy, you don't happen to go to UM, do you?

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, check the "Detroit born and raised" facebook group and you have your answer.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering was that him too.

The_aram

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought that name looked familiar.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1994
Posted From: 4.229.105.242
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a warning to newbies.... Lowell has made a point repeatedly in the past to not allow folks on this forum to plan any urban explorations (or other illegal activities).... it puts him at legal risk.

I know that is not what is being discussed here, just the concept of urban exploration experience, but I just wanted to add that caution to your discussions.... discuss! :-)

Hey Jjaba, I'm getting close to 2,000 Posts!!!

(Message edited by Gistok on April 16, 2006)

Andylinn

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, yes, i'm the Andy Linn from U-M. I'm all about the D. Are you someone I personally know, or are you a person who knows me through the model d "detroit by choice" article/facebook/campus activist community?

Gistok, thanks for the caution. Understood, makes sense.

The_aram

Post Number: 4796
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm an RC kid. i've seen your name around.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the facebook group.

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 12.146.72.169
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I truly enjoy the urban explorations. they all seem to care deeply about detroit. I also enjoy the pictures of building and places that I have not gotten to see myself.

Erob
Chicago by way of Detroit

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 69.212.122.154
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thrill-seekers, trespassers, involuntary asbestos breathers, and pathfinders for scrappers.

Andylinn

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in my experience, er, from what i hear, urban explorers are beaten to the scene 100% of the time by scrappers... so i agree with most of you guys. the experience offers a glimps of a strange kind of beauty and adventure not known in almost any other major city in america... Especially in buildings downtown, this exploration offers us a selfcontained discussion on urban decay... i'll post some drawings/prints I just completed dealing with this when I get them returned from my art review.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 141.213.225.83
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I formed the "Michigan Urban Explorers" facebook group, but its membership isn't all that high. It's made up of a few my friends who went in the Broderick or MCS like once or twice.

I think urban exploration is a bit more respectable despite security concerns nowadays. I guess it's because the public is seeing these buildings fall into major disrepair and feel that someone is obligated to document them properly, even if that means bending the law a bit.

IMO, if building owners knew urban explorers wouldn't hold them liable for any injuries and weren't doing anything destructive, It's doubtful they'd even care whether people were going in their building or not.

BTW, here is some of my work:
http://flickr.com/photos/70205638@N00/sets/506760/

(Message edited by wolverine on April 17, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1995
Posted From: 4.229.9.227
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a rather rotund Katherine Clarkson, former Executive Director of Preservation Wayne nearly crashing thru a floor vent of the United Artists Theatre about 6 years ago. Fortunately for her, her girth is what kept her from going all the way in. BTW, she and a few other Preservation Wayne members had gotten permission for the exploration.

People have gotten killed in Urban Explorations around the country. It's easy to say that you won't sue a building owner for injuries... but is your family as forgiving if it proves fatal to you? In this day and age, it is soooooo easy to "Call Sam".

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 475
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a similar band of folks in the west that explore old mining tunnels and shafts. It's not without dangers...cave-ins, methane gas, and, not least, friendly little rattlesnakes who love the dark recesses in the summer heat.

I did some when I was a bit younger out here (southern Nevada, NW Arizona), but have pretty much given it up as my hair has turned gray. It's exciting, especially if you have learned a little bit of mineralogy and can understand the rocks a tad. Artifacts are scarce but can be found in remote areas.

Generally, there is no law against it, unless someone has renewed the claim. If they have, you're trespassing. Problem is a renewed claim is rarely posted.

Never stumbled on a rattler in my explorations, but disturbed a few barn owls who seem to like these places also. Pretty birds.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok said, "As a warning to newbies.... Lowell has made a point repeatedly in the past to not allow folks on this forum to plan any urban explorations (or other illegal activities).... it puts him at legal risk." I can understand this position theoretically. But, in practice are there cases that anyone knows about where the law has gotten after anyone for “Urban Exploration”? What about the detroitblog guy? So much of what is on his blog is about “Urban Exploration” and if there was a problem it would seem that he would have stopped “Urban Exploration” long ago. Can anyone speak to what I am saying?

urban

Livedog2

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 141.213.196.136
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, I think Mike Ilitch is the only individual that has to worry about lawsuits. Fortunately for him, his buildings appear to be well sealed since the Superbowl. I'll give the fine Arts maybe 1 or 2 more years until the entire building collapses in on itself, onto the Kales building, or onto Adams Street. As for the rest of Detroit's major abandoned buildings, the chance of falling through a floor (unless you walk into a hole) is slim to none.

Andylinn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in terms of danger of falling... i've not encountered any as of yet... most of those old buildings/factories seem to be built with pretty solid concrete and steel floors... even roofs have seemed solid as hell... I wouldn't ever put myself in serious danger...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.