Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » West Jefferson « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 155.139.40.51
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me when the stretch of W. Jefferson was closed between Clark and Rosa Parks (12th Street)? It seems to me that it wasn't all that long ago; I'm just wondering if that's the case or if my age is catching up to me! LOL

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3822
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They closed it about 2 years ago for nation security purposes. Don't want any terrorists place a semi-truck full of bombs under the Ambassador Bridge.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 63.41.8.173
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to see what used to be there, I posted a series of old maps of West Jefferson in the Detroit's 2nd Train Terminal thread a couple of days ago.

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 155.139.40.51
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Danny and Hornwrecker for proving that my memory is not as bad as I had thought. That stretch was a pretty scary piece of road, anyway, butting right up to old warehouses and not a soul in sight and potholes big enough to lose a semi in! I had presumed that it was closed due to the condition and the fact that it was seldom used. Terror precautions hadn't occurred to me. (Naive, I know, in this day and age.) But what's to stop a semi from sitting under the bridge on Fort Street?

Thanks, too, for the pics Hornwrecker, although the train terminal threads were all over the city, making it a little tough to mentally sort out! They were originally what got me thinking of this question in the first place!

Next search is Delray! The Penninsular Savings Bank on Jefferson has always caught my eye!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.