Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit City Council approves museum operations transfers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 939
Posted From: 216.78.51.108
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit City Council approves museum operations transfers

March 22, 2006
By MARISOL BELLO

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060322/NEW S11/60322013

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1612
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joann Watson is nothing if not stubborn.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 69.216.99.147
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, sorry Lurker, she's simply nothing

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1056
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will stick up for her.I say she's both stubborn and nothing.
And I am not surprised that Monica was not present for this important vote. She is just following in the footsteps of her husband. That's how she got the job in the first place.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2155
Posted From: 70.158.51.2
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas- I take offense at your comment. I think the councilwoman is extremely intelligent. She is not some fool of a person. I may not agree with everything she does but I respect her for the stands she takes - which she feels are in teh best interest of Detroit. I am glad the CC just doesn't rubber stamp everything. If our own congress had the balls that she has we wouldn't be in a mess called Iraq now.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 940
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what exactly does "pro tem" mean in reference to monica conyers?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2156
Posted From: 70.158.51.2
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd highest vote getter...is what it boils down to.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pro tempore

Gildas

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 69.216.99.147
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILovedetroit,

Feel free to be offended, its a free country (sort of) and I stand by my comment, she's nothing, typical self centered, ineffectual self righteous drivel, the CC has been more of a obstructionist force then one of benifit to the city, for some time. Hopefully recievership will purge the lot of them.

2nd highest vote getter speaks more about the voters in our city and less about her political wit.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be just as embarrassed if someone came to work in a highland kilt costume as I am by Watson's faux-African get-ups. People who resort to costumes in the work-place would appear to be covering up incompetance with visuals.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3388
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a good step.

As for Watson, I can't think of one city council that doesn't have one or two "always yes" or "always no" council members. To say that Watson is some kind of anamoly that no one has ever seen duplicated elsewhere in other cities is just being foolish. She seems to have quite a few gadflies, here. I don't like her views, but the unhealthy obssession with this woman is just downright foolish and weird.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 442
Posted From: 69.218.79.163
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Gildas- I take offense at your comment. I think the councilwoman is extremely intelligent. She is not some fool of a person. I may not agree with everything she does but I respect her for the stands she takes - which she feels are in teh best interest of Detroit. I am glad the CC just doesn't rubber stamp everything. If our own congress had the balls that she has we wouldn't be in a mess called Iraq now."

ILOVEDETROIT, I'm thinking that you have the necessary credentials to be a councilmember. Thoughtful, provacative, able to reach beyond the common man's understanding of the needs of the city, a way with words...and certainly no fool of a person...Love you Detroit!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish, why are you such a prick? Seriously.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4736
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what would any discussion even mentioning the City Council be without ILD showing up to take personal offense to anything that could be minorly mistaken for criticism? are public officials no longer allowed to be criticized?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2158
Posted From: 24.172.45.2
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan...there are alot of racist a**holes in here just like in real life. The sad part is that most of them don't even realize it.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3394
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, and then you have the same characters on the other side of the isle whenever any says anything negative about a place like Livonia or Patterson. It goes both ways, if even it is stupid from whatever direction it comes from.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4737
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And then ILD comes up with gems like these, in this instance about Dick DeVos and his cronies:

quote:

He and the bunch of pigs he runs with are homophobes. They were some of the biggest donors behind Prop 2. Personally I think they are a bunch of psycho, cult-crazed loonies with money. My boss told me he sails with them and they are so rich that they have absolutely no reality of what life is all about. In short they are spoiled. They would make Engler look like Santa Claus...he MUST not win.

Um... Hypocritical?

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2436
Posted From: 69.221.65.159
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" please don't talk about balls and women. It's too much of a contradition that mirrors your own life.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have employees myself and always rewared my top performers with more money than the lesser performing employees. -"Ilovedetroit"

"My boss told me he sails with them and they are so rich that they have absolutely no reality of what life is all about." -"Ilovedetroit"

More contradicting claims from "Ilovedetroit". Fits right in with he/she claiming to be a "middle class, creative class type" then changing the story to "six figure job in the suburbs".

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro, shut-up, already. You and Ilovedetroit are doing nothing more than trolling these threads to death. Get a fcking room, already.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMich, when you actually get something right, then you can tell someone else to shut up.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1308
Posted From: 64.148.226.17
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya'll sound like L.B. Patterson, Craig DeRoche, Barbara Rose Collins and Joanne Watson over the zoo.

Give it a rest for the sake of this region.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1030
Posted From: 68.248.42.84
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back on topic... this transfer is great news. And it even happened without a bunch of media hoopla and controversy. Can't complain.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1911
Posted From: 4.229.81.155
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, you have mentioned before that you respect JoAnn Watson. That's fine. But as a racist, she ignores white people at council meetings. And as a white man, she wouldn't give you the time of day! How can you reconcile that?

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2657
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Southwestmap's statements are extreme and tasteless,

but she has stated before that she thinks black people are beneath her and low class and low culture.

Ms. Watson wears African clothing like Irish people where green, or French decendants were berets.

Its a benign statement. She should be proud of heritage and culture and can reflect that in her clothing.

Your just mad that she is intelligent and represents people who make up a vast part of Southeastern MI, let alone America.

More racist gibberish from a SW Detroit leader...

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2161
Posted From: 24.172.45.2
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok - You are greatly mistaken - Ms Watson does not ignore whites at all! She cares for all of her constituents. One of her best friends and protege is the president of the Green Acres Association (if anyone knows her on here you know who I am talking about) and she is white! Joann has also been a fighter for gay equality for many years and within the gay community (which the leadership is mostly white) she is well loved and respected. She is not a racist by any means...I would characterize her as an activist for human rights (all humans). Funny how when someone shows their love for the ethnic group and you are black it is racist but someone who is Irish and waiving an Irish flag and hanging out in Corktown wearing green is not a racist. Your comment exhibits the problems we have in this region with racsim...and I don't blame you for them Gistok - it just shows we need more education!

I had the pleasure of meeting Ms Watson when I was working on the McPhail Campaign this summer. I told her that I "admired her taking a stand on issues" (again I don't agree with her on everything) she said "well thank you for your support" and then she gave me a hug. That was not the hug of a racist.

Gildas

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD,

This is like the whole "I'm white but have a few black friends, so I must be OK, right?" All in reverse, Ms. Watson, has a few white and gay freinds, she's so cool and diverse (yeah her)

Another reason why we need districts for the CC, so they and we know who is representing us and can hold them accountable.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.