Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Elementary Schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 64.25.200.14
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be graduating from CMU in a couple of years as an elementary school teacher, and I'm thinking of moving to Detroit after graduation. I've read a lot in the news and on this forum, both good and bad, about the Detroit's schools, but everything you read about deals with the high schools. Does anyone have idea what the elementary schools are like in Detroit? What are some good ones? What schools need work? I appreciate any info you guys can give.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 236
Posted From: 198.204.133.208
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site allows you to compare elementary schools based on academic strength, teacher/student ratio, economic status and ethnicity for DPS schools. Should help you out w/ some objective data.

http://www.greatschools.net/cg i-bin/cs_compare/mi/?level=e&a rea=d&district=346&sortby=name &tab=acad

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2433
Posted From: 199.74.87.51
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler and Bates are your best bets.

<--- Chrysler Alum

Andyguard73

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 141.209.33.142
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that link was really helpful Belleislerunner, thanks!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 813
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, get to know you connections through the education department at CMU. They will be able to give you inside info on a lot of things. Professors know a lot of people, and can help guide you into good teaching situations. The website into on greatschools.net is only half the info, you want to know about administration in and outs, etc.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 396
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are they teaching you at CMU? Don't you believe that all kids are good? Don't you already believe that all kids can achieve at high levels? Don't you also know that there's always room for improvement?

What are our schools like? They're filled with black children and they're overloaded. There are many students without dad's and many are eligible for free and reduced lunch, which means that many are poor.

Why don't you ask yourself questions like, will I adjust my teaching strategies to meet the needs of my students? Will I commit to staying after school, without getting paid, in order to further my students with homework? Will I make my school environment better for kids and colleagues by maintaining a positive attitude? Will I make the commitment, no matter how hard things get, to stick it out in Detroit?

Tough? You bet.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 141.209.33.142
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bob, the staff here is really helpful from a professional point of view. I was kind of hoping someone could give me info from maybe a parent's point of view too.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 66.73.238.5
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay away from charter schools at all costs.

Bob

Post Number: 815
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charters are not the best teaching situation, because they are usually run by a corporation who is trying to make a profit. They pay the teachers less than public schools, skimp on benefits, and are prone to very high turnover of teachers, due to the fact that most want out of there at the first chance. Also if you look at their test scores, most are in much worse shape than most DPS schools, and will start having state enforced sanctions very soon.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the state sanctions for education will accomplish little unless the kids and their parents wise-up first and actually get down and do something constructive. Again, it's been the sow's ear/silk purse caper over and over for some three or four decades already, especially in DPS and some inner 'burbs.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 198.204.133.208
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of us as employees are evaluated based on our performance. We have goals, deadlines, sales targets, quotas. Education reform will only work once the teachers are held financially accountable for their students. Perhaps if teacher's salaries were based on student's test scores, teachers would have more of a motivation to teach than merely babysit.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1252
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stay away from Vetal school!

Just so you know, a lot of the elementary positions are already filled and it appears that a lot of potential openings will be filled with teachers moving around due to the full implementation of the No Child Left Behind Act and the inevitable layoffs that will happen due to the loss of students.

Don't get your heart set on Detroit, but if you do find an opening, go for it.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and u can also still move to the city and work in the burbs :-)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...if teacher's salaries were based on student's test scores,...

all students would get perfect grades. LOL

Andyguard73

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 141.209.34.191
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the advice guys, especially in regards to charter schools. We do hear a lot about them here, along with school of choice and other alternatives, but I didn't realize they were underperforming in Detroit so badly.

Morena, in regards to your post I didn't mean anything about the children. I come from a teaching family, and have actually been tutoring in the summer since I was 15. Rest assured that I do know that every child has vast potential, and I will do whatever I have to to adjust to the individual students. As far as the race of the students in the school, I don't care. It's whats in their heads that's important, not whats on the face. EVERYONE is unique. My post was more asking about how the schools were set up, what problems some have and what are good points, which everyone on this post has been very helpful with. Thanks guys!

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2638
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu's vote is The Foreign Language Immersion Cultural Studies school (K-8 next year...)

Bates and Chrysler are close seconds

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 397
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andyguard:

With everything being posted here, I strongly recommend you pick the worst academically performing Detroit elementary school and make the commitment to go there and make a difference!

Based on what you say about yourself, the most underserved and poor performing school children would benefit tremendously by having you help them.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 141.209.29.116
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morena I agree. I know talking to a lot of people in classes here they are going into teaching because they want to make a difference. We're an idealistic group I guess. It's important for every student to get the best chance they can.

Bvos

Post Number: 1263
Posted From: 66.238.170.39
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the flip side, many of the worst performing schools are performing so poorly due to inept administrators (I didn't say all administrators). So your efforts as a teacher may be wasted if the person in charge of you is thwarting your every move with incompetence.

Bob

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Bvos is correct, there are a lot of inept administrators out there, and they are the reason why there are bad teachers left in schools. Lack of parent support can also hurt a school, but there is never one single reason a school is failing. It is usually a combination of factors. Don't look for the problem of poor administrators to be fixed anytime soon. There is a huge shortage of them, so a lot of times, there is not a qualified administrator to take the place of the inept one. People do not want to deal with all the crap an administrator has to deal with.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 64.25.200.14
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you guys say administrators do you mean principals or higher up, within the school system itself? Or maybe both? Thanks again for sharing guys.

Bvos

Post Number: 1271
Posted From: 66.238.170.39
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes and yes.

Bob

Post Number: 818
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and yes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.