Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Russell Simmons: "Get Your Money Right" - Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an FYI, for the headz on the board.

Wednesday - March 8, 2006 by James Bartlett

Russell Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit Action Network (HSAN) is launching the 2006 "Get Your Money Right" tour in response to growing debt in America.

According to statistics, the amount of debt the average American carries has been steadily increasing for decades now. Young people of color are particularly susceptible to this trend of poor financial planning. In order to raise consciousness and to educate young people about the importance of financial management, HSAN decided to follow-up the "Get Your Money Right" tour they started in 2005.

"Poverty and basic lack of knowledge must be challenged," said Simmons, Chairman of HSAN, via a statement. "'Get Your Money Right' is more than a theme. It is an achievable goal when you have the right information. We have high aspirations, but we know to fulfill the aspirations of the hip-hop generation, we have to take the subjects of financial literacy and empowerment seriously and talk with youth in a manner appealing to them."

Along with sponsors, Chrysler Financial and Anheuser-Busch, HSAN will kick of its financial empowerment tour on March 25 at Detroit's Wayne State University.

(Message edited by TREEZ4BRKFST on March 08, 2006)

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 148.87.1.171
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...I wonder how much Simmons is being paid for this. Clearly he's not in it to help the community, just line his pocket. I'm sure there is a catch to get kids to sign up for the "Hip-Hop Visa/MasterCard" @ 22% APR. This guy sucks, as does Def Jam Poetry and his annoying wife Kamora (sp?).

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 929
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has done this before and it seems that it is just an advertising stint for that card he is pushing. Yeah right empowerment...he is trying to get richer, thats all.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 550
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main: "he is trying to get richer, thats all."
Seems right in line with what he's trying to convey to others.

If he can effectively use his influence to convince the target audience that they need to be smarter with their money and make a better future for themselves and their children, etc, then who cares what his ulterior motives are? If even a fraction of the target audience has the eyes to see through the cynicism in the criticism, and absorb the real messsage for what it is, I'd consider it a success.

[btw, I'm no Russell Simmons fan, I'm just callin' it like I see it. Nip: yes 'Kimora' is very annoying, arrogant, condescending, self-righteous, and a simple straight-up b**ch. (had the extreme displeasure of working with her twice). Just my 2-cents.]

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1518
Posted From: 69.212.214.242
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell Simmons is a "hypocrite." He now tells young blacks to "get their money right," but he wasn't saying that crap when he was convincing the "Hip-Hop" crowd to buy his outrageouly expensive clothing and other accessories. I'm sure many young blacks had to use their credit cards(with the 22% interest) to pay for the crap he sells. At this point in time, Russell Simmons is not the person to be giving this kind of advice.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 501
Posted From: 64.148.228.76
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all are some haters! The necessity of this man's influence is undeniable, but I guess that's why they call it denial.

Why do people become so jealous and fearful when some one is able to take what they do and earn a gazillion dollars with it.

Like Kimora or not, bitch or not, her impact on the fashion industry for an American woman from a background such as hers is due much respect.

Get a life haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ttgapers.com/Articl e1165.html
http://www.nobodysmiling.com/h iphop/news/70829.php

from GBN (Global Black News)
"he's become a constant feature in the New York Times, Newsweek Magazine and many other newspapers and magazine across the country. Hailed as among the one hundred most influential African Americans by Crain Magazine"

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20 040401/25simmons.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/theyma deamerica/whomade/simmons_hi.h tml

http://energycommerce.house.go v/107/hearings/10012002Hearing 718/Simmons1179.htm

later-naturalsister

Nip

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 67.38.12.57
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Royce. Well put.

Crash_nyc, it's not clear that his program has really "Helped" anyone, apart from the Simmons family. I've never read anything about the positive impact this program has had on the black community, or any community for that matter. If it has helped young people, then GREAT, it just seems a bit strange that nothing (to my knowledge) has ever been released about the people it has helped, nor has Simmons bragged about it. And as you may know, this ignorant fool likes to brag about himself.

As Royce said, Simmons is a "hypocrite". F#*k him and his nasty-ass wife. I can't believe she was a model. Wait, no I take that back, anything is possible in a country where people buy products from the likes of Paris Hilton...

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 71.4.97.70
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naturalsister is right. You all are a bunch of envious pricks. Russell has been helping our community before most of you could pee straight. How the f*ck are you going to knock a young black man for either a) owning a business and creating wealth, b) trying to help others do the same.

Next time, say something positive or STFU!

Broken_main

Post Number: 942
Posted From: 68.42.79.6
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haters my eye, Russell Simmons is in the game for one reason....TO MAKE MONEY.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/ article.cgi?file=/chronicle/ar chive/2004/09/19/BUG578QH9N1.D TL&type=business

read this article and check out all of the fees associated with the RUSH CARD...he just ought to go on missions to save the people in third world countries.

We should all know by now that when all of these so called rich and famous people go on these missions they don't take their own friggin money. They ask us and then they take our money and make themselves look good.

Nip

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romanized, WAKE UP! Before anything, Simmons is a businessman. Money comes before everything, even the black community. Jealous, I think not, I make a good living and money has never led me to be jealous of anyone, try again... I find it unsettling that you support someone you know nothing about, just because he’s black. Would you feel the same way if he/she were a Latino?

Naturalsister, those articles you posted say a lot about his achievements in the entrainment industry, and yes, quite frankly he has influenced a lot of people and made a $hit load of money along the way. What those articles don't say is exactly what he has done as a philanthropist, which he claims to be. As for Jamaica, what exactly did he do? He pledged his support, support for what?

The point of this discussion is not to shortchange the financial success and cultural influence of Russell Simmons. The point, as far as I’m concerned, is that he’s not as great as you think he is. There is no jealousy here; I just feel that if he’s going to talk the talk, then he should walk the walk, too.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 65.43.38.126
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How the f*ck are you going to knock a young black man for either a) owning a business and creating wealth, b) trying to help others do the same.

Russel Simmons is like, 50.

Broken_main

Post Number: 944
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for NIPpin that in the bud NIP

Nip

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main, thanks for the article. This just further proves my point.

"The RushCard costs $19.95 to set up. There's a $1 fee every time the customer makes a purchase or writes a check; each ATM withdrawal costs $1.50 plus the fee -- usually $1 to $2 -- charged by the bank that owns the ATM."

ROTFLMAO. I guess everything has a price.

Still think he's a great man Romanized, Naturalsister?

He's about as great as those "Check into Cash" places that charge you 100% interest on a short term loan. WAKE UP!

Naturalsister

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip,

Sounds like a WHOLE LOT of cards out there. And Shark - get a relevant point. Is there any room for the phrase 'young black man' as a colloquialism around here? You all kill me.

You are judging this guy on one business venture or his accomplishments as a whole.

I hope all of you can stand up to this kind of criticism when you become worth $300,000,000.00.

later - naturalsister

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 804
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash_nyc makes the best argument...I'm not a RS fan either. In making their points, Nip and broken main have proven Natural Sister's point...they are haters.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 503
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is he not WALKING THE WALK? I agree complete with you Eastside, that Crash makes a good point.

I just feel the need to defend Kimora because her influence is more important and FAR more reaching than her personal dealings and relationships.

The world needs to witness women of color with this much creative control in such a big industry like fashion. Nobody really every refers to tough, savvy, successful men in business this way. But I won't turn this thread into some feminist hysteric rant.

later - naturalsister

Romanized

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip,

Did he beat you up as a kid and take your lunch money? You have no reason to hate on him like this.

People in Detroit hate successful business people, and wonder why nobody wants to do business here.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 505
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got three more words to say:

Ro-man-ized.

later - naturalsister

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 69.208.243.52
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And Shark - get a relevant point.

Yeah, sorry. I guess stating the truth has no business in yet another thread full of racial hysterics.

Just remember everyone, if you are planning on getting a RushCard, be sure to get the hot-pink branded Baby Phat RushCard so that you can get special discounts when you buy things from Kimora Lee Simmons' website.

Nip

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me what you will, I'm okay with the term "Hater". If that means thinking he's a smug, self-indulgent, greedy individual, who preys on the less fortunate, then so be it. This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it. If you think differently, then that's your opinion. If you think the good he does (whatever that is) out weighs the bad, then that we agree to disagree.

And BTW Naturalsister, HOW IS he doing the walk? Your links proved nothing to support your claim.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1094
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell Simmons...another poverty pimp. I place him right up there with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Ugh!

(...and his wife needs liposuction on her fat, turkey neck...Signed, A Hata).

Romanized

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip,
"This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it."

Sure your entitled to your opinion. Its just stupid.

Shave,
Why not just post this on your blog, www.InternetD*ckRider.com, and leave the rational conversation to adults.

Signed,
Not a random loser talking sh*t about other people's apperance (over the internet of all places, LOL)!!!

P.S.
Take your butt-buddy Nips with ya.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His holdings prove that he's walking the walk (taking care of finances and not squandering earnings).

And don't behave like you all don't know what I'm saying. We have heard of many very, very wealthy people jacking off their money.

It's not that I think he's Ghandi, it's that I that know you all you are jealous haters who are mad because you can't find anything to pimp.

and again...

"I hope all of you can stand up to this kind of criticism"

even though we all know how folks can dish it but...

later - naturalsister

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R.S. should try to explain the benefits of actually having a checking account instead of trying to make money off of those who are less financially savy. Maybe then everyone would have more money to buy his ugly wifes ugly crap.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Shave' stated....

quote:

"I place him right up there with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Ugh!"

Darn it! I was just starting to like you!:-(

super d(motordetroit)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 555
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"his wife needs liposuction on her fat, turkey neck"...

It's really sad how threads like this can decompose into simple hate, ignorance and jealousy.
What are you afraid of?
Likely response: "I ain't afriad of nothin'!" Nice.

I may criticize some of the celebs I've worked with for their personalities, but never for their business sense, if it's good. No one is puting a gun to the heads of those who decide to spend ridiculous amounts of money on Russell & Kimora's products. They put it out there, and they're making money. If you want to climb on the "hater" bandwagon, go ahead, and continue to remain irrevelant citizens who choose to contribute nothing but hate and jealousy to this diatribe. At least Russell is trying use his influence in a positive way. Can't fault him on that, even if he is making an extra buck off it...what else would a smart, monied businessman in his position do? What would YOU do if you were fortunate enough to be in his shoes? Work for nothing?

Like Naturalsister said, "We have heard of many very, very wealthy people jacking off their money." 'Nuff said.

If Russell Simmons was making $30K a year and trying to make an extra $5K, what would the criticism be? It's all relative. Fast-forward to him being a multi-millionaire, and now he's hated.

Again, like I first said, I'm no RS fan, but I have to respect his business sense.

http://www.fastcompany.com/onl ine/76/rushhour.html
"Simmons's success comes as much from what he is not as from what he is. He is not a man who made it big and then abandoned his roots but rather one who is still as comfortable on the streets of the inner city as he has become on Wall Street....He is radical and approachable at the same time. He is, in a word, authentic."

Naturalsister

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's all! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

later - naturalsister

Broken_main

Post Number: 948
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What i tire of is the fact that folks want to label people they don't even know just for being opinionated. It's a forum for goodness sake and why does it always have to turn into a name calling session here. first you are call a hater, then someone always has to say STFU and then the forum goes astray from the original topic because of someones hypsensitivity to words that they read on the screen.

Always different views to any subject, people. Grow up a tiny bit and cease with the name calling.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8233
Posted From: 67.71.58.29
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally think what he is doing is admirable.
He seems to have always been true to himself and those around him.
As a business man he needs to keep making money. If he didn't, many on this forum would say he's just another mouth whose unemployed ass is stealing the govt's money (IE: welfare).

Kudos to a successful business man.

(Message edited by GOAT on March 13, 2006)

Nip

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romanized, you’re transparent as hell. We all know that the only reason you support Simmons is because of the fact that he's black. You said that. Anyone who supports someone solely based on the color of his or her skin is just plain stupid, not to mention ignorant.

Naturalsister, you're kicking a dead horse. There is no jealousy here, I've told you that. Find another argument. My disdain for Simmons is no different then my disdain for ANYONE who uses their power to take advantage of people. Whether they've done it once, or a thousand times. There is no way in hell you can tell me that this RushCard BS doesn’t gouge the very people it’s supposed to help. The last time I checked, this thread was a discussion about this program. Your comments are way off topic, stop trying to spin the issue. Do you work for Simmons? He must be paying you well; you make a great character witness.

Crash_nyc, I can understand you respecting RS’s business sense, but tell me this; do you respect the business sense behind this RushCard? Remember, it's supposed to help people.

Eastside

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Natural sister makes a great argument. I'm not a RS fan, I think he has ripped off alot of artist's he helped develop...but nip is still a hater, that much is painfully clear.

Nip

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, we've already established that Eastside. I'm sorry to see that you're in pain...

Eastside

Post Number: 808
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be OK...but go easy on us with you player hating.

Nip

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that you'll be okay...

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 12.31.43.42
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the big deal here? Russell Simmons is not the orignator of Prepaid debit card and according to one of the articles, the Rush card has one of the lowest fees among these products.

Is anyone claiming that there isnt a market for these cards or that they should be free?

Naturalsister

Post Number: 514
Posted From: 69.220.232.189
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An April report by New York's Public Interest Research Group:

"Of the 15 prepaid cards in the report, the RushCard was one of the least expensive"

from HUD (www.hud.gov/news)

"Highlights of the week's events include a conference call with Russell Simmons, the renowned entrepreneur and media mogul who founded UniRush Financial Services. He will discuss the importance of financial planning and spotlight a new Financial Literacy Training Program that will be conducted at Neighborhood Networks centers. Entitled "Financial Empowerment," the conference call will take place at 1 p.m. (EDT) on August 3 rd.

The pilot program will be launched initially at selected Neighborhood Networks centers in New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Jersey and Washington, D.C. and will teach residents of HUD insured and assisted housing how to better understand and improve their credit scores, set financial goals, create simple budgets and manage money online. The program may later be implemented in centers located in California, Florida, Massachusetts, Ohio, Texas, Washington and Puerto Rico."

I just think the attacks on the RUSH Card are unwarranted.

I don't know the guy, I don't work for him - he did give me some great advice that I followed with good results. So my partiality is evident.

I'll quit with calling people the green-eyed hater monster, but I'll probably just keep thinking it based on the way some phrase their arguments.

later - naturalsister

Romanized

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip,

Take your simple-minded ass over to stormfront, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Your damn right I am going to support black men getting paid. Leave to a dumbass like yourself to think we all need to stay in poverty.

So f*ck you and the rathole you crawled out of.

Nip

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 148.87.1.172
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The truth hurts, huh.

Eastside

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nip wishes so bad he could be RS

Nip

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, actually I wish you'd say something original.

(Message edited by Nip on March 13, 2006)

Broken_main

Post Number: 955
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I am sure we all support Mayor kilpatrick because he is....Black. Did we support Lonnie Bates because he is ....Black. What about Condolezza, Colin, and O.J. because they are Black.

321brian

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course the majority of black people supported O.J. just because he was black. It couldn't have been because they thought he was innocent.

I also think the city of Detroit (majority black) supported Lonnie Bates wayyyyyy too long.......becuase he is black.

Why anyone supports Kwame' is another thread all together.

Broken_main

Post Number: 965
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, lets get one started...lol

I have noticed that he has been flying below the radar lately and spurting out new developments and letting the CC mess up, therefore giving him a new and improved look. How long can it last???

321brian

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just watching The Apprentice (i know, i know) and they teased a story about Kwames broke promises. Should be a good one.

He was wearing his earbling in the footage. Hope it was old.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.