Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » What's with all the kids downtown today? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 917
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were at least 4 busses parked in front of Crosswinds & a ton of hs/college kids in front of Hockeytown & the Fox

I think one of the busses had a church or camp name on it.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2872
Posted From: 68.250.43.103
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An evangelical get-together thingie at Ford Field.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Battle Cry

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1010
Posted From: 4.229.57.196
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like some sort of Fundamentalist Christian rock reveval where the audience performs a strange type of solitary dance involving raised arms and closed eyes. Creepy.

No surprise that the lengthy list of hotel info includes mention of just one that's actually in the city. Bus em in for lunch at Hockeytown, several hours of inspirational testimony on the football field, then back on the freeway to the airport hotel. Nothing to see here, move along.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1075
Posted From: 68.74.29.163
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, I am totally going to Acquire the Fire.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 70.174.38.160
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Christian evangelical faddish thingy thinking they are going to impact the world with their oh-we're-hip-now music and artificially-induced enthusiam for God. They are so damn concious of themselves looking "cool" for Jesus. Been there, done that.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1017
Posted From: 4.229.57.196
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus was way cool. These minions, however, are served a heaping plate of only the most superficial version of contemporary youth culture cool bathed in a whole lotta brainwash. And you know that underneath the facade of clean evangelical righteousness simmers the real desperate desires that human hormones typically whisk to the surface at the teenage boiling point, and it's only a matter of time before the silly repression their pastors drill into their brains will get swiftly shoved aside and a good number of those poor kids will dive hog wild headfirst into self-destructive escapism.

Oh well, at least they're just in town digging some feelgood sideshow scriptural boogie-woogie and not roaming the streets knocking on doors prosteletyzing to me and my neighbors all weekend.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a van full of them waved at me....:-(

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 64.1.79.49
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well put Gdub, I may not totally agree, but well put.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 544
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as they spend money in the city, why make fun of their choices, even if you don't agree.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 69.246.30.248
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work downtown, and all of the restaurants were completely packed with those kids. [And later with... secular punks from a local concert.]

I'm an athiest, and I tend to not get along with fundamentalist Christians, but they, regardless of where they stayed, flooded downtown with business. Also, both the Christian kids, and the non-Christian punks were extremely polite. Moreso than my normal clientele.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2873
Posted From: 68.250.43.103
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to embrace diversity, everybody!

Gdub, do you really have such a deterministic view of humanity, or are you just posing?

Babycombo
Username: Babycombo

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.43.45.252
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw those kids yesterday when I tried to convince the ticket agent at Comerica to release some opening day tickets. The "God Squad" usually is pretty creppy, but I guess those kids could be doing worse things.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of where they stayed at hotels in Wayne, Oakland or Macomb County, Detroit still got it's share of the 13% hotel tax.

"Battle Cry" attracted 35,000 young people to downtown Detroit for the better part of a weekend to listen to speakers and musicians who delivered three main messages:

(a) abstain from pre-maritial sex
(b) don't use alcohol or drugs
(c) don't let the things you see and hear in today's popular culture tempt you to change your mind about what you believe to be right and wrong.

The nay-sayers, snark-meisters and religious intolerants can take solace in the fact that Ford Field was not filled to it's 65,000 seat capacity.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 456
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever here of live and let live. or Mind your own business, it's not about you.

Be Happy!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 68.60.133.115
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend attended this for the weekend. She said they were all staying in certain hotels like the RenCen and the Hilton. She had a nice few from the 49th floor of the RenCen. LUCKY!!!!!

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 674
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hotel list provided on the website was only Marriott owned hotels, which is why the RenCen was only listed... I dont know why the downtown Courtyard was left off, unless I missed it..Marriott must have been a sponsor involved. However, I am sure not everyone chose to go with the sponsored hotels, which is why the downtown Hilton Garden Inn may have been full (according to Rbdetsport)... I am sure the downtown hotels got a little extra boost from this event, as did the downtown resuarants and shops. Just another large event added to Detroit.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After hearing of the great view, all of the people to meet, and all of the fun, I think I will be attending next year. Hopefully this is an annual event for Detroit.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 70.174.38.160
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, keep them away from Virginia Beach VA. I have enough grief in dealing with the Pat Robertson/CBN floosies here.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 665
Posted From: 69.209.169.47
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was weird at the Battle Cry concert, when a lot of those girls took off their tops.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to with a couple groups of these teenagers at Laf. Coney Island and CM yesterday as me and my family were wondering what event was going on. They were some of the most polite and pleasant teenages I ever met and they were very complimentary of the city. And no they didn't want to talk to me about God other than mentioning their reason for being here.

I don't understand some of you people. Many of you complain about suburbanites not coming downtown, but when a very suburban looking group, regardless of what region of the country they come from does come downtown you still have to find some reason to criticize them.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.74.30.209
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wanted to get a thousand tshirts printed with "I LOVE JESUS" on them and walk down to Ford Field and sell them to the suburban Jesus fans who will happy pay $20 for a trendy Jesus shirt.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2247
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friendly people downtown regardless of whay they're there should be embraced. Do I necessarily embrace the message they're preaching? No, but it doesn't matter as long as they don't try to force me to embrace their idealogy.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, you all have alot of problems. You all just like to bitch about everything, whether it is good or not. That is what gets to me about all of you. These kids got to see Detroit in the spring with alot of activity. They got to see the real Detroit not the stereotypes that people put on the city. THIS WEEKEND HELPED DETROIT! HOTELS GOT FILLED! AND PEOPLE CHANGED THEIR VIEWS ON THE CITY!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.