Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Oprah covers Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 66.167.58.120
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got my afternoon dose of Oprah. She did a special report on 'The Poor in America.' Anderson Cooper did an expose on Detroit's poor population. Their coverage said the 'D' is the largest city with the most poor percapita...could this be accurate?

http://www.oprah.com/tows/past shows/200510/tows_past_2005101 2.jhtml

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1021
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Their coverage said the 'D' is the largest city with the most poor percapita...could this be accurate?

Yes. (In the United States, of course.)

(Message edited by Dougw on March 20, 2006)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Their coverage said the 'D' is the largest city with the most poor percapita...could this be accurate?

I couldn't say it's inaccurate but there are two qualifiers there, "largest" and "most." That clouds the meaning a bit.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1492
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually don't think that statement means anything the way that it is written. I think somebody (maybe Oprah) is miscommunicating something.

I beleive it is the large city with the most per capita households under the federal poverty line.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 895
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a rerun of last fall's episode - lady & kids staying in their van on Belle Isle, Anderson Cooper chatting up homeless under an overpass, a segment on a poor family no far outside of Chicago?

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 69.212.45.176
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen a similiar story on Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN. By largest they counted cities in US with populations more than 250,000.

Making Detroit the largest US city (around 900,000) with the most households below the federal poverty line.

Sad, yet true if you are willing to trust census data to an extent.

later - naturalsister

Jimaz

Post Number: 486
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naturalsister, thanks. That does clear it up.

Dhugger

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooper Anderson did interview a woman living in her car at Belle Isle. The upside to the car piece was the follow up with mom in a new job and the family in a house.

The hour was not focused only on Detroit more a post Katrina can you believe this is America editorial. Oprah went to a trailer park just 20 miles outside of Chicago where people lacked clean running water. Gale King covered Hartford Conn. poor in the pretty suburbs.

The well dressed news folks & talk show hosts tried to do the humanitarian thing saying "most Americans are only 2 pay checks away from homelessness." I am currently assisting an educated woman that seems to be weeks away from the homeless shelters.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3398
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unemployment line= breadline.

jjaba.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 896
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, rerun

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of these problems right here in America why does feel the need to go to Africa to help poor people?
It seems like all she does is exploit poor people in this country for ratings.

Dhugger

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay I am here to defend my rich middle age gal Oprah. At leasts she throws lots of money at the poor. 1. rebuilt whole neighborhoods in New Orleans 2. funds education projects in the US & abroad 3. does angel type work to lift folks up.

As news/talk show hosts go Oprah does the voyer thing but she has her heart & pocket book in the right place too.

Jimaz

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's to Dhugger and Oprah together. May you both achieve your wildest dreams! A noble cause, indeed.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps,she will move her studio to the Monroe block. Bring some more energy to downtown and help rebuild the city.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 148.61.248.170
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"most Americans are only 2 pay checks away from homelessness."

Judging from most americans lifestyle, I don't think that's true. It's more like two paychecks away from canceling cable, the internet, eating alot of ramen, selling alot of stuff, and moving into a cheaper or free place (a relative or friends place). Plus, even the poorest people here are better off than most the people in certain other countries. Unfortunatly, making poor people less poor requires alot of money, but poor people don't pay alot of taxes, and the government seems to be preoccupied with other things.

I wonder what would happen if Oprah concentrated all of her resources (1 billion) into Detroit. It's about $1,100 per peson.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two types of poverty in this country: situational poverty and generational poverty.

Anyone of us could find ourselves in situational poverty because of large educational loans, loss of a job, massive medical bills, divorce, and so on. However, once the specific cause of our situational poverty is dealt with, the poverty itself is gone.

Families who have lived in poverty for two or more generations are in generational poverty. It involves much more than just the lack of money.

Of the two states, generational poverty is a much more complex problem for our society to deal with because of all of our attitudes toward it. Those who are mired in it often don't have the knowledge, skills, motivation or hope of getting out. And those of us who are not in it often blame this form of poverty completely on the poor themselves. This blame is often expressed in the belief that if only the poor got a job or worked harder, the problem would be solved. However, it is a much more complex issue that has no such simple solution.

Ruby Payne has written a number of very readable books on the topic of situational and generatioal poverty. I can highly recommend her work on the topic.

Dhugger

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr thank you for the enlightenment on the subject. I will pick up some Ruby Payne titles per your knowledgeable suggestions above.

I read 'Nickle & Dimed in America' an expose on the working poor...easy reading on a challanging subject.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 207.232.204.254
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr,

i'm taking a course here in Charleston SC on differentiating instruction. Ruby Payne wrote the textbooks we're using. Good stff.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.