Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Hey, New York, check out the exotic "imports" - from Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5783
Posted From: 69.242.213.167
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit. Now that the media din has successfully canonized literally every import brand imaginable, no matter what the pedigree, and instilled a Detroit = Bad, Imports = Good mentality in the American car buying public, New Yorkers attending the New York Auto Show this week owe it to themselves to check out the "exotic" import offerings from the Motor City. And if they would take their import-oriented blinders off long enough, they would be shocked at the sheer number of competitive offerings from GM, Ford and the Chrysler Group.

http://www.autoextremist.com/p age2.shtml

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1030
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, the ballyhoo of an auto show. As gasoline prepares to top $3 per gallon...

Does anyone see $4 per gallon by next summer?

(Oh yes, it's likely.)

And no viable public transit for this region in sight.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 24.247.220.102
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The oil industry is the only industry in this country that can get away with this bullshit...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw $2.85 so I don't think $4 is that far away...

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 200.65.7.19
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great article.. thanks for the link

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 72.231.26.10
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Key West last weekend, and gas was $3.02/gallon down there.

While the Corvette will always remain the keystone of Detroit 'exotics', I was disappointed to hear that the Ford GT, the centerpiece of Ford's exhibit last year, has been prematurely discontinued.
Love this car.

I'll be checking out the Auto Show at the Javits Center in Manhattan this weekend. Hope to see the next generation of 'exotics' from my hometown, albeit scaled-down.

Side note:
One of my old favorites is a little-known, long-forgotten American exotic production car (not from Detroit though -- used to be made in California), the now-defunct Vector.

1991 VECTOR W8:
6-liter twin-turbo V8
625 HP
0-60 in 4.2 secs

Knight Rider?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those cars are usless to me, we camp and off road all summer, cant do that in a car

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a great article. Good to see someone standing out in the open waving they flag going......HEY....look overhere!!!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1001
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peter delorenzo, despite his tendancy to rant and use stupid sayings like "notgonnahappen.com" routinely makes very valid and striking points about the trials and successes in the auto industry....though this article as well meaning as it is just sounds like blatent cheerleading.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 13, 2006)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up. Am not a part of any TV or radio audience and the news I get is online or word of mouth or by book, so I didn't even know the Auto Show was here this week. Will look to catch it sometime after work.

Unfortunately, my preferences are for the reliable stubborn Model T type cars in the Mopar vein like the Dodge Dart or Plymouth Acclaim. Sounds like I'll be disappointed.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 69.209.164.121
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, the more Detroit drives, the companies in Houston seems to be making record-breaking earnings quarter after quarter. Bring wealth and prosperity back to Detroit - use alternative energy in cars and use rapid mass transit options.

$4/gallon ? At the rate it is going, my friends, I won't be surprised if it gets to $5 or $6 per gallon if a natural disaster or any type of terrorist scare were to occur. I can tell you all from first-hand experience, the people I know in Houston and Dallas are all wishing to see gas prices go up, up and up.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5674
Posted From: 69.209.159.29
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we should all buy as much oil company stock as possible, hoping that the dividends help offset the higher prices. We're going to look back fondly on these low $3 per gallon prices in the future...

OMG, that Dart certainly throws me back to 1972. My mother had that EXACT car, four-door triple black...and I NEVER saw another one like it. That 225 slant-six was one of the most reliable engines ever in the family.

I'll never forget the time I discovered that if you turned on the turn signal when the emergency flashers were blinking...other things ran for the duration of the 'blink'. I could get the wipers all the way across the window and back with enough patience...and the thump of the radio was not unlike a heartbeat.

Oh, the fun I had before these other electronic distractions took over my life...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.