Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Demonstration Against the War, March 18 « Previous Next »
Demonstration Against the War, March 18 - 1Jimaz86 03-17-06  8:50 pm
Demonstration Against the War, March 18 - 2Pffft118 03-22-06  12:42 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2960
Posted From: 68.79.165.36
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

.....some kid is sleeping in an uncomfortable desert tonight for your the freedom....

Why? Possibly, that kid may be killed or maimed tomorrow in a small country that posed no threat prior to an invasion by a superpower that picks and chooses the despots it deposes and those it supports.

Tyranny is ok if it fits within our forign policy. Excuse imperialism, blame rationalism.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1663
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams said: "a small country that posed no threat prior to an invasion by a superpower that picks and chooses the despots it deposes and those it supports."

Jams = clueless.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 71.144.80.173
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Karl...where did you do service for our great country?

Karl

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enlisted & served in the Army during the Vietnam era. During that time I was spit on by the AHAYS (Aging hippies & young slackers) of the era, most of whom have grown up, cleaned up, and are now teaching at our colleges and universities.

After a stint in the reserves, I was honorably discharged.

How 'bout you, Pffft?

Jams

Post Number: 2961
Posted From: 70.229.47.223
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl'
Where was the threat Iraq posed to the US?

Why not Sudan, Indonesia, Congo Republic, Liberia, Sierra Leonne, North Korea or choose your despot that rules his country by terror?

I enjoyed GWB's stammering response to Helen Thomas's question in yesterday's press conference. Makes me sleep easy, knowing he's in charge.....yeah, right!

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2981
Posted From: 129.137.205.44
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, you're a liar. Vietnam veteran Jerry Lembcke debunked the urban legend of Vietnam veterans being spit upon.

STORIES ABOUT spat-upon Vietnam veterans are like mercury: Smash one and six more appear. It's hard to say where they come from. For a book I wrote in 1998 I looked back to the time when the spit was supposedly flying, the late 1960s and early 1970s. I found nothing. No news reports or even claims that someone was being spat on.

What I did find is that around 1980, scores of Vietnam-generation men were saying they were greeted by spitters when they came home from Vietnam. There is an element of urban legend in the stories in that their point of origin in time and place is obscure, and, yet, they have very similar details. The story told by the man who spat on Jane Fonda at a book signing in Kansas City recently is typical. Michael Smith said he came back through Los Angeles airport where ''people were lined up to spit on us."

Like many stories of the spat-upon veteran genre, Smith's lacks credulity. GIs landed at military airbases, not civilian airports, and protesters could not have gotten onto the bases and anywhere near deplaning troops. There may have been exceptions, of course, but in those cases how would protesters have known in advance that a plane was being diverted to a civilian site? And even then, returnees would have been immediately bused to nearby military installations and processed for reassignment or discharge.

http://www.boston.com/news/glo be/editorial_opinion/oped/arti cles/2005/04/30/debunking_a_sp itting_image/

(Message edited by czar on March 22, 2006)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 69.218.79.163
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quit the whining and explain how you would do things differently folks.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are no different than those we know who bitch about Detroit sucking without offering alternatives to make it better.

Add value...don't just whine

Jams

Post Number: 2962
Posted From: 68.252.9.40
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2525 Coalition deaths and we're accused of whining. I 'd prefer we start SCREAMING!

http://icasualties.org/oif/

How about you neo-cons come up with a solid reason for this war? Grenada wasn't available this season?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are like a bad child Jams.

Or an American tourist in France..."what they don't understnd me ...then I will just say it in English (with a French Acccent) louder"!

OK, open your office window and yell "We are mad as hell and we aren't going to take it anymore!"

That should help.

Jams

Post Number: 2963
Posted From: 68.252.9.40
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My goodness,
Two questions directed to those who support this war and the only answers I get are comments about me.

I guess if you ain't got nothin'......

Karl

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar, I regularly flew in/out of SFO during that era, in an Army uniform and/or short military haircut - unique to the military in those days. Spitting happened twice and a few more missed. Sorry you weren't there to witness it - I was, and it happened. Strange how your kneejerk reaction has instant recall for someone you don't know, recalling a place at which you weren't present, backed by an author who joins you in your lack of presence. But I do hope that, as an OHAYS, your blathering brings you some comfort.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2983
Posted From: 129.137.205.44
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Karl, the same thing happened to me when I returned home from World War I. You're a liar.

Karl

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh huh, Czar. Keep sipping the KoolAid.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,

His denials are equivalent to the idiots who deny the holocaust. It doesn't matter if its true or not...his lips keep moving.

Its pretty much a stone wall of ignorance (by choice) that keeps coming back. Probably better to try to have discussions with intelligent people elsewhere on this subject.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 563
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, I think you are a liar. If that had happened to you, you'd have been whining about it a long time before now.

chickenhawk.

Karl

Post Number: 1677
Posted From: 72.25.177.194
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IM - thanks, you're right. I'm used to it by now, but sometimes the ignorance is still rather stunning. I was going to mention that one incident occurred in the city of San Francisco (you know, the city of tolerance and love), not at the airport, but I figured he already knew.

Pffft

Post Number: 847
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,
We might buy your story of Vietnam service had you brought it up from the get-go. Every other Vietnam vet I know, and my brother is one, does that.

It's a defining experience, for men of that generation.

Karl

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, I've been questioned several times on these threads and answered the same each time. Frankly, I don't give a rip whether "we might buy your story of Vietnam service" or not. Talking to OHAYS is always the same and has been since that timeframe.

BTW, I did not serve in Vietnam - as I stated, I served during the Vietnam era.

Karl

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now we have this gem from Best of the Web Today (3/21/06) by James Taranto:

Polls suggest that public opinion has of late turned decisively against the war. But it strikes us that these feelings do not run very deep, and indeed may be partly the result of the same sort of peer pressure. We noted yesterday that the turnout for anniversary antiwar rallies was tiny, both in the U.S. and elsewhere; and San Francisco Chronicle columnist C.W. Nevius has another observation of note:

My teenage daughter and I attended an anti-war rally last weekend in Walnut Creek, but you couldn't really say we made a point of it. It was more like we were going by, saw the crowd and stopped in to hear the music.

There was an old-fashioned folksinger there, complete with an acoustic guitar and a Bob Dylan-style harmonica holder around his neck. His look may have been retro, but he certainly wasn't. We estimated his age at 20.

And that was the funny thing. He was one of the few young people there. There were a lot more people my age than my daughter's age in the crowd.

It was like that throughout the Bay Area, if not beyond, last weekend at the many rallies marking the third anniversary of the Iraq war. The crowds were small, but, beyond that, they were more Woodstock than MTV.

Where did all the student activists go?

Vietnam-style defeatism, it seems to us, is an ingrained impulse of aging hippies, politicians and journalists. We don't think think this bunch of losers really speak for America.

Pffft

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What made the anti-war movement of the '60s such an overwhelmingly youthful movement: two words.

The draft.

It's coming.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 67.63.232.195
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don’t think the protestors of the war think they are giving aid and comfort to the enemy, but I think they are doing just that. The protestors seem like they want to un-ring the bell, we cannot go back in time and re-visit the decision now. We are in this conflict now so all of the Bush-bashing does not help one iota. He will be leaving office in a few years, his approval ratings are not great, so your mission of getting rid of him and discrediting him will be accomplished soon enough.

History has shown us that there is an enormous psychological component to war. It has been well-documented that the Viet Cong were heartened by the anti-war movement in the US, even while they were suffering huge military setbacks on the battlefield. They knew that if they hung in there long enough, we would withdraw due to political pressure back in the US. The anti-war movement even affected our strategic decisions in the theater of battle due to concerns about adverse public reaction.

Conversely, the protests also hurt the morale of our own troops. The combination of giving confidence to the enemy and disheartening our own troops does cost lives. The position of “supporting the troops but not supporting the war” seems a little odd. In other words, we support the men and women fighting but we hope they lose? We support them but we tell them they are fighting an unjust war based on lies? We support them but we do everything possible to bring down their commander in chief, making him and his administration less effective? The very lives of these brave fighters are in his hands, does it help the troops to cripple his ability to lead? With “support” like that, who needs enemies? “Stopping the war” is not really a reasonable goal at this point. We either stay and accomplish the objective, or we leave and allow Iraq to fall into chaos, causing mass slaughter and a de-stabilizing of the entire region. Those are the REAL choices. The anti-war side does not seem to have a coherent plan to deal with either one of these eventualities.

I am not saying we should suppress free speech or disagreement, as rigorous debate on these huge issues is required. It seems to me though that once the actual war begins, the best thing we can hope for is accomplishing the stated objective as soon as possible with a minimum of casualties on both sides, bringing our soldiers home. Of course mistakes have been made, that is the nature of war. The people who miscalculated will be held to account. In the end though, we are not there to occupy and conquer, or to steal oil. Once the Iraqi’s have a functioning government and a decent security force we can draw down steadily. I am sure we will all think long and hard before we ever embark on an operation like this again, lessons will have been learned.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on March 22, 2006)

Karl

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG, welcome and thanks for a thoughtful post.

You are right, the antiwar side does not have any sort of plan. Ho Dean says he'll tell us "at the right time". The general theme of the anti-war crowd is "Blame America First" - "Excuse Terrorism" - and now "Surrender" or "Cut & Run" - you will see some posting here. Many are OHAYS - Old Hippies And Young Slackers. Old hippies often look like everyone else (they couldn't get good jobs until they cut their hair and took a bath - so they "compromised" for the money) and Young Slackers are often students (taught by Old Hippies who can't sell their ideas in the real world but shovel them into young empty skulls who are in their captive audiences) YS's are idealistic but inexperienced.

You are on the right track to freedom. Hang in there.

Jams

Post Number: 2965
Posted From: 68.79.81.65
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I'm an Old Aging Hippy, at least I had that opportunity. 2319 + 2 unconfirmed (at last count)will never have the opportunity to be an "Old Aging Anything"

I guess at least that cuts down on abortions that could have happened...... of course, that brings up the children who will grow up not ever having a chance to know a parent.

Jams

Post Number: 2966
Posted From: 68.79.167.194
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don’t think the protestors of the war think they are giving aid and comfort to the enemy, but I think they are doing just that.

That was the same thing said during the Vietnam Era. History shows us how that turned out.

The point is They are NOW our enemy. I agree, we're stuck there. The bloodbath that will probably happen if the US takes a walk will be horrendous.

Why are we there in the first place?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 512
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why are we there in the first place?

To cash in the lives of American soldiers in exchange for Halliburton's profits while diverting attention from the whole disgustingly cannibalistic spectacle.

It has become SO embarrassingly transparent.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That was the same thing said during the Vietnam Era. History shows us how that turned out."

What does it tell us?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1058
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are there in the first place because Democrats and Republicans alike voted to send our troops there. And I am truly amazed and disappointed that Democrats and some Republicans now blame the administration, not themselves, for their own votes. What a cop-out.
"Oh, I wouldn't have voted yes if I had know this, or I had known that or I was led to believe this or that"....what a cop-out. How trite. To think we have elected these people.
I am no great admirer of this administration, but you can now see who the gutless and the spineless are when things go sour and things HAVE gone sour.
Democrats and Republicans who voted yes are equally to blame. But politicians never blame themselves. Its always someone else. If you voted yes, buddy, that why we are there.
If Harry Truman came down to earth for a day, he would fire Kerry and Dean in one breath, and dismantle the whole Democrat party and start over again.
And on the other side, Ike would straighten out a few Republicans.
How easy it is to put the blame on the other guys shoulders. Everyone of those Washington buck passers should be ashamed.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3379
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're a smart guy, right? I'm sure you remember vividly how Vietnam ended.

Karl

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams = clueless (again)

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You're a smart guy, right? I'm sure you remember vividly how Vietnam ended."

LMichigan, you are such a weasel...are you a politician?

The question was simple. It was not "How did the war end?" it was

"What does it tell us?"

Do you have an answer? or more blathering....

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 71.227.26.9
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree that there has been some "convenient attitudes" in regard to the Iraq war on all sides, public and private. I know many people who are all for it, even AFTER we didn't find WMD's, because most believed that Saddam's regime was evil and needed to be removed. Support obviously has waned as the human and financial costs have mounted. If things had been going as planned, and yes there were miscalculations, most of these pundits and politicians who are saying “Bush lied and kids died” now would be supporting it to this day. It was clear that many of them voted to authorize the use of force for political reasons; they did not want to appear weak in the midst of the GWOT. I have more respect for the people who were against it from the beginning and have stuck with that position, although these people were in the minority at the time. I do wish their commentary was more constructive and forward-thinking though, constantly harping about why we went to war and Bush’s “incompetence” gets us nowhere. WE ARE AT WAR, so the question is what can we do moving forward to accomplish the best possible result?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3385
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can first start with a large-scale redeployment, in effect forcing the Iraqi army and security forces to pick up the slack, and fight just as hard for their democracy as we did. Of course, we'd leave some troops at key cities and locations we're civil war is already happening, and we'd keep most of our troops nearby in Kuwait. But this continued stupidity of "staying the course" and "business as usual" is directly responsible for the unneeded deaths of dozens of American soldiers and hundreds of Iraqi civilians. On the ideological front, Bush also must STOP lumping the insurgency/terrorist, and the sectarian violence into one category calling it terrorism. That is doing nothing good in helping all understand where he stands. We are not in Iraq to nation build, and never were supposed to be, and the Iraqi's need to be shown that. Call it cruel, but with something as deathly serious as war, you better level with the American people from the start, or you've already lost the war, IMO. I was against this war from the very beginning fearing exactly what has happened now, and now seeing things I could have never imagined would go sour.

Jams

Post Number: 2967
Posted From: 68.250.96.109
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quoting myself:

quote:

The point is They are NOW our enemy. I agree, we're stuck there. The bloodbath that will probably happen if the US takes a walk will be horrendous.

"Clueless"? What did your President say in his press conference yesterday?

Possibly 40,000 to over a hundred thousand (depending on what figures you believe) would be walking on this earth today if this invasion had not happened.

What is the reason?

"Clueless" is blind obedience, which many see you as embracing. But you don't believe in polls........unless they agree with your agenda.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 71.227.26.9
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I certainly agree the administration has done a lousy job of defending their actions on this issue, and yes there is sectarian violence at play, although certain external parties (terrorists) seem to be trying to stoke that further that to foment civil war, so I wouldn’t agree they are totally unrelated. Re-deployment and allowing the Iraqi’s to handle security sounds great, but until the Iraqi army is ready it serves only to make things worse. We have tried “re-deployment” many times in the past and those areas were re-taken by insurgents after we left, in fact many of the armchair quarterbacks criticized Bush for that too! I think moving the troops to Kuwait would send the wrong message at this point, we would be ceding hard-fought territory to the enemy and allowing them to regroup. There is no panacea in the end, we must continue to train the Iraqi army and police, which are getting better every day and finish the job. It is going to be a long, hard slog, but I do agree that the administration should have cautioned the American people more at the outset in terms of the magnitude of the commitment.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!

At least you presented something!

Of course I disagree.

First of all, we conquered Iraq. We now have to rebuild it (see Germany, Japan, Italy, etc.). That takes time.

We can use your view of where we should have bodies deployed or ...our experts in the military...I'll take theirs thank you.

Your idealogy of breaking up our enemies into different camps is supposed to do what? You have different names for the people that shoot at our soldiers...ok what do you plan to do with each of these different enemies? I vote for shooting them...dead.

As for why we were in Iraq in the first place, you seem confused about that...I answered it rather succinctly about a week ago in this thread...look it up and then you will know.

I'm sorry that your imagination couldn't take you to where we are today. Maybe it will work better on the next three year stint.

Peace,

IM

Jams

Post Number: 2969
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

First of all, we conquered Iraq.

WHY?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish, I'm so glad you're so sure of why we are in Iraq, because President Bush and Rumsfeld sure as hell don't know, anymore. Their bubble was burst long ago.

You really think we conquered Iraq? Conquering means having relative control over an occupied area. We have no such thing. We can't even manage to keep Baghdad's Green Zone safe, let alone the rest of the country.

Could you give me some of what you're sipping? I'd love to have you imagination. At least it helps you sleep at night. Your optimism isn't real, anymore. It's nothing more than a crutch for your pride, you know, the pride that tells you that we will never lose even if everything else says that we have? You can't ever win anything base on lies, exaggerations, and half-truths. We could keep soldiers over there for 100 years, and bomb the country to high-heaven and we still would not have "conquered" it.

Jams

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one on this forum seems able to provide a valid reason why this war was started. So, a few thousand deaths are insignificant?

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 66.77.102.10
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl writes:

"Thank you, Hardhat, for equating my logic to that of our great President - I consider it an honor."

That about sums it up, to call someone great who: (1) Failed at every business venture in which he was involved, (2) Was an average student, using his family connections to get through college, (3) Never reads, never researches, listens only to what his closest advisors who already drank his Kool-Aid tell him, (4) Is completely unqualified and unfit for the office he holds, and has proven it time and again by his utter ineptitute, EVEN IF YOU AGREE WITH HIS POLICIES.

To call someone like that 'great' is just plain ignorant. He has shamed the office of the President in ways most thinking people never thought possible. He is a criminal.

Phil

Jams

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philm,
As Karl loves to say;
"Blame America first, Excuse Terrorism"

although, my personal favourite was;
Terrorism, Atheism, and Sodomy"

Of course the new one he is proud of is OHAYS. Did he get that from somebody? Many of us do not think he is capable of an original thought, you know, "clueless".

Karl

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil about sums it up:

1. Harry Truman failed at every business venture in which he was involved, Lincoln had a few bombs also. Like his predecessors, Bush is moving thru uncharted waters.

2. Months after the election Kerry (who used his family connections to get thru college) finally released his grades which were slightly lower than Bush's.

3. Bush surrounds himself with proven successes, brilliant but practical folks who aren't afraid to disagree with him. Further, he infuriates the press by purposely not reading newspapers and pointedly ignoring leftist reporters who seek solely to smear him.

4. Is unafraid to do what will ultimately be viewed by history as the right thing while anti-Bush ideology swirls around him.

Finally, some call Bush a criminal. When he leaves office in 2008, we'll see if he:

a: has been disbarred

b: has been impeached

c: lives separate from his wife

d: has lied under oath

e: is viewed as bringing shame against the office of the President

f: has his DNA associated with a blue dress

I'll stick with "great" and you pick your own description. Though the road is rough, so far he's hanging with the other "greats" in this great nation's history.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 66.77.102.10
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll stick to putting my vote with people who can form a complete sentence.

You display your own ignorance by excusing his.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 554
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of sending soldiers care packages containing things they might not need, these folks are taking requests from soldiers: http://www.supportatroop.com/s at/login.do .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.