Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » New Dodge Caliber ads? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitwonk
Username: Detroitwonk

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 69.89.100.18
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone seen these yet? What do folks think?

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/a dspromotions/its-an-exclusive- marketing-blitz-advance-copies -of-four-commercials-for-the-d odge-caliber-162972.php

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3317
Posted From: 70.233.4.119
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the car. I may be getting one soon as a matter of fact.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1560
Posted From: 68.255.240.236
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have it correct when they say the car isn't "too cute." The most interesting of the commercials is the one with the young black woman and her unique choice of hobby: surfing. In order to win over young black women the ad is definitely on target because this car screams young 20 something white males and females who like to skateboard or surf. It's a car that appeals to this set. Not many blacks, however, participate in these hobbies, and the ones that do are more likely to be black males than black females. Whether or not this ad can help sell the Caliber to young black woman remains to be seen.

The Neon was a very popular car for young women in general, especially young African American women. The Caliber with its unconventional look for a small car, and its lack of "cuteness," may be a turn off to young women, especially young black women.

Young black women in inner cities like Detroit aren't looking for a car to carry around their outdoor sports gear. They need a car to get them around the city, not one they can load up the surf board or inline skates. The cuteness, practicality, and low cost of the Neon is what attracted young women, especially young black women. The Caliber is too "boyish" and as a result won't attract this set of the population.

Chrysler has made a mistake in replacing the Neon with such a unconventional car as the Caliber. The replacement for the Neon should have been a car of a more similar mode. Like the Vibe, the Caliber should have been introduced as an addition to the Chrysler line-up and not a replacement. I can see these young ladies lining up for the Chevy Cobalt before they purchase the Caliber. Just my opinion.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be wrong, but I don't think the Caliber is replacing the Neon. They are different classes of vehicles. The Neon is a compact car and the Caliber is a "CUV".

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2100
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Chrysler just needed to replace the Neon. It had run its course and they needed to infuse a new model into the fray. I think the likes of the Chevy Cobalt, the Honda Civic & Ford Focus having gone through some style changes forced Chrysler to discontinue Neon. And seeing how this vehicle is just a tad larger than any of the other entry vehicles, it might appeal to younger people who are looking for a bit more room than just your typical sub-compact car. It reminds me of a smaller hipper Magnum; it's not as un-cool as a full blown minivan so who knows? It might just have its own niche in the market. I understand it's priced pretty well too.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1691
Posted From: 69.212.213.169
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Caliber is the direct replacement for the Neon. The Neon's out of production, The Compass is being built in Belvedere, the former assembly plant for the neon. The Jeep compass will be joining the Caliber shortly.

The Caliber and compass are in the same B/C size segment as the Neon.

They may be joined by the Hornet. It will be smaller than the Neon, Caliber and Compass. If it's built, the target market for the Hornet will be Europe.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5427
Posted From: 64.228.67.130
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the photos of the Hornet from the Geneva Auto Show. It would be my choice of the three.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9959
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question remains, can you get a "Green Hornet?"

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 447
Posted From: 65.43.45.201
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love a Caliber/Liberty/Compass if only they offered the TDI/6 speed in the U.S. Sadly, my 95 Neon has skin cancer. I don't trust the CVT they're using, and the only real manual transmissions they're offering are a 5 speed with the base model 1.8 liter, or the 6 speed 2.4 liter turbocharged SRT4.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 12.219.76.215
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give chrysler props for making something that sticks out from the sea of blandness and is fuctional as well. If I was shopping for a new car I would seriously consider this and think many others will too. I never understood why Americans don't like hatchbacks, maybe this will change that. I would love to see the srt model with awd so she could compete with those awd subies and evo's you hear so much about.
Still waiting for the challenger concept to hit the streets so i can ditch my beloved rotary and get back with the mopar crowd.
D

Smogboy

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylistically Chrysler has been groundbreaking. I'm still a little leery of their engineering under the hood though (based upon a cousin who works at a Chrysler dealership). This is the company that's come out with hits like the 300, the Ram trucks, the Crossfire, Viper, some of the industry's best minvans and other cars that do stand out from the crowd a bit. I hope that Chrysler can put out a car that lasts and combine it with some top notch engineering to compete globally.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 510
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hornet? Do the Chrysler folks have a new Ambassador in the works, too?

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of a platform shoe. Chunky and thick something I would look back on in photos and think "what was I thinking?"

Give me a Crossefire or a Viper...ok so the price point is a tad different. I would not buy that ugly pair of platform shoes called the Caliber.

Who worked on these ads? Spots with flying fairies & tough men, african american woman surfing and really hard for me to believe that the Caliber will become a muscle care in the hispanic community. These spots seemed to have missed the mark too.

Patrick

Post Number: 3320
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DCX has the best styling bar none.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 946
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely disagree patrick.

That car's design is ham-fisted inside and out. The interior reminds me of an assortment of grey rubbermaid containers.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 27, 2006)

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 63.241.158.33
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting how the ad companies create an identity for a vehicle. Image sells, and the hip factor, if it sticks, will make the car a great seller.

My personal fav though is still the Mini ad they ran in Canada. They thought that Americans were too prudish to get it: http://www.mini.ca/en/default. aspx

Dhugger

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOoooh Love that snapping bad Mini ad Keysotne.
http://www.mini.ca/en/default. aspx --- gets my vote for edge, sound and content.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DCX has the best styling bar none.

If your opinion of "best" involves making everything other than the 300 look like the Dodge Ram, then I can agree.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 482
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Hornet? I had a 1974 AMC Hornet, and yes, it was green. It followed my 1970 Plymouth Duster and preceded my 1976 Pinto. I've had some great wheels!

Patrick

Post Number: 3322
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus, which company is your "ideal" auto deign master? Heh, Toyota? Honda?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone's got it right across the entire line...Cadillac or Volvo comes closest, as far as having an attractive, unified design theme.

Obviously, design is subjective though.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 68.40.108.8
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Caliber looks good on the road. It has a stocky stance from behind and it drives fairly well. It's sticker is low, too.

Dhugger

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keystone: It's interesting how the ad companies create an identity for a vehicle.
I just saw the full tv Caliber ad with the fairies? To me it reads tough guy car and bash the fairy on the head. How does this read with the gay audience? Any body want to weigh in? I just do not follow their ad campaign and what identity they are creating. It just seems violent. Not funny.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Admittedly I like the Chrysler exterior styling of their cars. The interiors are a little less desirable from the ones I've driven. The Rubbermaid analogy by Gravitymachine is pretty much accurate; they do seem to skimp a little bit on the interiors as far as innovation. And the Chrysler interiors have never really been padded or very plush in my feeble opinion. The one line that Chrysler seems to keep upping the bar on is in minivan innovation though; when they came up with the stow & go storage system for the seats I thought was genius. The people who've owned vans and have had to take seats out and put them back in later know exactly what I'm talking about.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 951
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove a SXT (mid-level) this weekend with FWD and the CVT. Overall impressed with the car, especially for the price. The biggest gripe I had (besides the CVT, I like manuals), was that it was a little pokey (though sometimes CVT's have the effect of making a car feel sluggish), and the engine and road noise were a bit higher than I would have liked.

FYI, there will be a 5 speed available with FWD for both the 2.0L and 2.4L engines within the next 6 months or so. But for right now, 5 speed is only on the 1.8L stripper model.

The CVT is supplied by JATCO, the same company that supplies the CVT to Nissan for the Murano, and I THINK (not positive) the CVT for Ford in the Five Hundred. It is a second generation unit, and I would suspect reliable.

Economy cars are, and always will be economy cars. But the Caliber takes it a step forward, with a super versatile interior, lots of space and comfort, cool features like the beverage cooler, flashlight in the hatch, liftgate speakers, AWD, and CVT. Fuel economy is also excellent.

Like I said, just about perfect if for a little less road and engine noise.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 207.91.212.254
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dodge demograhics group scored a nice bullseye with the name Caliber...as in ammo? How about the "available Chill Zone beverage cooler" in the glove box, the perfect place for the targeted 16 to 25-yr.-old buyers to keep their beer ...I mean water/sportsdrink/energydrink bottles.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Road Sodas!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.