Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Whats up with "The Madison" by Comerica Park? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sparty
Username: Sparty

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it might open opening day?

what the hell is it? It sure was open super bowl week...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7140
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are looking for a permanent tenant still. During SB there was still a lot of work to be finished.

Maybe there is a tenant and the place will permanently be the Madison but I thought that was just a name slapped together for SB.

I would love to see what the space looks like as it has a ton of potential.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, back in one of the SB threads, someone on here said it was going to be permanent, following completion of renovations. That same week, it was empty, with a for sale sign on the window.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 198.185.18.207
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just walked by and it is far from finished. In fact, there is a sign on the window that states: "Bar for Sale/Lease" I doubt it will be open by Opening Day.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No tenant yet the retail space still not rented according to its listing

http://www.cpix.net/jsp/listin gs/listing_overview.jsp?listin gID=540265

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The construction of the building isn't even done yet. They just finished putting up the SE wall a few days ago. It will probably be a while before any permanent tenants move in.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 69.81.52.28
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the temporary Super Bowl bars, anybody know when Cliff Bell's will open back up?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opening day. I spoke to someone at the sight yesterday. The street level facade looks finished now and I think they were getting ready to wash the exterior of the rest of the building.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1025
Posted From: 24.221.73.42
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice one, smart ass. :P So when is opening day? :P

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opening Day is April 10th. You must not have tickets.

www.detroittigers.com

Dmart
Username: Dmart

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 68.84.183.222
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, There always seamed to be an Opening Day party there the last couple years regardless if there was only a half shell of a building up.

It would really piss me off, that the Post (Wheelers) wouldn't dump any money into that place after they started it, and then let it sit, and have the audacity to throw opening day parties. I always wished a Code Official would ticket there ass.

I wrote them an e-mail bitching about the lack of progress, pretty much ripping on them for tearing down a building, and ripping the Madison Theater Apart, then letting it sit. I heard there was some money issues, but I don't give a shit. There opening huge bars all across Michigan, while they let this one sit, and actually made the building look worse than when it was just vacant.

They e-mailed me back, saying how much they have always supported Detroit and how their downtown bar is an Icon.

Yeah, open up million dollar bars all across Michigan, but you can't sink a frickin dime into the Downtown Post in the last decade (atleast). The place is a dump!

That is a prime location, I can't beleive anybody hasn't snatched it up yet.

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 192.152.100.150
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Dmart, the Post (Wheelers) do not own the Madison and have not for over a year. The construction project was loaded with minefields that could not be overcome and resulted in the dissolution of the ownership group.
The 408 Congress Post is an icon. If you feel that it is a dump, that's because it is. But as the old saying goes, if it's good enough for Gretzky, it should be good enough for you.
Each Post has its' own soul. Downtown will always be the original and I love it there.
There is absolutly no reason to dump money into the joint. It is packed after a hockey game and acts as a clubhouse for the remainder of the non event nights.
Remember that when Cobo Joes was charging a $100.00 cover charge and the Anchor was at $40, the Post refused to take advantage of the Detroiters and out of towners that got them where they are today and kept their cover at $3.00.
Every business has made mistakes and for the record, there were only 2 opening day parties there. Everyone involved with the project wanted to make a go of it. It just didn't work out. Just ask the city. However, a lot of forumers want to put the Wheelers in the same bracket as the Mike I clan.
Buy your own bar, give er a go.

Dmart
Username: Dmart

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.84.183.222
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote them about 3 years ago on this, so at the time they still owned the property, had stopped construction for quite a while, because of the unsurmountable obstacles, and opened bars up in Auburn Hills, East Lansing, Ferndale, etc.

The dedicated to Detroiter's speil kind of falls on deaf hears, when all of their recent investments are outside of Detroit.

"The construction project was loaded with minefields that could not be overcome and resulted in the dissolution of the ownership group."

Yeah, the minefields were so overwhelming, that someone was able to nearly complete the construction in less than a years time and deemed it a good enough investment to do so, while it sat stagnant for three years prior.

If they charged $5 cover, the place would sit empty.

For the record a "couple" means two, sometimes three if your nuts.

I went to the one in Ferndale a couple of times the first Summer it opened, it was a great place if you liked hanging out with meatheads who want to fight if they get touched in a way overcrowded bar, and there's always the aesthetically pleasing used gum collection lining the sidewalk in front.

Charming

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 192.152.100.150
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is obvious that you have formulated an opinion. I won't try and sway that.
However, your post is riddled with inaccuracies and misstatements of facts.
Ferdale was opened in 1997
Auburn Hills was opened in 2002
East Lansing has a Post Bar Name but is Not owned by the Wheelers (Much like the Post East and the Dearborn Post.

Good luck to the new owners when it is decided that the Brodrick has to come down because it is falling down.

They do charge cover on Hockey nights. And no the place is not empty.

I am not, and have never considered myself a meathead.

Please inform us when you are opening the doors to your joint in the city.
I would even settle for having you tell me where your business is located within the city.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 887
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, their is a Post in Clinton Township, but it is owned by the same people that own Andiamo's.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 537
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Broderick Tower, there's a big new sign on it announcing its redevelopment. Anybody have any news on it? I have my doubts about the Broderick falling down. All of the photos I have seen of it inside and out and from walking by indicate on the surface that it is still quite structurally sound. However, if I'm missing something, please point it out.

Eric

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a sign out there for months mentioning JC Beal and Kraemer Design doing the work. That sign or did another one replace it?

(Message edited by eric on April 01, 2006)

E_hemingway

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looked like a newer and bigger one, I think. I was pretty drunk when I walked past it last night. The old had become detatched.

Kraemerdesigngroup
Username: Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.216.103.230
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway and Eric - the redevelopment of the Broderick Tower is on target. Kraemer Design Group is 80% with the construction documents.

This past week, surveyors and testing engineers were on site. A complex study is onging to determine the feasibility of putting in a tunnel to the Grand Circus Garage.

Next week may see testing engineers on swing stages reviewing the skin on the tower (keep your fingers crossed that nothing terrible is discovered).

If everything goes as expected, construction should start early this fall.

Eric

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, good to hear things are progressing. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed that nothing bad is found

E_hemingway

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kraemerdesigngroup. Just a shot in the dark, but are there any updates about when work will start on the Detroit Life Building?

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Madison is full of people enjoying the Tiger opener -- Budweiser and Buddy's Pizza. Looks like the Superbowl down there again!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 68.79.97.231
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just another temporary thing or can we actually count on it being open?

Speaking of Buddy's Pizza-why the hell don't they open a joint downtown already?

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess it's temporary - but at least the owners (or someone) is using the space when they can until a permanent tenant is signed.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 66.208.225.165
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if they rent the space for events (assuming it's not permanent, or even if it is). We're thinking about hosting a party downtown with a band this summer. And that would be a great location. If anyone knows, that would be helpful.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.