Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Computer repair place recommendations? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 4.229.27.161
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Sony Vaio (desktop) is on the fritz and it looks like it needs a professional to take a look at it (it boots up, but the task bar is locked, meaning that anything not on the actual desktop is inacessible--including grad school papers that are due in a week that are on my WordPerfect program! And no, the computer is not quite ancient yet--2002, Windows XP system).I'll bite the bullet and take it into Best Buy or someplace like that, but can anyone recommend any alternatives who are reliable, quick and relatively affordable? Thanks.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 917
Posted From: 63.41.40.152
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While Windows is booting, repeatedly depress the F8 key to boot into safe mode. Scroll down the menu to safe mode, let it crunch away for awhile.

If it boots into safe mode, you can transfer your files, and more importantly, Windows might actually repair itself.

Restart the computer into normal and see if it now works.

If you can't get into safe mode...

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reboot in safe mode with networking and do an online antivirus scan http://www.trendmicro.com/home /default.asp or install one if yours is outdated here is a good free one http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 and with some help someone a little more advanced in computers click start then run and run msconfig and see if theres a bug running on startup unclick it and reboot ..and by the way if you ever install a new anti-virus you must uninstall the old one first to running at the same time will lock up your computer

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the computer place in the 10000 block of Telegraph. They'll look at your system (probably without cost) and give you a go/no-go recommendation. They also have older P-3s and such like older Dell Optiflex GX1s for sale for around $100 or so, if you need a cheaper backup.

They also sell parts for building or upgrading your own system. Lots of older parts - really cheap too. There's also another place about a mile west of them that you can check out.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, I'll look at it. I'm relatively affordable compared to any place you'd take it too. No charge if I can't fix it. :-) I've been in the IT industry for 8 years.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 346
Posted From: 68.251.199.185
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father runs a PC repair business, you can find him at www.pcsym.com . He comes to you, you can also give him a call at 248-760-0420. Ask for Bruce.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Computing Express at the Penobscot. These guys are the best and you can't beat the prices.

Ask for Rob, he's the owner. #1 in my book. They've been doing stuff for me for years. Supplies, print cartridges, A to Z in computer repair, upgrade, purchase advice and everything else.

Can't beat 'em.

Computing Express - Penobscot (Griswold side)
Mon-Fri, 9 to 5.

later - naturalsister

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 66.238.170.32
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To respond to my original message, I ended up taking my computer to JRAComputer, which was a great decision. Jon charges $49 for on-site work, but gave me a HUGE break for dropping off the computer to him directly. I get the Computer Moron of the Year award: turns out my PC was infected with something like 180 viruses! I had Norton Anti-Virus, but--much to my surprise--he told me you actually have to pay a monthly fee to get current updates on it. Duh!!!

Anyway, he had to wipe out my whole C drive and needed to install a new CD-Rom drive and I got it all done for under $150!
I'd definitely go back to him in a heartbeat. Here's his info:
www.jracomputer.com
586-775-4868

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1149
Posted From: 68.85.155.145
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could have given me $150 to put Linux on there and you wouldn't have to worry about viruses anymore.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 561
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy a mac

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2367
Posted From: 66.167.58.120
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NAV charges a yearly renewal [$30], not monthly. Once set up it transparently sniffs out and downloads new virus definitions as they come out, also enhancements to he NAV software.

You should also set up Windows Update to likewise sniff out and automatically download and install patches for Windows.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had good results with Grisoft's AVG Professional - $39 for a two-year subscripion. Grisoft, a Czech company has been around for 15 years. Last fall, Intel Capital acquired a significant part of Grisoft.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2253
Posted From: 12.75.18.77
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get 6 months of NAV for free if you download it through the fairly new Google Pack software download package. I'm not sure what happens after 6 months but I wouldn't be surprised if the updated virus defs continued to be free as a way to keep people using Google Pack.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grisoft is all I use; I second that. Luckily I started using it while it was free, so I still get the free upgrades. Works very well, and I prefer to NAV, McAfee, etc.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For about $10 more (two years), Grisoft will integrate its software firewall with AVG Pro. I just use the freebie ZoneAlarm firewall as a Trojan-horse gatekeeper in conjunction with the hardware firewall. I'll probably upgrade to the combo AVG/FW when the subscription ends in August.

I always suffered some minor lack of functionality with either McAfee or Symantec. I could use McAfee for nothing because Comcast includes it with its 6 Mbs broadband but prefer my current non-McAfee setup.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 16, 2006)

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 340
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

norton resource hog ..I prefer my avg free over norton

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.