Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Is Gay Bashing that acceptable in Detroit area? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 620
Posted From: 68.248.74.21
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not a gay male but often I hear people freely scream negative things out their cars or to others about being gay. I find it offensive and I am not apart of the group. Im not sure if it belongs in this thread, but from many of my observasions it seems like too many people find it acceptable around here. Anyone else agree, disagree, or similar experiance? Or is it not only metro Detroit?

Devinc
Username: Devinc

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.14.138.74
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this title should read, "gay bashing acceptable in the america area?"

what's the point to this post? is it ok to be gay anywhere outside the east bay area?
thank your politicians for that!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1319
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, not acceptable.

You may be 100 percent sure that homosexuals are going to hell and that their existence here is one that corrupts our society, but that does not mean that they are not human, nor does it mean that they should not be tolerated and allowed to exist and be respected as such, nor does it mean that innuendo can be tossed around as in your example.

You can judge the people you descibe as immature low-lifes more than you can make an assesment on what they actually believe deep down. Some people can't resist name-calling or playing into stereotypes. One of the most liberal fellows I know can't help himself in public from saying "those damn Asians," or "freaking ____" fill in the blanks with your favorite demographic, anytime a representative of that group does something he doesn't like.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 692
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So appropriate that I log in to read this thread this morning...

I run a website devoted to new and used car pricing with some friends. We're not huge, definitely not an autobytel, edmunds or KBB, nontheless we have been targeted by the AFA regarding Ford's "blatant support" of homosexuals.

To wit, the latest email I received this morning:

-------------------------

Quinn,

I would like to take a moment of your time to express my disappointment in the Ford Motor Company for funding the homosexual agenda.

Homosexuality is an abomination to God. (1 Corinthians 6:9) I feel sorry for people who live in confusion, thinking that homosexuality is in any way "normal". I personally mean no harm to anyone that is gay, but I refuse to let people who are, force their dysfunctional lifestyle on my family.

My husband and I will not allow one cent of our hard earned money to go to any company (to our knowledge) that supports homosexuality.

Therefore, we are through buying any Ford or other vehicles that the Ford Motor Company manufactures.

As of two weeks ago, we were ready to buy "outright" with cash, a new Ford Explorer from the Mike Brown Dealership. Unfortunately, now we have to look into other companies.

Please forward this email to the owners of this dealership. They have the right to know why they are losing business.

Thank you,
Brady and Jennifer Dempsey
Meridian, Texas

-------------------------

Now, this isn't the standard form letter. She's noting a specific dealership in her area that, yes, is in our dealer network. This means she had to research this (either by googling or placing a lead with us and tracing).

It amazes me that the AFA is working this hard to take away basic rights for other Americans...and deepy saddens me.

I guess the whole point of my rant is that no, Detroit isn't any worsethan any other place in the U.S. for Gay Bashing. Right now, Detroit (ala Ford Motor Company) is being targeted by the entire nation of fools belonging to the AFA.

As a gay guy, I've always felt welcomed in the city. Throughout the recent political campaign I took part in, every single person I met was welcoming and friendly to me and my partner...I would even say loving.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3877
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that 95% of the Black communities in Detroit know that Homosexuality is WRONG!! So they will bash anyone who show their homosexual life.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1358
Posted From: 66.238.170.32
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found gay bashing to be rather acceptable in metro Detroit. It's not OK in all areas, but I've found it acceptable in most places.

It's not at all like the rest of the country. I can't think of any metro areas outside of Detroit where open gay bashing is considered OK.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2181
Posted From: 65.170.188.144
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny -

Their "homosexual life" you sound like one of those that is disapproving...where do you stand?

Yes, it is wrong. I have a hard time understanding how alleged "christians" can go around bashing someone that god allegedly created. I have never understood their justification.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 619
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was walking alone down a Toronto street one night years ago and some jerks in car came by and called me a fag. It semed pretty strange since they didn't know me from Adam.
No doubt they were drunk and didn't have anything else to do. It made me think of a lot of unfortunate folks who may have been at the wrong place at the wrong time.
This incident also showed me how ignorant people can be especially when liquored up and with a mob mentality.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 24.145.222.252
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, people think AFA represents mainstream America. There is a silent majority out there(40-60%) population I think who just plain doesn't care what people do in bed. The AFA is the same org which in the 80s played the Mr Ed theme song(yes, "A horse is a horse, of course of course....) backwards and tried to say it was Satanic.

That being said, these people don't want to get involved at all. Live and let live. There are much bigger problems.

Besides, you're never going to reach the 10-20% vocal minority who are AFA "Adam and Steve" rednecks.

Danny

Post Number: 3881
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall,

Those folks in Toronto call you a FAG because they might saw you playing with yourself with another guy. I'm glad that you didn't go to some club, showing off your sex body and tatoo yourself "HORNY BOY" in your chest.

Danny

Post Number: 3882
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you be safe in one of those " Anti Gay Bashing communities like "Gaydale" Ferndale, or "Homopolis" Royal Oak. The Homo-folks out there would glady share your thoughts.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 988
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally mean no harm to anyone that is gay, but I refuse to let people who are, force their dysfunctional lifestyle on my family.
------------------------------ -------------------
Is someone fornicating outside their window ? Imagine how shocked they would be to know that their children attend school with kids who have gay parents....maybe their Priest is even gay...oh the horror !

People like this deserve to have a gay couple move in next door with a swimming pool, inviting the LAGA Club over every weekend for a Bar-B-Que.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 70.228.2.235
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul: are you sure they weren't just asking for a cigarette? =)

At any rate, the more vocally anti gay someone is, the more I suspect they are trying to convince themselves that they are straight.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2411
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You may be 100 percent sure that homosexuals are going to hell and that their existence here is one that corrupts our society..."

So you are God now? I am not 100% so sure you are. In fact I grew up being taught that speaking for what God would do was a blasphemy that could send you to hell. So maybe you could send us a report when you get there.

I don't mean to pick you, you do temper what you wrote with, "but that does not mean that they are not human, nor does it mean that they should not be tolerated" but can't you see where weaker minds might take your statement as justification for gay bashing and therefore hastening their road to your perdition?

I think it is time for our society to grow up, get its collective nose out of our bedrooms and accept what productive law-abiding consenting adults do in the privacy of their lives as none of its business.

Gays, like Afro-Americans and other minorities, are the proverbial canaries in the mine of our civil liberties. If their rights perish, whose do you think are next?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone call the mental hospital where Danny lives...his nurse/warden must be asleep or on an extended smoke break.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1518
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly from a legal point of view the religious right is the big villain in this argument, but I don't think it is religious devotion that drives most verbal and physical gay bashing. It's simply the window dressing to make it all more justifiable.

The fact of the matter is some people grow up in households where hating gay people is not only tolerated but encouraged. It transcends race, income level and geography, at least in the sense you will find it EVERYWHERE to varying extents.

The only thing that seems to change attitudes is actually knowing gay people. The AIDS crisis in the 80's forced the gay community out in the spotlight, and many people discovered they had a gay friend or family member only when an uncle, brother, son or co-worker got sick. Gay people started coming out of the closet more in the face of public attacks on their rights and on them as people. It was a really politically and emotionally charged time, especially in the cities that had larger gay communities, but it opened many people's eyes to the fact they DID know someone gay.

As a result, there is enormously more understanding and acceptance of gay people in society today. There are still insanely ignorant attitudes out there, but I don't think there is anyone out there who would argue that it isn't light years ahead of 20 years ago. And we are lucky that gay bashing now primarily consists of verbal insults instead of the very real beatings that used to take place with alarming frequency (a hate-motivated shooting outside of Gigi's recently notwithstanding).

What is promising is that younger people no longer think anything of having gay friends, and are comfortable coming out at earlier ages and living very open lives even in high school. Like racism, sometimes it takes a generation or two to get bad attitudes out of the system.

Is Detroit worse than other areas? I would argue yes, worse than other major cities but certainly not worse than most places in the country. It has been a complete non-issue for everyone I've met in the area.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Devinc actually makes a more valid point. The problem isn't really that gay people aren't accepted or tolerated, but they are fundamentally not viewed as equal human beings by many more people than we think. Just look at the last presidential campaign and the fight against (legal, not religious) marriage equality. Or the Prop 2 ballot issue in Michigan.

There is a vocal and not-so-vocal majority out there who ultimately are not as accepting as they say they are.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5725
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I am gratified to know that Mackinaw acknowledges me as a human being! What an honor! I can't wait to share that with my parents.

<---thinks Mackinaw should read Romans 2, Verse 1 then STFU.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I reading Mackinaw's message wrong? I got the impression he was anwering the question "Is it acceptable around here" with "no, not acceptable" and then demonstrating that even if you don't like it, you need to treat everyone with respect.

And then he threw in some random implication of liberals that I didn't quite get.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7142
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All regions will have idiots. The important thing is that the intelligent open-minded people call them out and try to educate them to end their hate.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2182
Posted From: 69.39.80.144
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest we ban Danny! I always knew he was a complete idiot but I never thought he was a complete homophobe. If I am correct Danny you are black? All minorites in this country should ban together in a solid cohesive group...I have told gays that make racist comments they are asses and I will tell you that you are an ignorant ass to!

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1355
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need to get worked up folks. Danny is gay.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Primordial ooze-dwelling troglodytes such as the AFA and Danny need to explain how their own self-consuming, white-hot hatred of gays and the accompanying rush to systematically strip them of every one of their civil rights is any different from Jim Crow, the Third Reich (pre-gas chambers, anyway), or the way we treated Japanese Americans during WWII. Answer: It's no different, and it's scary. That these positions enjoy as much credibility as they do ought to scare the shit out of all of us.

Disapprove of what gay people do behind closed doors all you want, people, but remember: they're 1 of every 10 of us. There are probably people who you and like who happen to be attracted to members of the same sex. Bible-thumping zealouts and haters treat homosexuality as if it were an addictive drug that must be stamped out before we all give in to its seductions. What are you so afraid of?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1701
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take it easy on Danny folks he is an idiot savant with a strong emphasis towards idiot. You could probably remove the savant part of my statement but the would be mean.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 581
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hatred of the right wing really sets me back sometimes. For people who claim to be Christians. I read this site, it's all about hatred for gays, union members, non-union workers, immigrants, muslims, Americans of middle eastern origin, blacks - BIG TIME (I get the secret handshake, all right? Keep it!), liberals, activists. Your hatred will eat you alive.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2162
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ever happened to tolerance of one another's differences? If I don't approve of your lifestyle, who am I to criticize it AND vice versa? Like Lowell says, I don't speak for God but then neither do you.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Love one another as I have loved you". Isn't that what Jesus said?
For some people who claim they are Christian, they sure make a lot of exceptions.
It's amazing how intolerant and stupid they are. Kind of like those kids in the car.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2183
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it when people use the word "lifestyle" to describe me and my brothers and sisters - it is not a lifestyle. We are LIVING. Lifestyle, to me, implies that I made a CHOICE to be gay...none of us have chosen to be gay. It is just something that happens when we are formed in our mother's belly. If I had a choice I would be married and have children like my role models (my parents). I cannot control it anymore than you can control being straight. and for those that hide as gay or "fake it" are just a bunch of cowards and are not real men or women...they are just hurting people that they allegedly love.

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 70.142.149.132
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there are those who chose. It shouldn't matter either way. Let's not "hide" behind genetics.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hide" behind genetics! Are you joking? It is threads like this that make me realize how far we have to go...not only with understanding of gays but also black, muslims and basically anyone who is not a white guy.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 35.11.161.238
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure that, as of 2006, there is no reason to believe that homosexuality is caused by nature, or nurtured. We have yet to figure that out yet. I just hope that when we do find an answer, humanity will realize that homosexuality adds a little more needed diversity, and allows more niches to be filled. Being gay allows for another perspective to come about.

A little diversity never hurt anyone.

G.A.P.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice comment Arc312...

Steelworker

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW im suprised my thread got this much mileage. Any homosexual people in here have had problems with this or do you just forget about it. Its very offensive to feel that its that acceptable to just scream fucking fag out someones car window or walking down the street. Im not appart of there community, but still offends me. It may not be the same thing but it isnt that hard to think these are the same people whos parents in the past would have screamed racial slurs.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker - Are you sure they are not yelling at you? You might want to take the leather vest off with the tight fitting jeans after you leave your steel working job! LOL

Steelworker

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually they were yelling at me, or my friends. Hard to tell there was a group of us. I get that about being a steelworker, and living in ferndale so all the gay jokes come out.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 556
Posted From: 69.246.74.205
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dad, why did you take me to a gay steel mill?"

-Bart Simpson

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well you sound like a great guy - more of you would be nice.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 489
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You might want to take the leather vest off with the tight fitting jeans

Is Ilovedetroit putting the moves on Steelworker?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh grow up ...jeez. It was a joke.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ban Danny! No way he i the funniest guy on here! I myself am straight but I could give a rats ass how you get your orgasm. Im pretty sure that if there is a god he did not tell George W or anyone else what is right or what is wrong. Besides Bush hangs out at the Bohemian Grove where extremely Homosexual activity has been documented.

Sknutson

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

oh grow up ...jeez. It was a joke.

uh.....so was my comment.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1523
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Besides Bush hangs out at the Bohemian Grove where extremely Homosexual activity has been documented.

Where, in Tales of the City? Gimme a break.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Spy Magazine amongst many other sources. It's just common knowledge

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my apologies sknutson. :-)

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 68.43.13.13
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Those folks in Toronto call you a FAG because they might saw you playing with yourself with another guy. I'm glad that you didn't go to some club, showing off your sex body and tatoo yourself "HORNY BOY" in your chest."

Where is the "Ghettomans's Greatest Hits" thread when you need it?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding!

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5727
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still like Danny describing the gay picnic in Palmer Park last year, referring to the debris as a "homo mess." I still say that. "I can't go out tonight, I gotta clean up my homo mess."

Paulmcall

Post Number: 624
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I just bust a gut laughing at that one...NOT!

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 69.14.162.54
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it wrong that what is bothering me the most on this thread is the consistent murder of the english language by Danny???

Moving on- I think we fall somewhere in the middle as a city. I still tend to feel more comfortable in Ferndale, but I should mention that I was innocently walking down 9 mile in Ferndale about 4 years ago with my ex-girlfriend when a car full of young men screamed dyke out the window at us.
Like maybe I wasn't aware of this ? Thank you young sirs.

However, when I was looking for my new place downtown I felt very welcomed by the real estate agent and she even emphasized the whole diversity aspect of moving downtown and basically saying its somewhere that my partner and I will feel comfortable.
Can we be more progressive? Sure.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should have asked the guy that yelled at you what he was doing in Ferndale if he was so anti-gay.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 833
Posted From: 70.236.191.86
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably looking for the next Matthew Sheppard

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 71.193.156.85
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even way out here in almost delusionally liberal Portland it is a problem. I have a couple of friends who have been beaten up, and myself have dealt with--on more than one occasion--verbal insults. For all of my wild-eyed idealism, bigotry is one aspect of humanity that I believe will never be completely erradicated. Assholes are everywhere and, sadly, will always be--whether they are calling me a fag or knocking down pretty, old buildings.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1323
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point, Itsjeff, was to disambiguate the fact that having certain personal views do mean that you will or will not have respect/tolerance for a certain type of individual. Just as it is when we discuss ideas in a forum; I may be 100 percent sure that you are mistaken, or we may have opposite moral codes, but, unless one of us can be proven to be truly low-down scum of the earth bad people, we ought to respect one another.

We're all human, and just that. Everyone has the same human dignity, which is the most basic type of dignity. You read my post and attached a condescending tone to it, but since we are not actually conversing, that was wrong.

I also agree with Smogboy and Arc, who said that we need to tolerate each others differences, and understand that in 2006 diversity is a fact of life.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this thread sums up why i left detroit---for my own survival-------

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 493
Posted From: 70.186.39.150
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only place I ever got bashed was in San Francisco,(must have been my leather jacket and tight jeans) no place is safe ...

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2194
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

itsjeff- You got that homo mess cleaned up yet? hahaha

that is funny as hell!

Steelworker

Post Number: 624
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I heard someone yelling in harmonie park thursday night. But seriously why do people hate/bash homosexuals many of them i have met are great people. Many positive experiances. As someone said diversity is great, there for ive lived in midtown detroit and now ferndale.

Danny

Post Number: 3887
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just a street prophet working for this man.

Also know as the "Ghettoman" He looks like Clay Aiken but he's not the image of Clay Aiken.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1946
Posted From: 4.229.72.243
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I was watching TV and comedian Kathy Griffin (formerly of TV show "Suddenly Susan") do her "D List" trashing of other actors.... she calls him "Clay Gaiken".

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 558
Posted From: 204.128.192.5
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the Ghettoman I saw doing Jello Shots at the picnic last year.

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 342
Posted From: 69.246.19.150
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Danny,

For over a year now, I have read your hot, sexy posts. They make my loins quiver. Won't you join me for dinner sometime? (soon--like tonight--need to release some tension later.) I can't wait to be kissing you and making sweet love to you.

Love,
Bostedguy

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ewwwww I think I may just have had an internal barf?

Danny

Post Number: 3889
Posted From: 198.111.165.162
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar-bob,

that is the Ghettoman picture above like I told all of you from the forum picnic last year. That black guy you just saw its me Street Prophet #174 Danny. I'm the Ghettoman's representative.

(Message edited by danny on April 03, 2006)

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a fact that gay bashing in the USA is deemed ok. Its ok to use the words queer, fag, homo etc. Its a shame that in the 21 century this is still ok. And for all you religious zelots out there, if your telling me that God is going to send me to the same hell for loving my husband that he sends Charles Manson or John Wayne Gacey to for killing all those people you really are messed up in the head. If God in fact would do that then I sure as hell dont want to be with him either since in my book that would make god a bigot!! And yes, I used the term "Husband". George W and the rest of the religious fanatics can call him what they want but in my mind he is every bit my husband (and I am his). You can call it what you want but we have been to an attorney and we are so legally entwined that it will definetly take another attorney to "DIVORCE" us. George W., WE ARE MARRIED! Whether you like it or not. And it is a damn shame that it is ok in this day and age that it is still ok to gay bash. (sure its ok, hell the president does it, why not the rest of America!!!)And its not just a detroit thing. Happens all over the U.S.

Stepping down from soapbox!!

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.255.243.244
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the end we are all science.
Just a bunch of chemicals reacting.
Its our fears that shape us.
fear of the unknown.
fear of change.
the only thing that is contant IS change.

Northend

Post Number: 845
Posted From: 69.220.232.15
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I...I'm like...I'm all.....huh....i'mmmmm....I'm all.........I just like.......I feel like....I'm.....I just wanna.....I just wanna dance!!! my body can't take it anymore........I just wanna dance!!Guys, let's just go dance. I just wanna get it out of my body!!....ohhhh that urge to dance!! I just wanna dance!!!

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Northend are you gay? You keep turning up in all these gay threads.

Just curious.

Northend

Post Number: 847
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dial..being curious is OK, however i turn up in every almost thread and I would hope that I don't have to be gay to post on a thread about gay bashing.

Nice try though

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1618
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, bi-curious, eh?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5741
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh, wonder no more:

Northend

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:26 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Ras-putain reminds me of Rupaul with his flambloyant ghetto fabulous tone. Those years in jail left some scars....one of them still wide open!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bi-curious is just the first stop on the road to Gay Town! What about you Lurker? You do dress nice hahaha

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 569
Posted From: 194.138.39.54

I'm not gay, either.

Northend

Post Number: 848
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

itsjeff:-)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duo - Yeah you are as str8 as the yellow brick road!

Detroitduo

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 194.138.39.54
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not... Only play gay on the internet...

bwaahahahahahahaa

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Queen.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I was wondering more because you turned up on this thread AND the Gay FSC thread a few weeks back.

Sniffing around is fine. Do you date asian chicks, by any chance?

Jeanofarc
Username: Jeanofarc

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.246.48.3
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am mostly a hovering reader and not to often a commentor in this blog. Mostly it is a straight male hangout here, yes? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am a flaming genderqueer individual who prefers to hang out in downtown Detroit neighborhoods and have never been "gay bashed" around here, except by transplanted suburbanites; but in the actual suburbs its a different story; especially on that rainbow flag strip in Ferndale where peeps drive by to shout their fears. I have always felt safer in Detroit this way; esp in the cultural areas. I find it more accepting of everything generally because it is more metropolitan.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 576
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I have to agree with Jeanofarc. In the very cultural areas of Detroit, I have always felt VERY comfortable. Infact, I always thought it strange there aren't many "gay" bars, but the fact is, you can go to just about any bar in midtown or downtown and find a number of gays along with many other types of people. Everyone is everything and noone cares. That's why I love it downtown so much. It doesn't matter if I go to the Detroit Beer Company or Magic Stick or The Works. There is always a nice mix of people who are just having a great time and noone cares!

But go to some places in Ferndale or R.O. and watch out. Those are the only places I have ever been threatened in the Metro area. I haven't had those problems in Detroit.... yet.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the Bronx...no one could even see you to tell if you were man/woman/trans/straight/gay

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo...Right on! I never feel safe in the burbs...too many Republican Right Wingers out there (shudder).

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a white, straight male just hitting my 60th year. I would like to think that I am accepting of all people no matter their religious, sexual, racial, or any other persuasion might be. What people want to do with their lives is no business of mine. I have my hands full trying to take care of the business of my life. Since I have not attained sainthood, perfection or total enlightenment my plate is full just doing the everyday living of my life. Every moment I spend telling someone else what to do with their life is a moment not used in trying to figure out what to do with my life.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I am not interested in or pay attention to what others do. It’s just that my interest is what they do and how I can use what they have done with their consequences – good or bad to make my life better. I happen to believe that life is a totally selfish endeavor and its not that I don’t care about the greater world around me because I do. It’s just that the only REAL way I can make it a better world is for me to make myself a better person. I believe I can change the world by the way I live my life and how that example can affect the small group of people around me that I call my friends, family and loved ones.

I have no idea what anyone else’s path, lessons, life, destiny or whatever happens to be; most of the time I don’t know what those questions are for me. As I have said in another post the path gets narrower and narrower all the time as I march through this life. It is my opinion that if that path does not get narrower and narrower toward some type of enlightenment then people fall off of it. That’s a nice way of saying they die! Not to pick on Wazootyman in the thread he started “My experience last night downtown” but my reading of the incident was that he made it about “them” which from my point-of-view is the more constructive perspective for him might have been, “Why did I choose to do what I did the way I did it?” And, the reason being that the only person he could totally affect was himself. What he did was, again in my opinion, risky behavior but putting yourself at risk is one thing but the karmic consequences of putting other, his girlfriend and her parents, raises the stakes to a level I would not have wanted to take it. To wit – behavior leading to falling off of the path (See definition above for what falling off of the path means to me.)!

As I stated earlier in this missive I am a straight man. I do not go around telling people I am straight, researching and find straight bars, restaurants and/or venues or engaging in any kind of behavior saying to the world at large, “I am straight!” other than here to make a point. So, to get to the point of this conversation for me; gay behavior, lifestyle, actions or whatever anyone wants to call this type of conduct has inherent consequences in this day and age we live in. Whether you accept those consequences is immaterial because they will be meated out to you regardless of your beliefs. So, maybe it’s more important to tell yourself you are gay then to shout that to the world from rooftops because there are consequences for that action. As long as you know and accept that fact you are acting consciously!

Livedog2

Northend

Post Number: 853
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dial....I don't "sniff around" :-)...neither do i date, I'm married.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 577
Posted From: 84.156.71.209
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... I don't think anyone is saying they go out to into public and say, "Hellooooo everyone! I'm Gay!!!!" People are smart. They can figure it out themselves. Fact is, being gay is no "riskier" than being straight. It's about how you live your life, not whether you are gay or not, jez! I am not more at risk of catching an STD than any str8 guy who's married with kids! Unless I partake in risky behaviour, my risk is the same as any other person, gay or str8.

I'm not sure where Livedog2 was going with his post, but it just comes off a little strange. I don't think you mean anything bad, but it comes off patronizing.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comes off as a little strange? That's putting it mildly.

After you cut out all the yammering it comes down to "If you act gay, you've got it coming."

Focusonthed

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm straight too, but to a lot of gay-bashers, "gay behavior" can simply be walking down the street hand-in-hand. Being straight, I do that with women. Should gay people yell things at me, because I'm displaying my straightness?

I know that wasn't the point of your message Livedog2, but that's kind of what it's saying.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gay people SHOULD yell things at you if you are making bad fashion choices, but otherwise you should be left alone.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on April 06, 2006)

Livedog2

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you see in what I said is what is in you!

You can boil down what I said into some simple statement of one sentence with quotation marks, a comma, a period and eight words. But, that ain't it!

What I said is what I said. Now, you can choose to dismiss, criticize, analyze, overlay it to your own life, paraphrase or anything else. It doesn't matter to me because I know what you say is for yourself and vice-versa. But, what I also know is by hearing what you have to say and considering it I will use what you say in another situation in my life that I am not aware of yet.

I cannot learn anything being caught-up in my own head. As an example, I can’t think my way into right action; I can only act my way into right thinking. And, how do I do that? I do that by interacting with others so that I can find the right action to move me into right thinking. That's the dynamics of what is going on in this dialog in this thread. What you do or don't do with your life is of no concern to me because its your life and your just words coming out of the ether! But, those words may or may not help me as I choose.

Coming back to the issue of "Gays" and "Gay Bashing" that we started off with. Just know that there are consequences for your actions just like there are consequences for my actions. It may not change any of your or my behavior but we will have made a conscious choice.

Further, it is my opinion that many gays want the greater society to accept them and their behavior. I say that is bullshit! If you want to be accepted, then accept yourself and don't look for validation outside of yourself. And, if you do, you will be getting exactly what you were looking for, which in many cases, is non-acceptance.

Some will think what I had to say is this. And, that's fine because your're not ready to hear what I have to say! +<(;-)~

clouds

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Further, it is my opinion that many gays want the greater society to accept them and their behavior. I say that is bullshit! If you want to be accepted, then accept yourself and don't look for validation outside of yourself. And, if you do, you will be getting exactly what you were looking for, which in many cases, is non-acceptance.

Holy Mary Mother of God that is some crazy talk.

First of all, assuming gay people might possibly be in a place where they accept themselves, it follows logically that they would behave and live a life being true to this identify. As a result of that, they might possibly be acting gay out in public, perhaps holding the hand of a same-sex partner, for example. Now what you seem to be saying, once I get past the new age doublespeak, is that to the rest of the world this is not acceptable and they should just deal with it.

quote:

Some will think what I had to say is this. And, that's fine because your're not ready to hear what I have to say!

You need to stop talking in circles. Actually, just stop talking.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Livedog...lets assume your wife goes out and screws your neighbor and you get an STD...who is at fault? are you responsible for your consequences because you married her?

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2865
Posted From: 69.220.225.232
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, not because of the act of marriage itself, but there certainly could be some responsibility on the part of the "offended spouse."

'Turning a blind eye to how their spouse acts' comes to mind.

Phil313
Username: Phil313

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.84.176.51
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, gay bashing is acceptable everywhere. I really don't fucking care if anyone "accepts" my lifestyle, but I do fucking care that I don't have the same rights as everyone else.

Livedog2

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ilovedetroit here's a place that can help you out with that anger and hostility, it's even in Detroit:

Catholic Charities
9851 Hamilton Ave
Detroit, MI 4820
(313) 883-2100

But, if you need a gay therapeutic environment I recommend relocation to Houston, TX because they have a great place called:

The Montrose Clinic
215 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77006
(713) 528-5531

Here's their website:

http://www.montroseclinic.org/

They can provide you with all kinds of services to help you through the difficult times related to your uncontrolled moments of anger, rage and hostility. It would be important to get in touch with those feelings because you can get away with unprovoked attacks online where you can hide behind the information super highway but if you did it face-to-face you might get some new lessons you weren’t looking for. Not everyone is evolved enough to give you some slack because of your lack of manners and stupidity.

You have to remember that sometimes when you are out for a quiet swim and surf that sharks can be lurking near by waiting for you to make the wrong move!

shark

Livedog2

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, takes the high road. Cool ...

Livedog2

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High 5 you, Hysteria! You're a real kool cat!!

hihg5cat

Livedog2

Imperfectly

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Holy Mary Mother of God that is some crazy talk.*
Dial, you took the words right out of my head...I was thinking that and then I scrolled down and you said it.
Wow, just wow. I can't even form the words for the thoughts going on in my head its so bizarre.
I read these things and I think that my gayness is way more normal.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 661
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However bad its seems today, there's no question that derogatory use of words like "fag" has been greatly reduced since the 1970s.

When I was a kid in the 1970's "fag" and "gay" were among school boys' most favorite and cherished words. They were used gratuitously in evey other sentence by every kid in my junior high school. Like, your friend cut in front of you in the lunch line, you called him a fag.

This seems to me to have been a universal phenomenon, not just Detroit.

Maybe I hang out today in more polite company, but I just don't hear kids, and certainly not adults, use this language very often. It's become marginalized. You just don't call someone a "fag", say in an office environment. People would think you fell out of a tree.

<== still can't figure out what a metrosexual is.

Livedog2

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dared to comment and give my opinion about a thoughtful topic entitled “Is gay bashing that acceptable in the Detroit area?” I did it in a respectful, straightforward manner without disrespecting anyone. I stayed within my integrity by owning my opinions and stating my truths.

Instead of a thoughtful response to my comments I get snide remarks, left handed insults, judgments about my thoughts and just an all around mean spiritedness from Ilovedetroit, Imperfectly and Dialh4hipster. The answer to not understanding what someone is saying is not “Holy Mary Mother of God that is some crazy talk.” Sometimes it just means you don’t understand what is being said. To make those kinds of judgments shows nothing but ignorance. I at least respect Phil313 because he spoke his angry truth about the fact that, “… I do fucking care that I don’t have the same rights as everyone else.” And, man is he right! You can’t help but hear the clear, unvarnished truth of that statement.

When somebody stays in their integrity and truth the way he did it is beautiful and you can’t help but hear the truth of what he is saying. And, this is the way you get things done. But, I can only assume Ilovedetroit, Imperfectly and Dialh4hipster are not there yet. It’s all a process and anger is part of the process and it comes before resolution. So, I respect your right Ilovedetroit, Imperfectly and Dialh4hipster to be right where you are at. It’s a hard place to be but when the pain of where you’re at is greater than the pain you need to be you’ll either change or die. That’s one of the irrefutable truths of the Universe! You'l either know it when it happens or you'll be dead and never know it!!

bad bays

Livedog2

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest, Livedog2, I was much, much more aggravated with the circuitous and sugar-coated way you led to what did (and still does) appear to be the crux of your message: "Act gay in public and don't be suprised if you get hit with the 'consequences'" (a nice way to say bashed).

Now what adds to the annoyance is that you THEN get all worked up because people come back and say, in essence, "your view is not acceptable." And it certainly isn't.

I find it ironic that you talk about Phil313 and hearing the "clear, unvarnished truth" of his statement when you need a backhoe to get to the half-baked idea buried in the middle of all your mumbo-jumbo. And you can whine about "taking the high road" all you want, but the fact of the matter is, you came into this thread, answered the question "Is gay bashing acceptable in the Detroit area" with a "YES, actually, I think gay bashing should probably be expected if people act gay" and then cried when people jumped down your throat.

The truth is, Ilovedetroit, Imperfectly, myself and all the other gay posters in this thread are all in the place they need to be: gay, proud of it, willing to stand up for our right to be who we are WHEREVER we are, and not willing to let some new-age wannabe-wordsmith get away with some crazy talk telling us how we should live.

Livedog2

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Dialh4hipster! I'll take that compliment! You got what you were looking for. Just don't think you can spew your brand of crap without getting an opposing or any point of view -- old age, new age or any age. I have many gay friends that act like responsible human beings not wanting to hide behind some “Nellie” shield of Gayness and crying for the whole world to witness them ready and willing to fall on some pyrrhic verse of a non-existent Gay Anthem.

You have earned your way into the Gay Martyrs Hall of Fame -- Invisible Wing of Whiners. Would you like some cheese with your Whine? This has turned into a funny and fun exercise. I am very amused at your attempt at self-righteous indignation. It’s easy for you to pull this kind of stuff on this thread but I’ll bet you run along the streets of Detroit with your cheeks as tight as a bull’s-ass-in-fly-season looking over your shoulder for Gay Bashers behind every tree. Ooooooohhhhhh mmyyyyy gggoooossshhh!

Respect -- Earned, Never Given!

earned

Livedog2 Rocks! +<(:-)~

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAMN PROUD OF WHO I AM! And the rest of you who disagree can go f**k yourselves with a sharp object. I get tired of sugar coating things. I would prefer to more radical...niceness only gets you so far.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Livedog2 reveals his true colors.

quote:

I have many gay friends that act like responsible human beings not wanting to hide behind some “Nellie” shield of Gayness and crying for the whole world to witness them ready and willing to fall on some pyrrhic verse of a non-existent Gay Anthem

First of all, acting "Nellie" (it's "nelly," actually) does not preclude someone being a responsible human being. Gay people don't have to "act straight" just so straight people like you feel comfortable.

And I seriously doubt you have many, if any, gay friends. Perhaps you KNOW some gay people, but I doubt they are friends.

quote:

It’s easy for you to pull this kind of stuff on this thread but I’ll bet you run along the streets of Detroit with your cheeks as tight as a bull’s-ass-in-fly-season looking over your shoulder for Gay Bashers behind every tree. Ooooooohhhhhh mmyyyyy gggoooossshhh!

Well, you got me there.

I would be happy to meet you to discuss any of this in person, perhaps at an FSC sometime, or otherwise. I have no problem articulating my position on this, and there are several forumers who can vouch for me in regards to that.

Frankly, I think you are the one hiding behind the internet.

Oh, and if you reply again, please be sure to post some cute little graphic at the end. That's my favorite part of your posts, really lends credence to your arguments.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - Watch out for Ilovedetroit. He'll cut you!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt if that limp wristed pseudo-marine aka livedog even knows how to use a knife other than a steak kife to feed his fat gut. People like him and his kind truly make me sick...move to Texas you bonehead w/ your cracker wife...Michigan is better off w/o you.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now now, let's not get carried away ILD.

Unless you have actually met him and your description is accurate, in which case, carry on.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2298
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ild, quit gray-bashing ... :-)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA Ok Rustic I will leave the old narrow minded fart alone. :-) I am wearing my new Kenneth Cole suit today so I feel good (who gay is that)!

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 67.63.232.195
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole premise of this question is pretty assinine. Detroit, like everywhere else in this country and on the planet, has people who have a dim view of homosexuals. It is not as if Detroit, as a community, has decided it is "OK" to bash gay people.

In the right situation, a gay person could be heckled in San Fransico. Virtually every "group" of people in the world are ridiculed at one time or another. As a white Christian conservative, I am bashed by people who claim to be my friends. No big deal. I have been harrassed by many people "of color" while growing up in the Detroit area, but I don't base my opinion of the entire black community on these incidents.

So in short, I wouldn't stress about it.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman says...

"I have been harrassed by many people "of color" while growing up in the Detroit area,"

I have actually lived in Detroit for MANY years and have never been bashed once by a person of color. What are you doing to get harrassed "many" times?

This sounds like a sweeping generalization to me.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the point Perfectgentleman is making. But I think there is a difference in someone getting harrassed for who they are, intrinsically, and what they believe.

I honestly don't think either is right, and I have found that you can have great friendships with people who are/believe differently than you do. However I don't think the premise of this thread is "assinine" (it's asinine, but thanks for the pun), because it's a problem here, moreso than in some other big cities, absolutely.

I'm not saying it isn't a problem everywhere except here. I am saying that attitudes here are considerably less enlightened than other places I have lived and visited.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And DialH has been around! Believe you, me!

:-)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 67.38.81.149
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog, I don’t know if you were stating (or have in the past stated) you were/are a Marine. bit of a casual lurker on this site and I haven’t followed this board close enough to know everyone’s backstory… but, your posting of that Marine bumper sticker as an exclamation point to your post bugged the hell out of me whether you’re a Marine or not. I’m a former active duty Marine (94-99). Most of that time I served as a Marine Security Guard. (Embassy Security for those who aren’t familiar). The MSG program is highly selective with full FBI background investigations, months of training…etc. Once on the program, even the most minor issues can cause one to be RFC’d (relieved for cause) back to the States. Basically what I am trying to say is that I served with distinction (I have the NAMs, NUCs, and CirComs to prove it) in one of the most sought after positions the Marines has to offer. The reason I’m spouting off part of my resume and the reason your bumper sticker pic & quote riled me up is because I’m gay.

Of course, while in the Marines, I was in the closet, and it wasn’t by choice. I loved being in the Corps and had entertained the idea of returning to it after law school as a JAG. I was a bit naïve when I joined. I believed in all that crap about standing up for the little guy, fighting the good fight, honor, courage & commitment …blah blah blah. I figuring being gay wouldn’t matter and I could serve honorably, be closeted, and be happy. I witnessed enough “suspected” guys getting fucked with and fucked over by people like you to know that it just wasn’t possible. Apparently I “acted” straight enough not to be under “homo suspicion”. I guess that is all I need to do in your eyes. Pretend to be something I’m not, blend in, and everything will be ok. I couldn’t deal with all the hypocrisy, so I gave up on the Marines.

I believe the bumper sticker slogan that respect is earned and not given is one of life’s truisms. However, if I understand what you are saying, as an “out” gay guy, I am suddenly and without any other reason than being gay, unworthy of basic respect. I’m unworthy because I may actually want to hold my partner’s hand in public. Apparently simple expressions in public are not “earning” the respect of total fucking strangers. And I deserve getting coke cans whipped at my head from passing cars.

I have no idea why I’m ranting away here. I’ve made my piece with the Marine Corps’ “don’t ask don’t tell” ridiculousness. I believe most Marines are better than that and I can’t get stressed out over political things that I can’t control. I also understand that it’s pretty silly to sit here and rant on an anonymous message board to people whose opinions are obviously not going to change. But, I can’t sit here and read your rationalizations of gay bashing and your implications that anyone who is concerned about it is merely whining and not say something….especially when you use Marine Corps propaganda to aid your point. Let’s just say it touched a nerve. I guess (if you were a Marine) I just want you to know that there were, and are, plenty of homos serving in the Marines and we all fucking hate being treated like second class citizens by people like you who just want us to act “normal” and quit “whining”.

Danny

Post Number: 3927
Posted From: 141.217.174.221
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One those Gay-folks are in the military. " DON'T ASK DON'T TELL!"

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Ilovedetroit:

Do you really think you need to be "doing anything" to get harassed? I suppose we should question minorities who have been harassed as to what they were "doing" to deserve that treatment.

You seem to be saying that I am either lying about my experience or somehow deserved it. Based on your logic, the reputation that Detroit has worldwide for being unsafe is totally false. I suppose that is why 100's of thousands of people have left the city, including many black people. They are all imagining things.

Or maybe you are implying that white people are the only ones capable of being racist? Either way, just because you have not been personally accosted does not mean it is not happening. I have never been a victim of a car-jacking, but I know that it goes on. I was also clear that I do not judge any group of people based on the actions of a few, black, white, brown or whatever.

This very message board chronicles dozens of incidents by people who have been harassed or have been victims of crime, did they all do something to cause it? It is sad that this behavior is being justified by saying the victim "deserved it."

Hysteria

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, Livedog2 is trying to say that all actions have consequences. Both good and bad. We can't control what other are going to do or how they will act.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman, you are new so I should warn you - on this message board, the victim is usually to blame if it interferes with people's rosy view of Detroit.

Shot on Belle Isle? You had it coming. Assaulted on a street corner? The perps must have known the victim. And on and on.

Hysteria, Livedog2 is saying being GAY has its consequences.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dialh4hipster, I am starting to understand now...

Imperfectly

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the term "action" is being thrown around a lot.
what does that really even mean?
you should not be punished for being who you are, and if just living openly is asking for it, well that sucks and isn't fair.
i will admit i do not hold hands with my partner in public, or show any affection, do i do that because i don't want to ? no. unfortunately i still feel i have to conform. imagine walking down the street with your spouse and not being able to touch, or try getting a place together and wondering what people think when its one bedroom.
its not easy, its not a choice, and being who you are isnt an action.
disagree with someone that's fine, i dont understand the need to get married and have kids, but my closest friends are married with kids and i love them. not everyone has to live the same life but everyone deserves respect.

oh and yeah whats with the marines thing ?
my brother is a marine , served in Iraq, so i'm not sure what that was supposed to imply ?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only EVER felt safe once with holding the hand of my loved one in public and that was in London, England. I have never even thought about it in the US. I don't trust people here...someone might just pull out a gun and shoot you and I mean anywhere Ferndale, Detroit, LA, NYC etc. I hope for the day when people just won't care -and just like you on the merits of who you are as a person not what you do in bed.

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 63.117.185.99
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg- livedog sounds like my ethics teacher let loose on an internet forum. scary!

i have been called a fag more in royal oak than i have in the corridor- people got better things to worry 'bout down here i guess.

Sknutson

Post Number: 510
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly how many of us fags are on here?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, this is really gay (not in a good way) but I made a list once. Don't judge - I was blowing off work! There were like 27 or so that I counted.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 141.211.114.43
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog claims that his hands are full, and life is a selfish endeavor. He seeks to improve the world through his innermost circle of friends and family. This gay-bashing thread is about something that happens in public, and is outside of the selfish endeavor of what sounds to me like a “me generation” life. You are aware that these things go on, but you have other things to worry about. I don’t know if anyone else had these thoughts, but that mentality to me is too similar to what happened in Germany with the Jews, or whites that continued to ignore the inequities brought forth during the Civil Rights Movement. You either help to stop such things, or through your inaction, you help to perpetuate and condone such actions.

We need to call others out on their bias, when we see it. It takes great courage to do so at times. It is not comfortable. At times we risk our own safety to do so.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 84.156.66.46
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhoh... DialH has a "list"!

*mental note: be nice to DialH*

Rms

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do feel safer in downtown Detroit than I do in the burbs. As others have said, I think folks downtown have other things to worry about. And our pop culture of the last 10 years alone has certainly helped expose us as real living breathing beings. We have lives and jobs, and mortgages……not just discos. I think people are less threatened by gays today because they have been exposed to them, albeit at many times in stereotyped ways (Queer as Folk, Will and Grace, etc.).

Livedog said that he was never overtly exhibiting his heterosexuality. Ha ha ha ha. Brother, you’ve never sat on the other side of the fence. You have no idea how often you actually do. When you have to think about every intimate touch of your partner in public….when you have to jump through hoops to make sure that you can visit your partner in the hospital after surgery….This is not whiney. It’s simply ridiculous is what it is. You “think” that you aren’t overt about screaming your sexuality, but until you have been oppressed, you are clueless how the dozens of simple things that you do in a day that the rest of has have to think about. We have heterosexuality forced pretty strongly at us from billboard ads, television, even tax laws, ….always reminding you….you’re different. Or more accurately, we’re going to treat you differently. One day, I’d like to just get up and brush my teeth…..like a human……..not a gay human. I honestly don’t think about being gay that much. But it seems that the rest of the world does.

Uh...oh? I for one an happy to be on DialH's list.

Sknutson

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog: Have you ever referred to your wife or girlfriend with a gender-neutral pronoun? Everytime you refer to "her" you are, in fact, mentioning your sexuality. You just don't realize it.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rms-nicely said.

Rms

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that example Sknutson. There are so many simple things in day to day life that just say, "I'm straight", and most heterosexuals don't even notice it.....or dare I say, take for granted?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hipster - I am gay, so is Quinn, itsjeff and Gogo, Duo is a big ole queen, you are gay. We keep adding up "gay to the world all the boys and girls"....

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2468
Posted From: 70.237.10.56
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" once again you are not credible in regards to anything. Funny that your righteous indignation on this matter didn't stop you from claiming that a female Detroit media figure was "really a man". (The rumor that you attempted to spread was so outrageous that it was picked up by local media). Nor did it stop you with your varying claims about your own gender, race, residence, political affiliations, occupation, income level, event attendance, etc.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - You are an idiot...hope the media picks up that.

Livedog2

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen asshole, you chose the Marines they didn’t choose you! You knew what the deal was before you enlisted. If you didn’t like the rules before you went in then you shouldn’t have volunteered. And, if you found out new information after you went in then you should have been a man and lived up to the rules until your commitment was up. I’ve got no sympathy for your bitching, moaning, complaining and whining about how you “witnessed enough ‘suspected’ guys getting fucked with and fucked over by people like you to know that it just wasn’t possible.” People like you always have an excuse for why things didn’t go your way. It’s always about somebody else. It’s never about taking personal responsibility for your own life.

You make lots of claims about being in the “Marine Corps, going to law school, going back in the Corps as a JAG, served with distinction, and a Marine Security Guard.” With all the bellyaching you’re doing I think you’re a fraud and a fake. I don’t think you did any of those things. I'll bet you weren't even in the Corps. You probably sat at your computer Googling all that information you came up with. Any real Marine wouldn’t dishonor themselves and the Corps with the kind of disgraceful ranting at someone they don’t even know a thing about the way you did. Shame on you for dishonoring my Corps! I have 48 comrades-in-arms on The Wall from Mike Company. I served two tours in Vietnam and I have three purple hearts. I didn't do it as a "big shot" with a fancy title and security clearance, I did it as an 0300 Basic Infantryman. I did it with distinction -- I lived to fight another day. Who the fuck are you to call me down for anything? Well, you're nobody!

I said what I said on this thread in a non-accusatory, non-threatening and non-judgmental manner. I stayed within my own integrity which not one of you squirmy dogs even understands. And, all I got back was bitchy, nasty, spiteful, mean spirited, vicious, whining and crying from a bunch of thin skinned, over-sensitive boys, not men. Do you think that just because a few immature sissies try to gang-up on me to try to intimidate me I’m going to shut-up? Well, you’re wrong if you think that! I went back and read my posts to see if I said anything out of line to hurt anyone’s feelings, take liberties, make judgments or any mean spiritedness. A real man looks at himself first in a situation of discord to see what their part in the disagreement is. I can find no fault in what I had to say and the way I said it. And, not you or any of your “straight bashers” is going to stop me from saying whatever I have to say, whenever I want to say it.

I said it once and I’ll say it again, if you people want to be accepted then give yourself your own acceptance. The world and I don’t owe you a fucking thing. Just because you are gay doesn’t entitle you to anything. I’m straight and I don’t expect anything from anyone other than what I go out there to work for. You bastards are all mad because the “greater society” has voted and they have said, “We don’t accept your lifestyle.” Well guess what? Society or anyone in the society doesn’t have to accept you or provide you with any self-esteem glue for your fragile psyches. Acceptance and self-esteem are inside jobs not outside jobs and they come from you not me. If you are looking for some kind of validation outside of yourself to be happy then you are all going to continue to be the unhappy mother fuckers you already are! Furthermore, I don’t have to say things in a way that you like. Here’s a news flash, I wasn’t put on this earth to please you!

Furthermore, this is all a smokescreen for trying to make it about me and some big nebulous thing called society that won’t accept you. This is about you and your life and how you chose to deal with it. When you are part of a sub-culture that is not accepted by the greater society you think you have to hunker down for the siege mentality necessary for martyrdom. You’re angry because you think that society doesn’t like or accept you. Guess what? You are right – in general society doesn’t accept or like you. But, guess what again? Society or anyone in society doesn’t have to like or accept you. We all got problems and challenges in this world that we have to deal with. Pointing one finger at everybody else doesn’t get it. If you will notice that when you are pointing one finger at someone else you’ve got four fingers pointing at yourself.

So, Higgs1634, if you were in the Corps, act like it. Semper Fi, do or die! Once a Marine, always a Marine. And, if not, fuck you and your lying words. You had your say and now I’ve had mine. Lastly, if I want to put a Marine Corps bumper sticker or any Corps emblem on my posts I don’t need your or anyone else’s permission to do it!

marine

Metrodetguy hit that other idiot right between the eyes so clearly that it was beautiful. And, he/she/it doesn’t deserve a word of recrimination from me because he knows what he is; a liar, troublemaker and a fake! Furthermore, forget all the other “butt boys” that sing with the choir!

In case this was too hard for any of you to understand – kiss my ass, you candy-asses! This is called Life 101 -- get on with it for yourselves!! Your bullying tactics will have to be used elsewhere!!! These are my final words on the subject!!!!

Livedog2

corps

Imperfectly

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since those were his final words, and clearly he is a man of his word, i have no problem saying thank god no one has to listen to him anymore !
I think its clear when anyone refers to people as "you people" they are bigoted.
Now as I sit here I am getting pissed. How dare you. You just have no clue. None at all.
And what is a straight basher ? That make me laugh out loud.
Btw- I'm not a boy you double talking, mean, clueless, passive agressive asshole.
OH! remember no more words from you !

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I figured it out! Livedog2 is a parody concocted by the writers of "Strangers With Candy." It's the only answer that makes any sense. Look at these quotes from the show and note the similarities:

quote:

Jerri: Maybe it's time to stop not doing what you pretended you can do and can't, and start doing the thing that you can't do, but can no longer pretend that you can.

------------

Jerri: Wow, it must be nice to hope for the thing you wish to want.

------------

Mr. Jellineck: I’m not pushing you away. I’m pulling me towards myself.

------------

Principal Blackman: In order to enhance your individuality to conformity, I’m instituting a dress code based on your own requests that I imagine you would have requested had I asked for your requests.

------------

Jerri: I hope you're all happy, keeping Alan off the team. Couldn't you, for once, open your minds and hearts and hear something that he couldn't see? I, for one, am glad that Alan is blind, so he can't see what, I am so sad to say, you can't hear.

------------

Mr. Noblet: All right, anyone who doesn't not want to avoid passing the midterm exam, raise your hand now. Okay. Those of you who raised your hands will fail, as you requested.

------------

Cult member: Jerri, this may be your first last best chance to have any hope for a fresh start at a new beginning for the first time again.

------------

Mr. Noblet: This has been a real rollercoaster of a year and I’m sure you think that I hate you. But I want you to know that I hate you.

Livedog2:

quote:

All you see in what I said is what is in you!

------------

What I said is what I said. Now, you can choose to dismiss, criticize, analyze, overlay it to your own life, paraphrase or anything else. It doesn't matter to me because I know what you say is for yourself and vice-versa. But, what I also know is by hearing what you have to say and considering it I will use what you say in another situation in my life that I am not aware of yet.

------------

Some will think what I had to say is this. And, that's fine because your're not ready to hear what I have to say!

------------

It’s a hard place to be but when the pain of where you’re at is greater than the pain you need to be you’ll either change or die. That’s one of the irrefutable truths of the Universe! You'll either know it when it happens or you'll be dead and never know it!!

You be the judge.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 579
Posted From: 69.246.74.205
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Livedog2 is Jerri Blank? Cool, 'cause she is hot.

Okay, Amy Sedaris is hot, not Jerri Blank.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look I found a pic of Livedog2! Now we know why is so bitchy!

Gay Marine

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 35.11.161.238
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is stupid.

As a white male, if I decided to walk down the street wearing a neon pink, baby phat track suit in sparkling red semi-heels, people would most likely look and stare at me, and I would be aware of this before I would put that type of outfit on. That's because white men usually don't wear that type of outfit.

I would be going against socially constructed, meaningless trends.

If I did wear that, it would not give ANYONE the right to 'bash' me in any way.

I respect, but think that looney toons t-shirts look rediculuous on middle-aged men and women, but I sure as hell would not go out of my way to make them feel as if they were morally wrong for doing so.

I mean, in the end, does a "limp wrist" really matter?

Come on people, stop the hate.

Vote NO on the MCRI, November 2006.

Hysteria

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, people have their opinions and that's that. You cannot change other people ... ever. If you feel like you were treated as an outcast, it has more to do with the person that made you feel that way than with you. As I said before in this thread, you cannot control OTHER PEOPLE.

Steelworker

Post Number: 633
Posted From: 68.73.3.111
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You cant change racist but they are not allowed to scream hate at someone, possibly intimidating them. Why is it in your mind okay to scream hate if its about possible homosexuality. Oh I forgot the law in michigan allows sexual orientation discrimination, but not racially, weight, or age.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homosexuality is the last bastion you can pick on. I can be fired just for being gay in Michigan and I have no recourse under the law. We don't want special rights just equal rights. That is it! But these fools pull out there Bible and point to some obscure quote about it being morally wrong (even though there are hundred of things in the Bible about heterosexuals)...remember this from a book that is over 2000 years old that we re-written in the 11th and 17th centuries by a bunch of old wealthy white guys who didn't like women either.

Steelworker

Post Number: 634
Posted From: 68.73.3.111
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not gay but I feel strongly about this issue. People gay bash even if you dont "look" or act gay. Just to comment on perception that only people who look or act gay get bashed.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1454
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can be fired just for being gay in Michigan and I have no recourse under the law.

Did you know that I could be fired for being a straight person and have no recourse under the law as well...

You could also be fired for being being too nice, better looking than your boss, working too efficiently, being too good at your job, previous relationship with your bosses daughter (or son), etc.

You can get fired for any reason, as long as it is not protected.

I agree that sexual orientation should be a protected class. But it is not. Neither are any of the above reasons - most of which are not fair as well.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5776
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<----doubts daburch will be fired for being too nice or too good-looking.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can be fired for anything at all in Michigan, especially if you are not in a union. We are an "at will" society at this point. I am required to sign an agreement stating that I can be let go without cause at every job I have been hired at for years.

Dabrich is correct. Discrimination comes in all shapes and sizes, it is a fact of life and no amount of new rules or legislation will ever get rid of it, especially when your employer isn't even required to have an excuse for firing you. Get used to it, move on, and find something better where you are more appreciated for what you can offer.

I am a little amazed that all of these "groups" that have all of these grievances were somehow under the impression that life and the workplace were fair and free of all discrimination. We are all discriminated against for various reasons throughout our lives, the important thing is how you react to it and not letting some asshole who doesn't like you define you and bring you down.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on April 11, 2006)

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on April 11, 2006)

Dabirch

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

<----doubts daburch will be fired for being too nice or too good-looking.

Little itsjeff is getting a new name...

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5778
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's "asshole," you're too late.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You used to be soooo nice.

Are those paint fumes getting to you?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.