Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Most Thoughtful/Ignorant Comments on Water Rates (Free Press) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2404
Posted From: 199.74.87.51
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOST IGNORANT:

Posted by sklar kuhns | Mar 9, 2006 7:17:40 AM

Why is Detroit so elite? Don't they realize poor people live everywhere? Rates should be same for burb's and Detroit. Why doesn't the City of Detroit collect what is owed them from the citizens of Detroit? I have to pay my bills-no one pays them for me and if I don't pay them things are shut off. This the most inept Detroit Common Counsel - they have no experience and should not be in office.

Posted by Dick | Mar 9, 2006 7:21:06 AM

Instead of raising the rates for the hardworking, law abiding people in the suburbs whom actually pay their bills the city ought to go after their own citizens who seem to think it is unnecessary to pay their water bills. I'm sure the city has no problem going after, or even turning off the water of suburban residents who are delinquent.

Posted by Mary | Mar 9, 2006 9:19:58 AM

My auto insurance is not lower because I live in Livonia, its because it it is a safer city with less crime. Detroit could have the same priviledges of lower rates if it would clean up their act. I would rather pay more for water any day than live in that city, which by the way did not look like a ghetto when I lived there and we lived paycheck to paycheck. Maybe Detroit needs to take this new windfall and put it into education, and not necesarily into the Det. Pub. Schools. Adult education is also needed. Most of Det. problems is the school system that is making failures out of their students which will not lead to a successful life as an adult.

Posted by Todd | Mar 9, 2006 10:10:51 AM

Some of the comments are so typical. The poorer residents (Detroit) want to freeload off of the wealthier residents (suburbs). Don't you freeloaders feel guilty about that?! Wake up, get a job, and pay your own bills. We don't want to subsidize them by paying higher water bills.

And, as for the insurance costs, your insurance is more expensive due to the crime. Stop looting and crashing your cars and the insurance won't be so expensive.

I wish we would just build a suburban water system so that the City of Detroit can just wallow in its old broken down water system. We'll charge them a subsidy for no good reason. And, if they don't pay their bills, we'll shut it off.

MOST THOUGHTFUL

Posted by Carolyn Graham | Mar 9, 2006 7:22:12 AM

Don't be disenchanted about the high water rates imposed on the suburbanites, they have been riding the backs of Detroiter's for a very long time; Detroiter's subsidize their insurance rates, taxes, and other ammenities that they find comfort in. We are not complaining about the extremely high insurance rates for both auto's. homeowners, as well as health insurance. You cry out for fairness when it is to your advantage. As far as the Water Department takeover goes, the republicans should not make any attempts to take control of the Water Department. Stop crying and pay your fair share. I don't recall any crying when the gas bills went through the roof this winter. We all must bear things we don't like but deal with it.

Posted by Joyce Smith | Mar 9, 2006 6:45:41 AM

No one seems to be concerned that the many citizens in the City of Detroit have to pay more for AUTO insurance and HOMEOWNERS insurance. And I am not talking about people with poor driving records. The rate for auto and homeowners insurance FAR exceed what those individuals pay that live outside the City of Detroit. People want to talk about things being FAIR how about some equity the cost of insurance.

Posted by Freeze | Mar 9, 2006 2:23:22 PM

Most of south east michigan is ignorant. You have drastic increases in electric and gas bills and gas for your car. Yall are worried about a bill which is less than your avg cell phone or telephone bill. Who is really stupid is the people in communites in which there community has decided to charge 2,3, and 5 times what Detroit charges. Maybe, Detroit should take over that and then you will have only one entity to blame. If southeast michigan dont stop this racism then both Detroit and suburbs will be nothing and worthless.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3307
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really tire of hearing the suburbs complain about how they are being treated unfairly when for everyone of their claims, I can think up at least five ways they are screwing (or have screwed) the city. You can't have it both ways, and while that goes for Detroit, too, the incessent whinning about the water is often not legitimate as it has nothing to do about water rates at all, half the time, as shown in many of these comments.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 496
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah!

later - naturalsister

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 71.227.49.60
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay where's the five ways?

You can't have it one way.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 514
Posted From: 194.138.39.53
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poor people = freeloaders.

It was so obvious! I can't believe I never saw it before...

Those assholes who post on the Freep comments site always make so damned angry that I refuse to even read them anymore. I think there is a minimum Ignorance level necessary to even post there! It still amazing that their ignorance blinds them so much that they bind 100% of Detroit residents as poor people and therefore freeloaders. absolutely incredible. That's why I live in the City and why I hate the Metro region so much.

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 4.229.27.212
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A while back the JOA people published the markup rates. The debate over city vs burbs should have ended right there. That it did not is plain testimony to the stupidity and bad memory of the public, and I hold the media, the political system, and the ratepayers accountable.

The endless speculation and saber rattling is all a distraction. People need to wake up and smell the java. My fantasy is that Kwame or Kenny Cock, Victor M (does he live in Detroit yet?) even L Brooks will just plainly remind ratepayers that their local community will take the 6 percent and double/triple that. What the public will absorb is the endless hype of the media reporting people are upset, somebody will be slobbering at 6'oclock that they cant pay their bill, Jenny G saying all please lets work together, and blah blah blah...

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2407
Posted From: 199.74.87.51
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo, I think the Detroit City Council should kindly keep the rates unchanged for city residents for next year so that suburbanites will keep in mind that they better watch what they say in the public arena. What goes around comes back to haunt you.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3789
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburbs will declare WAR!!! on Detroit soon. If the suburbs don't take over The Detroit Water Dept.

For the suburbs POV the Detroit "CLOWNSIL" is playing the political cat and mouse game against the suburbantopians. Now legislatures in Michigan is considering a proposal to turn the control of the DPW to the suburbs. That way they would reverse the water rate hike make Detroiters pay higher rates and the suburbantopians pay cheaper rates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.