Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Bounty on oral/eggs/money « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7177
Posted From: 216.203.223.87
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So in the name of 'graffitti' I thought the rule was to not destroy functioning buildings. Well I have seen their shit on new buildings, buildings being renovated and now one of the new directory things.

So here goes: I will put in $500 of my own money and ask that others add in to out hese little punks. Now harm will be done but they will be turned into the police.

Offer up your donations to turn them in at jt1_detroit@yahoo.com and I will post the current total. Whoever turns him/them in gets the money. At a minimum it is $500.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 572
Posted From: 68.42.76.157
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$500 is kinda steep right now, but I hope you catch the bastards.

Jt1

Post Number: 7178
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll happily pay. My question is what the pro-graffitti people think about them still tagging shit with their name and nothing more specifically on functioning businesses and other things.

Hopefully people will contribute and someone that knows him/them will come forward for a chunck of cash. All I want to do is turn them in and see justice as I will bet my life they do not live in the city.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, if you paid someone to go around shooting these criminals, the problem would be non-existent. Im thinking 1,000 a pop bounty. Sounds sick and evil, but really enough is enough!

Jt1

Post Number: 7179
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to turn them into the authorities, not shoot them.

Chitaku

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The authorities in this town are null and void! I guess im not talking about smaller crimes like graffitti but it seems like with all the publicity about the Detroit Police downsizing and whatnot, it seems like crime has risen. I have heard of alot of incidences in the Wayne State area lately

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2463
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm good for $25 Jt1, mainly because their defacements [they don't even ascend to the level of deserving to be called graffiti] are so ugly and boring. Their stuff really sucks. Lock'em up.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4787
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember the crusade to get the Trtl guy? hell, that guy got outed on the freaking evening news and everything, but was he ever charged? no.

http://www.nograffiti.com/graf news/12_04/police_id_graffiti_ artist.htm

report these people to the authorities all you want- there's no way they can prove shit unless they're caught in the act. can anyone guarantee that the person you put forward is responsible for every tag attributed to them? unless they confess, there's no way you can validate it. anybody can be a copycat. and i doubt you're going to get the DPD to waste their valuable resources doing round-the-clock surveillance on abandoned warehouses and vacant skyscrapers to catch punks with spraycans when they could be patrolling your neighborhoods.

nice thought. but i guarantee you're wasting your cash.

Jt1

Post Number: 7180
Posted From: 216.203.223.112
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram - I am more than happy to follow the people and get pictures of them in the act. Will they be targeted for every tag? No. Will it at least bring a/some charges? I know some people in the system that may make it a little harder for them.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 579
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

remember the crusade to get the Trtl guy? hell, that guy got outed on the freaking evening news and everything, but was he ever charged? no.

Mike Duggan led the anti-graffiti charge, and he was able to nail a few guys on it while he was prosecutor. The TURTL tagger wasn't exposed until Duggan had left the WCPO. The prosecution of graffiti vandals stopped after Kym Worthy decided that Wayne County had "bigger problems" than a guy responsible for vandalizing hundreds of buildings.

Thanks to the indifferent attitude of Ms. Worthy, vandals are free to deface property in Detroit with no risk of facing charges for it.

I really miss Mike Duggan...

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 200.65.7.48
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit really doesn't have a graffitti problem compared to other cities. In Mexico City it is everywhere, so much so I fail to see it now. I guess it stands out more in Detroit. My recommendation is to chill because it will always be around, don't let it turn you into a neurotic wreck. Saludos.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whut urrr thurr tagzz?

Pikturewerk
Username: Pikturewerk

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 71.65.10.42
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find the grafitti kind of interesting on some of the older buildings.
Hotel Madison-Lennox

Donovan Building

Packard Motors

Wurlitzer Buildnig

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1620
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is that last one interesting? Please, I would love to hear your analysis on the artistic merit. Was it because the artist had to use a step ladder to get 7 feet in the air?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 68.248.43.204
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's "kind of interesting" until the city uses their grafitti as one of the excuses to tear down historical architecture. The first two photos feature buildings that no longer exist!

Chitaku

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs more murals!

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 207.148.213.218
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is scrawling your made-up name in black paint on a historic building "interesting?" Compared to graffiti painters who create grand murals it seems rather talentless and boring. And pushing buildings closer to demolition never seemed particularly "interesting" to me. In fact, each of the photos you've chosen shows nothing more than vandalism-style scrawl - there's absolutely nothing artistic about it.

Perhaps you need to get out more and be exposed to more things in life if that garbage qualifies as "interesting" to you.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5468
Posted From: 64.228.65.200
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tagging isn't art. Writing "eggs" or "money" is dumb, and boring.

As for the grafitti "problem". Detroit doesn't have a problem compared to other cities.

While I am against destruction of private property, some of it is intersting to look at.

Here are a few from Paris last fall...

Pikturewerk

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you AIW. In fact I do get out quite a bit. I have been documenting the changes going on in Detroit for the past three years. Just because it is not of interest to you, does not mean that it isn't to anyone else. I suppose I should have just posted the photos and let you discuss that.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pikturewerk,

Seriously, you've been asked by a couple people - what do you find interesting about someone scrawling their name in black paint, with no designs, colors or geometry, especially compared with the pics AIW posted? And particularly in light of the fact that the examples you gave are scrawled on century-old brickwork, defacing something that was beautiful in itself?

Again, please explain what is interesting about that?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, I suspect those were 'invited' graffiti works. Especially as there is no spillover to other parts of the building. A number of merchants do that. Are those pics from Windsor?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy on the newbie, Hockey Player. He brought some nice images to the forum and probably doesn't know about the sensitivities this issue stirs up in here.

Welcome to the forum PiktureWerk. That said, what do you find interesting about it? Sociologically it might have some interest but aesthetically it is boring and hideous IMO.

Aiw

Post Number: 5469
Posted From: 64.228.65.200
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, those are from Paris, France.

I doubt the van was "invited". I think it was more a case of being parked in the wrong place overnight.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks too much to me like they avoided the windows, grill, lights and other details, unless the owner had to clean those since it was done. The clean separation between front and side is another argument for invitation IMO.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I am being rather easy on him, in fact.

What I'm trying to understand is what is interesting about it. It might be noteworthy in a sociological way, i.e. why in most cases kids from affluent suburbs feel a desire to deface historic structures, regardless of their condition. And even more so, how is it they are so artistically and aesthetically blind to the beauty of those structures? Many of these kids posit themselves as artists, yet seem blind to the beauty they destroy. It calls into question this notion of them as having some artistic sense or ability.

One doesn't go into the DIA and tag a Rivera mural and call the vandalism art, so how does defacing intricate brickwork with meritless scrawl then qualify as artistic expression?

I am asking these questions seriously - I cannot fathom what anyone - regardless of their stance on graffiti - finds appealing about someone scrawling their name on a brick wall. I would like to hear a rational defense of the artistic merits of scrawling one's tag somewhere. In essence, what is supposedly so interesting about it? Someone just suggested that it is indeed so, therefore I'd like to hear an explanation of that stance.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 207.67.146.66
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that anyone has any thoughts that graffiti=art is why Detroit has the crime problem it does. Lock them up! But what usually happens if they are caught is that they are released because they are poor, unemployed, and the victims of the lack of economic opportunity of this area. They are one of the reasons there is a lack of opportunity in Detroit.

A good example of what enforcement can do for a problem is the NYC subway system. Once the magnet for graffiti - you should see it now. No more unintelligible swine art. NYC Transit fully prosecuted the perps. Good result.

the river rat for civil society

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 370
Posted From: 65.196.52.227
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get some of those other ppl while you're at it, like the many incarnations of "Turdl" and "Hughes" and that idiot who insists Hamtramck/H.Park needs to look at poorly drawn bloody fangs everywhere.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 740
Posted From: 4.229.69.75
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not forget THIS sonofabitch !

Heres two brand new ones:

Text description

Text description

And heres an historic firehouse that is trying to get rehabbed that has been covered with the devils polkadots and birthday cakes - painted right on the brickwork with no regard to preservation:

Text description

And whats better, I think I know where we can find this damned vandal ~

Grab your torches, clubs and pitchforks and LETS ROLL !

Superaygun

Post Number: 371
Posted From: 65.196.52.227
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me and my aluminum baseball bat are with you, Mauser! i've been in a fightin' mood...

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 409
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone on this board made a post in the past that they were sitting in class and someone in that class made claim to being the oral/eggs person/people. My forum search skillz are lacking but I'll keep looking. Or that person could just SPEAK UP if they're still here. We're closer than we think on that one.

Also, I've seen recent Trtl stuff around Hamtramck. Apparently even public exposure isn't enough.

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 67.185.180.156
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did the good Lord say.... I AM that I AM

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no fan of graffitti and I think those who do it should have thier spray cans pointed at thier face. However, I have to admit that some of it is interesting, such as this one..

Battleship Car

It was done several years ago, 7 or 8 I think, and has faded now. The time and effort that went into it clearly shows more 'skill' (if you want to call it that) than just scribling ones name or painting a large dot.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skamour14, wasn't it Popeye the Sailor Man that said, ".... I AM that I AM"

Livedog2

Aiw

Post Number: 5470
Posted From: 64.228.209.42
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I belive it is: "I yam what I yam"

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You know, if you paid someone to go around shooting these criminals, the problem would be non-existent. Im thinking 1,000 a pop bounty. Sounds sick and evil, but really enough is enough!

you're on the right track, chitaku, but a little too extreme. how about caning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C aning_in_Singapore

Superaygun

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 68.42.181.134
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have seen graffiti that was aesthetically pleasing, but if it's that good it belongs on a canvas or some other portable, permanent, privately owned surface. it's kind of a waste of good art too to put it on a wall somewhere that could be torn down or painted over, or fade from exposure. (disclaimer: this suggestion to change mediums only applies to graffiti ARTISTS. those other dipshits are just no-talent vandals; i highly doubt anyone's going to appreciate/purchase a canvas with "oral/eggs/money/beans" sprayed on it...)

Mauser765

Post Number: 741
Posted From: 4.229.27.51
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or a canvas with a big dot on it..

Pikturewerk

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since inqiring minds want to know. I find the ingenuity of the artist interesting. How do they do that upsidedown? These types of creative expression are part of urban life just about everywhere in the world today. I do not condone this type of thing, but since I am an artist, I document these and many other things weather they are pretty or not. I photograph in a documentary style.
Yes I think there should be something done about it so it does not happen again.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1079
Posted From: 68.74.29.163
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I'm in for $100. Aram: I assume the idea would be to catch them in the act, in person or on camera, etc., making it easy for the police. I'm not expecting the police to open an investigation or set up a sting operation or anything.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in for $100, too. However, I don't need a conviction. I just want them to be publicly humilated.

Superaygun

Post Number: 381
Posted From: 68.42.181.134
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm, so what would that involve? being publicly chained to a wall and spray-painted? ideas?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 563
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way the last couple of graffitti artists were paraded in front of cameras at court would be adequate. But I have to admit, the chained to a wall and spray painted idea sounds interesting. I'd like to see them spend some quality hours of community service scrubbing a couple of choice alley ways, starting with those surrounding Capital Park.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 69.241.253.73
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw u.

Mauser765

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 4.229.69.154
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1082
Posted From: 68.73.55.190
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, I also enjoy the dots on the burned out buildings, no harm in that. What's the scoop with that firehouse, though... are those actually Tyree dots on it? It does appear to be in decent shape... is it scheduled for demo?

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.40.171.54
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently returned from a trip to LA. I used to live there in the Eighties. I was disgusted by the extent of grafitti defacement. LA looks like schitt compared to when I used to live there. Every freeway sign that was accessible had been defaced by this apparent gang grafitti. It was everywhere. Not to excuse the problem in Detroit, but, LA is much worse than here.

Mauser765

Post Number: 745
Posted From: 4.229.123.182
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, my only point in bringing Tyree into it is that people defend him when he does the same shit and thats complete BS. Yeah, Tyree painted on the brick of a firehouse that is undergoing rennovation. Thats not enjoyable. But nobody will ever call for him to be shot at, or publicly humiliated or whatever.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8329
Posted From: 67.71.59.252
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think 'ol Tyree should get a kick in the ass with some steel toe boots.

But alas, isn't art in the eye of the beholder? Though I believe that any and all graffiti artists should have their fingers broken if they deface property that isn't theirs to begin with.

But that's just me..

(Message edited by GOAT on April 17, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.