Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Boat launch in the City? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any plans to build a public launching facility in the City? Or even better are there currently any that I may have just never heard of? I have used the one at st. Jean (sp?), but did not feel very comfortable leaving my vehicle there after dark.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be one at the foot of 24th street, adjacent to the Fire Boat house. Have no idea if it's still functional.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2303
Posted From: 12.75.18.81
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's one in Delray between Fort Wayne and Zug Island. I think it's actually DTE property. There was a guard shack but no guard, just a bunch of people hanging out.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 840
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Jean is cool...DPD are pretty good about patrols back there. It's ok to park after dark...in my opinion anyway.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 24.208.234.52
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid (60's) My dad used to launch his little 16' wood boat at the St.Jean Marina. The launch ramps there were incredibly steep--one has to be quite careful after launching to get your tow vehicle back up the ramp. More than once we arrived or returned from a day on the river to see a car submerged, it's owner standing around pissed. Were it not for those boat trips I would have very little experience of the east side, and E.Jeff ave. We were west siders, 7/Evergreen, and back then east was east and west was west. I remember the awful smell when passing by the uniroyal plant. There was a beautiful little mom and pop store right at the corner of E.Jeff and St.Jean. It dissapeared sometime in the 70's.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1738
Posted From: 69.220.232.59
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne county boat launches

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MR BIS/matchcounty.asp?Cnty=82

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 67.149.72.160
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used the launch at Riverside Park at the foot of W. Grand Blvd. many times. It was so close to my house I could be in the water 30 minutes after getting off work.

I believe it is still open.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1253
Posted From: 69.215.79.21
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City of Detroit "closed" the two sites it had in the City (including Riverside). The ramps may still be there but they are no longer maintained. The only public access to the Detroit River for boaters is in other communities.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If what Bindetroit says is true, it is sad that Detroit -- a city founded on a river -- does not have a single public boat launch.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 67.149.72.160
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is sad. Another reason for people to drive outside of Detroit.

I can't believe they would do this.

When I lived in Southwest Detroit I had to drive to neighboring communities to go grocery shopping. The closest Farmer Jack was in Melvindale.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 221
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the replies, but it looks like I'm still out of luck if what Upinottawa says is true. I often launch in Harrison Twp, and where the river dumps into Erie, but I was hoping to find a secure place in the city for those days when it's a bit rough to make the trip by water. I have heard of several security problems at St. Jean ( The ramps not an issue as I have a 4X4 diesel =)), and considering the fact that I would be leaving the truck and trailer there overnight I really don't want to risk it.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a small ramp used by fishermen down at the end of Alter Road on the east side. I haven't been down there for a couple years, and last time I used the ramp to launch my kayak, I was informed you were supposed to pay to use the ramp. I do know there has been a lot of demolitions of the trailer park and a home next door to the launch since I last used it, however.

At any rate, it's a smallish ramp that leads to a fairly narrow and shallow canal, so if you have a big boat, you're probably outta luck here.

Treelock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a small ramp used by fishermen down at the end of Alter Road on the east side. I haven't been down there for a couple years, and last time I used the ramp to launch my kayak, I was informed you were supposed to pay to use the ramp. I do know there has been a lot of demolitions of the trailer park and a home next door to the launch since I last used it, however.

At any rate, it's a smallish ramp that leads to a fairly narrow and shallow canal, so if you have a big boat, you're probably outta luck here.

Treelock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops sorry, y'all

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 67.38.9.9
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ramp off of Alter can be used by "larger" boats at some times in the year - although even in higher water, the Fox Creek can get pretty weedy.

St Jean was a nightmare - we made the mistake of launching there for the first time in our new to us boat (25" old Bayliner, even with our 4x4 Tahoe, I kept picturing us ending up on America's Stupidist Home Videos) to get it to the well we had at Harbor Island. I still have nightmares of everything that went wrong that day.

At any rate, a couple of years ago Harbor Hill Marina (11000 Freud) offered overnight parking and launching even if you didn't rent a guest well. IIRC, there is a guard there all night and the parking lot is gated.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.