Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Incident with DPD near Cass and Charlotte « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 69.217.229.87
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

April 9, 2006
Sunday (bright, sunny spring afternoon)
Approximately 4:45 p.m.

Location: Alley west of Cass, between Charlotte and Peterboro.

Situation: One white male, early 30s, dressed in jeans, t-shirt and baseball cap, and one white female, late 20s, dressed in jeans and t-shirt are wandering the streets of the Lower Cass Corridor looking at old, mostly vacant buildings in the immediate vicinity. They have lived in the neighborhood for a year and a half, and elsewhere in downtown Detroit. They are very familiar with the neighborhood and have made similar walks through the neighborhood.

There are others walking on Cass Avenue and along the side streets, possibly 15-20 that are visible from the point of view of the couple. The vast majority of these people are African American, both male and female. Some appear to be homeless. Some are hanging (enjoying the pleasant weather?) outside of several apartment buildings nearby.

The couple notices a vacant storefront building on west side of Cass, just south of Peterboro and is interested how the rear portion of the building relates to the front. It seems that the building in question was built over different eras and has an earlier style of construction in the back. The couple decides to look at the building from the alley side to reconcile how the two parts fit together. They cut through an open, adjacent vacant field to get access to the rear alley.

After arriving at the alley and spending less than a minute discussing the structure, a DPD police cruiser quickly pulls up, startling the couple. There are two white officers in the car; both seem to be in their mid 30s. The driver of the vehicle, rolls down the window of the car and engages the couple in a stern, angry tone. Below is the exchange, recounted by the couple:

Officer, antagonistically: “What do you two think you’re doing!?”

White Female in Alley, surprised: “We’re looking at this building.”

Officer, incredulously: “Do you know where you are!?! Do you want to get robbed?!?”

White Male in Alley, shocked by officer's tone: “We live a few blocks that way. We’re in a public alley.”

Officer's face reddens and snaps back: “Fine, don’t blame us if you get shot! Don’t call us if you’re in trouble!”

The officer, visibly seething then slams on the accelerator and speeds away. It should be noted that between each of the officer’s three statements, the officer's agitation raises exponentially. By the third statement, the officer looks beside himself, almost unhinged. From the very first statement, the officer was on the offensive and did not come across with ANY sensitivity to the situation.

After a few moments, the couple, shaken, decides to walk back to the street. As they leave the alley, the cruiser speeds through the intersection and the officer shouts out what sounds to be “Don’t call us!”

In retrospect, the couple acknowledge that officers patrolling the 13th Precinct (like most in the City of Detroit) are at times likely under a lot of stress. The couple also acknowledge that their appearance and endeavor may have been interpreted by the officers as out of place somehow.

What do you think?

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 372
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talking with people at Jumbos the old maimi and the comet I`ve met more then a few white people that live in that area ..

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha the same kind of thing happened to me. I parked by the Masonic Temple during the All Star game and relieved myself by some trees in the alley. When i came out the cop was like "hey man you better not go back there we aren't always going to be here" in a stern ass voice.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 679
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well...

i guess that it was good to see visible police coverage, and it appears that at first perhaps the officers did have safety in mind. it is still a somewhat strange thing for them, im sure, to have 30 year old white people voluntarily romaing the cass corridor... but, the fact that he stopped specifically because they (im assuming u were one of them detourdetroit??) were white is disheartening... The way they approached you was certainly incorrect...the only thing I can think of, is maybe, that the officers took your attitude as somewhat cocky (not that you were, but just because you understood the area and didn't care about the officers remarks), and that teed them off.

or maybe they just had gotten off of a call that was very stressful, or firghtening, or disturbing, etc...and overreacted...

Then again, it reminds me of an incident last year, when after a tiger game, a blue car with 2 white males pulled out of a parking space and was heading through a green light. at the same time a squad car was in the left hand lane with a blinking yellow arrow...the blue car had the right of way, and a green, and was going through the green, when the squad car cut them off, and honked. Both cars had to stop to avoid collision. at that time, the cop flipped off the guys in the blue car...After seeing this, the guys in the blue car, shake their heads, honk, and continue driving. After the honk, the police officers, turn on the siren, pull over the vehicle, make both passengers get out of the car, hands against the squad car, while the other officer SEARCHES the blue car...unbelievable!

anyway, not to get off topic, but that was a somewhat similar incident, where Detroit Police acting arrogant...all involved in this were whites too, if that made a difference or not, I do not know.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3509
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reaction of the officer sounds as if he wanted it to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, you know, as if he is so convinced of your supposed imminent danger that no one can tell him different. Reality and perception, again, seem to be mixed. How are hard-working residents supposed to have any kind of civic pride when they are being told by their own law enforcement what will surely happen to them in certain parts of the city? It's one thing to voice concern for a citizen. It is completely another to vehemently warn, just short of wishing, a citizen of danger.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 68.41.191.58
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the growing pains of repopulating downtown. A slight inconvenience but a huge improvement over the last 30 years. They assumed these were suburban folk.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 681
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so often, cops take the heat because they won't engage until something happens. i'd put my personal feelings aside, and recognize that the officers saw people who were possibly compromising their safety, and got involved. i'm sure you don't have to look too hard to find explorers whose mission started out innocently enough, then turned very, very badly. perhaps the cops were frustrated over what they perceived to be a lack of common sense.

whatever the case, i'm glad they're making their presence known upon witnessing suspicious behavior - especially after all the police layoffs. the flip side is that people will complain that cops see suspicious situations, and just keep on rolling.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same old, somethings never change.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 964
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many DPD officers who do not live in the city, do not like it, and would prefer to have nothing to do with it, except it provides them a paycheck.

I know one such person. He claims he doen't carry his gun with him unless he's going to Detroit. He lives in New Baltimore and works as DPD in the city. He is a seemingly decent person, but I have never gotten the impression he cares much about Detroit or its citizens. He does his job because it pays his bills.

You may have experienced that. You have to appreciate cops at least were concerned. I don't think this is too uncommon. Same as cops telling young kids they should stay out of the projects, regardless of the color of their skin.

Its just too bad the way it happened. He would have been much more effective to talk to you in a normal manner. Its too bad that they either don't care enough, or are for some reason unable to help make the place safe for ANYONE.

Do be vigilant. Do be smart. Hes right that they might not always be there. Unfortunately it sounds more like a threat when it came from them. An "I told you so" moment.

Of course if you're a cop, you're always dealing with the bad. Doesn't surprise me you see the city as full of nothing but bad people out to harm others.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 834
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man! and I was called a racist, for stating the rules of the 'hood' when the 'white-girl' got smoked downtown__ go figure!

super d(motordetroit)

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it just me? Or is common sense all too uncommon?" -- Mitch Albom

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 797
Posted From: 69.47.87.96
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its sounds like the cop came across pretty abrasive, but you have to understand that
that area of cass is still very shady. I walk it all the time, with my dog, or maybe on bike, but I don't think I would ever consider walking thru those alleys on foot with my girl.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3965
Posted From: 141.217.174.233
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good for The Detroit Police Officer to WARN intruders about snooping around in very dangerous areas in Detroit ghettohoods. For you get, rob, shot and killed by some weirdos, winos, muntants and po-folks. The Police won't be around to save you like "Superman" they would come later to pick up your DEAD body and take to the forensics lab to find out who you are and then give it to your loved ones or dump it in a factory to make soylent green of you!

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 214
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like new police recruits from Clinton Township.

Jfried

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good stuff danny....

eastside - this has to do with DPD in a DETROIT neighborhood - why be a prick and bash a suburb?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7171
Posted From: 198.208.251.22
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JFried - Many of DPD live in Clinton Township. I believe he was speaking more about the DPD people that do not live in the city and see their job as a paycheck as opposed to being community servants.

I know a few DPD that live in Clinton Township. Seems to be where many of them live.

I assume that was his point.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have enjoyed reading and I appreciate the different points of view and interpretation. I also understand the concept of standing in an alley in the Lower Cass Corridor as not the smartest thing in the world to do, whether it's more about perception or reality or interpretation. The thing that made us feel so bad about it was that the officer was over the top from the very first word he uttered. If we were actually doing something offensive or illegal, I could see this guy popping off a few rounds and asking questions later. Not hostage negotiation material if you ask me.

Jt1

Post Number: 7172
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. What I find annoying is that a warning may have sufficed but if they are so worried about people in the area maybe DPD needs to do more to improve the area.

I have never had any problems around there and do not see it as a huge threat. The tone and the message were out of place and should not have happended like that.

Jfried

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jt1 - clinton is the largest township (population) in the state, but I find it hard to believe there is any larger percentage of recruits from there. I'm pretty sure eastside was just stereotyping "the clueless white cop from macomb county."

anyway, like I said above, they were abrasive in their tone, but that neighborhood is rough, and I'm sure they look at out of place architecture/history buffs as one more thing they have to deal with in an already very challenging neighborhood.

I've had the same thing happen to me several times. It is a pain being hassled, but it does make me happy that they are on the streets paying attention.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've had the same thing happen to me several times. It is a pain being hassled, but it does make me happy that they are on the streets paying attention.

Jfried, I agree it is great that lower Cass Corridor is seeing a police presence. Like Jt1 says I'm not making it up that lots of cops live in Clinton Twp. From my experience I know it to be very accurate. They were probably genuinely shocked to see white folks wandering through the lower corridor. You'd be surprised how out of touch some of the police officers are with the city. Many DPD have a very narrow view of the city since all they see day in and day out is blood and mayhem.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried, all I said is it sounds they are new to patrolling that area and may be suburban recruits. I never bashed anything.

Jt1

Post Number: 7173
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Agree and disagree - I think the presence is nice but they seem to turn a blind eye to crime and warn people about it being a less than wonderful area. I have been warned before and pointed out people that were asking me if I needed anything. They just kept going. I told them which houses the dealers go to get their drugs - nothing.

DPD needs to take a more proactive approach and treating people like trash for being in a known rough area is ridiculous.

As for the cops - I would venture to say that CT has a high portion of non-resident DPD officers.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The number one goal of the majority of DPD officers is to go home at night. There are some dedicated officers in DPD but most don't get paid enough to care.

Jt1

Post Number: 7174
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - I agree it is nice they are there. I just wish they would be more pro-active in their duties as opposed to chasing people off and leaving the shady types alone.

Jfried

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have a problem with the assumption that these were suburban based officers, when we all know that a majority of the DPD staff that lives, or even grew up in the city are just as apathetic.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.