Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » JoAnn Watson - why do we let her get away with the things she says? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching a recording of yesterdays City Council's public hearing regarding puting the request to designate boundaries for the Newberry Hall Neighborhood Enterprize Zone on the Council Agenda this wednesday. Watson repeatedly demanded to be told how many city of detroit, and african american workers would be employed on the project. Both the Planning & Development rep., and a Co-Owner/Developer of the project tried to explain that sub-contractors were not yet selected, but that the information would be provided when the developer came back to receive the actual NEZ certificate (as is required by state law), not at this time when only the boundaries are being approved. A representative mis spoke and implied that some contractors were already selected and then Watson accused the group of lying to her and misleading the Council. She whet so far as to scold the P&D rep for speaking out of turn and told him to let her do her job "otherwise he wouldn't be sititng at the table, rather, it would probably be some irishman." In addition, Watson went on and on about the city not publishing the public hearing in the Michigan Citizen "the state's largest black newspaper." I agree that the notice should go in this paper to reach that community, but she had to ephasize over and over that it was the "states largest black newspaper." Almost every point, or comment she made was about race. Now I understand sticking up for the city's residents, but why does everything have to be based on color? I haven't watched one of these meetings in a long time but it just amazed me how rude the council was to everyone (developers, city staff, everyone) who was at the table to answer their questions. Ken and Shelia Cockrel were the only two I heard give any respect to the presenters.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1346
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Watson repeatedly demanded to be told how many city of detroit, and african american workers would be employed on the project.

This is what she always says. I think she dozes off at city council meetings and then when her head falls over from sleeping and wakes her up with a big jerk she yells something to that effect out of habit.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*shaking head* Why do people keep voting her in? Why is SHE allowed to make racist comments? She is like cancer to Detroit

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5705
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss-cleo, if I pay for it, would you please move the hell away from here?

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 69.212.213.40
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmao @ itsjeff

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one day I watched the city council deliberate over emergency snow removal contracts, for some unknown reason ms. watson piped up and said how she was born into one of the 19 black hospitals in the city....wtf does that have to do with snow removal?!

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, I cant get away from here fast enough, by the fall I will be gone.........but really, why the hostility, you approve of her remarks?

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 64.118.149.50
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People we have to understand that Watson probably late 50s or early 60s lived in the city when racial tensions were at an all time high. So her basis of thinking as many of the council members are from the 60s, 70s and 80s Detroit. Now that Detroit is turning around and becoming a NY and Chicago type city where diversity will happen. They have to become diverse in there thinking. Hopefully soon!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7079
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not approve of her remarks as they only take away from the discssion. Much like Miss Cleo.

Miss Cleo - the JoAnn Watson of the forum.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5707
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo, it's not that I don't take issue with Ms. Watson, it's just that you seem to soil every thread that you post in.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, Detroiternthemist, I don't feel you can use that argument in this case. It is not the 50s and 60s, not by a long shot, that is no excuse for her.

It isn't acceptable for "white folks" to endorse racism, so it shouldn't be acceptable for "black folks" to endorse "reverse racism" either.

She is an idiot.

(Message edited by focusonthed on March 28, 2006)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's jerks like her on the council that give the city a bad name. Her attitude is a big turnoff.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1688
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched yesterdays meeting because I wanted to watch the discussion about the BC and ended up watching a few more hearing. The best was Watson and Jones kissing the teamsters reps ass even though the guy didn’t do anything he was just there agreeing with the man that wanted to add a few jobs.

Jfried, I saw that part of the meeting too and that happens every time anyone white wants to develop anything in Detroit.

We should all get used to Watson because she will be on the council until she dies. Her type of cluelessness plays very well in the city. The only way she is off the council is if she decides to run for mayor.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, you just cant handle the ugly truth about your beloved city.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5708
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I live and work here. You have nothing to teach me about Detroit that I don't already know.

For that matter, your only contribution to this forum seems to be to whine like a little bitch whenever possible. When you finally move to Hooterville, will you continue to post from there? Or will you charm the locals up there, instead?

Jt1

Post Number: 7082
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

lol, you just cant handle the ugly truth about your beloved city.

lol, you just can't handle the ugly truth about yourself.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very mature, and Detroit is full of more of you you say? What a great place, who wouldnt want to live amoung insulting people? YOu fit right in with Watson, congrats!

Jt1

Post Number: 7087
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

very mature

Is that the same as "I know you are but what am I". Given your body of work on this forum you have no room to call someone immature.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2175
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff- Honey, honey you are going to curl your hair with all that steam coming out of your ears! You sound like me :-)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5714
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

{{shudder}}

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1085
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there no legal reprimand for members of the clownsil for

A. being openly racist at meetings, selectivly choosing developers based on race and their employment practices, also based on race. Using racial slurs (If I can be chewed out for something that I dont even think counts as that, then an elected public official should be hanged) and other racial connotation during debates, and belittling developers because of their race.

B. Wasting the clownsils time to do business by going off topic at random repeatedly.

C. Misusing city (public) funds for their own benefit to bloat their friends and family benefits plan, recreational use of city owned vehicles, vacations, training trips to Cabo San Lucas, and other financial abuses that would land an entire fortune 500 company in Jail..

Is there no check and balance that could ban these people... or atleast keep them out of the public realm?

If Jackie Curry can be railroaded by the media to expose her leachings, why cant members of clownsil?

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cause Detroit aint no plantation and whitey aint gonna tell them coons how to run their city

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3447
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole region is stuck on stupid. While Detroit elects a few like Barbara Rose Collins and JoAnn Watson, Oakland County continues to re-elect LBP. There is no compromise, no middle in greater Metro Detroit, and it will continue to tank in almost every way until it finds a middle. In a democracy, people deserve the government they vote for. I use to take offense when I'd hear that said, but not anymore, and especially with Southeast Michigan, the most dysfunctional major metropolitan area in the United States, and probably in all of the First World. Actually, it's the whole region is operating on Third World politics, in a First World country.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 683
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason I thought Miss_cleo was Black. guess not.

See ya!

Jsmith9423
Username: Jsmith9423

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why single out "Joann" when you have 8 other clowns to choose from? When Detroit is completely broke (which will be real soon, remember Kwame wants to borrow more money), the council will blame Engler, then Granholm, then maybe Kwame and his momma, then Bush, then Marty Moroun, then Mother Theresa, etc.... I feel if we don't get wards/districts ASAP, Detroit will turn into a live version of the movie "The Warriors".

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3449
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just really invalidated yourself, there, by grouping all council members into the incompetant camp. The Detroit City Council is a body just as diverse in opinion and ideas as any other council, all with different personalities. The body as a whole may be ineffective, but there is no way you can paint everyone with one broad-brush stroke. JoAnn is and individual, and a very controversial one, and one that most city council's across this country have. You should really feel foolish for trying to say that every Detroit City Council member is like Councilwoman Watson, when that is obviously not the truth. What a great first post.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 954
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich-
Is it that she's controversial or racist? My impression is that most take issue with her blatent racism, not just that she's got some wacky ideas.

Anyway, I wouldn't know. The worst thing is that I have this feeling that if more comptetent people ran for office, they probably wouldn't win.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2178
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is more controversial than racist. JoAnn Watson has actually always been one of the strongest supporters of the under-dog. She is VERY friendly and supportive of the metro gay community white & black. I have seen her give loving hugs to many people white and black. She is doing something that many have not over the years she is fighting for black people. I may not agree with her on everything and she can appear to be obstructionist at times but she is not a racist.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is doing something that many have not over the years she is fighting for black people.

oh bullshit

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 506
Posted From: 69.216.136.224
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a racist idiot.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1843
Posted From: 66.2.148.45
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is a huge embarassment to the city, just as the buffoons we have in the white house are huge embarassment to the country,
But at least Lonnie Bates (and John Ashcroft) are gone!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 574
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't live in the city so have never seen the CC meetings on TV. But I have to say I have had numerous encounters with Joann Watson and she has always been friendly and knowledgeable and supportive of the efforts of everyday people.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3560
Posted From: 68.73.55.74
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very little knowledge from Watson .... misstates many legislative things, as if she's still an entertainment radio hostess that is in the know; in essence a community pimp.

But even Pimps have thoughts and I do agree with her asking the questions about Black ECONOMICS in a 80-85% Black City, especially when white folk are asking for Black TAX DOLLARS in order for their project to exist. Yes, an abatement is nothing more than the stealing of City Funds!! If ya don't have the funds ... bug the hell off!!

Black-atcha ....

Jfried

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those abatements allow the developers to create housing that will be somewhat afforadable and make a REASONABLE profit. if there were no abatements there would be NO profits and NO projects at all.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 978
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever watch a Council meeting from Warren, Sterling Heights, Livonia, or Harrison Township ? They are just as big a clowns as the DCC. Every time a DNR boat launch, public park or facility is discussed, it always invites discussions about "undesirables".."attracting those people"..or even the phrase, "re-investing in the South-side"....gotta renovate the fort walls ! The racism is implied instead of in your face. Not defending the lady....but Detroit doesn't have the market cornered on racial ignorance in this area.

Jsmith9423
Username: Jsmith9423

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 141.211.34.241
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan,
I have been watching council for over 15 years. They are the most inept group I have ever witnessed. True - Sheila, Ken, and even Kay brought some (business)sense to the table, but I have yet to see anyone in Detroit government run city business professionally! Everything is so personal. Everything is black and white. Nothing ever makes business sense in Detroit. We are doomed until we get wards/districts or everyone in city government decides to quit. That won't happen even if hell freezes over. Its like having a school board when none of the board members has a background in accounting, management or law to know how to run an effective school district. Any old "joe" can tell you what you need to buy if you don't really know what you need. Hence, Detroit present day - defunct gov't, school system and no self love - forget Detroit-love.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 172.175.26.90
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like, Ras, I also see no problem with the council inquiring about the "black economics" of projects in this city, although for me, it's not because this is a black city, it's because political leaders should always be sensitive to issues of economic fairness and justice. Leaders in Birmingham and Sterling Heights should ask the same questions.

The problem I have with the Watson/Collins interrogations is the complete lack of respect and professionalism shown to so many white business owners who find themselves at the council table. The insulting lecturing and hectoring borders on the obscene. Moreover, Watson/Collins always turn off the race baiting if a black business owner is at the table. A different standard is definitely applied.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Moreover, Watson/Collins always turn off the race baiting if a black business owner is at the table. A different standard is definitely applied.

Not true. Wasn't the guy who wanted to build the outlet mall at the State Fairgrounds, reamed? There was an article written about it a while back. CC poses racial questions to all developers equally. It goes with the conception that if you're black and articulate and successful then "you're not AS black." Thus the skepticism.

Jfried

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it is fine for them to inquire about minority worker/contractors/etc., and even promote diveristy in contractors, but the problem is that they intimidate, insinuate, and flat out insult many of the people that are trying to make the city a better place.

Bongman - you're a dink. Do you think we don't know that this racist crap happens everywhere? Do you think the fact that it happens in the suburbs is an excuse for it to happen in the city? What is the point of briging the suburbs into this?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 69.221.71.182
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they know that we refer to them as the clownsil

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3451
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point, Jfried, is this contast dragging through the coals of the entire Detroit City Council for the faults of JoAnn Watson, as if she speaks for the majority of Detroit, or even the city council. You'd think this woman was city council president or mayor for as much power as people think she seems to wield. I'm just sick and tired of people implying that she represents and speaks for everyone on the council. I don't lump into a group or blame the entire Supreme Court for the stupid and outrages descents of Justice Scalia, for instance, no matter which way the vote goes. Ms. Watson is her own extremist. If you have a problem with the city council as a whole, as an uneffective body, fine. And one could make a very strong argument for that, but this constant dragging through the coals for one loud-mouth diva is old and reaks of so many other things.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 68.42.169.179
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posed my opinion about this a month ago and alll the responses were pretty apathetic. I was all about a protest and no one was willing to do this. We have to fight for our rights and at least show that we care.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 236
Posted From: 68.42.169.179
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posed my opinion about this a month ago and alll the responses were pretty apathetic. I was all about a protest and no one was willing to do this. We have to fight for our rights and at least show that we care.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 979
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bongman - you're a dink. Do you think we don't know that this racist crap happens everywhere? Do you think the fact that it happens in the suburbs is an excuse for it to happen in the city? What is the point of briging the suburbs into this?
----------------------------------------------

A dink-a-dink a dink-a-dink-a-dink !

Jfried

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmich - the council allows it to happen, so yes, I do put part of the blame on them. it's like watching the neardy kid get beat up during recess and doing nothing to stop it. they may not have the power to stop her, but they definitely could speak out against her, or deflect her statements. the problem is that they are scared of "not keeping it real."

bongman should change his handle to funnyman....that's good stuff.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yall got plenty of nerve calling people racists..get over it. We have been dealing with yall racists asses for many, many years. Now all of a sudden when it is coming back on you, yall wanna scream. Get over it!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1696
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt welcome back, nice to know you still are into posting stupid statements.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 429
Posted From: 172.129.217.22
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt says,

quote:

Yall got plenty of nerve calling people racists..get over it. We have been dealing with yall racists asses for many, many years. Now all of a sudden when it is coming back on you, yall wanna scream. Get over it!

Bratt, you're either very funny or you are 9 years old.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.