Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Delray divided: Bridge to a better life? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delray appears to be the choice location for a new international bridge. The Windsor Star surveys some Delray residents to guage their reaction as to what they think a bridge through Delray will mean to that area.

The article mentions that some (inhabited) homes in the area have been assessed at $10,000. Those houses are obviously worth more to the residents than anyone else (other than an international bridge company). Even if the state pays twice the value -- how can someone relocate and buy another home with $20,000?

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=a544f42 2-2c52-4b44-b776-121f58ba088c& k=50988

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 988
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transplant the residents into the surrounding area, building new homes for them for the acquisiton of their current homes, free of charge. Giving them something new and better to replace something that has been so dear to them. This also maintains a residential base in the area for others to build and develope accordingly. I assume only one weeks tolls can offset the costs of a project of this magnitude.

Makes everyone happy in the process, plus the residents will have a beautiful view of the bridge that stands where they once lived.

Dreamin.....

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1012
Posted From: 24.221.73.42
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother and uncle lives in one of the areas that is being looked at for a new bridge. Granted, they don't want to move, but if they have to, they will. But as the OP stated, how can you afford to purchase a new house for $20k?

My grandmother's house certainly isn't the Ritz Carlton, but it's in pretty good condition and their block is relatively safe.

How are you gonna find something like that for $20k?

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know how Holy Cross is reacting to this?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt, I agree $20k is nothing. They should come up with a plan to build some affordable housing in another part of the neighborhood or create a plan to let them buy affordable housing somewhere else in the city in the $120k range.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a way to route the bridge so that it does not disturb the Church, the fort, and the majority of the residents?

Maybe the people who are displaced could be offered an abandoned house in Delray complete with a cheque for enough money to restore the place to a liveable state?

The bridge is needed, but to kick someone out of his or her home for $20k isn't very humane.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1020
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think there ought to be some minimum price threshold as to what they offer for fair market value for a house. Maybe $40K or $50K? $50K would certainly be enough to buy a significantly nicer house in a different area in the city of Detroit.

I'm not sure how many homes they were talking, but $50K times 200 homes would be $10 million... probably not a deal-breaker for a project as large as this.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.