Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Mass Transit / Congressmen Knollenberg « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 648
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know some of you don't share my politics, but one thing we have in common is our love of Detroit. So please consider this heartfelt appeal.

Our Congressman in OC is Joe Knollenberg. He has a leadership position on the transportation subcommittee of the appropriations ctommittee. For those of you like me who don't understand the intracies of Congress, this means that he runs the committee that doles out money for mass transit. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for the state to get mass transit dollars.

I had a chance recently to talk to him at some length about mass transit for the Detroit region, and was pleasantly surprised to hear him describe with great enthusiasm his positive experiences using the Metro in DC. I really think he gets it. I really think he would be receptive to it if there were tangible evidence of support among voters.

The trouble is the message he's getting from constituents (and in particular those consituents who are most active in OC politics) is "no money for mass transit, build more roads." There's deafening silence from the pro-transit camp.

If this forum could generate letters asking him to consider mass transit, I really think it might help.

The address is: Congresssman Joe Knollenberg
30833 Northwestern Highway, Suite 100
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

I know you are all busy, but I think we are blowing an opportunity here if we do not reach out. Even if we move the needle one teeny tiny bit, it would be worth more than a thousand online bitch sessions about the lack of transit.

Please consider doing this tonight or tomorrow.

PS: if you want your letter to really get read, consider addressing it to Shawn Ciavattone, his public-spirited and very savvy District Field Director.

(Message edited by ray on March 20, 2006)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3364
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though they may not carry the same weight as a hand-written letter, you can also contact him via email at this link:

http://www.house.gov/knollenbe rg/contact/default.htm

It also lists his Troy and Washington D.C. offices.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 553
Posted From: 221.12.238.2
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1338
Posted From: 198.208.251.21
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some zip codes in the 9th district that you can use when emailing...

48340 Pontiac
48331 Farmington/Hills
48332 Farmington/Hills
48328 Waterford/Twp
48329 Waterford/Twp
48359 Orion Twp
48009 Birmingham
48012 Birmingham
48007 Troy

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 243
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroit needs to gets its act together on regional issues, especially when it comes to transit. Eventually that Federal transit money is going to dry up when Congress and the White House realize that running massive deficits is irresponsible thus triggering significant budget cuts.

U.S. lets debt rise to almost $9-trillion
http://www.theglobeandmail.com /servlet/story/LAC.20060317.IR AQ17/TPStory/?query=bush+defic it

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 537
Posted From: 69.212.45.176
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The war in Iraq is wack!
The war in Iraq is wack!
The war in Iraq is wack!

later - naturalsister (in picketing fashion)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3371
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naturalsister kind of hit in on the head. Our Congress and current Presidential administration are running around, at the moment, like chickens with their heads cut off wondering how to "solve" the current War in Iraq. Most everything else has fallen by the wayside. There is no way we can rebuild our cities, efficiently, with this perpetual war going on. Hell, even New Orleans, a city completely devestated by a nautral disaster, can barely get the governments ear, at the moment. Let alone a city the government has left for dead for decades.

It's going to take some creative regional cooperation/funding to make up where the government is increasingly retreating from cities.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I don't know much about the war in Iraq, it looks like a bad situation.

But setting that aside, we've got a chance here to get more federal money for transit in Detroit and I think somebody with some influence and a well-thought out agenda needs to work on our Congressman, who is deluged with anti-transit opinions from his voters.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 207.195.241.66
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inside the beltway there is little support for mass transit for Detroit. Why? Not Iraq. There is little confidence in the competence and cooperation in Detroit and SE Michigan governments that would be necessary to have a successful service. Good money after bad.

river rat deep inside the beltway

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 857
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat does make a great point, we had a chance in the 1970s and we blew it. We almost had a chance a few years ago and John Engler blew it with his veto. And since we fight about the zoo and water, I don't blame people it they don't take us seriously in terms of mass transit.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 68.254.148.52
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget Kilpatrick sits on the other side of the sub-committee too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.