Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Another Sign on Freeway: "We Hope You Survive" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2527
Posted From: 69.212.41.58
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroit's "Serial Signer" has struck again.

For the second time in a week, someone has erected a phony -- but very official-looking --green-and-white sign along a Metro area freeway.

It reads "Welcome to Detroit: We Hope You Survive."

The latest placard was discovered Friday morning along the southbound Lodge freeway at Eight Mile Road, near the boundary of Oakland and Wayne counties. It's the twin of a similar sign discovered along southbound I-75 at Eight Mile Road last week.

The discovery deepens the mystery of how the prankster -- apparently someone with a grudge against the Motor City -- manages to put up the signs without being snitched on by passing motorists.

"Just like the sign on I-75, this one was made of plywood and was on a regulation signpost," said Michigan Department of Transportation spokesman Rob Morosi.

"One of the road crews removed this one too. Either this sign bandit has struck again or we have a copycat out there. If we continue to see them, we'll just take them down as they appear."

Morosi said he was pretty sure it was illegal to erect the phony signs.

"It's illegal to post any type of sign on MDOT property without permission from the state," Morosi said.

"And I'm pretty sure we didn't give this guy a permit. I can't predict what we would do if this person were to get caught, but they might face charges of defacing state property."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060414/U PDATE/604140426

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 68.61.118.126
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who could even read that from the Lodge? What did the first one say?

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 207.67.146.66
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does anyone think this sign-guy has a grudge against Detroit? It tragic, but he is stating a fact; Detroit is a dangerous place. It doesn't matter that another city might have a higher rate of mayhem, Detroit is way up there on the list. Maybe this action will wake up the city to do something about the reality of the problem of crime.

the river rat packs legal heat

Jimelnino

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sign isn't going to "wake up the city", nor is it an effective means of protest. It seems to me that this is a somewhat more sophisticated form of graffiti.

I've been to Detroit many times, and I always made it out alive (obviously)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1098
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont deal with drugs... so .. really i really dont fear anywhere in the city unless i looked like i had dollar bills hanging off me... but thats just common sense...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3635
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hogtie and whip the asshat.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A sign isn't going to "wake up the city", nor is it an effective means of protest. It seems to me that this is a somewhat more sophisticated form of graffiti. "

Actually it sounds like a great form of protest to me (If this was done in protest as opposed to just being a joke). This man (or woman) got his message out to far more people than a person holding the same sign. I just wish he/she would follow it up with worthwhile message.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 66.43.171.103
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it's funny... and I cant help but think that the person making the signs was just trying to get a laugh out of the people who saw them.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2106
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's interesting here, is that unless you've caught the article, most people haven't even been aware of its existence.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2246
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I always say the News and Freep are not our friends.

Drdetroit
Username: Drdetroit

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 69.219.20.60
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone needs to get a life. They probably put the sign's up as they were leaving Detroit after visiting a dope house to get some smack.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 363
Posted From: 69.209.190.46
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it's an older fat white guy from Hazel Park who lost his job and now has nothing better to do than sit in his garage and snicker to himself when making these signs.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 159
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the sign, it speaks the truth......and you all know it!

Jjaba

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Hazeltucky.
Like East Detroit, the name was recently changed to reflect the demographics.

Their twin city is Ypsiltucky.
jjaba.

Xphillipjrx
Username: Xphillipjrx

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 68.43.211.154
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Walledtucky?

Zelda
Username: Zelda

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 68.60.121.111
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is a protest, the culprit is a lot more clever than the knuckleheads that dumped white paint on the Joe Louis fist.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is hillarious and makes a good point

Jjaba

Post Number: 3640
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably the same family of whackos. Superiortucky KKK Township?

Ok, Walledtucky. That's funny. But beware, Jews are moving in.

jjaba.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2297
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know, I don't think I really mind these signs. I would've never have thought twice about them until I saw the article in the papers. Is it any worse than some of the signage we see up along our roadways now?

You've got to admit at least the people that put them up had at least some craftsmanship in fabricating them to the point that the majority of motorists didn't even notice them in the sea of signs that dot our roads now.

River_rat

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 207.195.240.191
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread defines Detroit. Someone is making a statement that is very true.... and very few people even want to address what it states. This is not graffiti. It raises the fact that is the overwhelming problem in Detroit. Crime.

Your car insurance costs more because somebody will swipe and wreck you car. You can't go into significant area of the city because you will be a target of any number of crimes. Businesses won't move here because of personal safety issues (aka crime). The transportation system is a laugh because people won't ride it because of personal safety issues. Restaurants have fenced in, guarded parking because of crime.

To much of the country, mention Detroit and people don't think cars anymore, they think crime. The victims of crime aren't fat white guys or the rich. They live in Detroit.

Wake up Detroit, elect a politician that will put every criminal into a warehouse jail. Get them off the streets. The recent four murders in "a known crack house" is amazing. If it was known to be a drug establishment, why was it there?

the river rat awaits the rage

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.220.68.161
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River Rat:

We have many known drug establishments here in the city....I would agree, if the people want them gone why are they still here? The answer is simple....The People don't want them gone....where else would they get their dope? The cops don't want them gone either...Job Security I would say...

I would also say some of your assumptions are way off. Car insurance is high because of RED LINING! not crime....more cars are stolen in Soouthfield than downtown Detroit.....
I ride the buses every day, people who avoid the busses do so because they want to avoid BLACK people.....Suburbanites especially! I have never seen a crime commited on a DOT bus? But I have only been riding for about 1 year so I guess if I give it some time huh?
Crime is what the media says is the problem....Fear is the actual problem...There is very little crime against innocent people in the city.
Most victims of crimes here in the city are actually players in the game, they just lost, that is all.....

Also locking up people in jails is not the answer.
We have almost 2 million behind bars in this country. The prison industrial complex is the largest and fastest growing part of our ecomony. The only people who should be locked up are people who hurt other people....To lock up criminals for drugs just helps keep the revolving door of the criminal justice system greased with the lives and careers of you black men.

If you look at the drug laws in this country you will find that they are steeped in racism. It was William Randolph Herst who in his newspapers printed the headline "Marihuana causes black men to rape white women" OH how scary that must have sounded in 1935.

Or how about this gem from Harry Anslinger, the U.S. Commissioner of Narcotics, back in 1937 while testifying to Congress on why marijuana should be made illegal he said "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others"

Jimelnino

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign makes a point? If I made a sign that said "Welcome to Detroit, Salad is good for you" would that make a point? Yes Detroit has crime, but the places in Detroit that are the most dangerous are places I don't go to, therefore, I have nothing to worry about, short of walking in the street at rush hour. I don't know where you hang out River_Rat, but I have never felt unsafe on the People Mover, I have never felt myself a "target of crime" when I am in the city, and I've never had anyone "swipe and wreck my car", whatever that means.

People shouldn't be so uptight about this, if you wanna go to a seedy part of the city to get some dope, then yeah you better watch your ass, but you know what, Chicago has just as many seedy areas as Detroit, but everyone things Chicago is the Jesus Christ of midwest cities.

And like some people have said, this sign wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention if it wasn't in the paper, hell you couldn't even see it while you were driving by.

I don't give a shit what some crazy sign making guy thinks, I'll still be going downtown, and I won't be looking over my shoulder or packing heat.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimelnino - you're right now, brother. the places i go always feel safe... even when i'm, eh, urban exploring, i feel fairly safe... stay out of certain scenes and you're safe... .andy.

River_rat

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 207.195.240.191
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what you are saying Jimelnino, Andylinn and Bagman is that it is OK that the crime victims of the city are murdered, etc. They just are going to the wrong places and live in the wrong area of town.

the river rat doesn't think so

Jimelnino

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to tell me where in my posts you see me say that then please do, because I am at a loss on that one.

What I'm saying is, where I go in Detroit, I feel safe, period.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you go?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3533
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The smart-ass that made this sign is neither funny nor clever. The signs creator is simply playing on tired stereotypes and stupid cliches. At the best, this was made by some immature kid, and at the worst it's made by some competent adult with a child on their shoulder, which there are already far too many of in the city and suburbs, alike. In most other cities, this wouldn't be a big deal, but with relations already so incredibly strained between city and suburbs, and the length of time the estrangment has been, this does absolutely nothing but fuel each side. It's stupid little things like this that keeps the region apart, and whatever coward put the sign up is irresponsible, reckless, and doing no one any good.

Again, stupid at best, and reckless and irresponsible at worst considering the fragile state of regionalism.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well put lmichigan... this is not what detroit needs. we need to heal. god bless detroit...

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cops don't want the crack shacks gone because...that's where they buy their dope, too!!

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from a link posted in another thread.. From a UK newspaper or ragmag (national enquierer, etc), don't know which, it shows the impression of those outside of Detroit. Most of whom, I'd wager, have never even seen the city outside of a theater or television screen.

"Walking from one side of Eight Mile Road to the other is a jarring experience. To the south stretches Detroit, overwhelmingly black and poor. Businesses are shuttered. Some houses are burnt-out shells and abandoned cars stand on the streets. To the north lies the mostly white suburbs of Oakland County. The shops are richer, the houses freshly painted and the neighbourhoods have names such as Ferndale and Royal Oak. In between stretches Eight Mile Road, so called because of its distance from Detroit's river front. It is a strip of highway lined by pawn brokers, sex shops, topless bars, fast food restaurants and the sort of motels where guests stay either for an hour or three months. It is a haven for prostitutes and drug dealers. Even at 9am, just pulling up to the side of the road is enough to elicit the attention of a young man keen to sell drugs"

The article was about a recent double shooting but this particular paragraph caught my eye. Not because I believe it but because I know it's bullshit. To read this would give one the impression who has never spent any time at all in the city, that Detroit, or south of 8 mile, is a crack infested whorehouse slum. All the while, North of 8 mile, well kept homes with pickett fences, and streets paved with gold.

Sorry to inform you Mr http://www.observer.co.uk/ but you are dead ass wrong. While Detroit has it's problems and slums, it is not the ghetto shithole that the quoted paragraph makes it out to be. In over 20 years of working on homes in Detroit, I have NEVER been approached by someone "keen" on selling drugs, nor a prostitute. The answer to both would be no if I had but that's a different point. I've never feared for my life either. 999 out of 1000 of the people in 'The D' are honest, hard working, decent people. Many who, by the way, (just to keep in reference to the quoted paragraph) keep thier homes and property in better shape than many I've seen anywhere else, including North of 8 mile. It's just a shame Mr http://www.observer.co.uk/, that the other 1 per 1000 is all you choose to see and use that one to broad brush the entire city.

To the topic of this thread, the sign, if I had driven past it on the freeway and even noticed the sign, All I would have seen is "Welcome to Detroit". Given the fact that the average speed on the freeways is 70mph - 80mph, I doubt many people even noticed it. That has me thinking, that the same one who posted the sign, Also took the photo. I'll step off the soapbox now...

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 35.8.218.148
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted the sign..... and I'm getting ready to post another one, while my accomplice turtl man gets ready to strike, and then me, turtl, money, and eggs , are gonna meet up over @ Laffeyette Coney Island, for some dogs, after our hard night or work.... whoever would like to join.... this saturday starting in the CBD is more than welcome.. 11:30pm sharp!!!!

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 64.26.148.246
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As one who has been known to fabricate and install signs (usually street signs), I'd like to give the "sign bandit" credit for good letter-pair kerning. Unlike the "WAYNE COUNTY" sign above it. (Who makes these things, prison labor?)

Retroreflective in Ottawa.

Skamour14

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 35.8.218.113
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok.. ok... me and a few of our croonies will have to get into it too..... Danny did you say you were coming with the ladder to cover up fitty cent????
cash, money, eggs gots the ghetto hood, turtl you got the wayne area, and well I'll do the freeways.... you see the cops, just remember the game plan, toss them the 20 bucks we said we'd promise!!!

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In over 20 years of working on homes in Detroit, I have NEVER been approached by someone "keen" on selling drugs, nor a prostitute. The answer to both would be no if I had but that's a different point. I've never feared for my life either. 999 out of 1000 of the people in 'The D' are honest, hard working, decent people. Many who, by the way, (just to keep in reference to the quoted paragraph) keep thier homes and property in better shape than many I've seen anywhere else, including North of 8 mile."

I don't agree with the article you posted, but I definitely don't agree with the statement above.

"999/1000 people in Detroit are honest, hardworking, decent people?"

That's complete bullshit no matter what city you are talking about.

"Many who, by the way, (just to keep in reference to the quoted paragraph) keep their homes and property in better shape than many I've seen anywhere else, including North of 8 mile."

Have you ever left Detroit?

"I have NEVER been approached by someone "keen" on selling drugs, nor a prostitute."

You must be one scary looking individual.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but your opinion of Detroit is drastically different than reality, much more so than the article which you were criticizing.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on April 16, 2006)

Dmart
Username: Dmart

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 68.84.183.222
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lay off the papers:

They are supposed to report on news, and even if it is just a couple of signs, it is news. News enough that it is being discussed at length on this site.

Mr. Greenwood, who by the way is a Commuting Columnist (part of his job just may include discussing things people would see when they commute, imagine that), first reported on this story the previous week, http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060407/OPINI ON03/604070340/1350 , when a reader of his called and told him about the I-75 sign, and that it was very visible from I-75.

Oh, yeah, Channel 7 News did live updates from the sign like every 5 minutes on Friday, now that was stupid.

In my personal opinion the sign is somewhat telling. I went to school at UDM, lived off campus and have seen some crazy shit. I've had a gun pointed at me from a car just walking to campus, I was scared shitless. I know this stuff happens in all cities, but Detroit has a rep for a reason, even if it is inflated.

Also, it's not just "people in the game" being killed or shot out there. Just this week those people got shot in convenience store, a little girl was shot. Innocent people get killed out of stupidity way to often in this city.

That being said, I have rode the bus before and have not felt threatened, and think the downtown and many other areas of Detroit are very safe.

I love Detroit.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" That's complete bullshit no matter what city you are talking about."

Okay, Have it your way, 998 out of 1000. Happy?

" Have you ever left Detroit? "

Every day I've ever been there. I don't Live in Detroit. Satisfied? Have you ever BEEN to Detroit Johnnny5??

" You must be one scary looking individual."

Must be.

Skamour14

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 35.8.218.111
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with that said... ding ding.. and the winner and still champion....Wabashrr1.... Johnny number 5 you need to be taken back, because you have a short circut!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.