Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Council Hears Bulk Trash Complaints « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060406/NEW S01/604060640/1003

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 636
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is bad enough that the city is sinking in debt. Now it will be stinking with trash.
Between the abandoned buildings and trash, it's not a pretty picture.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3064
Posted From: 68.252.9.218
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still prefer living in the City I love.
My neighbors and I clean our alley and yards ourselves.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3922
Posted From: 141.217.174.230
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of TRASH! I just recently saw a BIG ol' tire dump on the left hand side of the vacant lot of Schoeder St. just North of W. Jefferson at STINK-RAY also know as Del-Ray. Who's going to clean it up. NO ONE!!! NO BODY!!!!

King Kwame said that it's up to citizens of Detroit to clean their MESS. What kind of money do these Detroiters have when this city garage sevices is being cut? Most middle to low-income folks don't have that type to money to a waste company to pick up their TRASH! So they have to SUFFER while the TRASH build-up is going to turn their Detroit ghettohoods into a world's largert landfill site.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is easier said than done. I clean my yard, alley and other people's. There is not a strip of paper blowing around on my street - because I pick it all up.

However, mattresses and old toilets have piled up on an empty lot around the corner. They have been there for months.They are sodden and I could never lift them. I don't have a truck. I have friends with a truck but they don't live in Detroit, so they aren't allowed to (if they would agree to) pick that stuff up and take it to one of the dumping stations. I would have to take a day off from work to accompany them and prove my residency.

As to the "dumps" - they aren't as you imagine. The one near me is a set of several huge trailers. They are at least 7 feet tall. I can't put heavy stuff up that high. Further, the guy from DPW who manages the site tells me that he has this job because he is disabled and so he cannot help the Detroit residents who try to use the dumping station.

I just don't know what to do. How is this stuff that appears in the middle of the night going to go away?

As to the blight court: here is a direct quote from the (now gone) DPD Director about a property with rusting cars in the front yard that I reported last summer:

"August 23, 2005

Re: 1051 Campbell (AKA 5821 Amherst):

A correction order was issued to make required exterior repairs, paint trim and remove unlicensed vehicles for which THE OWNER FAILED TO COMPLY WITH TWO BLIGHT VIOLATION TICKETS (emphasis mine) which have now been issued to the owner"

To this date, April 2006, nothing has changed on that property. It appears that Blight Court has had absolutely no effect.

Does anyone have any proof of the work of the Blight Court?

I'm with the guy from Blight Busters - the city's official position that the problems will be solved with ordinance tickets and Blight court is a lot of baloney

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 540
Posted From: 147.240.16.60
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Refund my garbage property tax mills. 3.996 (I think) and let me choose a private contractor to do it all, and then lay off ALL city garbage collectors and assiociated personel.

My home in K-zoo when I lived there was about $40.00 a quarter for garbage collection and the city did bulk once a month (I think) and I could call my Waste Management collector (Republic Waste) and they would also pick up bulk items and just add it to my bill.

I think that given my home value in Detroit as a % of my taxes and I'm paying hundreds more then private industry charges for the same service, minus the bulk collection.

Privatize Everything!!

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet you that most of that bulk trash is coming from Kwame himself.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2492
Posted From: 129.105.138.131
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I don't understand is why are people throwing out so many mattresses? Aren't bed mattreses supposed to last YEARS (even a decade??)????

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 690
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I promise you, they have.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, crap, go to Art Van and buy a reliable mattress that will last at least 20 years.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2464
Posted From: 68.248.3.110
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, good (usually very expense) mattresses can last up to 10 years. Cheap ones last 3 years or less. Also note that people that some/many lower income people resort to buying used mattresses.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh, all I know is that we brought a mattress (somewhere in the hundreds but not grossly expensive like a complete bedroom set) almost ten years ago, and it is still in good shape. It will be good for another ten years.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2218
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my street we clean it and keep it nice. Everyone needs to pitch in and do the same...I would rather have cops and fire dept than bulk trash. Get off your lazy arse and clean up after yourselves and help those less fortunate!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1019
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actuallt take my bulk to the collection site in Southwest Detroit. I just fill up the van and take it to the dumpster. Takes me all of 10 minutes to load the van drive to the site and throw it in the dumpster.

Detroiters need to learn how to adjust to adverse situations. We have just grown accustomed to have all of our services brought to us. I agree with others who think we should be more active when it comes to these adversities.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mayor is working on privitizing waste.
the incinerator could be a road block.
companies like waste management or great lakes waste can save us money by not using the incinerator which costs at least 1/3 more trip than a land fill does. the millage is a rip, i agree, the incinerator didn't live up to it's potential because we opened many new landfills after it was built.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1875
Posted From: 66.2.148.128
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

coleman's joke: killer smoke!
Where I live, there are no piles,
but there are people all over southwest detroit who seem to think that if you just pile stuff out by the curb, it will magically go away. Just wait till July, it's not going to be pretty.
Then there are the dumpers. I drove down a street near 7 and John R the other day, I saw an entire block where the houses were gone, and piles of construction rubble were everywhere.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind being responsible for my own trash and bulk, but I have a real problem with cleaning up trash left by dumpers and then being held responsible for it. It's enough that I have to pick up all the other trash and flyers and appear every day in my yard and at the curb and fence....i probably used the bulk pick up a couple times a year...why can they go to quarterly with it? this city looks like shit already and it's only been 3 months...(southwest detroiter here, so I'm seeing the same things the other SW Siders above are seeing)....will it ever end?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1298
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.) Get rid of the city workers
2.) Hire a private firm
3.) Save ~20+/- million
4.) Add bulk pickup

Michigansheik

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its not the workers its their contract and also the cost of using the incinerator
the new contractor will likely offer bulk pickups a la carte and that will probably be billed per use, like in other municipalities.

(Message edited by michigansheik on April 07, 2006)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2466
Posted From: 70.237.10.56
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brokenmain, what about the 1/3 of Detroiters that DO NOT have access to a vehicle, much less a van or truck? What about Detroiters working 2 or 3 jobs that simply don't have time to make it to a dump during business hours? Why should Detroiters have to "adjust" to not having a basic service that residents of virtually every other community in this area receive without any additional fees?

...Perhaps certain DPS students should "adjust" to the "adverse situation" of not being able to take their books home.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1545
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why should Detroiters have to "adjust" to not having a basic service that residents of virtually every other community in this area receive without any additional fees?

Because it is not a basic service, and not virtually every other community has the service. I'm sure many that do are looking seriously at getting rid of it soon. How many growing communities have the service? Its lack hasn't hurt the communities.

Police, Fire, Education, Parks, Streets, Lights, even normal trash pick.... Those are basic services. Hauling junk is not.

It seems to me there is an opening for entrepreneurial scrappers to upgrade their jobs.
Charge people to take away their stuff and then take out what ever has value and take the rest to the dump.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Jsmyers, it is a basic service that virtually every other community in this region provides for its citizens. This topic has been previously covered in another thread, complete with a list of those communities.

Furthermore, please back up your claim that "many that do are looking seriously at getting rid of it soon". Based on your erroneous first claim as well as lack of support for this claim, it doesn't hold any merit either.

"Hauling junk" in a community such as Detroit with its high eviction rates, illegal dumping, low income citizens that cannot afford private removal, low income citizens that do not have transportation to dumps, etc. makes it all the more a vital service.

Perhaps you should pay someone to "haul away" your "junk" comparison of Detroit to other ficticious communities that "do not have bulk service".

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1021
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy, I definitely see your point. I also see that it is difficult for the seniors to get their bulk out as well. I guess I should only speak for myself.

Looking at it as a whole, I would have to say at least afford us the bulk pickup in the spring and summer months. Also looking deeper into this trash problem, I didn't even take into account the fact that we are creating havens for rodent infestation. Now that is going to the biggest problem.

Metrodetguy...I stand corrected

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1968
Posted From: 4.229.90.15
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are Broken_main.... havens for rodent infestation.... the next pandemic!

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appoligize for missing this thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/11557/63461.html

Of the cities you listed, many are really wealthy, and many are entering serious budget crisis. Very few of them are growing much. Apparently bulk pickup isn't a core service required by many home shoppers.

A few more:

No bulk pickup:

Ann Arbor (http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/ PublicServices/FieldOperations /SolidWaste/bulk.html)
Novi (http://ci.novi.mi.us/Services/ ServicesHome.htm)

Limited bulk pickup:
Troy(http://www.ci.troy.mi.us/Publi cWorks/Refuse/Refuse.asp)
Sterling Heights (http://www.ci.sterling-heights .mi.us/bins/site/templates/spl ash.asp?menu_imagesetid=2&area _2=pages/comm/rescomm/refuseco llectioninfo/refusecollectionr ulesregulations_788.dat&area_1 =pages/nav/comm/rescomm/rescom m.dat&area_3=0.dat&area_0=0.da t&area_8=0.dat&objectid=BE5712 20&ml_index=7&NC=4169X)

Reason many that have bulk pickup will eliminate it: Budget cuts, the same reason Detroit did. Virtually every city in the state has serious budget probelms.

I think there may be room for some limited bulk, but Detroiters had it too good for too long.

I'd like to see the blight court have the power to garish wages to pay for tickets.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmyers, you might want to go back and re-read those links as well as the previous thread.

1. There is nothing "limited" about Troy's bulk pickup. The items that they do not pick up are standard procedure in terms of bulk pick (in any community).

2. Sterling Heights' page doesn't mention anything about "limited bulk pickup" either.

3. Where on Novi's page does it say that they don't have bulk pickup?

Your theory that other communities will eliminate bulk pickup is pure speculation. Also note that "many" of the communities in the list are MIDDLE CLASS.

Once again, how is Detroit having the same service as every other community, "having it too good"? Ah, the power of low expectations. The story of this city and a major part of the problem.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 407
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy:Pickup service for the above items (excluding hazardous chemicals) is available through the contractor upon request on a fee basis. Call 248.585.9120 for details.

Detroit did not have the service as most cites don't haveregular bulk pick up. Troy is like most cities you to arrange for bulk collection. They do the same here in East Lansing

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, please read carefully!

The "above items" (Branches over 2 inches in diameter, Concrete, Debris originating from building, demolishing, altering or repairing of structures, including, but not limited to, shingles, siding, paneling, plasterboard, ceiling tile, fencing, railroad ties, wooden decks, scrap lumber, garage doors, furnaces and boilers, oil tanks and drums, Dirt, Yard Waste in plastic bags, Hazardous chemicals, Hot ashes, Large motor vehicle parts, Liquid of any kind, Masonry, Motor vehicle batteries or tires, Paint cans (unless empty with lids removed or contents air-hardened or mixed with kitty litter or sand), Shrubs, Sod, Stone, Tree stumps, Wood, including but not limited to, tree stumps, branches, shrubs, over 2 inches in diameter) ARE NOT STANDARD BULK ITEMS!!!

READ:

LARGE HOUSEHOLD ITEM PICKUP
Two pieces of furniture or household appliances will be picked up each week if placed at the curb. Excessive amounts due to moving, flooding or fire will be on a special call-in basis and a charge will be made for this service.

The following items require special handling:

* Carpeting must be folded or rolled and tied (or duct taped), not to exceed 3 feet in width and 60 pounds in weight.
* Lawn mowers, gym sets, swing sets, portable swimming pools, etc., must be disassembled.
* Metal poles and pipe must be cut to 3 feet or less.
* Refrigerators and freezers -- doors must be removed.

If items cannot be put in the regular collection truck, the contractor will pick them up within 48 hours (two working days). Any items weighing in excess of 250 pounds will not be collected.

Once again, most Metro Detroit communities have regular bulk pickup.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 204
Posted From: 68.255.77.77
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this like comparing apples and oranges?

For example: Detroit's trash is handled by the Detroit DPW, while Troy's trash is handled by Tringali Sanitation and Sterling Heights uses Waste Management. When you're looking at the communities who contact their garbage pick-up out, isn't it up to the various companies what they will do (and perhaps how much folks are willing to pay)?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2472
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really Shark. Most communities that contract out ARE NOT charging their residents additional fees for the bulk service. It is part of their weekly trash pick and part of their taxes.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 68.255.77.77
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha!

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1548
Posted From: 70.236.175.171
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

3. Where on Novi's page does it say that they don't have bulk pickup?

Exactly. I don't beleive they even have regular trash pickup.

Troy and Sterling Height's bulk is a lot different than Detroit's "whatever will fit near the curb, we'll bring a crain" bulk pickup.

quote:

Also note that "many" of the communities in the list are MIDDLE CLASS.

Like Royal Oak? That for its size might be in worse financial shape than Detroit.
\quote(Once again, how is Detroit having the same service as every other community, "having it too good"? Ah, the power of low expectations. The story of this city and a major part of the problem.}
I agree with you about the power of low expectations, but bulk pickup in Detroit would pickup basically anything. Look at that list you posted from Troy, and tell me how many of those rules were regularly followed in Detroit.

My point is not that Detroit shouldn't have bulk pickup. It is not that nobody else has bulk pickup. My point is that bulk pickup (especially virtually unlimited bulk pickup) is not an essential city service.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gee, to me the point seems to be that all these suburban communities being spoken of, do NOT have the illegal dumping problems that Detroit has due to asshat people doing it and the city not doing much about it, for whatever reason....if we didn't have the major dumping problems here in Detroit that we have, we MIGHT be able to get away with a limited bulk pick up like the other suburbs....

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 69.14.28.209
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the major slogan of your administration is KIDS, COPS, CLEAN a little outrage at the loss of recreation centers, cops and BULK TRASH PICKUP should be expected. The mayor and council seem have little grasp of the symbolism of their actions. This issue and the ado associated with it should suprise not a soul.

Detroiters are going to shocked and outraged at the reality of receivership. The mayor and council have done little to prevent it and nothing to prepare citizens for life under receivership. BULK TRASH PICKUP, RECREATION, NEIGHBORHOOD CITY HALLS, FIREWORKS, LIBRARIES, THE MULTI MILLION DOLLAR WRIGHT MUSEUM SUBSIDY(a topic that none seem willing to discuss), PARADES, could all be gone. Sorry for the doom and gloom. If the mayor had done more to prepare people for the loss of bulk trash pickup this would be less of an issue today. A true leader would be out in the neighborhoods letting people know it's going to get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

Hard times are coming. This is just the tip of the trash pile.

(Message edited by detrola on April 08, 2006)

Michigansheik

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the wright museum should be on its own no more subsidy, just like the DIA, DHM, DGLM.
will that happen?

Gistok

Post Number: 1971
Posted From: 4.229.6.186
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the dumping in Detroit is in high gear.... even in some of the nicer neighborhoods are showing dumping. On the far east side as I was driving down Chandler Park Drive, I noticed as I was driving thru Balduck Park, there was a huge pile of lawn bags, tree limbs, trash and furniture that are symmetrically piled up in the park on both sides of Chandler Park Drive. It was almost as though this was a gateway of trash welcoming you to the park.

Also on Morang & I-94 service drive not far from the park, there was a mattress and other furniture sighting along the roadway.

Looks like this is going to be a rat infested summer in Detroit.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cute...and charming

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is a shame that for all the money Detroiters pay in property and income (city) taxes, they can't get better services. One large can, each home, for refuse and that's it. If it doesn't fit in the can, it doesn't get picked up. It's been a few months since I looked at my tax bill but it seems that $70 or $80 of what I pay per year goes for the curb side pick up. Maybe a little more but not much. That covers as many cans as I care to set out (with a 50 pound each weight limit), a single recycle bin (plastic bottles from detergents etc), and yard waste (bagged, bundled, or canned). 3 seperate trucks come by on trash day, one for each type. No parking is allowed on the streets during pickup day (I know this would be impossible for some detroit neighborhoods with no driveways). For anything large (appliances, furnature, matresses, building materials, etc) they send another truck around. Hazardous materials can be taken to a drop off center nearby. The largest restriction they have is anything that has freon (refrigerators, freezers, AC units, etc) in it must be emptied and tagged as such. I think it would amaze people if the tax revenue collected for such services in Detroit were properly used and how fast the city would be cleaned up (of rubbish that is).

I've done a lot of work on homes in Detroit and I cannot count the number of times I saw somebody pull up to an empty house or lot, dump a bunch of crap, and then leave.. This was while the bulk pick up was still available. I guess it wasn't happening fast enough for these people. I can't blame people for being angry as a disturbed hornet's nest over this one. The one thing I don't really understand is the mattresses. Most places that sell them will remove the old mattress upon delivery, or at least they use to. No such option to Detroiters?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 965
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they have the means to drive their crap and dump it in front of somebody else's house, why can't they drive it to the bulk pick-up site instead?

God this city is F'd up. When did it ever become acceptable to dump your McDonald's bag, much less your mattresses, toilets, couches, and other bulk crap?

Littering has honestly got to be one of the easiest things in the world. How hard is it to throw your stuff in a garbage can?

And with all the junk out there, how many hazardous chemicals are just sitting around, improperly disposed, and leaking into the ground? Take a drive around the Packard facility sometime. You know there's just an unbelievable amount of hazardous material there.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Detroit News:

Council touts revival of bulk trash pickup

The Detroit City Council approved a resolution demanding that Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick reinstate bulk trash pickup. The mayor suspended the service earlier this year, saying that the city could not afford the $20 million it costs to run bulk curbside trash collection. Councilwoman JoAnn Watson says the service is essential. "I don't think we should treat bulk trash as a luxury. It is a necessity in a major city," Watson said.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3937
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the city " CLOWNSIL" approved a bulk trash resolution. Will KING KWAME do it?

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1873
Posted From: 71.227.58.187
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets look again at the broken window theory and little government actions. I had to walk six blocks today to dispose of a bottle. Its not like I was on some side street; I was on Woodward in the middle of a large Detroit event that brought tens of thousands of dollars into the city. Unlike the thousands before me, I decided not to throw it on the side of the street.

I walked past four parking lots, but, apparently, the parking lots would have to close if there was an ordinace requiring say one trash can for every 5000 ft2 of parking. I walked past brand new condos, but, apparently, developers couldn't afford to develop if you required them to place trash cans every 150 feet of major arterial road they develop on. I was going to a major event, but apparently, these events couldn't happen if they were required to provide refuse containers.

The joke is that any of these costs could have been passed on to primarily out-of-towners. The very same people that were dumping the trash. The joke is that these very people saw this trash and made them think of Detroit as a trashy place where anything goes, including high crime.

Since it was primarily suburbanites walking the stretch, I'd have to go on a limb and say they were primarily responsible for the mess. I'm willing to go even further and say they would do the same thing if an event at the Palace also had there been no trash recepticals there. Just goes to show its not the individual group memebers that determine how the group acts, but the group's leaders.

Simple minor zoning codes could have made the City look nice today and lessened some folks perceptions. Instead, I had to listen to the same Detroit bashing as always. Thanks Kwame. Thanks CC. I didn't want $20 million; I just wanted a trash can.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2473
Posted From: 71.155.193.175
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmyers now you are being completely ridiculous. Are you seriously trying to claim that "Novi doesn't even have regular trash pickup" and "Royal Oak is in worse financial shape than Detroit"? Get real!

By the way, try comparing policy to policy, not policy to practice. Detroit's (previous) official policy read much the same as those of many suburban communities (hint: "bulk the size of a small washing machine", etc.).

Again, my point counters your claim. Bulk is an essential city service (especially given Detroit's unique problems compared to suburban communities). And again, how can it not be an essential service given the previously mentioned unique problems the city faces as well as the fact that virtually every other local community has it?

Shark, what did you get?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1728
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wcpo_intern, There were garbage cans last year. They were removed for Superbowl. They are considered a major security threat. It is now standard operating procedure to remove garbage cans before national level events.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City of Novi doesn't operate the trash collection.

On a per capita basis, I believe Royal Oak has a bigger deficit. (They have more options available to get out of it though.)

You might be right about the offical policy, but was it followed?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2228
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So nice to see Metro attacking someone else for a change...remember he is never wrong!

Gistok

Post Number: 1980
Posted From: 4.229.72.186
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro.... ILD is feeling neglected.... are you ignoring him? :-)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2475
Posted From: 75.10.19.202
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"ILovedetroit" will no doubt add more bogus claims to his man Kilpatrick's garbage claims.

Jsmyers you just keep digging yourself deeper. Nice try but many cities don't "operate the trash collection". Trying telling Detroit, Highland Park, and Pontiac residents (among others) about Royal Oak's "problems".

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1608
Posted From: 70.236.175.171
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point is clear:

Most rapidly growing communities don't have bulk pickup. Most of them have such limited services that they don't have webpages. Most of them are townships.

There are much more important services to provide in a city than bulk trash collection.

As city costs rapidly increase (healthcare and pensions mostly), taxes stay flat (Headlee/Prop A), and State support erodes, many cities that offer bulk pickup now are going to think twice. Two big ones already have.

Other than that, I agree with you that it would be nice to have in Detroit. But cops, firefighters, and long term investments to build a stonger residential, business, and tax base are all more important.

Detroit's financial problems are the same as any other city that can't build on farm or woodland. They are just a little sooner and a lot bigger (because Detroit is bigger). The only non-"growing" places that might be spared are the uber-rich.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First thing Detroit needs is a workforce that shows up for work. All the way from the top to the bottom. Then picking up the trash would go along naturally. As long as the residents made it their point to put it where it belongs.

Is this another of those Kwame surprise proclomations? It seems that the council had no idea anything would ever change..... again. And if they have their way, it won't.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2478
Posted From: 70.141.181.191
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again Jsmyers you haven't backed up any of your claims. What two big cities have eliminated bulk service (yes Det is one)? What cities/towns have "such limited services that they don't even have webpages"? What "rapidly growing communities don't have bulk pickup"? What communities have publicly stated that they are "thinking twice about bulk pickup"?

You have done nothing more on here than shill for Kilpatrick using similarly false claims.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1611
Posted From: 67.177.129.227
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What two big cities have eliminated bulk service (yes Det is one)?

Ann Arbor

quote:

What cities/towns have "such limited services that they don't even have webpages"?

None. I said "communities" then I said they were townships. I was probably wrong, they probably do have some kind of webpage, just very little content. (Largely because they have very little services.)

quote:

What "rapidly growing communities don't have bulk pickup"?

Novi and virtually every township in the state. There are others. "Growth" in metro Detroit is mostly happening at the far fringe.

quote:

What communities have publicly stated that they are "thinking twice about bulk pickup"?

I never wrote that anybody publicly stated that. In fact I don't believe I ever stated that they are now thinking twice about it. I did say that will will be thinking twice about. Built out Michigan cities are almost all running into budget crises. Many more will have to make the choice between police, bulk pickup, or raising taxes. I know what I would pick.

I've been posting on this board for almost 3 years. You are either blind, illeterate, or an idiot if you think I shill for Kilpatrick. I happen to think that this is one tough choice he made right, but I could find one good thing that virtually any politician did, even if I'd vote for the other guy.

I haven't made false claims. I've just presented a point of view you don't agree with. That is ok. I value police, fire, and transportation, apparently you value bulk pickup. I understand and respect your POV. I don't respect your blanket statement about how Detroit is doing something incorrigible nor your use of blinders towards evidence to the contrary.

We are both apparently out of new information: discussion over.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2486
Posted From: 75.10.25.162
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmyers, for whatever reason you are attempting to continue to promote disingenuous, not to mention false, claims about bulk trash service in both the city as well as suburbs. Furthermore, your dishonesty once called out on such claims is disheartening, to say the least. Nice try but there is a big difference between points of view with differing opinions versus facts.

There was never a discussion on this matter because you never presented any facts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.