Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Photo Du Jour - March 6 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5361
Posted From: 65.92.101.106
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something I never thought I'd see... P.D.J.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 878
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the end result will be spectacular judging from the progress thus far. Thanks Andy!!!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3778
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so beautiful that the Ransom Gillis House is back to its splendor beauty. Gentrification can turn ghettos into a real neigborhoods again, but the ones who would be lost out of the of picture is the po-folks and low-income families as the nouveau riche folks move in.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2334
Posted From: 66.167.210.54
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I am happy to see any salvation of older structures, am I the only one who is disappointed that they are going so cheap on this one. Consider the missing third floor windows and the not restored chimney to the left of the turret. The turret roof is polygonal, not round, asphalt, not slate. The doorway below is sealed off and on an on. Picky, picky, I know, I hoped for more, but I'm not paying the bill either. :-)

Ditto for the two mansard roof house further down the street.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 490
Posted From: 70.186.39.150
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is progress coming on the Lucien Moore House?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3783
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine and almost done, but slow, due to RED TAPE! I remember 3 years ago where some squatters came in the abandoned Lucien Moore house just to take cover from the bitter cold and light a chimey fire, but the fire spread and half the house was in flames, but the DPD save some of it just in time.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1835
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is amazing. I wonder who looked at that and considering it had to be a business decision, believed that the house could be salvaged and restored. That to me, is a leap of faith. Nice.

Also, Perhaps a slate roof would be too heavy for a restoration at that location considering the structure they had to place it on. Just an assumption.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 64.118.136.130
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I hear what your are saying and can't agree more. At this point though I won't be choosy considering how far gone the structure was it is a miracle that it is being salvaged at all. I hope that they are setting it up such that at a future date a full restoration with all the historical elements can be completed. I.E. use it for apartments now and convert/fully restore it down the road as Detroit's recovery progress to condo's or single family residential.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8189
Posted From: 70.53.96.11
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rust, if they use it for apartments it will never be fully converted.

Lowell, if you look closely the roof is polygonal.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 903
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

goat, if you look at the link at the bottom of AIW's page, you will see that the turret roof was originally round ;)

design compromises aside, its an amazing example of rehabilitation

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8193
Posted From: 70.53.96.11
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mybad... : )

I agree. It is amazing that this thing was ever rehabbed in the first place.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3223
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This house sure is symbolic of a future for a very nasty area. Sadly, it isn't being done by architectural preservationists, but rather more to a patchwork budget. Props to them for grabbing the house and fixing it up. The area is still mostly blight, apart from some of us wearing rose colored glasses.

Props as always to Andrew for bringing us this good news. There is progress down there and more to come.

jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 80's there was a move to restore several of the BP mansions, including the Ransom Gillis, with a large grant. The round slate turret roof was restored at that time and work proceeded on several houses. Regrettablly the whole project was scandal-ridden, money disappeared, and the project was halted with varying degrees of restoration. [Does anyone have the low down on that sorry event.]

This was the time when streets, like Edmund and Watson btw. John R and Brush were replaced with walkways.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Addendum: If you look at the 1997 view in the classic Fabulous Ruins of Detroit Tour https://www.detroityes.com/gild/01b p-gillis.htm you can see the turret and restored slate roof are still in tact while some of the old restoration attempt scaffolding still remains. Note also that the center chimney is still there and the lovely arched windows of the turret. The decayed frame of the 3rd floor window can be seen too. Too bad then wasn't now!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1216
Posted From: 66.238.170.39
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It also needs to be taken into account that to truly restore this to the exact specs of the original would be nearly impossible due to the fact that the cost to fully restore would be greater than the value of the house one it is fully restored (including tax credits and other incentives). If you can't get insurance to cover the entire value of the property, you can't get financing for the deal.

In the future it may be feasible to do a slate roof, wrought iron detailing, stone work, etc. but not right now. These sorts of rehabs are definately the type of thing that will create a market for home values near the range required for a complete restoration.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos tells it like it tis.

Really good historic preservation often does not pencil out in a business sense.

The neighborhood is coming back, but ever so slowly.

Call Carlos Vergera. AIW's photos will make his day, hopefully. It is great having Lowell's reference photos readily handy.

jjaba.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 913
Posted From: 204.39.224.160
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was part of the program to sure up the house for future renovation, not a complete restoration just protecting from the elements and make it more attractive to developers. Perhaps that is why the third story wondows were left off of this and the others just as a temporary (cheap) fix until developers are found. If this is the case I hope the city stipulates that those features be restored.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 914
Posted From: 204.39.224.160
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was Skulker who described what I am reffering to.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby is correct. The current work being done on the Ransom Gillis and a few others in Brush Park is just mothballing for future renovation. This info is right from the mouth of the architect on the project.

(Message edited by Chub on March 06, 2006)

Jjaba

Post Number: 3236
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chub, you are THE one. Thanks for your quick diagnosis.

jjaba.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 264
Posted From: 68.42.171.71
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ransom Gillis, you are looking good!

Chub, I want my pavement DVD back!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.