Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Raises Subuarban Water Rates « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2599
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Council Approves Water Rate Increase for Suburbs
By Michael Rosenfield
Web produced by Sarah Morgan
March 8, 2006

Wednesday, Detroit City Council voted to raise water rates for those living in the suburbs. Now there is also concern whether the action will lead to further divide between suburbs and city.

During the city council meeting, Wednesday afternoon, Council President Protem Monica Conyers moved to vote on water rates. Councilman Kwame Kenyatta then introduced a substitute resolution to only vote on water rates that affect suburban customers.

The resolution passed by a vote of 5 to 4 and was supported by JoAnn Watson, Barbara Rose-Collins, Martha Reeves and Brenda Jones.

The surprise resolution shocked Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel.

"This is what’s really unfortunate. We’re dealing with a substitute motion that isn’t even in front of us. We got it after we voted," she said.

If legal, the vote means water rates for the 126 suburban communities that purchase Detroit water would go up an average 5.9%. Water rates for Detroit customers would be unchanged.

The vote was a great relief to the Michigan Welfare Rights association that said 40,000 city residents had their water turned off last year because they couldn’t afford the payments.

Sylvia Orduno, Michigan Welfare Rights, said "Because there are so many people that are on fixed incomes and a lot of people that are living below the poverty level it’s hard for them to continue to pay their water bill in particular."

Council members are researching whether Wednesday’s move by Councilman Kenyatta followed proper parliamentary procedure—whether it was legal to separate the wholesale rate charged to the suburbs from the retail rate charged to Detroit residents.

"I just know that in this region the escalation around the rhetoric of race and residency has reached unfortunate proportions. Everybody on all sides needs to stop it, cut it out," said Councilwoman Shelia Cockrel.

Marian Kramer, Michigan Welfare Rights, said "The suburbs gonna attack Detroit anyway, that’s not gonna stop."

If Wednesday’s vote was legal, the new water rates would take effect July 1. City council has until then to vote on other increases for Detroit residents.

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_lo cal_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_1 5924_4525053,00.html

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 69.246.43.231
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.dwsd.org/cust/under standing_rates.pdf

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2397
Posted From: 199.74.87.51
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to hear the suburbanites whine and complain.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 539
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which ones?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, so they're only raising Suburban rates? good, because I was afraid my City rate was going up too. NOT! Why do they do that? It's not JUST the suburban rates that are going up, it's EVERYONE'S!

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo: But the article clearly states that suburban rates are increasing, while Detroit rates remain unchanged (for now). That doesn't exactly promote that warm fuzzy relationship with the suburbs that we all wish the city had.

I really wish the system became regional. I guess I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be - a majority of the water is purchased by non-city residents.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one!

The council needs to look at the other side for a change. What if a suburban service provider only charged higher rates to city residents? I'll bet they wouldn't like that too much. I think someone may even scream racism.

I guess regional cooperation is only good if people from the suburbs are helping Detroit. You are welcome for helping clean the joint up for the Super Bowl.

As far as Sylvia Orduno saying it's great "Because there are so many people that are on fixed incomes..." all I can say is who isn't on a fixed income? Like everyone in the the burbs' is running around with unlimited resources.

Detroitduo,

What about this don't you get?

"If legal, the vote means water rates for the 126 suburban communities that purchase Detroit water would go up an average 5.9%. Water rates for Detroit customers would be unchanged. "

Seems pretty clear to me that JUST SUBURBAN rates are going up.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking forward to when Detroit does not control the water system, or much of anything else (Hoping for recievership)

and getting real tired of the "we can't raise rates because of the poor people," so we can raise rates and put a higher burden on everyone else and people wonder why the middle class is pouring out of the city.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2601
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its in recivership now. Ask Judge Fiekens....

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3534
Posted From: 69.220.69.206
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Standard business procedures .... pass the additional costs on to certain consumers! BUT .... that's only permissable when whites are running the show! Go figure ....

Mayhaps Detroit should just STOP selling its' water to anyone except Detroit Residents ....

Black-atcha .... watching dollar stores replace the "5 & Dime" in certain targeted communities

(Message edited by Rasputin on March 09, 2006)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so looking forward to the move to Charlevoix!

so unreal, everyone should pay the same for the water, how do you justify raising only the subs water? I call RACISIM!

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 466
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras,

Great Idea, stop selling water to the burbs, they build thier own system and then the few Detroiters that are left who pay thier bills will see how great it is to subsidize the freeloaders that populate our city, maybe that's what is need to spur change, which is also sorely needed.

Sorry Miss_cleo its only racism when someone in Detroit feels wronged (smile).

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 69.213.86.74
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian says "What if a suburban service provider only charged higher rates to city residents?"

Are you making this same arguement about auto insurance Rates? Homeowners insurance Rates? Renters Insurance Rates?

Before anyone jumps up in arms I suggest you take a look at the difference between your municipalities wholesale cost and what they are charging you.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well CC just gave the state justification to come in and "take" the water department from the City. There is already a resolution pending in the state legislature regarding this. It will probably sail through now.

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 192.152.100.150
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You to the CC for the push towards the regional system.
Couldn't have done it without out you!
You sure showed the suburbs.
By the way, how is that boycott going?
Take it one step further, Detroiters shouldn't work in the suburbs either...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5673
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone should pay the same for the water, how do you justify raising only the subs water? I call RACISIM!

Wow, that was fast, Ms Cleo.

We should NOT all pay the same rate. Water rates vary by community based on certain factors. For example, the further your city is located from Detroit, the more it costs to pump water out there. Also, the time of day in which cities refill their resivoirs is an issue. The costs of getting water out to the hinterlands is high and that should be reflected in the rates.

That said, the Council did a boneheaded move by only raising rates for the suburbs. I'm sure they eventually will raise Detroit rates, but want to resolve the issue of providing water for the poor first. They should have tabled everything and voted on the rate hikes together.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5674
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would everyone take a deep breath? The Council does NOT intend to raise suburban rates but not City rates. They raised suburban rates and, very quickly, will raise city rates, too. They simply want to address a proposal to provide assistance for the poor, first. We will have parity soon.

And the State can huff and puff all it wants, but it cannot assume control of the Water Department. It is firmly in control of Judge John Feikens at U.S. District Court and he is content to let the Mayor of Detroit run the system.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 141.217.173.125
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive around Melvindale, Ecorse, River Rouge, or Lincoln Park and tell me that those "suburbanites" are living the sweet life of the upper middle class. They are not. Many suburban communities are filled with lower class and fixed income residents who have just as much trouble paying their utilities as many Detroit residents, but now they get an extra increase in their water bill as well. Doesn't quite seem fair, does it?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5675
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan, if the downriver communities have citizens who have trouble paying their water bills, then perhaps those cities should do what Detroit is doing this very minute: COnsider a rate scheme to help offset the costs of those unable to pay.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6941
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If legal, the vote means water rates for the 126 suburban communities that purchase Detroit water would go up an average 5.9%. Water rates for Detroit customers would be unchanged.

Absolutely stupid. This council is proving to be way too decisive already. Anyone in the suburbs that is subjected to the increase has all the right in the world to bitch about it.

This council is an embarrasment.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember that the Detroit rate increase, last year, was higher than the Suburban rate increase. Regardless, I still pay higher W&S rates than I did when I lived in the 'burbs.

p.s. I didn't exactly read the article, for those who helped me with my own stupidity and laziness. Regardless, I'm behind ItsJeff on this one. The CC will no doubt double increase the City rate and THAT won't make it into the local papers, that's for sure. And none of you will have nothing but praise for it, IF you ever hear about it at all!

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5676
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I... I don't know how to explain this any more simply. Maybe if I use sock puppets.

The Council does NOT intend to leave Detroit's rates unchanged. They simply bifurcated the process (perhaps illegally.) They voted to raise suburban rates yesterday and will vote to raise Detroit rates as soon as they work out a scheme to assist people who need assistance paying their water bill.

It was stupid in that they should have done all of the rates at the same time. But they are NOT simply raising suburban rates without raising Detroit rates.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They voted to raise suburban rates yesterday and will vote to raise Detroit rates as soon as they work out a scheme to assist people who need assistance paying their water bill.

what? people in the'burbs dont need assistance? some need help as well ya know, but arent given a fair shake here

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5677
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what? people in the'burbs dont need assistance? some need help as well ya know, but arent given a fair shake here

How are the suburbs not being given a fair shake? Those communities are welcome to do what Detroit is doing now, examining a proposal to assist low-income citizens. Detroit cannot impose this plan on the suburbs. They'll have to do it for themselves.

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.43.81.255
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be great if the upper middle class/rich Grosse Ille decided to build a state of the art water treatment plant and provided water to all those poor downriver people. Then the poor and middle class suburbs would be subject to giving money to a community that can manage money. Don't get me wrong, I love Detroit, but maybe if they were to fix just a few old water mains that they would not have to raise rates. Or better yet learn how to manage money. Fine slap a higher tax on the suburbys, but wait till Detroit gets slapped with KK's good ole fast food tax. Ohh and by the way your rich white suburbys don't eat fast food downtown, except maybe at WSU, they eat at restaurants. KK get your act in order and just have an overall restaurant tax.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5678
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jqls, what you don't understand about this issue would fill a warehouse.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1323
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this talk about Detroit mismanaging the water department is based on what?

Cost?
Detroit ranks amongst the lowest for major US cities in water rates.
http://www.dwsd.org/cust/city_ rate_comp.pdf

Quality?
Quality Reports look good to me and to bottled water company Dasani who uses Detroit water for their bottled water.
http://www.dwsd.org/cust/wqr_2 004.pdf

So where is this mismanagement that everyone speaks of? The DWSD is something Detroit actually does well. So if there is info that shows otherwise, I'm curious to see it.

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 69.212.34.58
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the wholesale rate for water in Detroit? in Suburbia?

How about we see some numbers and do some comparison before ppl go apeshit over a little increase. The suburbs may actually be paying less wholesale for water than detroit.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1084
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water bills to rise in suburbs

"We've had so many increases," she said. "If there was something they could work out for low-income people, that would be a solution. It seems real unfair to us, but we have a poor city being supported by a lot of suburbs."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060309/NEW S05/603090561/1007/NEWS

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8203
Posted From: 70.53.99.72
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those increases that they (the 'burbs)have seen should be looked at closely because Detroit didn't raise most of those rates their own regions did.

Maybe these so-called educated folk need a lesson on how to read their water bills.

Jqls
Username: Jqls

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.43.81.255
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mismanagement of the city as a whole. Yes lowest among major us cities, but access to fresh water is so prevalent. New York brings their water in form up state. Its not just this water issue that gets me upset, it is the fact that people make so many excuses for a city in pure disarray. And for itsjeff I am sorry, maybe you can dismantle that warehouse and provide me with some understanding material.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC doesn't need to raise the rates, especially in Detroit. 50% increase in water rates over the pass 5 years. Damn, when does it end?

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2608
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never ends 1honey, especially with sprawl....

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 753
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So where is this mismanagement that everyone speaks of? The DWSD is something Detroit actually does well.

And run by a guy who lives in the suburbs....

1honey

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

& don't forget, he is clocking some BIG DOLLAR$.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1086
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa,

The guy that heads up the DWSD is a suburban. Wouldn't the Mayor have to consult with him regarding necessary costs, upgrades, etc? If that is the case, then he would have a say in any water rate hikes, correct? If this suburban is managing the system so well, then why the uproar when he advises the Mayor on the financial needs of the DWSD? The rate hike is real and necessary. Many core cities have aging water and sewer issues that no one wants to address until it is too late--meaning fines from the federal government. The core cities are oftentimes too cash-strapped to pay for the needed upgrades. Moreover, the suburbanites don't realize the impact that sprawl and decades of disinvestment has on these aging infratructures. Someone has to pay for the upgrades, it is not a matter of ownership, and it will cost a lot more in the long run for everyone--city and suburbs alike. Everyone that utilize the services of the DWSD should have to pay for it. It is a hard pill to swallow. Even if the DWSD was regionalized, the same decisions regarding rate hikes would have to be made. Hopefully, the money will go towards upgrading the infrastructure so that the substantial future rate hikes are eliminated.

Spartacus

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The issue, for me at least, isn't whether or not water rates need to be increased. If we continue to have high quality water and relatively cheap prices I have no problem with paying a little more. (As an aside: I'm sure we can all agree that if outlying areas are getting "hooked-up" to the water supply then they should pay for the cost, we should not be subsidizing sprawl.)

This isn't the issue. The issue, IMHO, is that CC is politically tone deaf. If they're going to increase rates for everyone then why do it in two steps? Especially if you're not sure it's even legal. How did they think the headlines would look?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit water system uses a capital-intensive infrastructure to provide a superior product at a competitive price. Operating costs continue to rise and they must be passed off to the users, eventually including those in Detroit. Sooner or later the Detroit CC will get around to approving the rest of the rate increases. However, if certain customers are given a free-ride, it must be very transparent who is making up the difference.

Contrary to what Itsjeff thinks he knows, the farther your city is located from Detroit has little to do with how much it costs to pump water out there. There are two water intakes (and treatment facilities), one upstream of Belle Isle and the other in Lake Huron, near Lexington. The entire region is interconnected and can be served with treated water from either intake. Also, the reserviors are scattered across the region and are always filled at night when demand is low.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 69.136.144.196
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They didn't give a damn that's the impression I got from watching Ch 10. When Kenyetta introduced this idea his basic argument was the burbs aren't going to like this whether they did it that day or next month. Just an amazing lack of political savy.

Goat

Post Number: 8211
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg...Who is gong to pay for those water lines? Who is going to pay for the upkeep?

Itsjeff is not that far off.

It looks like tit for tat with regards to the Zoo fiasco IMO.

321brian

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mw2gs says "Are you making this same arguement about auto insurance Rates? Homeowners insurance Rates? Renters Insurance Rates?"

No, there is a good reason those rates are higher in Detroit than in other cities. I shouldn't have to tell you why.

After further review I have found out that a Detroit increase is coming.

It will be up to suburban leaders to figure out a way to help its less fortunate pay for their water.

I think the WXYZ story was just poorly written.

Finally, if the water dpt. wanted to something smart they should tell any developer in any outlying burb' that they will need to find their own water source. Stop the sprawl.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 543
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That further from town costs more argument goes against how all utilities are managed and priced.

The closer to a Power Plant you are means its is cheaper to deliver power to you than someone 100 miles away, but we all pay the same. Why, it is for the public good.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5679
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contrary to what Mikeg thinks, he is an asshole. If the information I'm providing is in error, than Victor Mercado is wrong, since I got it from him.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 69.213.86.74
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian....Why are rates in Detroit so much higher in your honest opinion?

Mikeg

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the further your city is located from Detroit, the more it costs to pump water out there"

This is true only if all DWSD water is pumped from Detroit. I simply stated that it is more complicated than that since there are other DWSD water intakes and treatment plants that are not in Detroit.

Your counter argument is to drop a name.......... and I'm the asshole?

321brian

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh....probably because more stuff gets stolen in Detroit.

Honestly!

Why do you think they are higher?

Insurance companies don't just make up what rates they charge. If any company were to randomly charge higher rates in one area the news, then the government would be all over them.

It's called redlining. It's illegal.

Goat

Post Number: 8215
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321Brian, then why does Detroit pay the highest insurance rates yet does not have the highest thefts?

321brian

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who has the highest thefts and what are they stealing?

If you thinnk your getting cheated call someone out on it. Get 7 on your side.

321brian

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det. News 2-7-06

"Wayne County reported a 5.4 percent drop, but continued to log the highest number, with 31,005 thefts. Wayne's numbers are boosted by auto theft in Detroit, where a decrease of 3.1 percent was reported."

Goat

Post Number: 8216
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the entire nation.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5680
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your counter argument is to drop a name.......... and I'm the asshole?

I wasn't dropping a name, I was citing my source. Okay, you aren't an asshole. But it's too early for you to be this snarky.

321brian

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Detroit was in the top ten as recently as 2004 ans yest I know that Detroit was found to have the highest insurance rates in the country last year.

However, Michigan has some of the highest insurance rates in the country anyway. Freakin' No-Fault!!

What is your point? How does this relate to water rates?

What to do you think the reason behind Detroit high insurance rates?

321brian

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOAT,

Is this how it is? You can only ask hard question because you can't answer them?

Goat

Post Number: 8217
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not at all but this thread degenerated into the insurance biz and why Detroit pays higher rates than it should. YOu said that the insurance companies were not redlining becasue it is illegal. I disagree that they are not redlining, what is the true reason for such rates? It isn't just because of "no-fault". Considering no-fault was supposed to LOWER the rates which is why everyone wanted it. We know now this isn't the case but this still isn't the reason why Detroit has the HIGHEST rates in the nation. What else is there?

321brian

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know? It seems like you are implying that there is some sinister plan behind it. Tell me what you think.

Redlining is illegal and it is taken VERY seriously.

If you don't have any answers maybe Bill Gallagher can find some.

http://fox2detroit.com/

Mikeg

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your reconsideration.

I wouldn't quibble with much of anything Mr. Mercado has to say or recommend to KK and the CC. From what I can tell, he is a competent director, regardless of where he might live.

BTW, on this thread I detected the first blip on the old Snarkmeter(TM) at 11:00AM.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2404
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how the CC "needed more time" and questioned the "legality" of the zoo deal, yet made an illegal vote on the water deal on a whim.

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 67.38.23.104
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drink more "BUD LIGHT" & DO NOT WATER YOUR LAWN, that will help. That's the way we do it way up here in ROSEVILLE !!!

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Posted From: 68.73.196.127
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's to say the rates in the city aren't already higher and the increase is just to even things out. Whats the big deal......the gas prices in the Burbs are 10 or 20 cent higher.......Insurance rates in the city are double sometime triple of what they are in the Burbs.....it all balances out.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3791
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another WAR!!! Has been declared against Detroit from most Oakland and Macomb County cities.

Mayor of White Detroit L.B. Patterson will moblize his troops.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro: I guess it's okay to racistly call Detroit residents "freeloading" off the backs of suburbanites, eh?

Bobj

Post Number: 548
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will we ever have any regional unity?? If both sides (city/suburbs) keep taking shots at each other we will continue our downward spiral.

Charging the suburbs more than the city is just wrong.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1855
Posted From: 4.229.3.45
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, here we are whining about water rates..... Lets put this in perspective shall we.... and pardon my vulgarity..... GO LOOK AT YOUR FUCKING DTE OR CONSUMERS GAS BILLS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, that should take your minds off the piddling water rates.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, people don't have anyone to blame at DTE. At least they can blame the physical presence of the Detroit City Council. ::shakes my head::

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Posted From: 64.118.149.50
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE and my $300 gas bill! Thats an entirely different story. Bobj I totally agree. Maybe not in our life time. But with all the intelligent opinions I've read in this forum why does it seem the News papers could not explain the same ways. Those one sided headlines and the under tones always seem to unrest the natives. More factual input into headlines and stories.

Bertz
Username: Bertz

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 68.61.15.89
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have couple quick questions

First does Detroit own the distribution pipes and pumps outside the city and if not who pays the bill for upkeep and electricity (for the distribution pumps)

Second I have herd the water theft or illegal usage rate within the city is as are as high as 15%. If this is not fact, then what is the actual rate?

I would appreciate hard fact instead of speculation

(Message edited by bertz on March 10, 2006)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2405
Posted From: 71.144.117.205
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, here we go again. No facts, all emotional, gratuitous use of claims of racism. Make bogus claims and then fein being the "victim". Let's try to defend CC (once again) because "they look like us". Regardless of the facts. Also, let's somehow pretend that non-Detroiters aren't the vast majority of customers that support the water system.

Don't make a Black woman who goes to Northwestern angry, right?

Spartacus

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE has to get rate increases approved by the state.

Bertz

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Bobj

Post Number: 552
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a suburbanite, I really try hard to defend the City and get friends/neighbors/relatives to look at the City with a positive view and that things are getting better and if we all put our differences aside, we could make Metropolitian Detroit what we would all really like to see.

But when you see public officials like the Detroit CC and LB Patterson say and do the things they do, it makes you want to just move somewhere else where these issues are so magnified by people, the media, and public officials.

This round of tension really could have been avoided if the Zoo and Water rate issue was better handled. Someone has to be the first to stop it and take the high road.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1455
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Bobj

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waiting as well!

As my Mother always said - change starts with you.

321brian

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the City Council would be fine if D.T.E. or Consumers decided to raise rates only in Detroit.

How much would you pay to see L.B.P. and one member (your choice) of City Council in a cage match at the zoo. All of the money will go to the Zoological Society. Should be good times all around!

Bertz

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

"I have couple quick questions

First does Detroit own the distribution pipes and pumps outside the city and if not who pays the bill for upkeep and electricity (for the distribution pumps)

Second I have herd the water theft or illegal usage rate within the city is as are as high as 15%. If this is not fact, then what is the actual rate?

I would appreciate hard fact instead of speculation"

Mikeg

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DWSD owns the water distribution system, including pumping stations and reserviors, up to the point where it is delivered to suburban customers. The DWSD does not own the suburban water distribution systems, they are owned by the individual suburbs. All owners are responsible for the maintenance and operation of their respective distribution systems.

The DWSD delivers water to each of their suburban customers via meter pits that connect to each suburb's system. The DWSD is contracturally bound to provide a maximum flow and a minimum pressure to each suburban customer and each suburban customer is contracturally bound to pay for all water that is delivered through their meter pit at the rates set by the City of Detroit.

I have not read any figures for water theft or non-payment. However, I have heard estimates as high as 20% for losses due to leaks in the distribution systems, particularly in the areas that have older water mains. Suburbs that have leaky mains pay for the metered water they lose. I cannot tell you how losses due to leaks in the DWSD-owned distribution system are allocated between the city and suburbs.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now a moot point:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=200660310014

Bertz

Post Number: 535
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Mikeg

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4706
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Council members approved the rate hikes with an understanding that Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick would have an affordability plan in place no later than April 12 which would provide relief for low-income Detroit residents.

So there will be concessions for low-income Detroit residents. Will there be similar concessions for low-income suburbanites? Or are only poor Detroiters worthy of a handout?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_aram, that's a good question. The Water Affordability Plan being pushed for by the City Council will affect only Detroit's retail customers. It will be up to each individual suburb to determine for themselves if they need to enact any similar type plan to assist their own low-income residents.

Danny

Post Number: 3796
Posted From: 198.111.165.162
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburbs will say " THIS MEANS WAR!!!" Waiting for a another race riot to happen.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3328
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You WISH, Danny. I'm sure that prospect must arouse you like no other. lol

1honey

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE has to get rate increases approved by the state.

So we all should have been bitching at the state, right?

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But when you see public officials like the Detroit CC and LB Patterson say and do the things they do, it makes you want to just move somewhere else where these issues are so magnified by people, the media, and public officials.

damn skippy, last one out of Metro Detroit, turn out the lights, the whole area is run by idiots, its only gonna get worse, get out while you can

Danny

Post Number: 3810
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor of White Detroit L.B. Patterson would say about city's water increase for the suburbantopians. "F*%^# the Detroit City Council!! They can be like the Detroit Zoo Animals and roam around in their barless enviroments."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.