Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Whats the deal with the big Steam Pips behind Puppet Art? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That thing spews steam out like a mo fo.
Anyone know why?

Michigansheik

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pipe not pips, lol

(Message edited by michigansheik on April 05, 2006)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5742
Posted From: 69.242.213.167
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pips

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 568
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff,

You are completely insane!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMBAO!

later - naturalsister

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5649
Posted From: 69.167.75.70
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bet, 'sheik, is that you're seeing a leak from the steam generation system that runs much of downtown's high-rise heating.

When that new firm took over a few years ago, they ran around fixing a good many of the leaks...but apparently they couldn't get to 'em all...but installed a few of those pipes to send the scalding steam away from potentially harming people.

I've seen them in a few locations...and they always remind me of the homeless I've met who have been injured when they slept over the steam for their winter survival.

Twice in one winter, back in the late eighties when I used to attend that dirty little brown church at Edward and Woodward, I drove homeless dudes to Receiving when we realized they had both severe frostbite AND deep burns from the steam.

The memories of one fellow's screams during this drive continue to haunt me whenever I think of this stuff.

I'm sure they are not eager to field lawsuits for injuries sustained from steam contact...but even that large collection of grates near the northwest corner of Beaubien Street and Congress (if that is the street St. Andrews is on) still spew steam after they worked under there for a few months...and I've been bitten by it just walking by...through jeans.

But when you're already frostbitten...I guess you lose that acute awareness of injury during your desperate thawing when you've no place else to turn.

(before I learned of the steam heating system downtown, I used to think it was just hot sewage steam...glad I was wrong on that one.)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3053
Posted From: 69.212.127.152
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a substation, it was DTE's. I'm not sure who it belongs to now.

Michigansheik

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stack I'm referring to is near Farmer and Grand River. It extends 50ft high from the ground and is constantly spewing tons of steam, seems wasteful.
I heard Detroit Thermal did fix many leaks and now some of the steam we see is actaully water mains leaking onto the steam pipes.

With all the steam they are letting out at this location they could heat a building or two it would seem.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 583
Posted From: 68.255.236.166
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point.

They could defintely heat several locations.

Imagine the red tape trying to get something like that done.

later - naturalsister

Naturalsister

Post Number: 584
Posted From: 68.255.236.166
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a master plumber and he's talked about how simple the engineering for something like that is.

Now the cost...

later - naturalsister

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1069
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<< I though you were talking about me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.