Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Italian Classes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mclite
Username: Mclite

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 216.216.62.36
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to take classes to learn how to speak Italian this summer. I tried contacting the International Institute, but they do not offer Italian. They did offer to find a teacher for me, if I could find a group of 12 or so classmates. So, I pose two questions.

1. Does anyone know of a good Italian class in the neighborhood?
2. If not, is anyone interested in forming a class that meets somewhere Downtown/Midtown one night a week? We could even rotate hosts and have a class in each other’s homes. I know a group that does it in Troy

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 214
Posted From: 209.104.144.90
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What level are you interested in? Beginning, intermediate, advanced? I don't know of anything in the downtown or midtown area. The Italian Center in Livonia has classes, as does the Italian American Center in Warren, which I read somewhere moved most of their classes to Clinton Township.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 815
Posted From: 70.227.207.28
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's probably a bit pricey just for one class, but UDM has italian language courses (mcnichols and livernois). they offer an exchange course to italy (which i participated in and was excellent) and some of the corresponding at the mcnichols campus.

Abraham
Username: Abraham

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 68.62.57.21
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb Community College.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3919
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lei dovrebbe portare del WSU di classi italiano. Ha le Classi migliori italiane di qualunque livello elementare. L'università di Comunità di Macomb non sarebbe in grado di tenere una candela alle classi di Lingue italiane di WSU. E lei sarà in grado di alla brezza attraverso la Lingua italiana in un batter d'occhio.

It works for me.

(Message edited by danny on April 05, 2006)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3336
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, Livonia has Italians?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not anymore. Once Livonia realized they had some of "THOSE" people living in their community, they closed all the coffee shops and any shops that offered anything even CLOSE to fashionable clothing.

Notice, neither exists today and all the Italians moved to the Eastern Suburbs...

Patrick

Post Number: 3337
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was under the impression that iatlioans were alwaysd on the east side. They simply kept moving north. Clinton Twp is

Gianni

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 209.104.144.90
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The eastside Italians started near what is now Lafayette Park and eventually moved out the "Gratiot vector" to to East Side of Detroit, St Clair Shores, and now Clinton Township all the way to 98 mile road or whatever.

I once saw a copy of the Detroit Italian American newspaper from the 20's. All the ads were for businesses on Rivard, Gratiot and Eastern Market area. The big topic was prohibition. The paper was advocating to vote against it because it was "an attack on our culture."

The east side Italians are largely Sicilian and have been here longer. But there are definitely lots on the West side. Dearborn, Livonia, and now Northville, Plymouth and Salem Township areas. Thats where all my paisan's come from. Closest I ever got to Gratiot until adulthood was the Eastown at Harper and Van Dyke. Definitely not an Italian neighborhood then or now.

Mclite
Username: Mclite

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 216.216.62.36
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, we have gotten off subject. And, for the record, the good Italians are still on the East Side.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am aware of the suburban classes. But, I want to stay downtown.

Anyone interested in forming a class?

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they teach Italian classes in Birmingham. Either through the schools at night or at The Community House. Of course you can always learn Swedish at the Swedish Club in Farmington Hills.

Phil313
Username: Phil313

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.84.176.51
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be interested in starting an Italian language class. When I lived at Park Shelton, I had hoped to enroll in something through Int'l Institute, but it was never offered. Going out to Clinton Twp. is just too far for me. I'm in Ferndale now, but I'd be willing to go down to The D.

Gianni

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 69.3.205.5
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the advanced class. My wife is in the intermediate/beginner class. One or both of us might be interested in something downtown. I might even have a teacher if there were enough people.

Bucket
Username: Bucket

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 207.148.208.42
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mclite:

The Italian classes that are nearest to downtown are probably those offered through the Italian American Cultural Center. Yes, the Center moved from Warren to Clinton Township, but they still hold the bulk of their classes at St. Clement Parish on 10 Mile and Van Dyke in Warren. That is probably about as close as you're going to get to downtown, aside from classes at U of D or Wayne, which will cost you a bundle.

However, you said that you would like to learn Italian for this summer -- I presume you're taking a trip to Italy?? Just so you know, university and cultural center classes are already more than half way through their respective semesters. The cultural center classes run from January to May and from September to December, so you would not be able to start until the fall.

If you need to learn the basics before the summer, your best bet might be to try and find a tutor on craigslist. Or create an informal group to get together and chat, a la meetup.com. That will get you started before summer arrives and then you could take classes in the fall if you want to continue.

There are also places in Italy where you can study, I don't know if that's an option for you or not. Universita per Stranieri di Perugia is one of the biggest: http://www.unistrapg.it.

Whatever you decide to do, my best advice is this: you'll only get out of it that which you are willing to put into it. And: don't get discouraged if you don't become as fluent as you would like as quickly as you would like. In other words: it takes discipline and patience.

In bocca al lupo.

Saluti,

Signor Bucket

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.220.69.76
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am currently taking italian at WSU. it is pricy but definitaly worth it. I would also be very interested in a meeting group in the midtown, downtown area as i need as much practice as possible.
I am also in need a very good brick layer if anybody knows anyone outthere. I figured this thread would be as good as any to ask :-)
-Rick

Patrick

Post Number: 3340
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think MCC South Campus had non credit language courses at one time. Not sure if it is still around.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.