Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Kid 911 call leads to Mother's death « Previous Next »
Detroit 911 operator lets boy's mother dieCatman_dude04-07-06  2:15 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2715
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank; Mother Dies
Detroit Police Investigate

POSTED: 9:34 am EDT April 7, 2006

DETROIT -- A 6-year-old boy's 911 call for help was thought to be a prank, but the call was real and the boy's mother died, Local 4 reported.

Robert Turner (pictured) called 911 to get help for his mother, Sherel Turner, 46, whom he found lying unconscious on the kitchen floor of their Detroit apartment in February, the station reported.

"Then I had felt her tummy. She wasn't breathing. Then I had called 911," said Robert. "I told them to send an emergency truck right now."

911 Operator: "911. What's the problem?"

Robert: "My mom has passed out."

The 911 operator, however, did not take him seriously and told him to stop playing on the phone, the station reported.

911 Operator: "Where's the grownups at?"

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "Let me speak to her before I send the police over there."

"I tried to tell them she wouldn't talk," said Robert to Local 4.

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "I don't care. You shouldn't be playing on the phone. Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you gonna be in trouble."

Robert: "Ugh!" (Hangs up.)

Kimberly Harris, the union president of AFSCME Local 1023, said more than a quarter of phone calls received by 911 operators are prank calls. She also said that everybody does not express their pain or emergencies the same way.

"That operator could have had five prank calls. Kids calling in prior to that call. And please, don't think that I am trying to make an excuse. That was a tragedy," said Harris.

Officials said the 911 operator will be disciplined, but because of her years of service she will not be fired.

"I know that operator. I know that she is a very good operator," said Harris. "She is very thorough.

Robert said every time someone talks about his mother, he starts crying.

Police continue to investigate.

Copyright 2006 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/8529161/detail.html?treet s=det&tid=2654296162813&tml=de t_12pm&tmi=det_12pm_1_10500304 072006&ts=H

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a God-Damn shame!

I saw and hear it on MSNBC a while ago!

Livedog2

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 354
Posted From: 68.42.181.134
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now THAT bitch should have been fired. i don't care how many prank calls she may have had before that. and she knew she was dealing with a child; perhaps if she had taken the authoritative stance she should have and asked the child a couple more key questions ("Is your mom breathing?" etc.) she would have known that it wasn't a joke. whatever calls she may have received before that gives her no excuse to be dismissive to the next when someone's life is possibly at stake.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

911 is the most over-rated system since the government invented the CIA. The technology is helpful, but in all too many areas they staff the call centers with MacDonald's rejects.

Thirty years ago you called WOodward 2-5700 to get the police, and your call was nearly instantly answered. You called WOodward 2-0400 to call the Fire Department, and you did get an instant answer.

Progress is not necessarily the world's most important product.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In our community as in most I know, immediately send a squad car, even on hang ups, every call is responded to even if the caller says that all is "OK" no exceptions. Once you dial 911, even a prank, esp. a prank, when you get a physical response to a prank, it is usually the end to it.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 68.255.77.77
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"That operator could have had five prank calls. Kids calling in prior to that call. And please, don't think that I am trying to make an excuse. That was a tragedy," said Harris.

Newsflash! That is an excuse. I don't care how long that person has worked the switchboard, her ass should be fired.

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is completely unacceptable and inexcusable. I don't care how much demand there is for your resources. I don't care what kind of calls she handled before this. I don't care how many years she has on the job. This cannot be tolerated.

I am a 911 operator and I know that Detroit does not have the same high expectations for their calltakers as my department does. I know that the calls I transfer to them and monitor do not get the level of service that they should.

The citizens of Detroit deserve better than this.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 69.245.93.12
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, all Detroiters should certainly be calling for this operator's immediate removal! Prosecution for neglegence should be close on the tail of that. "She is very thorough"? You better hope she's more thorough with your wife and kid!!!!!!!!

I agree, all calls should be followed with a physical response or then there is truely no purpose for the 911 system to be in existance. The cost of following up on pranks is just the cost of doing business!

Ventura67

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did it happen in February and the general public has just now been informed? How many other potentialy serious or fatal calls go ignored?

Maybe we should teach our kids not just to call 911 in an emegency but to do it until they finally follow through on their threats to send the police to cover the "prank"!!!

Superaygun

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i usually call 911 then call someone else. two of the three times i have had to do this the person i called beat the "emergency" vehicles there (this was in Southfield, not even Detroit). if i have children i will always make sure they have a close-by family member or friend to call after they call 911, especially after hearing about things like this.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1100
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the (probable) event of litigation, I can assure you that contending that "25% of the calls to 911 are pranks" is an argument that the jury will quickly reject.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 64.228.108.25
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't emergency staff send a bill to whatever address which made a frivolous / prank 911 call? There a building across the street from my parents where fire trucks are called almost every day. The city sends 'em, and follows it up with a bill. I'm not sure how much it is, but I've talked to a super intendant in another building about this and he said the fine is indeed levied. We sometimes have thugs-in-training from a near-by school run through the building I work in, and pull a fire alarm. I thought this policy would enable emergency staff to respond to every call, even if they're pretty sure it's not a legitimate emergency.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3568
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock immediately gives us the legal. jjaba saw the story on MSNBC and nationally, it relflects badly. Thanks Rock. No jury would buy into that AFSCME horseshit.

Ray1936, where the hell's the corner fire call boxes when you need them? Now, we are talking service. They didn't ask for directions and came with firemen trained to save lives. jjaba was realy impressed when they'd roll a pumper engine, a hook and ladder company, and a captain's truck over for a heart attack call. Now, those were the days of the corner call boxes. When they arrived at the box, ten kids would show them which house it was and run down the street with the trucks.

We would watch with awe the professionalism. The cops would keep us at a safe distance. Sometimes, even a reporter would show up, some young buck with a notepad and pencil, nosing around.

jjaba, Westside memories.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 69.246.30.248
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those 911 calls are horrifying. How can either of those operators live with themselves, let alone expect to keep their jobs?

I'm reminded of the time I was in immediate danger and had to call 911 in Detroit... I was hung up on because I couldn't rattle off the cross street quickly enough.

Does anyone know where I can make a formal complaint? This is awful.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen, I've made 911 calls from my car in rural areas such as Wyoming and New Mexico where you wouldn’t even think there was a 911 Operator. I’ve always received a response and the appropriate action everywhere but in Detroit. You figure it out because I already have!

detroit

Livedog2

Superaygun

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikto, you're right. I used to research property taxes and I remember a couple of municipalities even including false alarm fees as a special assessment billed within the taxes.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I deal with the 911 industry on a regular basis due to my job. I'm haven't listened to these calls or read the article. I already know what happened. I'm not trying to defend the dispatchers but about 80% of the calls 911 operator receive across the nation are false alarms. Also, the salary the operators receive is below average and they have to deal with a ton of stress. On top of that, the public expects them to perform miracles over the phone. In some cases, they can perform miracles but not always. Training is another issue. In some states, there is no mandate that 911 operators receive any formal training. Now, would you want to have this job? Who gets paid more, the chief of police, the dispatcher that receives the call or the police officer that comes to your house and risks his/her life? In my opinion the police officer should have the highest pay, the dispatcher the second highest the police chief should have the lowest pay.

Swillson
Username: Swillson

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 192.203.222.62
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe there should be some sort of education campaign on when it is appropriate to call 911. I'm not excusing the disbatcher's actions, but it certainly would be helpful if they weren't constantly receiving prank calls. I have friends who have told me "I called 911 because I didn't know the police department's phone number" on some totally stupid, definately non-emergency issue. Get a damn phone book!!! They'll get an earful from me.
While the dispatcher's actions were inappropriate, perhaps people pranking 911 should consider that they just helped a little boy loose his mother.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3576
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swillson, people have abandoned the phone book.

One of jjaba's friends recently called our neighborhood assn. since jjaba was google listed as having been n the minutes of a meeting. The neighborhood pres. gave them my number from a sign-in sheet. jjaba is in the fucking phonebook for crissakes!

jjaba, doesn't suffer fools.

Ventura67

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., calling 911 to ask a general law question is one thing, even an overly-obvious prank call like "is Anita Dick there?" is just as bad. But a 6 year-old child claiming his mother is on the floor, unresponsive- that's not a joke in ANYBODY'S eyes. (Except the 911 operator in question.)

Send the cops, send the ambulance- NOW!!! If it's a prank, deal with it later!!!

Pure negligence. Fire the operator!

I can't imagine the trauma that boy will face the rest of his life!

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 68.42.175.57
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a certified Advanced Public Safety Dispatcher, the first thing that I was trained was "Send 'em, 'cause it's a lot better to play it safe." besides, what is it going to hurt to send an officer? At least they could make a community contact. Get them out of their car and doing a face to face with a citizen. Anytime I EVER got a child caller, I ALWAYS treated it appropriately and like an emergency. No reason to threaten a child on the phone. EVER. Dispatchers work by phone, they can't see what's going on.

Shame on that call-taker. Though she doesn't necessarily need to lose her job. I don't know what her personnel record is like, but if this was her first mistake, albeit a grave one, she does deserve a second chance (and appropriate training to prevent future instances). Emergency Services is a highly stressful job where you have to make split-second decisions. She, obviously, made the wrong decision here. I don't care what her day was like before this, those are the lumps in this industry, but if this was her first hiccup on her record, she may deserve a second chance.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm reminded of the time I was in immediate danger and had to call 911 in Detroit... I was hung up on because I couldn't rattle off the cross street quickly enough."

The really sad part of that is, if you were calling from a land line, they knew exactly where you were. Even with some cell phones (nowadays). I've called from a cell, driving in my car, to report an accident, and without fail I'm always directly connected to the police department of the city I am calling From. Never did it from Detroit however so I can't say I'd get the same service. When I lived off campus (alexandrine street) I heard someone in the apartment building next door hollaring for help. I called 911 and they Knew where I was calling from, I didn't have to tell them. This was long before Caller ID was available to the general public. I don't know what kind of danger you were in but apparently you survived it. Hopefully unscathed.

I didn't get from the article (didn't listen to the call or see it on the tele) if the kid knew whether or not mom was breathing. Though it in no way excuses the actions of the operator, it's entirely possible that the mother was already gone when he called. At the very minimum, the police Should have been sent.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2719
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hit me
Going going gone
Now I dialed 911 a long time ago
Don't you see how late they're reactin'
They only come and they come when they wanna
So get the morgue embalm the goner
They don't care 'cause they stay paid anyway
They teach ya like an ace they can't be betrayed
I know you stumble with no use people
If your life is on the line they you're dead today
Late comings with the late comin' stretcher
That's a body bag in disguise y'all betcha
I call 'em body snatchers quick they come to fetch ya?
With an autopsy ambulance just to dissect ya
They are the kings 'cause they swing amputation
Lose your arms, your legs to them it's compilation
I can prove it to you watch the rotation
It all adds up to a funky situation
So get up get, get get down
911 is a joke in yo town
Get up, get, get, get down
Late 911 wears the late crown

911 is a joke

Everyday they don't never come correct
You can ask my man right here with the broken neck
He's a witness to the job never bein' done
He would've been in full in 8 9-11
Was a joke 'cause they always jokin'
They the token to your life when it's croakin'
They need to be in a pawn shop on a
911 is a joke we don't want 'em
I call a cab 'cause a cab will come quicker
The doctors huddle up and call a flea flicker
The reason that I say that 'cause they
Flick you off like fleas
They be laughin' at ya while you're crawlin' on your knees
And to the strength so go the length
Thinkin' you are first when you really are tenth
You better wake up and smell the real flavor
Cause 911 is a fake life saver

So get up, get, get get down
911 is a joke in yo town
Get up, get, get, get down
Late 911 wears the late crown

Ow, ow 911 is a joke

Dfdems
Username: Dfdems

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 212.187.155.156
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

911 would work a little better if over half of the calls were not BS for simple stuff like I have a runny nose or I threw up once. People call 911 for scrapes and then follow the ambulance (no light, sirens, etc) to the hospital in their car. Why did you even call, hop your ass in the car and take the person you called for. People call because it is cheaper than a taxi because they don’t have to pay for it. The city doesn’t bill them and if they did half of them would pay. If you want it fixed you need to start at the top.

Detroit EMS

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Feiger time!

Superaygun

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

definitely sounds like a case of
WHEN KEEPIN' IT REAL GOES WRONG:
"Fuck that! I don't like people playin' on my phone!"

(sorry, i couldn't help myself)

(Message edited by superaygun on April 09, 2006)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 441
Posted From: 172.130.122.157
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is Fieger time already. As for the big recovery for this devasted family, I guess I'm kind of cold-hearted on this one but I think that the concepts of governmental immunity should apply here. This defense can be a harsh one but it is derived from sound principles. Citizens aren't entitled to redress for every mistake made by an employee of the government. The government isn't an insurer of our safe existence. The gross negligence exception to governmental immunity doesn't apply to these facts either. It is literally impossible to send rescue, fire or police to answer every call. In Detroit at least, there are too many calls. Judgment has to be exercised and in the circumstances of this tragic case, the mistakes made do not sink to the gross negligence level. I'm sure that some of the forum lawyers disagree with me though.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 569
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfdems, is the calltag "When seconds count, we are minutes away" supposed to be ironic?

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to disagree with a properly informed public it is possible to respond to every call, when 911 is dialed, as it is in most parts of the country. Sure there are pranks, and the pranksters are caught and told the deal, emergency only or else.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 69.220.60.51
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunalty we do not have a properly informed public, and 40% of all calls to 911 are not emergencys (as reported by the local news).

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 68.42.175.57
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, see, here in Detroit, in order to get an officer sent to your house, you have to call 911. Per an officer at my district station (Western), "In order to pull a car, you need to call 911". So, people in Detroit are used to calling 911 all the time.

Ventura67

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "the mistakes made do not sink to the gross negligence level."

Ignoring, even belittling a five-year-old's plea to help save his downed mother is not gross negligence? You're kidding, right?

What on earth would be gross negligence, then? It seems like this could be the very definition!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.