Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Wal-Mart coming to Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 772
Posted From: 69.209.140.81
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wal-Mart to Add Jobs in Struggling Areas
By MARCUS KABEL, Associated Press Writer

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 60404/ap_on_bi_ge/wal_mart_job s

"Wal-Mart said it will build the stores in neighborhoods with high crime or unemployment rates, on sites that are environmentally contaminated, or in vacant buildings or malls in need of revitalization."

Sounds like Detroit may follow Chicago.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1338
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How often does a business say something like this?
Seems like an example of economies of scale.

And as much as some of us hate chain stores, a well-placed Wal-mart (perhaps on 8-mile, Gratiot, or Fenkell, etc) could help Detroit a lot, if for nothing else than the added jobs.

(Message edited by mackinaw on April 04, 2006)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs to take whatever it can get for right now. Bring em on. We have enough hair stores.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wal-Mart said it will build the stores in neighborhoods with high crime or unemployment rates, on sites that are environmentally contaminated......."

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1713
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Wal-Mart store will be built on Kelly near Eastland where the old Notre Dame and Regina high schools are.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 904
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a PR thing for Wal-Mart trying to make it look like they care, since that have taken so much flack (rightfully so), so bad health care, low wages, locking illegal aliens into stores to clean them........

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! there goes the east side

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone, slash your wages! Whoo hoo!

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They might as well build one in Iraq as well....

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey oldredfordette, if it was that bad no one would work there. Right? There is a labor market in this country, and Wal-mart is a pretty legitimate player in it. There are thousands that are willing and able to work for them, and they have the option of working somewhere else if there's something they don't like about the corporation. Considering that Michigan has the highest unemployment in the nation, it kind of makes sense to encourage low-paying (or any-paying) employers to come here. And it really won't be bad at all for laborers when the state's minimum wage goes up nearly $2, although it may further hamper economic expansion here.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1057
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any real problem with Wal-Mart, just keep it out of the Grand Blvd loop, or any area that is trying to maintain or renew itself as a reasonably dense urban area... e.g. Corktown. Something on the far west side or far east side would probably be useful for a lot of people.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The average hourly wage at Wal-Mart is over $10/hour. It's not awesome, but christ, you're stocking shelves at Wal-Mart. It's around $20,000 a year...not enough for a single-parent/single-income family, but hardly slave labor.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walmart is an example of non-sustainable land use patterns. I'd be glad to avoid landing one in my backyard. The way they add to non-walkable communities, I'd be glad to pass them anyday.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 774
Posted From: 69.209.140.81
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,
In Michigan your logic is just nonsensical. Workers here have a RIGHT to at least $20/hr, no deductible healthcare and pension funds regardless of their skill sets and/or lack of education. It's simply rude and unjustifiable to ask anything more of lower skilled laborers, or so goes the union creed.

How dare a global firm like Wal-Mart march into Detroit and ask that the unemployed accept wages averaging $10/hr, especially when they may have to wait to qualify for healthcare coverage in 6-12 months! The outrage!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3478
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be great if Meijer would put a store in newer parts of Detroit outside the Grand Boulevard Loop, but that won't happen until Hell freezes way-the-hell over. Meijer is a far superior chain, IMO, in terms of service and quality of products.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters should be grateful for any businesses that only require a modicum of intelligence and ability. I remember a local newspaper article from 1997 that described typical Detroit job seekers from the point-of-view of an HR manager at pre-DCX Chrysler. He stated that Chrysler had no choice but to reject (for nonskilled general labor positions there) some 90% of applicants coming from the city of Detroit for not meeting their minimum standards for a variety of reasons: criminal past, no education, etc.

Beggars shouldn't be so choosey.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on April 04, 2006)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man he made the labor force of Detroit seem comparable to that of Mexico City. Perhaps a bit harsh.

I would expect that the chosen site would be outside the Boulevard. I'd be aiming for higher density neighborhoods that are fairly middle class. Far west side Warrendale or west-central Palmer might work, or NE side near Gratiot.

Mrjoshua, I know, what was I thinking?

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 141.212.53.198
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's great that they are coming to town and the economy will benefit. I don't shop there and still won't, but Detroit can use the jobs.

1953, you make a great comment about Wal Mart land use. This is a small step, but in Chicago, the company was forced to put a green roof on the building.

http://www.ablechicago.com/A55 960/Able2.nsf/Pages/8--Chicago +Sun-Times+%22AUSTIN+WAL-MART+ TO+OPEN+IN+SUMMER%22.htm

Not sure if Detroit has that kind of power to lay down the law though.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Won't go to Meijer anymore. Have you ever noticed the clerks have no teeth?

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 207.74.209.4
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they'd build a Meijer here... I'm sick of driving all the way out to the goddamn suburbs. Everyone at CCS does their shopping at Meijer...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3540
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wal-Mart sets the benchmark for wages now. That shop floor ave. wage is $10.11. That is now the wage that a whole variety of industries target for semi-skilled employees. Factories, services, small business, clerical, government, etc. go by $10.11/hour of work. Over the last 100 yrs., basically one company has set a benchmark wage be it the NY Central, GE, GM, Ford, Westinghouse, Kroger, etc. Right now, it's Wal-Mart for the entire USA.

Wal-Mart has 1.8 million employees.

They started down in Arkansas in 1962, the same yr. as Target, K-Mart and Woolco when the freeways were mostly done and big boxes moved to a regional program from small city centers. Wal-Mart didn't build in places with more than 10,000 population until into the 1990s.

jjaba.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 605
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local communities are rallying to keep WalMart out of their cities. Unfortunately, Kwame is open to the lowest bidder.

The health care they offer is a sham btw. WalMart has the second highest number of employees who are also getting government assistance so they can pay their bills (the highest? The US Army. Eat that, war hawks)

Pour yourself another big cool glass of KoolAid, MrJoshua. And Mackinaw? That $5/hr nurse is waiting patiently for your ass to come to her nursing home.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3914
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAL-MART IS EVIL! Let's tell SPRAWL-MART to stay out of Detroit's ghettohoods.

WAL-MART KILL K-MART

WAL-MART KILL TOYS "R" US

WAL-MART turn senior citizens into souless automatons!

WAL-MART trying to lower prices just to lure SUCKERS to but their prices and charge them with hidden fees on their charge and debit cards And to get mom and pop retails to shut down their stores.

WAL-MART wants to build a SUPERCENTER at the former Wonderland Mall site in (Hitlerland) Livonia and turn it into a ghetto.

DON'T SHOP WAL-MART for it is EVIL!!!

Danny

Post Number: 3915
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DON'T THIER "SMILEY FACE"!!!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 907
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, besides global growth, where else can Wal-Mart go. They have tried to years to break into the middle/upper middle market that Target has a hold on, but they can't, and since there is only so much money other people have, urban areas are the only place left to go, and people won't throw up a fuss, since they want ny investment in the area.

Jeepndanny
Username: Jeepndanny

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 209.254.56.226
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a store like Walmart were to actually ever come to Detroit, I wouldn't expect an announcement until the definite site of the new boarder crossing is unveiled. My prediction is that once that spot is determined, a discount retailer will go in near the new bridge in SW Detroit (also, I predict it will be a Meijer, not a Walmart).

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 207.74.209.4
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny said: "WAL-MART IS EVIL! Let's tell SPRAWL-MART to stay out of Detroit's ghettohoods."

Is it really "urban sprawl" if you're moving BACK into the cities? Look, I still think Wal-Mart's an evil corporation, but Detroit really needs modern supermarkets. I doubt Wal-Mart will ever give a Detroit institution like, say, the Eastern Market a run for its money, and Wal-Mart can give Detroiters modern amenities that other places just can't.

Honestly, at this point we should be welcoming anyone who wants to invest in this city with open arms...

Focusonthed

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wal-Mart and Eastern Market aren't even on the same planet.

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 462
Posted From: 65.43.45.201
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I hate Wal-Mart, I wouldn't mind if they build in a really bad part of the city. It is hard to shun anyone willing to bring jobs and risk the investment into those areas. What I would never support is a Rite-Aid/Walgreens style, "build a cookie cutter store by tearing down a historic but buyable street corner."

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3488
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeep,

Meijer has pretty much said that it isn't considering now, or even in the forseeable future, a store in Detroit. Don't hold you breath. There are a plethora of reasons for this, and quite a few touchy and sensitive ones that I don't even want to get in to. I can't think of any Meijers in predominately low-income areas.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3541
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, gives us the dish on Meijer. They came over Detroit-way from Grand Rapids. What's the dish?

jjaba.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 69.214.59.222
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back the mom and pop type bodegas. or either Harbortown type grocery stores. smaller more personable. Keep the cookie cutters in the burbs.......

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wal-Mart doesn't put anyone out of business.

People who shop at Wal-Mart do.

Everyone says what happened to the corner store, neighborhood hardware, ...blah blah blah.

You stopped shopping there beacuse it was more expensive than Wal-Mart.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1380
Posted From: 75.10.25.142
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Wal-Mart is now considering the city because they've pretty much filled in most of the suburban areas an have no where else to grow. A lot of major chains are doing the same thing (Home Depot, etc.)

Danny

Post Number: 3928
Posted From: 141.217.174.221
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAL-MART will killed Detroit. Keep WAL-MART away from Detroit.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

Your right. Why would a city full of low income/ no income individuals want a store full of low prices? They may even be able to work there!!!

The city is doing so well why would it need the worlds biggest company to invest in it?

Stick with the car thing. It's going so well.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3494
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny is usually someone to be ignored.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 571
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wal-Mart doesn't put anyone out of business.

People who shop at Wal-Mart do.

Everyone says what happened to the corner store, neighborhood hardware, ...blah blah blah.

You stopped shopping there beacuse it was more expensive than Wal-Mart.

Great post. If all of the people bitching about the Walmart/big box chains stopped shopping there, the problem would be solved.

I can't really speak about Walmart, because I have never shopped there, but I generally avoid big box chains because of the poor service.

I refuse to enter a Best Buy store because of the consistently bad service, and the fact that they subject paying customers to a search after every purchase.

The humiliating experience of having my bags searched and my receipt checked, by a door guard that was standing there watching me check out, is incredibly offensive. The customs agents at the US border let me pass with less scrutiny than the Best Buy door guard. I am amazed by the number of people that are willing to submit to these odious security checks just to save a buck or two. I am not a weathy man, but I refuse to sacrifice my dignity for the "privilege" of purchasing goods at a warehouse store.

I don't shop at local stores because I am fighting for some kind of noble ideal. I shop at local stores because they offer me the personalized service and genuine respect that the big box stores can't. The warm greeting of a local shop owner, combined with superior knowledge of the products, faster service, less hassle, and genuine respect for the customer is well worth the extra few dollars.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.14.28.209
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.Inexpensive goods and services. 2.High wages.
3.American made. You can only have two of these things. The problem is we want all three.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd, well-written and reflective.
Problem is, millions of Wal-Mart shoppers go there because of low prices. They save $2,500 per family if they shop Wal-Mart regularly. They probably don't remember service and quality of goods anymore.

Wal-Mart is very popular in smaller rural places where such goods are hard to find.

For example, take the case of fresh salmon. Wal-Mart sells more than anybody and cheaper, like $4.95 a lb. How can anybody in Mississippi or even Detroit provide this? They pollute terribly in Chile Fiords but the salmon is always there and the customers flock in to buy it. Imagine running the fresh salmon operation to 5,000 stores.

People like television. Wal-Mart announces a 5 am truckload sale and people line up for a $159 tv by the pickup loads. Before Joe's Appliances on Main St. opens at 9 am, the whole County has already got a new tv. Joe gives service, he delivers and sets up, and you pay for it. Sadly, the shoppers go for price. (Besides, sadly, there aren't any tvs made domestically anymore.)

jjaba, tells it like it tis.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.