Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Strata Concert Gallery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 148.87.1.172
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever been? If so, who did you see and when? I was too young to go when it was open, but would be interested in stories and/or info on this forgotten Detroit venue.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 66.77.102.10
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was closely involved with Strata for most of its existence. It was an intimate showplace for quality jazz, featuring the likes of Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Herbie Hancock, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Elvin Jones, and many others.
It started life in a second story walkup on Michigan Ave. near the train station, then moved to Selden St. in the Cass Corridor.
I was at WDET at the time and mixed and recorded live and time delayed broadcasts of some of the artists who performed there. If those tapes are still around, I'd think there would be a lot of interest from people in hearing them again.

Phil Mendelson

Nip

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 67.38.12.57
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil, I've seen some Charles Mingus and Herbie Hanock shows from 1973 floating around the world wide web, although I'm not sure their lineage (audience or FM). When did Strata open/close? Is the location on Selden still there?

Philm

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip, I moved from Detroit in 1974, so know nothing of what became of the building. The space had formerly been a photograpic studio, and started up around 1970, if I remember correctly. By 1974, it was gone.
The address was either 46 or 90 Selden...for some reason I cannot remember which. Google local shows that both still exist, and from the aerial view, I'd guess 46 is the one.
If you have links to any of the Mingus or Hancock stuff, I'd love to be able to check them out.

Phil (philm67@mac.com)

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 574
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I well remember the Strata, Mingus, Charles Moore, Elvin, etc. Think the address was 46 - have some posters or something from Strata around here, somewhere...
Was an unpretentious spot, sound was good, music was great.
Nice to see you posting, Phil, been many moons since we've been face-to-face. You ever talk to Bud Spangler?

Philm

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim,

It's been at least 5 years since I spoke with Bud, but I do speak to and see Charles Moore now and then. Years ago here in LA, I recorded and mixed (even co-produced one) some records with Charles.
One of my fond memories was being a peripheral 'member' of the CJQ with Charles and the others, 'playing' (actually making sounds) synthesizer in the early 70's

Phil

Nip

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 148.87.1.171
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil,

There is a Yahoo! group called "Jazz Vines". You may want to check it out.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com /group/JazzVines/

Good Luck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.