Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Joe Dumars makes the NBA Hall of Fame! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2175
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to one of the nicest & shrewdest guys out there! Not only was he an anchoring force for the Bad Boys era, but since then he's been a consumate professional in the front office for the Pistons.

Very well deserving!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 68.252.4.95
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Dumars is a class act. When my boys were young and Joe was still playing, we encountered him at a restaurant having a luncheon meeting with a group of business professionals. When my boys, ages 11 and 7 at the time, went to ask him for his autograph, they were stopped by management. "Just wait until the men he is with leave, then you can go to his table," they were told. They waited. The gentlemen left. When they approached Joe, he had them sit down, asked them about school, encouraged them to do well and signed an autograph for each of them. He took his time, did not shove them aside. Today, they still remember the experience and Joe has been their idol ever since. His induction is indeed well deserved. In this age of sports egos, he is indeed a class act. He has managed to assemble a team with the same kind of "team" initiative...a collective effort with players who sincerely care about the game and each other.
Congratulations, Joe!

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 206
Posted From: 71.4.97.70
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this is first ballot. He was up against some stiff competition too.

He is truly a rare gem in the sports world. A nice guy that is also a cold and calculating winner.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm kind of surprised he made it. I just don't see his numbers as HOF numbers. Players like Dennis Johnson and Sidney Moncrief have very comparable numbers and were just as good on the defensive end if not better than Dumars was and it looks like they will never get in. I'm assuming Joe D's success as a president/GM was factored in.

They need an NBA HOF or a seperate wing for NBA players. I think it's kind of a joke when the NBA greats are listed in the HOF among people like Lynette Woodard and Cheryl Miller.

Speaker of HOF'ers it was nice to see the tribute to the Dobber last night. He was the first professional athlete I latched on to as a child and was my favorite sports figure growing up. I have a Lanier poster from the early 70's hanging up in my basement. I'm surprised, after close to 35 years it's still in reasonably good shape.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1036
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumars is truely deserving of this. Just wait he will go in as an executive as well. They do that in the NBA right?

Smogboy

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've been pretty lucky as a city to have such classy athletes play here. Joe D is probably at or near the top as far as being the classiest of the lot.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Isiah when i was a kid and he was really friendly and down to earth. Him and Wayne Fontes two guys i remember meeting well, and i've met alot of local athletes. The meanest encounter I had was with Mike Heneman relief pticher for the tigers, luckily however Willie Hernandez came and talked to me.

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 68.73.7.153
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Romanized, this is actually his second. I agree Joe D is a true gem. Congrats to him.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2419
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says nice guys don't finish first.

Well deserved congrats to Joe Dooooooo'-mars!

Lots of players put up great numbers on the court and wear a handful of championship rings, but how many ascend to management and then get one of those rings? If you are a superstar in both those leagues, you are in a class of your own, like Joe. Pure class. He is the the kind of message the NBA wants to send.

And how do Joe and Isaih compare now? :-)

Smogboy

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...Isiah on the verge of getting booted from the Knicks and he's been all around the league as GM without any success. Wasn't he also the one that sunk the CBA??

Now what I want to know is what happened between Isiah & Mr. Davidson. What kind of tiff did they have where he wasn't the favorite son anymore??

Chemak
Username: Chemak

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 130.101.48.82
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably due to the fact that Isiah shares some of the same character flaws with our most recently departed head coach.

(Message edited by Chemak on April 02, 2006)

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 230
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My very first job, when I was 16, was as an usher at the Palace. I was frequently assigned to the section outside Mr. Dumars' suite. Before every game, he would come out, shake my hand, ask how i was doing, etc. I worked there for 3 years, and never heard a bad thing about him, or had a bad encounter with him, or any member of his family or team. Obviously he's not being honored for being a class act, but it's just nice to see such a nice guy being recognized for his accomplishments.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 70.229.254.128
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The honor was officially announced today.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.