Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit City Income Tax Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone... this is my first post here. Thanks to the administrators for approving my application. : )

2005 was my first year living in Detroit as an adult, and I have to file my city income taxes. However, the instructions do not say (at least I can't find where it says) what a standard deduction is for a single adult with no disabilities or dependents.

Thank you for your help! : )

--Paul

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1671
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is located in the middle of the tax form.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 869
Posted From: 146.9.52.20
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$600 on line 6.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. It's not on my form, I suppose, since it's a D-1040 (L) (part year resident) since I moved here in April.

Thanks again! :D

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 871
Posted From: 146.9.52.20
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

of course, my suggestion would be to never tax tax advice from some guy posting on the internet ;)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 152.160.42.163
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I propose an elimination of the city tax for residents under 30

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say tax non-residents at 2.4% and residents at 1.2% :-)

(I think those rates are right. Anyone?)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7013
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimination of income tax for families with kids that attend DPS.

The under 30s will come but the the city needs to retain the families and the middle class.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really it should be phased out and the city should start collecting property taxes again (because they barely collect them now).

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2203
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crew, waddaya mean never take tax advice from some guy posting on the internet? That's the only place to go:

http://www.paynoincometax.com/

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/tax.h tm

http://www.givemeliberty.org/

http://www.taxfreedomnow.com/

http://www.ylana.com/tax7-700. htm

:-)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7014
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(because they barely collect them now).

How so. Do you know how many homes the city/county take over for lack of payment. The income tax is slated to be rolled back over time so that the city can adjust.

If we collected every penny of every property tax that would nowhere near cover our budget. Consider the following:

Homes prices in the ctiy are extremely low which results in very low SEV.

Many owners in the city have been in thrier homes for many, many years which results in very low taxes based upon Prop A.

The city owns more houses/lots than they know what to do with due to taking over the homes for back taxes.

Simply put collecting every penny in property tax willl not put a band aid on the loss from the income tax and will have very little effect on the budget.

I don't like the income tax and I think Cavanaugh f'ed up big time when he instituted it but it will have to stay in the short term and property tax simply would not fill the gap.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 152.160.42.163
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the under 30's will come anyway but why give them one more thing to add to their list of sacrifices for moving to the city. I think young people with good jobs will more than make up for the lost revenue by purchasing goods and services in the city. The revenue has got to be quite low and that guy I met who moved to dearborn from the city can't use his "I didn't want to pay the city tax anymore" speech.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, Just to give you an idea of the state of things (at least 3 years ago):
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=5312

Also, property values have been going up in Detroit for years across the city. Per the article above, the city misses out on $60 million a year in uncollected taxes and it's been this way for YEARS (only an 85% collection rate, when the natl. avg. is like 98%). The deficit is currently $200-400 million depending on who you ask. The property tax collection is inefficiency at it's ABSOLUTE WORST. Not to mention that the city is very spotty on assessing property. The income tax could easily be phased out but Mayor Kilpatrick stopped that.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1682
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog, That article is way out of touch with the current reality. Deliquent tax collection was turned over to Wayne county a couple of years ago. There was also legislation introduced at the time to greatly reduce the amount of time required to confiscate a property for failure to pay taxes.

Even if the assesments are updated they would only affect newly purchased homes. Assesments can only go up by the rate of inflation due to the Prop A legislation. They are uncapped when a home sold.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, Good point about the article. I knew things had improved some since that article (wasn't sure what, they still say property taxes are only 12% of revenue which is insane). Still, only delinquent taxes were turned over. Has the collection rate improved? I have noticed some foreclosures in my neighborhood lately. But they still take forever (it takes about a year to buy a vacant lot, if your just an individual and not a well-connected developer).

About assessments, the city still doesn't assess many houses when they sell even when the value has gone up drastically. Talk to any Detroit realtor, they'll tell you (mine did) that if you buy in one of the well known neighborhoods you will get hammered with a huge tax bill, but there are many areas of the city that "under the radar" i.e. the city doesn't know the homes are valuable and simply doesn't assess them. That's probably not enough $$$ to cover the loss of income tax revenues but it could make a HUGE difference in the city coffers for sure. Inefficiency has been easting the city alive for years. But it is getting better.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.14.28.209
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every year I ask my tax guy the same question. Can I file my city of detroit tax form electronically? Every year he just laughs and hands me the form and an envelope. It's the trickle of little inconveniences added up over years. The trickle is fast becoming a torrent. Get thee to higher ground or watch thy fortune fade.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2055
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit income tax is a pathetic joke that needs to be abolished.

Unfortunately, TPTB are too addicted to redistributing money from those who produce in our society to those who do/will not.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 69.246.27.152
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds more like the bush plan for the oil companies then the C of D plan. When did collecting garbage, providing police become redistributing wealth mcp001?

Mcp001

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since having 30% of your work force not reporting for work became an acceptable practice.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 69.246.27.152
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That IS really bad. Time to actually enforce the contracts folks (should) work under.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2802
Posted From: 69.209.164.236
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any proof that the 30% is accurate?

How is the Mayor slicing and dicing the numbers to arrive at that?

Perhaps he's purposefully inflating the numbers, and the public is an unwitting pawn in a skirmish over power?

For instance, does the 30% include those people on medical leaves? How about this one: if a police officer normally assigned to the night shift has to testify in court, he automatically receives his next shift off, so the city can avoid overtime.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question, Steve.

Oh Mr. Wilson, just how accurate is hizhonors 30% figure?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.